• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shank |OT| (PC/XBLA/PSN)

tjohn86

snap0212 said:
I feel like the controls are not nearly as responsive as they should be? Am I the only one thinking so?

My only gripe with the controls is jump... sometimes it just doesnt work

snap0212

That's it. Shank and I are never going to be friends. I just can't play it anymore. I've stopped playing when I had to fight
Cassandra
. The controls just don't work for me - at all. I press the shoot-button and when Shank is doing a combo there's no way to react to what your enemy is doing. When
Cassandra
is far away I grab my Pistol and shoot her but before the combo even ended
she
is right in front of me to slice my face. No matter how often I press the L1 + Analog Stick left/right Button to dodge... nothing happens. To me it seems like what you press now is going to happen a second later. No fun in a game where you have to react to fast moving enemies. Maybe some people can deal with this (seems like it) and I'm glad they can enjoy the otherwise really cool game, but the slow-ass controls are annoying as hell. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be, but I don't want this kind of lag in my games. Should have tried the demo a bit more before I bought it, I guess.

Moobabe

snap0212 said:
That's it. Shank and I are never going to be friends. I just can't play it anymore. I've stopped playing when I had to fight
Cassandra
. The controls just don't work for me - at all. I press the shoot-button and when Shank is doing a combo there's no way to react to what your enemy is doing. When
Cassandra
is far away I grab my Pistol and shoot her but before the combo even ended
she
is right in front of me to slice my face. No matter how often I press the L1 Button to dodge... nothing happens. To me it seems like what you press now is going to happen a second later. No fun in a game where you have to react to fast moving enemies. Maybe some people can deal with this (seems like it) and I'm glad they can enjoy the otherwise really cool game, but the slow-ass controls are annoying as hell. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be, but I don't want this kind of lag in my games. Should have tried the demo a bit more before I bought it, I guess.

L1 isn't dodge, it's block. You have to hold L1 and press a direction to dodge

tjohn86

Beat the game and loved it. Totally worth 1200 but man hard is kicking my ass.

I only unlocked 4 costumes... gonna have to work on that

Moobabe

snap0212 said:
Ah, I just edited my posting. :) That's what I did, of course. The problem is still the same.

I didn't have that problem. What I would recommend though is to not use guns on that boss, or any boss for that matter, and focus on counter attacking almost exclusively.

snap0212

Moobabe said:
I didn't have that problem. What I would recommend though is to not use guns on that boss, or any boss for that matter, and focus on counter attacking almost exclusively.
edit: Ugh, I think the problems I have are not the controls but the fact that Shank must finish every single animation you start. That's it! Hate this in every genre and I hate it here. :/

edit45: Shit, I don't know exactly what I hate anymore.

I didn't notice the lag until someone here mentioned it.

I assume they were trying to make the character feel heavy like Gears of War. It fits, imo but I've only made it to the second level so far so no controller throwing fits of rage just yet.

I'm cheap only like paying 400 points for xbla games, but enjoyed the demo so much i'm picking this up. Love the mood, look and story of the game. The moves are so great I doubt i'll get tired performing it. I'm a dpad player and I didnt notice not using it till i just read the post above again.

burgerdog

I just beat this on hard. :D Best piece of advice I could give is, use the Dual Handguns(you start the game with them.) Due to the fact that you get the shotgun fairly early into the game I completely stopped using the DH completely. Little did I know how damn powerful they are, I was practicing the last stage before the final boss on normal because I kept dying at the very end. There's a very annoying part near the end where a rifleman shoots you and you fall off the stage and you die, and in hard you have to start all over again. Anyway, after figuring out how to avoid falling off the stage I decided to stick with the DH almost exclusively for the chapter and it was a breeze. Grapple > Chain the big guys, DH > Everything else. I need to replay some earlier stages with the DH just to see how easy they are now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I find the game incredibly frustrating sometimes (no instantaneous cancel for combos, constant hiccups with pounce and auto wall-climb), but it's still fun. It's nowhere as good as I was hoping, but it's definitely fun.

The voice acting is also fucking terrible. Good lord, I expect this kind of crap from a low budget release of a Japanese game, but not an American developed, EA published downloadable.

Moobabe

thetrin said:
The voice acting is also fucking terrible. Good lord, I expect this kind of crap from a low budget release of a Japanese game, but not an American developed, EA published downloadable.

That seems to be the point?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Such a disappointing game. I enjoyed how over the top it was and the visuals were pretty but being able to beat all the bosses by just mashing dodge+attack is kind of ridiculous.

Demo impressions:

Like the art style during gameplay but hate the cutscenes. The sound effects and voice acting and awful story make it seem so amateur, which isn't fair to the well put together gameplay visuals.

Combat has too many buttons. Why does a brawler use every button on my 360 controller? Why have a pounce button when you have a jump button?

Combat is fun but I was done with it by the demo level. I've played this game 100 times before and with just as little depth as before. You gotta bring something more than chainsaws and combos to keep my interest. If the game had a story that I could grasp onto, I would have bought it. The combat is ok enough for me to want to play more if I had some kind of motivation. I don't care about me as a character and I don't care about the "bad guys" that i'm beating up... it's unimmersive like a bad action flick rather than immersive like a classic action flick.

The hit detection is so bad that it borders on buggy. This is a real shame, considering it's a 2d fighter that should rely on distance as a stratagem to playing the game properly.

The platforming seems completely unnecessary. Maybe it ramps up or become infused with the gameplay, but the demo didn't really display that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished the game today. Probably one of the poorest imitations of beat em up gameplay I've played in some time. Great visuals, great music, but the missteps in the gameplay design make me glad the game is so short.

All in all, the game was really not very good (and the story was downright retarded. Some cartel thug is dating a preschool teacher? really?)

Mr. B Natural said:
Demo impressions:

Like the art style during gameplay but hate the cutscenes. The sound effects and voice acting and awful story make it seem so amateur, which isn't fair to the well put together gameplay visuals.

Combat has too many buttons. Why does a brawler use every button on my 360 controller? Why have a pounce button when you have a jump button?

Combat is fun but I was done with it by the demo level. I've played this game 100 times before and with just as little depth as before. You gotta bring something more than chainsaws and combos to keep my interest. If the game had a story that I could grasp onto, I would have bought it. The combat is ok enough for me to want to play more if I had some kind of motivation. I don't care about me as a character and I don't care about the "bad guys" that i'm beating up... it's unimmersive like a bad action flick rather than immersive like a classic action flick.

The hit detection is so bad that it borders on buggy. This is a real shame, considering it's a 2d fighter that should rely on distance as a stratagem to playing the game properly.

The platforming seems completely unnecessary. Maybe it ramps up or become infused with the gameplay, but the demo didn't really display that.

The platforming ramps up, but it remains completely dumb and unnecessary. The action is fundamentally broken on so many levels that you wonder how anyone let it out of Klei to begin with. A really poor first showing for Klei.

Moobabe said:
That seems to be the point?

The voice acting is purposely terrible? Well, then they failed there, too. It's not even obviously bad. It's just bad enough that I hate it.

snap0212 said:
Yupp. No D-Pad support.
I'm guessing you will be able to use one of the MadCatz fightpads and then switch the dpad to emulate the left stick. Not sure how the rest of the controls would map out to the 6 face buttons though.

Pengew

Tried the demo seems fun but the " Flash Game " look to everything is not good. Is no one else put off by the horrible animation? It looks like cheap flash animation. I seriously can not get over how shitty it looks. Is this what passes as animation these days?

thetrin

galactus_eat_world said:
Tried the demo seems fun but the " Flash Game " look to everything is not good. Is no one else put off by the horrible animation? It looks like cheap flash animation. I seriously can not get over how shitty it looks. Is this what passes as animation these days?

Yeah, the animation got on my nerves, too.

tjohn86

Finally got around to playing the coop portion. Definitely worth the $15 if you have someone to play the multi player with.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I tried the demo and this game is all I wanted it to be. Will unlock it tommorow.

Labadal

Sorry for the bumb...

Got the game for $5 thanks to free PS+ subscription and it's really enjoyable so far. Read complaints about the controls, but the character does what I want him to do. Easy to control and fun as hell. Looks great too. can't wait to try the multiplayer after I'm done with the main game.

Labadal said:
Sorry for the bumb...

Got the game for $5 thanks to free PS+ subscription and it's really enjoyable so far. Read complaints about the controls, but the character does what I want him to do. Easy to control and fun as hell. Looks great too. can't wait to try the multiplayer after I'm done with the main game.

Yeah, I don't quite understand the complaints about the controls either. I never had an issue getting my dude to kill other dudes the way I wanted him to. Co-op is pretty enjoyable too...I appreciate that it's a completely separate story and everything, not just singleplayer mode with another player. I thought it was well worth the $15 I originally paid.

Top Bottom