• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Erdtree was Released Nearly One Month Ago: Do you think it will run for GOTY 2024?

Do you think Shadow of Erdtree will win Game of The Year

• Yes

Votes: 34 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • No but it might win some awards

Votes: 76 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fess

I’ll have it on my list. It holds the best gameplay you can get in 2024, so it certainly deserves it. It’s not a stand-alone release but the rules are stretched thin anyway with small games under a publisher competing for indie awards and e-sport players who haven’t even played gets nominated. Assuming you’re talking about TGA.

And Forza Horizon 5 is like an expansion to previous games: Same core gameplay with some added mechanics and new things to play around with and a new map.

Next COD game will be like the last one but new maps and theme.
Next Tekken will be like the last one but new stages.
Next Spider-Man will be like the last one but new villain and story.
Etc.

DragonNCM

No because Elden Ring was Dark Souls 3.5 and SOTE is Dark Souls 3.75
Elden Ring won GOTY 2022
200w.gif

Would be retarded if people can't just accept categories for what they are, but entirely unsurprising. Cyberpunk had a big DLC expansion last year.

But I'm sure people will not be able to handle the indignity of using accurate categories, because it's From Software.

I couldn't care less after the mockery of including remakes like RE4 and Dead Space in the short list last year. Can't fall lower than rock bottom.
Sad Cry GIF by First We Feast

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is it me or has the interest in this expansion fallen off a cliff?
It's a single player game that most people have beaten already, what did you expect?

Besides, I still see discussion about it here and in other places.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's a single player game that most people have beaten already, what did you expect?

Besides, I still see discussion about it here and in other places.
Also these days most of the games that are part of the “conversions” usually have some kind of controversy behind it which what makes them popular topic.

Mozzarella

No DLC ever was nominated for the Game of the Year award, but it may win or get nominated in category awards.
It will compete with Rebirth for RPG and if Rebirth is going to get GOTY then Elden Ring DLC will lose to Rebirth in the genre-category award.

Fbh

Gold Member
Doesn't matter how good it is, it really shouldn't be in any serious GOTY discussion.
It's a DLC and not even one that works as a standalone experience.

It's a mostly single player DLC with finite content. Most of the hardcore audience has already beaten it.
Also while it's really good it's basically more of the same, it didn't really introduce that many new mechanics or buillds for people to play around with that will really reiginite a massive discussion

And even so, Elden Ring is still the fourth most played game on Steam right now (and the most played paid game, since the top 3 are F2P games)

Last edited:

Gojiira

Nah, I love the dlc but man is it nowhere close to being GOTY, its not even Froms best expansion either…
See if it was truly as great as people say it would fundamentally change your experience, actually impact your understanding of the games narrative, and in that regard it really doesn’t. Its endgame content based around a mid game questline…
No The Old Hunters was a much, MUCH better expansion by far, Blood and Wine is a better expansion. SOTE is kinda just more of the same with a handful of good new bosses. Although the new gear is amazing, and to reclarify I love the dlc but its not the be all and end all of expansions…

Sorcerer

It's a slippery slope. Most expansions were probably just cut from the base game at release anyway. If they start nominating DLC, maybe we can get a category for best Microtransaction.

All the loremasters on YouTube have been quiet. Maybe they're still working on vids but I think everything in the DLC is just... flat. A lot of the grandness of the base game seems to have been set aside. And the boss fights don't appear to allow as much creativity as those in the base game. The punish windows are too tight.

Baron's Castle said he didn't enjoy it. I wonder how many other big Souls guys feel the same way but don't want to take the heat?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

No.
DLC is great but not the best of all time. For me it's just more Elden Ring which is good but it still brought the same flaws of the base game...

Great DLC, and it will win awards for sure.
GOTY ? No.
Should it contend for it ? No, it's a DLC that requires you to almost beat the base game (pretty big already) to access it and enjoy it fully. No reason to put it at the same level of a stand alone game.

Top Bottom