• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Any idea which day the craziness will start? I can see the stadium from my office if I walk outside. I just want to know what to expect for the rest of the week.

Darkatomz

It already has. I live 5min walking distance to the stadium, and it seems like they've already blocked off the roads just after the convention center.

M52B28

Banned
On the day of the Superbowl, I'm just going to find a spot in SF and just people watch. It should be interesting.

Afterwards, I may retreat to my brothers place to cook up some dinner.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm supposed to drive to San Jose to watch at a friend's place. I wonder how bad traffic on 880 south will be that day...

M52B28

Banned
It's probably going to be a little less congested, but we won't know until the day.

I heard that in SF, they are trying to relocate the homeless in the city during the Superbowl. If so, that is a shame.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
they already did

Where do they take them to? I've heard stories of states busing out their homeless with one way tickets to this state. Others try to relocate them when it gets too cold. Not sure where they would be sent when there's events.

Where do they take them to? I've heard stories of states busing out their homeless with one way tickets to this state. Others try to relocate them when it gets too cold. Not sure where they would be sent when there's events.
they just move them a few streets over really

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
they just move them a few streets over really

Huh that's not too far, but I'm going to guess that they are enforcing it so them don't come over to the main streets with the events.

No although there is at least one gaffer who works in that office!

Oh :p I knew someone who did QA at Namco for a bit and would talk about watching Great America out the window. One of many businesses around there, though.

Huh that's not too far, but I'm going to guess that they are enforcing it so them don't come over to the main streets with the events.

Oh :p I knew someone who did QA at Namco for a bit and would talk about watching Great America out the window. One of many businesses around there, though.
there are fences and metal detectors and FBI and stuff near the events, no one is coming close who isn't wanted

AcridMeat

Banned
I went into work much later this morning and it was smooth. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning when I'm trying to beat the traffic in.

GamerJM

Banned
When I was a kid/teen whenever I'd go to Great America I'd always imagine going inside the Namco building to see some upcoming games >_>.

otapnam

Haha i work in sf and there's a bunch of homeland security trucks in a lot near the office. They've got a crazy bomb scanner truck that opens up so other trucks drive under it.

Needless to say my team has talked about working from home thurs n fri

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

I live in the Excelsior and there has been a large influx of homeless over the last few weeks. They normally leave this area alone because it's just a mix of large families just making by and small business owners.

M52B28

Banned
Haha i work in sf and there's a bunch of homeland security trucks in a lot near the office. They've got a crazy bomb scanner truck that opens up so other trucks drive under it.

Needless to say my team has talked about working from home thurs n fri
I never knew such thing existed.

They're not messing around then.

I work right next to Great America and I just told everyone on my team to not bother coming in on Friday.

Hmm, good to know. I'm more around Mission College Blvd, so not as close, but still in the general area. Close enough to see the stadium and close enough that we get signs up that state no stadium parking.

No although there is at least one gaffer who works in that office!

Oh? The new Namco office? They just moved in right near us.

v1lla21

Went to the stadium yesterday with my buddy and homeland told me to fuck off. Lol. These goddamn helicopters are annoying as hell.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
A lot busier today on the Embarcadero heading to the Ferry Building from the ballpark. More foot traffic, more cops around, even cops on the Muni. Also saw USCG folks at the ferry piers on watch for the first time this week.

I imagine it'll get even crazier tomorrow, Fri, and Sat.

Edit: USCG on the ferry as well. Crazy security.

Edit 2: Looking outside the boat, it seems there's a cruise ship docked at SF as well. lol

MC Safety

Dodged a bullet and didn't get the job in San Francisco. Moving would have been awful, rents would have been worse.

But I did get a free trip and burritos bought and paid for by mine prospective employer.

Orale Orale in the financial district has great burritos.

My only regret is I arrived in town too late to eat the breakfast burritos from the taqueria on second street, right by the Subway, etc.

Rootbeer

Banned
SO GLAD I won't have to be anywhere downtown after Thursday until Monday. I don't need that level of bullshit in my life, lol. It's already bad enough working downtown with the pre-event stuff going on in the area.

XiaNaphryz

On the way to work and then suddenly, PUPPY BOWL:

IZMYqMf.png

pgrame1.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well I know where my girlfriend will be all day instead of managing the shop. she feels pretty lucky to work in the ferry building today.

XiaNaphryz

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blo...ensho-ramen-opens-this-week-in-san-francisco/

After multiple delays, the first U.S. outpost of Tokyo’s Mensho Ramen will finally open its doors to the public this Saturday, February 6.

The brains behind uber-popular ramen chain is chef/owner Tomoharu Shono, whom Inside Scoop first spoke with last spring.

Shono, who has six ramen shops in Tokyo, considers himself to be a ramen creator (the title is even on his business card) and is known for his inventive ramen dishes, like foie gras tsukemen. In fact, each one of his restaurants offers a different theme when it comes to ramen, including one called Gotsubo that’s all vegetable-focused.

For San Francisco, the chef is importing a number of ingredients from Japan, including kombu (seaweed) and dried katsuo (skip-jack tuna) for making dashi. Shono also plans to make use of the abundance found in the Bay Area’s local farmer’s markets, which the chef likens to Disneyland.

Assisting Shono with the U.S. opening is business partner Abram Plaut. Originally from the Bay Area, Plaut has lived in Japan since 2004, where he’s made a name for himself as a ramen critic for Tokyo’s Weekly Playboy Magazine. This is how he and Shono first met.

Shono will be on-site for the next week or so to finalize the opening, then return to Japan. Plaut will also be dividing his time between Tokyo and San Francisco. Overseeing the kitchen when Shono’s not on-site will be Yoshihiro Sakaguchi, one of his former Tokyo ramen chefs.

As the restaurant gets up and running, the menu will have a limited number of items, including a small starter ramen, which is served by combining kombu dashi and kastuoboshi dashi via a coffee siphon, which will be poured over fresh noodles — served in a martini glass of all things. A ramen amuse bouche, if you will, Shono describes this dish as a “mini welcome” to all his guests.

One thing that won’t be on the menu just yet is Shono’s tonkotsu ramen. To make the broth properly at home in Japan, the chef cooks it for about 8-10 hours then removes it from the heat to age another 8-10 on the stovetop. With our strict safety regulations here stateside, that won’t do, so he’s currently perfecting a version that ages the broth in the refrigerator instead.

Shono has also imported a large noodle maker from Japan to make their own noodles, but the team is still building out the noodle room in the restaurant’s basement. Look for house-made noodles to debut in about six months or so.

Hours to start will be Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday from 5 p.m.-midnight; Friday-Saturday until 2 a.m. (This weekend only, the ramen shop will open at 6 p.m. rather than 5 p.m.) The hours may shift in the coming months and will eventually include lunch.

I'm planning on moving to San Jose in July/August and was wondering what the odds are of getting a studio for around $1300

Also, what are the odds of paying about $1000 for a 1 BR in a shared house?

My work is in downtown San Jose and I'd like to live near the office (5-10 miles away)

I'm planning on moving to San Jose in July/August and was wondering what the odds are of getting a studio for around $1300

My work is in downtown San Jose and I'd like to live near the office (5-10 miles away)

I think you're way more likely to find a 1BR in a shared house for $1000 than you are a studio for $1300. It'll also depend which area you want to live in and how far you're willing to commute to work.

rokkerkory

Doesn't look too good for that price. Maybe $1600 for a studio.

Shared house 1k is kinda doable in crummy places. 1.2k more likely in ok places.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I got a message on my Google Maps telling me about traffic being tight this weekend. :/ Can't wait for traffic on Sunday!!

broz0rs

http://www.calwestern.com/

I rent one of their apartments in Santa Clara and very happy with where I'm living.

Paying $1000 for 1 bedroom in a shared house is very viable and you could probably find a decent one in a good area that isn't shared with a murderer.

Paying $1300 for a studio is probably not viable and I'm not sure I would recommend it if you found one.

M52B28

Banned
That's what my brother does.

He ended up finding a really nice place with a room in the hills of San Mateo county near San Fran. He pays about $700 - $800 a month. It also turns out that his roommates are of the same age and have stuff in common, so they go out from time to time.

From what I'm understanding, a room for $1,000 in San Jose sounds reasonable. Now, I'm not too sure what that will get you, really, but if you look well enough and get out there, you'll find some decent places with decent people.

I have to go do some work in the city and I'm dreading it. Maybe it won't be that bad, but after what I experienced yesterday and Thursday, I just want to avoid it all.

I had to pick up a friend from that Superbowl mess; it took 1hr 30min to get to him...

XiaNaphryz

A day after hosting the Super Bowl, Santa Clara mayor resigns effective immediately

A day after his city drew the nation’s attention by hosting Super Bowl 50, Santa Clara Mayor Jamie Matthews held the spotlight Monday by announcing that he is leaving his job, effective immediately.

Matthews, 53, has nearly three years left to his term, his second as mayor. At a news conference, he gave little explanation except to say, “It’s time for me to focus on my family and look forward to the next chapter of my life.” Health issues are not behind the decision, he said.

The mayor’s staff issued a press release acknowledging the surprise, saying that Matthews “stunned reporters in attendance” at the news conference.

The Silicon Valley Business Journal said Matthews’ departure could leave the divided City Council gridlocked over such issues as the 49ers, district elections and a youth soccer park. The journal also pointed to recent tensions between some council members and city administrators.

Matthews is stepping down after more than 20 years in Santa Clara politics.
He’s been on the City Council three times, among other jobs. The city website notes that Matthews’ “ancestors arrived by covered wagon after traveling with the Donner Party in 1846.”

The City Council has 30 days to appoint an interim mayor.

Not fishy at all!

Top Bottom