• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Erdtree was Released Nearly One Month Ago: Do you think it will run for GOTY 2024?

Do you think Shadow of Erdtree will win Game of The Year

• Yes

Votes: 34 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • No but it might win some awards

Votes: 76 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
2BRbMgQ.jpeg

Shadow of Erdtree is one if not the best expansion of all time.
We seem to be in a unique situation with Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree, where its developer has lied about how big it is. It is…much, much bigger than they indicated, a sprawling production that is 4-5 times the size of many other games, and with stellar reviews it’s a serious question:

Could this be the first time possibly ever that an expansion to a game wins Game of the Year itself?(An expansion to a game that already won GOTY, no less). Honestly, it feels like a frontrunner, and if that pans out, it would indeed be unprecedented.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've got more fun and hours of playtime from this DLC than from many other AAA standalone games.

It's pretty good, and it being a DLC should not be taken into account when taking it into consideration for any awards.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Would be retarded if people can't just accept categories for what they are, but entirely unsurprising. Cyberpunk had a big DLC expansion last year.

But I'm sure people will not be able to handle the indignity of using accurate categories, because it's From Software.

I couldn't care less after the mockery of including remakes like RE4 and Dead Space in the short list last year. Can't fall lower than rock bottom.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's not a stand-alone release. It's DLC. Not eligible for GOTY but will likely win DLC or expansion of the year.

You people keep pushing that 'agenda' when you all know it's not eligible. (except on personal lists)

Last edited:
Agreed that dlc should be it's own category. Also disagree with this unspoken notion that it's length should somehow change that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I mean, so far it’s the best game released this year by at least a country mile.

And now I’m finally playing Lies of P, and that too is better than anything released this year, so far.

I’m really hoping Astrobot is as good as I think it will be. I’ve been hyping up a release from that team since my purchase of a PS5.

mdkirby

If it’s able to qualify, then so far from this years releases, yes. If not then no 🤷‍♂️…like I can’t think of anything so far this year that can challenge it.

Edit…actually helldivers 2…that would give it a run for its money

Last edited:

Hudo

It might win "best DLC". I don't think it will win GOTY.

Watch Dragon Age Wokegard win GOTY.

MagnesD3

As someone who thinks the base game might be the greatest game of all time I dont think it should, the DLC is a step down even if mostly great. Depends what else comes out to rival it I guess.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Some people and publications will be severely hung up on the fact that it's a DLC and claim it can't be eligible for GOTY.

Antwix

Voted yes just because it's amazing. Sure it's got some criticisms but it's better than 99% of the trash that gets released nowadays. But it's a dlc so no goty.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just create a new category:

Best game experience of the year

Can be a game, a dlc, or expansion, season etc. Just the best “thing” gaming put out that year. Could even be a new controller or console etc.

This would encompass the truly best thing no one should miss out on in that year. That’s what this dlc is. Must play or your gamer card is revoked.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Just create a new category:

Best game experience of the year

Can be a game, a dlc, or expansion, season etc. Just the best “thing” gaming put out that year. Could even be a new controller or console etc.

This would encompass the truly best thing no one should miss out on in that year. That’s what this dlc is. Must play or your gamer card is revoked.
Should just make a new category, best Elden Ring of the year.

phant0m

It will definitely win add-on/expansion of the year. Unfortunately I don't think it will be eligible for most GOTY awards.

Saber

As a DLC no. It might win some rewards because the scale is great for a DLC. Everything else falls incredibly short in comparison with the base game. Soundtrack, weapons, art direction, level design, boss design, you name it.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
No.

It still has major technical issues. I doubt From is able to fix the issues at all, I've read that it's tied to the engine

Such a shame. I've never had issues with the base game but the DLC is hard to play if it's constantly stuttering

Maybe someday..

They'll give a DLC of the year award to FromSoftware at The Game Awards. If there's not a category already then they're gonna make one for these guys. Geoff is gonna want their next game shown at TGA if it's ready that is.

LakeOf9

I imagine it will win in some places but anyone who expects it to win GOTY is being a little delusional (which is par for the course for bubble enthusiast communities like this or Reddit I guess)

proandrad

They could have pulled a Nintendo and change nothing, but calling it a full new game and charge full price and would have been game of the year. Fortunately From aren’t pieces of shit.

Fake

Gold Member
Sure do. I do think the base game is far more better, but this is not necessary a bad thing for the DLC overall.

Flabagast

I hope not, it's not even the best DLC released in the last 12 months (that would be Phantom Liberty), and tbh it really brings nothing new to the table in any way. It's just more Elden Ring on top of a 150h base game.

Top Bottom