• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge |OT| - Eight years of rubbing and wishing!

hwl8r9.jpg

2vmbifk.jpg

Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Game Trailer
By Wayforward
Platform: Nintedo DSi / DSi XL
Available through DSiWare store for 1200 Points!

US Release: 10/4/2010
European Release: 2/11(ish)/2011
Japan Release: ????

The sequel to the seminal Gameboy Color action platformer. You control Shantae, the half-genie guardian on Scuttle Town as she foils the nefarious schemes of dread pirate Risky Boots and her legion of Tinkerbat underlings.

Game play is reminiscent of Metroid series, with dancing! As you progress through the stages you will learn new dance techniques to transform Shantae into various animal and mer incarnations, each new form granting Shantae a new ability to overcome some obstacle on a stage, or to reach a previously inaccessible part of a stage.

Cast of Characters:

The Hero!
Cast_Shantae.jpg

Shantae - The heroine of our story. Innocent yet hot-headed, Shantae dreams of one day becoming a true genie instead of just half of one. She protects Scuttle Town from her Lighthouse on the bay. She has a strong sense of right and wrong.

The Enemy!
Cast_RiskyBoots.jpg
Cast_Tinkerbats.jpg

Risky Boots - This nefarious Lady Pirate is the self-proclaimed Queen of the Seven Seas. She commands an army of loyal Tinkerbats and won't rest until she has it all. And why not? A woman of her caliber deserves it.

Friends and Allies!
Cast_Rottytops.jpg

Rottytops - A free spirit who travels by caravan. She's carefree to the point of rude, but is generally good natured... when it suits her purpose. She shares a shaky friendship with Shantae, and celebrates herself as a bad influence.

Cast_SkyAndWrench.jpg

Sky and Wrench - Shantae's older friend and role model, Sky trains war birds and enjoys the freedoms of a resonsible adult life. She's rarely seen without her favorite bird Wrench, who is a glum but loyal companion.

Cast_Bolo.jpg

Bolo - Shantae's dunderhead ally and sparring partner works part-time in Mimic's Workshop. He is a hard worker but is easily distracted. His oafishness is outweighed by his fierce loyalty and friendship.

Cast_UncleMimic.jpg

Uncle Mimic - This gray-haired Relic Hunter spends his days in search of inventions from the old world to better his understanding and help make the world a better place. He is Shantae's only adopted family, he loves her dearly, but has not learned to see beyond the child.

Recap the original Shantae adventure on Twitter!

Check out the awesome soundtrack at Big Lion Music and please donate to support good music and indie developers! Vote with your dollars to show your support of AWESOME.

Reviews:

DS.IGN: 9.0 (of 10) Outstanding!
Nintendo Life 10/10!
A- from 1up!

Thread will be updated at later date with character profiles, data, and more.
Stealth invitation to Dragona Akehi to edit in details as needed.

Thanks to Wayforward for making this happen.
Thanks to all Shantae fans for keeping hope alive all these years.
Thanks to everyone who supports this awesome game.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Santiako said:
Hopefully this sees a European release soon. I'm dying to play this game. :D

You reading this Wayforward? Tell us when we're getting it ffs!

Aeana

Yay.

I've played for about 2 hours according to the in-game clock and I think I actually like it more than the original. We'll see how it pans out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's better than the original in every aspect but difficulty.

If they made a mode where Shantae took 2x or 3x damage I'd be perfectly happy with it.

Aeana

Difficulty is fine for me. The
Battle Tower
part was really tense... I beat it with just a sliver of health left.

I would be simply loving the fact that I'm playing a sequel to freakin Shantae, but it's actually well made! Though I agree with the others about the difficulty so far, but I'm only about an hour in so my opinion on that is rather irrelevant at this point.

Shantae :D

Great job on the OT!

I think that this game will have a lot more sales once the 3DS hits. So many are interested but they don't have a DSi.

BEST DSiWare game, PERIOD!

Teknoman

I've heard something about a map? No spoilers or anything, but is that something you get later on, or am I missing something?

BooJoh

I'm loving the game so far.

Anyone know what the rewards are beyond the first at the Import shop? I own MFC but haven't finished it yet. Wondering if it's just
more gems
or something more significant.

Aeana

BooJoh said:
I'm loving the game so far.

Anyone know what the rewards are beyond the first at the Import shop? I own MFC but haven't finished it yet. Wondering if it's just
more gems
or something more significant.
It's just more. 200 for beating MFC, 300 for getting all S ranks.

Aeana said:
It's just more. 200 for beating MFC, 300 for getting all S ranks.
Kind of glad and sad at the same time.

Glad that I didn't need to buy MFC right now (since I don't have it yet). Sad that I was hoping for maybe more content like...um...the original Shantae GBC game?! *cry*

EDIT: I'd love to see WayForward put the original on DSiWare. I don't want to wait for the 3DS! It'd be so awesome if WF put the original on DSiWare Shop for 500pts RIGHT NOW!!!

But I guess 5-6 months of waiting isn't too bad. :(

I feel stupid for asking, but does anyone know where
the monkey artifact is?
I found the other one, but just can't seem to locate that anywhere in the desert.

I very much enjoy this game, beat the
Battle tower, or whatever it's called?
with over 2:30 minutes remaining, mind you on my fifth attempt! Back to searching for me, =p

biocat

I hope it comes out on the JP store.

Shantae coming out marks the first moment I wish I had access to the NA DSi Store.
Such good memories of the original.

Aeana

Nobodyspatzy said:
I feel stupid for asking, but does anyone know where
the monkey artifact is?
I found the other one, but just can't seem to locate that anywhere in the desert.

I very much enjoy this game, beat the
Battle tower, or whatever it's called?
with over 2:30 minutes remaining, mind you on my fifth attempt! Back to searching for me, =p
IIRC, it's
in the hole just before the Ammo Baron?
I could be wrong -- my memory is terrible.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only slowly paced part is the very beginning, the rest just flies by.

I think I made the right choice making my first six upgrades the hair. I then spent the next few jars I found on the orb spell.

Lightning cloud thingee does work great on anything that stands still though.

Tiktaalik

Aeana said:
Slow? And here I thought it was going way too quickly.
What's slow about it?

There's a whole lot of text at the beginning and even before it really throws you any significant amount of gameplay it puts you into the town. Even after the town it's not terribly lively at first.

I can see what they were trying to do with the tutorialish sort of wandering around before the chatter started, but I would have gone a lot further and made that into more of a real area and put the town later into the game.

Skilletor

Tiktaalik said:
There's a whole lot of text at the beginning and even before it really throws you any significant amount of gameplay it puts you into the town. Even after the town it's not terribly lively at first.

I can see what they were trying to do with the tutorialish sort of wandering around before the chatter started, but I would have gone a lot further and made that into more of a real area and put the town later into the game.

I agree. The gameplay is awesome, but I couldn't care less about the throwaway story. I was bypassing text boxes for awhile before it let me run around town.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I would love to give my money to wayforward right now but unfortunately I don't own a dsi and 3ds is knocking the door so I really can't justify buying dsi :c I will support them right when I get my 3ds. I hope you guys who bought the game enjoy it.

Aeana

Tiktaalik said:

I see. Several people have complained about that, but I guess it didn't really bother me. Either way, once you leave the town, there's not nearly as much text.

I'm in the third Labyrinth and I've maxed out on gems again. I wont be able to spend much of it too since I only have one jar at the moment.

Anyways, enjoying the hell out of this game. The sprite work in this is so nice.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wayforward, I did right by you.
Now it's your turn to do right by me.

Haven't touched my DSi in ages (DSL <3), but I finally dusted it off, charged it, booted it up, updated the firmware, and purchased this new Shantae.

However, I'm ruinously obsessive-compulsive about the game franchises I play/adopt, and won't touch this game until I somehow get my hands on and finish the original, which will never happen because I'm not fucking paying anyone $300 for an incomplete, used copy of the game.

Wayforward, you very smartly ditched the horrible episodic model for this sequel-that-almost-never-happened-again-and-again, and (seemingly) gave us a full game for a great price. Don't let all that hard work go to "waste." Now is the time to go all "next-gen" with the rebooted franchise and remake the original using this DSi engine and assets. You know, like the big boys do on the consoles, what with the milking and whatnot. A twitter recap sucks. Give us the next best thing to the real thing. Or, arguably, better than the real thing. You can even charge 1200 points again. We won't mind. Promise.

:)

Edit - Just realized that TToB created this thread. This moment is like the culmination of his entire gaming life, isn't it? Long time in coming.

Edit 2 - Ahh, the tinkerbats. They were in the first too, no? Finally struck on why the Kingdom Hearts shadow creatures always looked so damn familiar!

Edit 3 - Virt rocks. Just donated $10 via Paypal, and will now be downloading both the Shantae albums from him. Keep rocking on, dude! It'd be nice to have a similar single-download archive of the first OST, but no worries!

Ramune

Ugh, the wait for the 3DS so I can finally play this game will be a hard one! Unless....Nintendo releases that green DSi XL here. THEN I might be willing get an "i" as my Shantae machine for the time being.

OT, It's great to be in a gen. where a sequel to one of the best made GBC games actually happens! We all were waiting on baited breath to see where the next Shantae game would head to. First on GBA, then Gamecube, and even the Wii for a while there.

It's also inspiring to see how dedicated the guys and gals of WayForward were in making this game a reality. There were certainly many barriers put up that would easily discourage the less tenacious of developers. But then again they went through that same song and dance with the first game! So maybe you can say, sadly, that too is part of a tradition. Can't wait to eventually get my hands on this game in some form. For now, I'll buy the OST and play the original on GB Player...and wait.

Slermy

Grabbed this late last night, so I just got to the first save point but....

My god is this game beautiful.

The sprite work in this game is truly incredible. Nice music, responsive controls, the return of the butt wiggling while crouching, Shantae really is the complete package. :D

Anyone else think the "hair'em" comment in the intro is an intentional play on the word "harem"?

Mejilan

_dementia said:
any particular reason you like your DSL more than your DSi?

Mainly because my flashcart works with the DSL but not the DSi, and of the near 500 handheld Nintendo titles I own, close to 200 of them are GBA. Also, the dpad and shoulder buttons on my DSL are oh-so comfortably broken in. And the relatively larger screens on the DSi can make things look wonky. The text on the DSi's home screen looks terrible, for example.

*shrugs*

However, I am eyeballing some DSi flashcarts that have that special, extra on-board CPU that supposedly restores some measure of GBA support (via software emulation). There are actually a whole bunch of DSi-exclusive games that I'd like to play more; enough in number that I'm increasingly revisiting my choice to stick with the DSL as my primary Nintendo handheld device.

Shantae is merely the newest (and probably one of the more convincing) arguments "for," so to speak.

Somewhat more on topic, Firefox + DownThemAll is a nice way of getting past the lack of consolidated Shantae 1 OST archive on virt's site. I really need to remember that extension more often...

Mejilan

I was wondering about that image.
Fan art? While technically nice, IMHO, there's something bubbly and colorful about the official Shantae art that this one doesn't quite nail.

donny2112

The Take Out Bandit said:
Between the teeth.

Her trousers are extremely low riding.
Brazilian!
:3

Thought about that already. That would greatly throw off her proportions. She could basically touch her shins with her hands while standing upright, if that's her bellybutton. :p

The text was a bit much, but it was a tad comical, so it held me through. I'm really anal when it comes to games and not getting hit(if the mechanics are good enough to warrant such a thing), and this seems to be one of those games. I can already see myself resetting constantly to try a no-hit play through on my first go.

Also,
Less belly button bitching please. More Brazilian Shantae lovin' now.

Ranger X

The game looks to be alot more "adventure" than "platforming" but I am not really deceived. I think I will be able to adjust.

I drool like a mad man at the graphics though. BEAUTIFUL 2D and first class animation. Really kicks ass.

OnPoint

Borrowing a friend's DSiXL and I'm thinking about DLing this. My hope is that when the 3DS comes out I can transfer it to my own system.

Sigh...

Top Bottom