• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Lime

I have to quote this for the new page. It's pretty impressive that this is going to be the actual in-game graphics:

srr_scene06_docks.jpg

srr_scene05b_tenements_crop01.jpg

srr_scene04_lab.jpg

srr_editor01_lab.jpg

srr_editor02_barrens.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So stuff like the lighting, rain and puddles, and attack effects are probably shopped on top and thus don't look like they will in the game, but otherwise it is pretty accurate (just not final design of an actual place in the game)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Look at those screenshots. I haven't come to acceptance that this and the online game and Project Eternity exist, but this screenshot is like 'yep! LOOK AT IT!' It looks so good.

I wasn't able to Kickstart it, and I hate using PayPal. Surely this will be available on Steam or GOG when it's out, right?

Look at those screenshots. I haven't come to acceptance that this and the online game and Project Eternity exist, but this screenshot is like 'yep! LOOK AT IT!' It looks so good.

I wasn't able to Kickstart it, and I hate using PayPal. Surely this will be available on Steam or GOG when it's out, right?

Can't imagine any reason why it couldn't be on either service, I wouldn't worry.

Fjordson

All sounds awesome. This and GTA V are the biggest games of the year for me, really can't wait. Hope it makes their summer target.

Chapter and Scene Introductions set the context and emotional landscape for the scene you are about to play
In-world GM pop-ups describe the sights, sounds, and smells that your character is experiencing at this moment. For those of you who are unfamiliar with tabletop role-playing, GM stands for “Game Master” - the person charged with setting the stage and refereeing the action.

<3

new update:
As Jordan mentioned in his Developer’s Diary last Friday, we have some exciting stuff coming in the next couple of weeks and the team has been hard at work to deliver.

“What sort of exciting stuff”, you ask?

How about a look at Shadowrun Returns in action!!!

On Sunday, March 10th at South By Southwest in Austin, TX, Jordan and I will do a LIVE DEMO of Shadowrun Returns and take questions from the audience. Also in attendance will be our Guest of Honor, Erik Dahlman, one of our $10,000 Backers (and resident of Austin).

SXSW is another great opportunity to get some press for the game and help get the word out. But don’t worry, you won’t need to attend the show to see the game in action! We’re releasing a VIDEO WALKTHROUGH of Shadowrun Returns gameplay, narrated by Jordan and me, the Friday before the show. We’ll release our first set of REAL SCREENSHOTS, too.

And don’t forget, we’ll be at Seattle’s Emerald City Comic Con tomorrow, March 2, talking about the game, answering questions, and doing the dwarf dance as little as possible. We’ll be in the Gaming Room at 12pm. Hope you can join us!

srr_troll_shaman-600x375.jpg

source + more characters

ZoddGutts

I'll be covering the SXSW panel. Anyone have questions they want answered?

How many hrs will it take to complete the game with and without side quest.

How's the replayity sp? on the game?

Will choices that the player makes during the game affect how the characters will act around you?

How many endings to they expect the game to have?

Will the choices you make affect the ending? (different endings)

Do they have any interest in bringing the game to consoles?

Do they have any interest in continuing making more Shadowrun games after finishing on Shadowrun Returns? Or will they move on to other project that isn't Shadowrun.

Is their a Game+ after beating the game?

How many hrs will it take to complete the game with and without side quest.

How's the replayity sp? on the game?

Will choices that the player makes during the game affect how the characters will act around you?

How many endings to they expect the game to have?

Will the choices you make affect the ending? (different endings)

Do they have any interest in bringing the game to consoles?

Do they have any interest in continuing making more Shadowrun games after finishing on Shadowrun Returns? Or will they move on to other project that isn't Shadowrun.

Is their a Game+ after beating the game?

I may be completely confused right now but didn't they already confirm that there will be different endings according to your decisions?

Got my finger on the trigger for the deluxe edition, just need to see how the game plays compared to the SNES game.

Those screens look really nice though, hopefully it holds ups in motion.

Fjordson

Wow! Looks excellent.

I'm thoroughly impressed (and a little surprised) by the production values. It just looks great from top to bottom. I was sort of...apathetic towards the character art they put out earlier. Wasn't really crazy about it. But in motion the characters look superb. Environments are nice as well. Lots of detail and atmosphere.

Even the UI looks good. Very clean.

Feeling pretty happy overall about this. The wait here on out is going to be painful, though

Fjordson

Thanks lawrence. Love the look of that street! So many small details. God damn, I'm hyped.

I love how they're exposing the "tech" so to speak like on the outside of some of the buildings and whatnot. Very Blade Runner-esque =D

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I haven't really been following the progress, so I was really surprised by the alpha video. It looks great. I can already see myself sinking a ton of time into it.

Purkake4

Banned
One thing I'd like them to do is to make all the damage a range (10-15) it seems fixed at the moment and only modified by the "weak" and "critical" stuff. Fixed damage always irks me for some reason.

Oh and maybe have an optional console to see all the dice throws, that's always fun.

Didn't see this posted yet. You can upgrade your backer level if you were excited enough by the gameplay video!
Hairebrained Schemes said:
Want To Upgrade Your Backer Level?
Update #44 · Mar. 08, 2013 · 52 comments

We are incredibly excited and humbled by the great response to the First Look Video we released this morning. Thank you all so very much!

Even though our account system/website isn't online yet, the number of email requests asking for the abililty to upgrade Backer levels has convinced Producer Brian to volunteer to process each request by hand. (We love you, Brian!)

If you would like to upgrade, please send Brian your current Backer status and the level you would like to be upgraded to (you can check your current backer status on the Kickstarter website). He'll coordinate with you about making the approprite PayPal payment. His email address is brian@hbs-studios.com.

The team definitely has a "spring in their step" this morning with all the positive feedback and constructive comments. They're smiling from ear to ear while keeping their noses to the grindstone.

Thanks!

HBS

Edit: Turns out they're really going on in 10 minutes!
Even More Late Breaking News!
Update #46 · Mar. 14, 2013 · comment

There's been a lot of confusion because of a plane delay but our Daring Duo made it to the studio as originally planned and will be going on at 11am.

Hope you can jump online but, even if you can't, it'll be available after on YouTube.

Here's the link again - twitch.tv/gamespot

So very, very sorry for the confusion.

LATE BREAKING NEWS!

Late Breaking News!
Update #45 · Mar. 14, 2013

Today - Thursday, March 14 at 1pm PST - Jordan and Mitch will be doing a Q&A at Gamestop that will be on Twitch TV. This is a great opportunity for us to reach a larger audience that may not have heard about Shadowrun Returns yet.

This is the link if you can drop everything and check in on them. twitch.tv/gamespot

If you aren't able to see it live, the video will be available after so you won't miss a thing!

So sorry for the late notice!

LOL at Gamestop/Gamespot confusion

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
New Project update!: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/449984

When will the game be released?

Shadowrun Returns will release in June.

How will I download the game when it&#8217;s released?

After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.

So, we're happy to announce that all Backers will receive a Steam Key for the game and will be able to contribute and browse community-created content using Steam Workshop.

We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn&#8217;t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we&#8217;ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you&#8217;ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.

Now, that may prompt the question, &#8220;What about DRM-free?&#8221; To honor our original promise of a DRM-free version of the game, the Harebrained Account Website will also contain a downloadable version of Shadowrun Returns that does not include Steam integration. While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam.

Will people be able to pre-order the game on Steam?

Yes. Pre-orders for Shadowrun Returns and the Shadowrun Returns Deluxe Edition will be available on Steam Monday, April 29th 2013. Again, the last chance to pre-order the Collectors Edition or get the pre-order discounts on harebrained-schemes.com is Sunday, April 28th 2013. Please spread the word.

What sort of DLC can we expect?

Here&#8217;s what we&#8217;re planning to make available for paid download after launch:

Berlin Campaign (new campaigns also allow you to build with an expanded set of tiles)
Map Packs (new terrain tiles and props for you to use in your own campaigns)
All New Shadowrun Stories (created by HBS)
Additional Outfits and Portraits for your character

Now to be clear, our Backers and Collector&#8217;s Edition Pre-orderers will get the Berlin Campaign at no charge. Any DLC developed after launch will require payment.

Lime

I can't wait to see what the community will produce. Shit, it feels like the 90's all over again.

EDIT: June? wow, that's quick.

Purkake4

Banned
Great news about the June release.

Not sure why they don't just put it on GOG instead of doing a half-assed direct download...

DiscoJer

This news about having to use Steam for mods stinks. I was going to play this on my laptop this summer, outside without an internet connection. It doesn't even have Steam on it, and I really don't want to load it.

Somehow PC games could be modded for decades without Steam Workshop.

zkylon

zkylewd
This news about having to use Steam for mods stinks. I was going to play this on my laptop this summer, outside without an internet connection. It doesn't even have Steam on it, and I really don't want to load it.

Somehow PC games could be modded for decades without Steam Workshop.
yeah I hate everything about the steam workshop.

valve should've stayed the fuck away from modding

inm8num2

That's too bad that non-Steam users will miss out on some stuff. Makes me wonder if one of the major drawbacks of KS is that the backers don't have the power of a publisher to really hold the developer accountable for something.

Top Bottom