• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge |OT| - Eight years of rubbing and wishing!

Aeana

Ranger X said:
The game looks to be alot more "adventure" than "platforming" but I am not really deceived. I think I will be able to adjust.

I drool like a mad man at the graphics though. BEAUTIFUL 2D and first class animation. Really kicks ass.
Yes, definitely. Shantae is pretty much a direct successor to games like Castlevania 2, and especially the Wonder Boy/Monster World series. It seems pretty clear that it takes influence from Monster World 4, in particular:

YXTNt.png

Oli

Didn't want to have this and Enslaved on my plate this week, so I'll probably download this once I finish the former.

Looks very awesome.

Aeana said:
Yes, definitely. Shantae is pretty much a direct successor to games like Castlevania 2, and especially the Wonder Boy/Monster World series. It seems pretty clear that it takes influence from Monster World 4, in particular:

YXTNt.png

FWIW, Bozon has claimed that he never played any of the "Alex Kidd in Monster World" [sic] games prior to developing the original Shantae, and that his main inspirations were Zelda II and Simon's Quest. The similarities are striking, though.

I was wondering about that image.
Fan art? While technically nice, IMHO, there's something bubbly and colorful about the official Shantae art that this one doesn't quite nail.

I realize as far as karma and my post history goes, I'm a douche and deserve this; but this isn't a thread about me. I did this for the tradition established in 2002 when the first game released and I crapped out a bunch of fan scribbles in a feeble attempt to rally GAF around the game.

I'll fix up the OP when I get home from work tonight so this game can remain upful about Shantae: Risky's Revenge and not harshing a known troll. Really which Dragona would have been here to make the OP.

My apologies to Matt Bozon, Wayforward, and GAF. You'll never realize just how very sorry I truly am. No joking or hyperbole. I'm sure my cheerleading for this great game has been more of a detriment since I'm such a massive A-hole.

Please PM any non Shantae replies to me.

If you're playing any game before Shantae this week, you so crazy!

I'm going to start playing it tonight instead of wasting my time.

Link Man

Banned
Father_Brain said:
FWIW, Bozon has claimed that he never played any of the "Alex Kidd in Monster World" [sic] games prior to developing the original Shantae, and that his main inspirations were Zelda II and Simon's Quest. The similarities are striking, though.
Well, that definitely explains the Simon's Quest joke in the intro.

Narag

The Take Out Bandit said:
My apologies to Matt Bozon, Wayforward, and GAF. You'll never realize just how very sorry I truly am. No joking or hyperbole. I'm sure my cheerleading for this great game has been more of a detriment since I'm such a massive A-hole.

While I'm waiting for the 3DS to snag this, I wouldn't even be aware of the franchise if not for you. Can't fault a guy for being passionate about his likes.

Aeana

Not enough activity here. :(

I got the
third seal
and am now going back around looking for stuff I missed. I get the feeling I'm right near the end, but I hope there's still a decent amount left. :/ The game is so well-made.

Father_Brain said:
I'd say the influences are really apparent, and even further, the whole ponytail-whipping and backwards dashing with the L button makes it definitely feel like an Iga Castlevania game.

I can't wait to get home from work so I can play it more!

Aeana

Mejilan said:
How does the length hold up?
Is it comparable to other games in the genre?
By my clock, I think it's probably going to work out to about 6 hours like reviews have claimed, unless it throws something unexpected at me. That compares mostly favorably to other similar games, although on the shorter end of the spectrum.

Aeana

I put these in the OST thread, but I once again feel the need to link some of the background art for this game that Henk Nieborg put up on his site. Note that these aren't screenshots, they're concept art. Some of the effect is lost here since these areas all have multiple planes and stuff going on in the background in the actual game, but these are so beautiful even on their own. I wish there was more of this stuff showing some of the other areas in the game.

7ZC1K.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The spritework IS lovely.
Just seeing the lighthouse area and Scuttle Town redone in such a fashion is a joy.
Rather liked the 2D take on the underwater distortion effects, too.

My only gripe so far is that the relative lack of animation transitions can, at times, be slightly jarring. Not because such transitions are unusual for such excellently controlling 2D sprite-based games, but because the animations are just so damn good in general.

Really great stuff.
And yeah, stills don't entirely do the graphics justice.

Beat it. Okay, so I guess when they decided to no longer make it episodic, that didn't mean it was going to be longer. It's pretty much as long as they said the one episode was going to be in the original Nintendo Power article about it. Three Labyrinths and a final battle that would end with a cliffhanger.

Still, very fun game. I hope a sequel that'll be much longer is not too far off.

celebi23

GoldandBlue said:
Beat it. Okay, so I guess when they decided to no longer make it episodic, that didn't mean it was going to be longer. It's pretty much as long as they said the one episode was going to be in the original Nintendo Power article about it. Three Labyrinths and a final battle that would end with a cliffhanger.

Still, very fun game. I hope a sequel that'll be much longer is not too far off.

Damn, I thought since it was delayed for awhile that it would contain most up the content from the other episodes

CTLance

Sigh. I want to play this, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna buy a DSi now, with the 3DS so close that we can practically taste it.

The world is cruel. I will buy and play this ASAP, though. I loooooove the looks (and sounds) of this game.

GoldandBlue said:

If it's not episodic, does that mean the game would just end with a cliffhanger and nothing else? We'll never know if they'll release a sequel and have to go back to begging for another 8 years?

colinp

Banned
biocat said:
I hope it comes out on the JP store.

Shantae coming out marks the first moment I wish I had access to the NA DSi Store.
Such good memories of the original.

Me too! Keeping my fingers crossed it'll make it over.

Aeana

GoldandBlue said:

Wow, yeah... I just beat it and it really does feel like the end of an episode. And on top of that, several areas from the early screenshots and art are not present. I had thought that maybe when they declared it was no longer episodic, that they had put everything into one game. I guess that was silly to believe. I have to admit that while I loved what I got, it doesn't feel like a full game. I hope they can get a followup out eventually. :\

Still, very awesome and totally worth playing.

Ranger X

Aeana said:
Wow, yeah... I just beat it and it really does feel like the end of an episode. And on top of that, several areas from the early screenshots and art are not present. I had thought that maybe when they declared it was no longer episodic, that they had put everything into one game. I guess that was silly to believe. I have to admit that while I loved what I got, it doesn't feel like a full game. I hope they can get a followup out eventually. :\

Still, very awesome and totally worth playing.

Didn't they say there would be DLC for this game?
It's easy to do that little trick: take some episode and rebrand it as "DLC"...

Mejilan

:lol
So instead of calling this one Ep 1 and the next one Ep 2, they'll just call the next episode by a different subtitle? Laaaaaame.

Yeah, just passed it the first time (playing again, as I know I am missing one more Jam), really feels like there should be more. I mean, if this isn't episodic, I suppose I would be disappointed... but I liked the journey regardless.

Also, since I am on an ill-intended post-game downer right now, there are only two other gripes I have with this compared to the original game. One, I liked the warp dances, granted, the warp squids and map help the second's navigation a great deal, but I liked the other towns, and by extension the one scorpion game =p

The second is enemies in general. Swarming is common after getting further in the game, for example... Perhaps the is a balance to stronger attacks you get as the game goes on, but one area has way too many bomber scarecrows and archers for my liking, when I was searching for the jellys. The other side to that is boss battles seemed, weaker, than the previous games. I really felt like I just spammed the final boss with random attacks, and not as awesome as (original Shantae spoilers)
the Risky fight and setup to the last part of the game
. Maybe in the next episode???

Hope this doesn't put off people from the game, I really hope there are more Shantae's in the future!

kiryogi said:
Sigh really want this but no DSi. Maybe I'll get it when 3DS comes out or if I luck out on a DSi :/

I didn't want a DSi, but that didn't stop me.

What's up with GAF? They didn't listen in 2002 when I was telling everybody to buy the game when it released for $19.99. They didn't listen.

Now in 2010 it's another set of excuses entirely.

Way I look at it you got two choices:

- Spend $150 to play Shantae GBC
- Spend $150 to play Shantae Risky's Revenge

Very tempted to sell my loaner copy.

sfog

I didn't want a DSi, but that didn't stop me.

What's up with GAF? They didn't listen in 2002 when I was telling everybody to buy the game when it released for $19.99.

The original wasn't $19.99, it was the standard $29.99. At least that's what I paid for it within a few weeks of its release.

Edit: I guess my Media Play didn't realize that its MSRP was actually lower. Oh well.

sfog said:
The original wasn't $19.99, it was the standard $29.99. At least that's what I paid for it within a few weeks of its release.

It was $19.99 day of launch when I picked it up.

Salt in the wound GAF: I picked up my second copy in 2005 for $7. :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gonna definitely be picking this up once I get a 3DS... and hopefully on the 3DS Virtual Handheld service, the original Shantae will get a release. I'm a major fan of side scrolling action RPGs, the Wonder Boy/Monster World series in particular, and a huuuuge fan of sprites/hand-drawn art, and a massive fan of Virt too (got to see him at NYC's Blip Fest 2008, and it was killer!).

djtiesto said:
Gonna definitely be picking this up once I get a 3DS... and hopefully on the 3DS Virtual Handheld service, the original Shantae will get a release. I'm a major fan of side scrolling action RPGs, the Wonder Boy/Monster World series in particular, and a huuuuge fan of sprites/hand-drawn art, and a massive fan of Virt too (got to see him at NYC's Blip Fest 2008, and it was killer!).

This is a GAF poster I can get behind!

It would be nice if the original gets a release; but I wonder if there would be any issue preventing that from happening? Crapcom published it, but it seems Wayforward held onto all the rights and legal stuff; which if that's the case they should just as well be able to re-release it themselves.

joelseph

What's up with GAF? They didn't listen in 2002 when I was telling everybody to buy the game when it released for $19.99. They didn't listen.

If only we did, please forgive the unwashed masses oh TTOB.

CO_Andy

So many fence sitters (myself included) :(

I wonder if it was intentional for WayForward to release its sequel yet again on a sinking and short-lived platform.

There's honestly no need to port beg, but delaying its release to the 3DS might have been financially wiser given people are usually more interested in new releases.

Ramune

In fact, Capcom was selling the game on their site (along with Toki Tori, another GBC gem, but has seen a resurgence on other platforms of late). Of course, I was still in the period that anything I ordered online that came home, my folks would have a fit back then! To this day, I keep thinking I should have bit the bullet on that one, just to have a boxed copy! :lol

Come to think of it, I have yet to even finish the first Shantae! And I've had it for quite a while too! Gotta get 'er done!

CO_Andy said:
So many fence sitters (myself included) :(

I wonder if it was intentional for WayForward to release its sequel yet again on a sinking and short-lived platform.

There's honestly no need to port beg, but delaying its release to the 3DS might have been financially wiser given people are usually more interested in new releases.

Yeah I know. I'm one of them. -_-;
Kinda funny that the first thing I'm doing when I get a 3DS is to download a 2D platformer. Great use of the hardware, I know! :lol

I'm just glad they released the game at all! Like I said before, it's pretty inspiring that they saw this through to the end.

The most we can do for now, is plug the game to our DSi owning friends.

Ramune said:
Come to think of it, I have yet to even finish the first Shantae! And I've had it for quite a while too! Gotta get 'er done!

^^^

One of The Good Ones.

Yeah I know. I'm one of them. -_-;
Kinda funny that the first thing I'm doing when I get a 3DS is to download a 2D platformer. Great use of the hardware, I know! :lol

I'm just glad they released the game at all! Like I said before, it's pretty inspiring that they saw this through to the end.

The most we can do for now, is plug the game to our DSi owning friends.

No need to panic folks.

You'll be able to download Shantae Risky's Revenge on 3DS once the novelty of play Super Mario in 3D wears off.

The problem with this putting gimmicks before gaming line of thinking is it negates just plain fun games like Shantae in favor of razzle dazzle. The game is about gorgeous sprite work and classic game play.

No amount of screen touching, waggling, or three deez is going to change that.

Gamers are starting to put the carriage before the horse. Unlike the GBC to GBA days, there's a viable online distribution model which should mean - Risky's Revenge won't go out of print, and you'll be able to purchase it at your leisure on your shiny new gaming system - or as I prefer Shantae Player w/ 3D Goggles. ;)

Bentendo

I just got the
second seal (do I really need to spoiler this?). It took me several tries but I always lost in the last room (not enough time). So I went back to the pumpkin field and found a place where the Medusa constantly respawn. I accumulated hundreds of diamonds, took them to the shop and purchased a few magical abilities. The two magic spells that helped the most was the rotating sphere and the spell that makes Shantae whip her hair faster (heavenly). When I went back I had a whole minute left.

It's SO good. Worth getting a DSi for if you don't have one, IMO.

I guess the services will transfer when 3DS comes out, so maybe wait for that, actually.

BUT PLAY IT

Mejilan

djtiesto said:

Hell yeah. Despite owning the separate carts AND their VC re-releases, I picked up that JP-only Monster World Collection for the PS2. And the Phantasy Star Collection as well.
We need more of this kind of game. You'd think there WOULD be more on the various download services and/or the iPhone space. Alas.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mejilan said:
Hell yeah. Despite owning the separate carts AND their VC re-releases, I picked up that JP-only Monster World Collection for the PS2. And the Phantasy Star Collection as well.
We need more of this kind of game. You'd think there WOULD be more on the various download services and/or the iPhone space. Alas.

To be honest it would control terribly on the iphone. :lol

Also fantastic sprite work just isn't in the budget for most of these types of games. Hell isn't part of the reason this game was made was to use resources from an aborted Shantae GBA game of yesteryear?

Mejilan

Man God said:
To be honest it would control terribly on the iphone. :lol

There are more than a few games on the iPhone that nail the virtual dpad and button control scheme. And it's not like this kind of game would exactly require a ridiculous number of buttons.

Also fantastic sprite work just isn't in the budget for most of these types of games. Hell isn't part of the reason this game was made was to use resources from an aborted Shantae GBA game of yesteryear?

IIRC, WayForward has been internally working on various Shantae follow-ups for just about every piece of hardware under the sun post-Game Boy. Some were shopped out as real games, others were lesser products to get acclimated to new (to them) hardware, etc. I vaguely recall reading about this years ago. I think the GBA version was honestly meant to be a true release, but they couldn't garner enough publisher interest to secure a deal. Time to check Wikipedia, methinks.

DJ_Lae

Is the map as bad as I've read?

I played a bit of the previous game and enjoyed it, but the fact that it's DSiWare and the fact that it's 1200 points is a bit of a turn-off. I'd have to add 2000 points to my DSi, which is annoying only because Nintendo charges USD for those points as well as tax, so I end up paying $25 or so. Plus, there's nothing else I want to buy, so that leaves 800 points wasted, which I'm not keen on.

Maybe I'll cave and just pick up a points card somewhere - any suggestions for what I could use the other 800 points on? I have most of the Art Style games, Trajectile, and Pop Island.

Top Bottom