• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

Does this have that mode where if you die you go back to the beginning of the chapter? Only reason I haven't Plat that first game.
Considering this game plays more like Diablo than the linear chapter-based game the first one was, I doubt it.

I think there's just a bunch of difficulty modifiers, and better loot as compensation.

eshwaaz

So envious of you PC folks. Loved the first game; really looking forward to playing on PS4 early(?) next year. Game looks like a ton of fun.

How bullet spongey are the enemies compared to the first game?
Playing on hard difficulty, it's not bad, though I never had any complaints about enemies in the first game either, considering you can dodge most attacks.

Just don't turn it off of single-player unless you're actually playing with other people. Setting it at anything other than single-player substantially raises the difficulty, regardless of whether or not other players are in your lobby.

Oh

W2vqpsz.jpg

Akronis

But it's only like 15GB, so it's not THAT big of a deal.

Dude there are plenty of people with really shitty sub 5mbps internet in many developed countries. It is pretty shitty that they won't be able to play on launch day potentially because no preload.

Zafir

Co-op doesn't seem to count story progress for everyone, only the host. Which is pretty irritating. :X

Besides that seems pretty fun so far.

bathsalts

Completed the opening couple fights, This may somehow top Doom, its dope as hell. What a year for FPS this has been, its 2007 all over again, fucking Spacehulk and Rising Storm 2 still to come.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be interested to hear opinions from people who weren't massively into SW1 but are playing SW2.

Spinky

Game is fun as fuck.

Really, really impressed honestly.

And I thought the first Shadow Warrior was good, but really overstayed its welcome in the second half.

Am I missing something or are the transitions between areas completely unceremonious. One moment I'm in the tutorial zone, and next (after a non-transitional loading screen) I'm at the
Yakuza base
(I'm not sure if that deserves a spoiler tag considering it's literally the second zone, but better safe). It's even worse between
the Yakuza base and Zilla's lab; I though I missed a whole cutscene involving time portals or something.

Karak

Yeah, I honestly got fairly fatigued near the end of that game. Shorter is good for me.

I noticed that as well, it's super abrupt. Doesn't bother me too much personally, because I'm not interested in the story, and I'm okay with just sort of hopping between cool looking areas, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.

...well they explained it anyway so why would it bother folks? Are we...asking for huge number of insanely short cutscenes and such now?

Also longer than 12 hours for me. Obviously much of that is tied into the difficulty you choose and if your solo, coop and how many

...well they explained it anyway so why would it bother folks? Are we...asking for huge cutscenes and such now?

Presumably, there's a unobtrusive middle ground between "huge cutscenes and such now" and abruptly dropping the player in a
futuristic Neo-Tokyo with laser swords
. For a game that opens with Wang driving an 80's car with 80's music into a ancient temple, I think an explanation might be due.

Honestly though, I'm not asking for long exposition
(I actually kinda like the single "it's the future; deal with it" line Wang uses as justification. It's hammy, but it works)
. I just wish we got to see Wang briefly drive up to each location and get out if his car, just so the game has a base sense of continuity. Incidentally, the last game did this quite well.

It's simply confusing to to just spawn into
a randomly futuristic setting
. I genuinely though I'd missed an important cutscene. I might have taken it in stride had there been a scene of Wang leaving an elevator or parking his car. At least then, I definitely know I walked there rather than warp through space and time.

fooish101

Been trying to play the co-op but we keep getting an error you need to complete the introduction mission, any idea how far in you need to play before we can team up, been playing for about an hour, just got past the first few missions and still no luck...

Torn between dq builders and this..

I've been torn back and forth all day with so much awesome stuff to play between this, PSVR, Duke 3d 20th Anniversary, and new Battleborn/Paladins content it's been a long time since this much awesome content was released in such a short time span :D

My gut says to go with the Wang though, even with all that great stuff I listed I'm finding myself coming back to SW2 the most :p What we really need now is a new Duke Nukem game that lives up to the franchise the way that the new SW and Doom games have.

MazeHaze

Banned
The HDR implementation is siiiick. Everything looks great and really pops. This is a super colorful game. Color me impressed ;)

I'm afraid after playing this, all SDR games are gonna look so dull.

Patchy

Banned
Whoa, it has a photo mode that instantly turns a photo into a background for an old LucasArts game? That's awesome.

Yeah you can pixelate any image, you can also frame forward while in photo mode as well, so say there's a storm, you can step through the shot until you see lightning etc.

Best photo mode implementation I've ever seen in a game.

Story is pretty disappointing. I've just kind of started ignoring that aspect of the game.

Borderlands nailed this. Shadow Warrior needs to either get a good story, or let it take the backseat. Right now it's a bad story that is far too prominent.

Game is fun. Dunno how I feel about looking at a menu with a faster paced game like this though.
I'm not a fan of the loot system. I'm spending too much time paused in between fights, trying to figure out what the best slots to throw on everything are.

It's just not intuitive at all. I'm finding myself basically removing all the slots from a weapon, then re-equiping the best ones that I have available.

Would be better off getting rid of the slots, and just having weapon drops with different stats and bonuses.

Q8D3vil

I'm not a fan of the loot system. I'm spending too much time paused in between fights, trying to figure out what the best slots to throw on everything are.

It's just not intuitive at all. I'm finding myself basically removing all the slots from a weapon, then re-equiping the best ones that I have available.

Would be better off getting rid of the slots, and just having weapon drops with different stats and bonuses.

Same, and some weapons like the pistols kinda feel clunky on purpose ( have to upgrade it to make it better ).

Same, and some weapons like the pistols kinda feel clunky on purpose ( have to upgrade it to make it better ).
I'm still using starter pistol and starter shotgun because the one pistol upgrade they did give me was significantly worse, and I haven't even had any shotgun drops.

Justinh

Aw man, I totally forgot about this game.

Heard them talking about Stan Bush making new music just for this game in the Giant Bomb QuickLook? That's crazy, but it might have to wait until next month until I can play it.

I never beat the first game. It really felt like a drag(on) later on in the game. I guess I have time to do that now. I just need to be able to pull myself away from the Gears series now.

edit: Ah! Wow, that's got that certain sound to the song...

Tahnit

Banned
Holy shit this game is incredible. Feels so good slicing and dicing. Energy swords for the win. Runs like a dream on my 1070 as well. Really fucking impressed.

DJ_Lae

Game is more and more fun to play as weapons get doled out - and they seem to be remarkably varied so far, I hope that part continues.

The only weird aspect is how much different the structure is. If it weren't Wang, it would almost feel like a completely different game.

Been really tempted to skip the pre-mission dialogue bits but haven't caved yet.

Vintage

Played 2-3 hours yesterday and I love it. Just what I imagined and expected from this game.
A solid pc version, mostly holding 60fps ultra on GTX970, no stutters or anything. Great array of settings, looks good overall, although I wouldn't recommend getting very close to npcs, some of them are just super low-poly. Accidentally entered photo mode (didnt' know it had one) and spent 10 minutes trying to set up a shot - it has an abundance of settings to play with.
I usually like fps-rpg hybrids, so I very much enjoy getting loot, upgrades, skills. There's a lot of them, but it didn't feel that they overshadow gameplay. The game actually showers you with new weapons and upgrades faster than you can try them out and so far it helps keeping gameplay fresh.
Some people worried that the semi-open procedurally generated world will ruin the design, but it's definitely not the case. Everything feels natural, easy to navigate and makes the gameplay better, which brings me to the best part so far - movement.
Movement is just fantastic. The game gives you dash and double jump from the start and it's so natural and fluent that you can traverse where you want without thinking about it. At the start of the game I wanted to try if I can jump off the cliff from the map to see if I can kill myself or there's an invisible wall - there's no wall and when I was already falling I realised I didn't want to die, so I turned around double jumped mid-air, dashed and grabbed the ledge to pull myself back in. I did it so instinctively I didn't even think what to press, and this was at the beginning when I haven't had time to get used to controls. I stopped after that to think if I did that myself or the game automatically did that for me. Also, the best way to run around is jump-dash-jump: second jump preserves your momentum, it's like super dash.
Open levels mean that there's very little invisible walls and it opens so many possibilities both for combat and for exploring levels. A lot of times 'gps' on minimap shows a way around, but I can see that I can jump on some rocks or rooftops and cut corners and that usually works. There's obvious paths and roads, but the game doesn't break if you just brute-force your way wherever you want.
What I don't like is some stuff with menus. You need to exit to main menu to quit the game. I had to click everything and press every button to learn how to upgrade skills -you need to press a small diamond under the skill, but mouse prompt says that you need to double click left mouse button. I spent 15 minutes running around lost in hub area at start because I couldn't figure out how to talk to Smith - I thought one of the dialog options was not the option but what he's saying. I was sure that my only reply is "I'll come back later". Dialog options are not highlighted when you mouse over and you need to click on small icon next to dialog option, not the text itself, so unintuitive.
Hopefully the game will continue to be great.

Top Bottom