• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't think I'm going to get this next one because after I voted in the first one I used the "don't email me anymore" link they provided. Oh well.

Sera O

Banned
I voted HK because it's always fun to see a place I'm kind of familiar with transformed in a game. However, I love Berlin too and would enjoy the atari teenage riot thing they seem to have going for it, so it's a win/win either way from my perspective.

Keasar

The difference between BERLIN and HONG KONG was less than 1%!!!

So. . . IT'S A RUN-OFF!!!

A run-off survey was just sent to backers. We'll announce the results Monday, May 21st.

Decided to vote for Berlin this time, a non-english speaking european country would be nice. Though Hong Kong wouldnt be a bad choice either.

Aselith

Oops, I hit done without making a selection and it completed the survey anyways so now I can't pick. lol well I picked...something.

Gaspode_T

I switched vote from HK to Berlin because I thought the magic focused thing of HK would be a little corny and Berlin would have better chance of making Shadowrun popular to young audiences

Fjordson

Slowly realizing that this is my most anticipated game out of all the recent Kickstarter projects.

Chose Berlin btw, but any of the cities would be cool I'm sure.

I'll be doing my best to livepost the Kickstarter Games panel at SDCC next Saturday, but I doubt Weisman will drop any nuggets about the game.

DiscoJer

Some concept art was posted...

http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/shadowrun-returns-concept-art/

Eh, not digging the character art. Hopefully the concept is just that and not indicative of the final product :/

Way too cartoony for my taste. And it's not even the cartoon-ish part that is the problem, something like in Ralph Bashki's style could work, but it looks like a Saturday Morning kid's cartoon. Way too bright and colorful and soft (despite the use of a lot of brown).

Yo Gotti

Banned
I dig that art.

If there was on thing that turned me off about the Shadowruns of the past it was how they tried make all the mystical elves and orcs realistic looking. Ended up looking a little to generic fantasy for my tastes.

Alboreo

I dig that art.

If there was on thing that turned me off about the Shadowruns of the past it was how they tried make all the mystical elves and orcs realistic looking. Ended up looking a little to generic fantasy for my tastes.

I agree, I'm really enjoying the art style they went with in these pictures. I wasn't a huge fan of the art style from before, either.

Aselith

Way too cartoony for my taste. And it's not even the cartoon-ish part that is the problem, something like in Ralph Bashki's style could work, but it looks like a Saturday Morning kid's cartoon. Way too bright and colorful and soft (despite the use of a lot of brown).

Yeah, I don't really want my orcs looking like I should be talking to them in Barrens chat. I like the top three but the bottom two are not looking so hot. Hopefully, they work out a nice house art style and these are just early concepts.

Lime

New wallpaper. I agree that the art style is too "soft" and round:

renraku_skyline_1920zokkv.png

Lime

They are probably going for a visual style that translates well to their sprite-work. If you look at Crimson: Steam Pirates and Strikefleet Omega (much smaller budget obviously):

skull_combat1.jpg

ss04.jpg

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think the art style looks awesome, and it's own thing.

The characters look cool, and the background concept art looks amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take this.

DiscoJer

Blackheim

Ugh yeah I saw that earlier. The character design/art ruins it for me completely. I'm starting to regret backing the project. Hopefully those characters get an overhaul.

Fjordson

More concept art today (I'd link it, but the files is like 3.3 megabytes). Almost hidden in a post about GenCon.

Shows what the city view/legwork screen might look like.

http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/there-and-well-still-there-a-gencon-tale-by-harebrained-schemes/

To me it looks good, but they've continued (not surprisingly) the cartoon style characters, which isn't quite what I expected out of Shadowrun (reminds me of the movie Cool World, which I think about 5 people saw)
Love the look of that screen.

Not crazy about the cartoony style, but it's not a big deal for me.

Keasar

I have no problems with the art looking like that. If they can make some cool animations for it too I am even more fine.

Lime

Agree with the criticism of the art style. It reminds me of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes or Swords & Soldiers. The outlines of characters and buildings are too round and soft, and I don't think this "fluffy" visual style fits the tone of a cyberpunk RPG. However, I still think the concept art in itself is technically pretty.

Here's the art:

Gattsu25

Banned
haha, typical Dennis. You do know that it's possible to view quoted images in full sizes if you click on it? I usually just quote large images like what I did above, so the people with small monitors have the option to mess up their browser view, rather than force them to it :)
Even when clicked it is not full sized.

Gattsu25

Banned
Either quickly drag the picture (it will full-size) or right-click->view image (new page in full size). It's been the standard since the new forum update last year.
I know about the feature. I'm just glad that Dennis saved me from having to drag the image to a new tab by posting it in full size

Thanks, DennisK4.

Dice

Alright, in isometric view I don't mind the art style, even though it still reminds me of Gorillaz. Something about zooming way the fuck out allows me to accept a not-so-realistic world. Still... I feel weird calling it cyberpunk. Even if that is the theme of the game, it is not what has been firmly established as the look, which is dark, gritty realism. Perhaps they are trying to emphasize that Shadowrun is not traditional cyberpunk, that the fantasy side of it is not merely technical contributions but also a flavor of whimsy in presentation and attitude as well. It will be interesting to see how this compares to Shadowrun Online.

Unicorn

It's like they're trying to distill the whole game into one concept image.

KuGsj.gif

useless barricades (doubled up no less), random doves flying by in the rain, blade-runner ripped chinese food station, clashing 'modern' bus with super futuristic busted car, trees growing out of bricks in the middle of the road, among other smaller things I won't nitpick because it's stupid to do so.

Fjordson

Alright, in isometric view I don't mind the art style, even though it still reminds me of Gorillaz. Something about zooming way the fuck out allows me to accept a not-so-realistic world. Still... I feel weird calling it cyberpunk. Even if that is the theme of the game, it is not what has been firmly established as the look, which is dark, gritty realism.
Would you prefer them to go even more futuristic? It seems a bit too close to the present day world. Or at least that's what it seems like. I'm not very familiar with the Shadowrun universe so maybe this is how it's always been. Still, I like it overall. Just a bit different from what I imagined it'd be like.

And that's so funny you mention Gorillaz (I'm assuming you mean the band). Couldn't put my finger on it, but it totally does remind me of their artwork.

Dice

Would you prefer them to go even more futuristic? It seems a bit too present day in my eyes. Or at least, at least that's what it seems like. I'm not very familiar with the Shadowrun universe so maybe this is how it's always been. I still like it overall, though. Just a bit different from what I imagined it'd be like.
Well cyberpunk usually has modern day stuff that is the slummy shithole parts of the world where they have technological stuff but all in the old structure, then in another area or maybe a floating/suspended area above it, a hyperadvanced and cleaner fully technological city. From what I have read of Shadowrun stuff, they separate these into districts rather than have crazy stuff like floating cities, but they still keep the base concept of class separation while adding fantasy things.

And that's so funny you mention Gorillaz (I'm assuming you mean the band). Couldn't put my finger on it, but it totally does remind me of their artwork.
Yep, that's it.

Sentenza

Personally, I love it. Maybe not the style I would pick myself if i was in charge, but as far as the game itself is good and it looks pretty enough (which is definitely the case here) I'm totally fine with it.

To be honest, it looks far better than the first concept screen for Wasteland 2 to me.

Fjordson

Personally, I love it. Maybe not the style I would pick myself if i was in charge, but as far as the game itself is good and it looks pretty enough (which is definitely the case here) I'm totally fine with it.

To be honest, it looks far better than the first concept screen for Wasteland 2 to me.
Agreed on all counts.

Dice

Yeah the only thing about Wasteland 2 that appeals to me is the potential for kickass writing. I didn't even back it.

Top Bottom