• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge |OT| - Eight years of rubbing and wishing!

Aeana said:
By my clock, I think it's probably going to work out to about 6 hours like reviews have claimed, unless it throws something unexpected at me. That compares mostly favorably to other similar games, although on the shorter end of the spectrum.
I just got the map. Does the game's world seem a little small? Or are there more areas that's not showing on it?

Aeana

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just got the map. Does the game's world seem a little small? Or are there more areas that's not showing on it?
The dungeon areas don't show up on the map. But yeah, the world isn't that big. My final time was 5 hours, by the way.

Aeana said:
The dungeon areas don't show up on the map. But yeah, the world isn't that big. My final time was 5 hours, by the way.
5 hours isn't bad. I can see if someone gets lost or just wants to take their time playing up to 6.

By the way, since you finished it, do you think that WayForward cut some content since this was supposed to be episodic? I remember Nintendo Power's early previews saying how each episode was looking like 3-4 hours. Doing the math, three episodes would be close to 9-10 hours.

Wonder if the delays and going with a full download cut some stuff out.

Ranger X

12$ for a GREAT 2D game of high production values I'm good with that.

I remember paying 80$+ for lesser SNES games back in the day. And most games weren't lasting much more than 6 hours anyways.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
5 hours isn't bad. I can see if someone gets lost or just wants to take their time playing up to 6.

By the way, since you finished it, do you think that WayForward cut some content since this was supposed to be episodic? I remember Nintendo Power's early previews saying how each episode was looking like 3-4 hours. Doing the math, three episodes would be close to 9-10 hours.

Wonder if the delays and going with a full download cut some stuff out.
It really just sounds like they released the game they were going to release and just dropped the "episodic" title, since that alone was causing too many people on the internet to cry.

So basically, what would have been Episode 2, will probably now just be Shantae: (Another Subtitle) or Risky's Revenge II.

Ranger X

Princess Skittles said:
It really just sounds like they released the game they were going to release and just dropped the "episodic" title, since that alone was causing too many people on the internet to cry.

So basically, what would have been Episode 2, will probably now just be Shantae: (Another Subtitle) or Risky's Revenge II.

Exactly what I was saying. Basically, people are more sensible to scemantics than reality. Sequels will do just fine. I think it's quite hilarious actually.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DJ_Lae said:
Maybe I'll cave and just pick up a points card somewhere - any suggestions for what I could use the other 800 points on? I have most of the Art Style games, Trajectile, and Pop Island.
800 pts in one go:

X-Scape or Minis March Again

800 pts in bites:

Aura-Aura Climber (200 pts)
Ninja Karakuri Den (200 pts)
Fizz (200 pts)
Birds and Beans (200 pts)
Army Defender (200 pts)
Spotto! (200 pts)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Ranger X said:
Basically, people are more sensible to scemantics than reality.
Indeed. It's funny to see it in action though.

I was also thinking there could be a few other things going on here, perhaps they didn't know if they could commit to more chapters/games.. so dropping the "Episode 1" from the title shields them from too much fan outcry or perhaps they finally got a publisher for a retail release (thus maybe making Risky's Revenge an intro or interquel to that).

It'd be nice to hear from WayForward on it, since I beleive each "episode" was supposed to be three dungeons.

Glix

This game just broke my DSi :( It turns on and then shuts down right away. Battery is blue.

Anyone ever deal with this before? :(

Aeana

At the very least, the snowy area from the first screenshots and Henk Nieborg's art is totally absent from the game. I was looking forward to that, too.

kiryogi

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I didn't want a DSi, but that didn't stop me.

What's up with GAF? They didn't listen in 2002 when I was telling everybody to buy the game when it released for $19.99. They didn't listen.

Now in 2010 it's another set of excuses entirely.

Way I look at it you got two choices:

- Spend $150 to play Shantae GBC
- Spend $150 to play Shantae Risky's Revenge

Very tempted to sell my loaner copy.

I had a GBC before. I have very little incentive outside of this to get a DSi when I have a DS already. At least the GBC was a new platform. So in my scenario, it would have been only 19.99 to play it back then. This is asking me to grab the same platform for some little net download. Honestly if this were a normal DS release, I would have had it day one. But this DLC garbage. :/ I really don't consider DS->DSi to be any leap at all. On the other hand 3DS is an actual leap.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Glix said:
This game just broke my DSi :( It turns on and then shuts down right away. Battery is blue.

Anyone ever deal with this before? :(
*scratches head*

Never seen it, but you can try powering it on while plugged in the mains. See if that changes the pattern. Also, try powering it on with and without a DS cart.

It does feel like my batteries getting sucked dry a lot quicker than my previous Phat and Lite.

I wonder if my DSi is losing battery life or if it's just the games I'm playing. It can't be the battery life because I played my Phat a lot and it felt like the battery lasted longer.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Some (all?) DSiWare apps might use the DSi's faster processors and extra RAM.
If so, they'd probably drain the batteries faster than regular DS software.
I'd imagine.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I didn't want a DSi, but that didn't stop me.

What's up with GAF? They didn't listen in 2002 when I was telling everybody to buy the game when it released for $19.99. They didn't listen.

Now in 2010 it's another set of excuses entirely.

Way I look at it you got two choices:

- Spend $150 to play Shantae GBC
- Spend $150 to play Shantae Risky's Revenge

Very tempted to sell my loaner copy.

Shantae sells for $150? Time to sell my copy off.

EDIT: Wow, people are selling it for more than that on eBay...and that's for the cart alone. Maybe I can sell of my complete copy to someone and use the cash towards a 3DS next year. :lol

For those who finished like I did, I have read that there are speed-run challenges which net you some different end-game images like
a Shantae in a bathing suit for finishing under 2 hours, or Rotty finishing with 100% under 3 hours
. Granted, I normally am not a fan of speed-runs, but what the hey, I'll do it =p

Thought about it a bit more, and as much as I do still have complaints, I am enjoying this game more on my second play.

zigg

Lyte Edge said:
EDIT: Wow, people are selling it for more than that on eBay...and that's for the cart alone. Maybe I can sell of my complete copy to someone and use the cash towards a 3DS next year. :lol

Better hurry, I'd wager WF's angling to get it on the 3DS' Virtual Console ASAP to go with Risky's Revenge.

sfog

Yeah, I can't imagine Wayforward passing up a great opportunity to re-release the game that really put them on the map. Both the original and RR deserve all the recognition they can get.

Princess Skittles said:
It'd be nice to hear from WayForward on it, since I beleive each "episode" was supposed to be three dungeons.
That's kind of disheartening to hear, but I guess we shouldn't complain because the game is too good.

I would've loved to see more episodes but hopefully we'll see more either before the 3DS or when the 3DS comes out.

Wow!

This game is so good.

I don't know what it is that I love about sprites, but sprites do it for me the way bloom lighting, bump mapping, and real time shadows do it for those other people. Everything is just gorgeous and a pleasure to look at.

Also love the idle animations, how Shantae stops to adjust her top while idling. :lol :lol :lol Watching Risky kick her legs with glee as the Tinker Boat tries to stomp Shantae.

2pql0mo.jpg

When Capcom is done playing pretend, they need to contact Wayforward about doing sprites for Street Fighter 4! :3

mandiller said:
When is this game coming out in Australia? I sure hope it's in the new DSiware update...

May be soon.

Looking at the manual they have content and support information for Australia and New Zealand already in there.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So I have to admit, despite being in one of my absolute favorite, under-appreciated genres, I never really could get into the original Shantae. I'm absolutely going to give it another chance if WayForward can manage to get it up on the upcoming Portable Virtual Console, but my original attempts (which were many) always fell short. I'm not sure the exact cause but I think it greatly had to do with the cramped screen space and how the game felt it didn't work around this limitation very well.

But Risky's Revenge doesn't have this issue and now I'm really feeling how great the original probably could have been (had I gotten past my issue with screen space usage). I've gotten the first seal so far.

The Mighty Flip Champs reward was really lame, by the way. It was nice getting an extra 300 gems right off the bat, but that basically allowed me to buy every non-jam item at the start instead of building up to or earning them. I think it would been much better to have made the reward something neat like an alternate color outfit, extra costume or playing as the MFC gal.

Also:
WTF I accidentally killed the puppy dog in the kitchen. ;___________;

Princess Skittles said:
So I have to admit, despite being in one of my absolute favorite, under-appreciated genres, I never really could get into the original Shantae.

You will say 100 Hail Shantae's and help blind children cross the street as penance!

To be completely fair as much as I loved the original game, it was uneven in spots and had some missing audio cues / animation cues for some enemies. However once you got used to the pattern attacks it was less surprising, but I can understand how some people would be put off by it.

Mejilan

Someone should whip up a FireFox extension or GreaseMonkey script to generate random one-liners for a post's title field.

Princess Skittles said:
So I have to admit, despite being in one of my absolute favorite, under-appreciated genres, I never really could get into the original Shantae. I'm absolutely going to give it another chance if WayForward can manage to get it up on the upcoming Portable Virtual Console, but my original attempts (which were many) always fell short.

I'm in the same exact boat, though my attempts were not many, but was, in fact, singular.

Aeana

Stumpokapow said:
I love that TToB is the only poster on GAF who uses the the "Title" section when he writes replies :p
Regulus Tera went through a period where he put mostly unrelated jokes in the title box. I guess he stopped because nobody noticed.

I'm saved in the second dungeon now and I'm really loving the game! It's so smooth and well designed, I really just don't want it to end. I definitely think that RR is a lot more playable than the original at this point, though the original will always remain special.

lol bubsy 3D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
This game reminds me, I usually bookmark good archive style threads but I missed one I can't for the life of me find it over the Google search, it was a compendium of 2D Platform Action Adventure games like Shantae and Monster World, I really wish I could track that down again so I could scout out games from the listings again.

Speaking of.. so Matt Bozon says he's never played a Monster World game? Sure, I mean, even though the games are ridiculously similar, they're not exactly genre-bending, so two well made games in the same style could coincidentally feel awfully similar. I can buy that absolutely. But then I got the monkey transformation dance and it's SO damn similar to the mouse transformation from Dragon's Trap that it really makes it harder to beleive he's never played the game.

sfog

It's up to #7 (from 10 yesterday) on the shop's "Popular Titles" list. Hopefully it maintains that momentum...

Mejilan

Princess Skittles said:
This game reminds me, I usually bookmark good archive style threads but I missed one I can't for the life of me find it over the Google search, it was a compendium of 2D Platform Action Adventure games like Shantae and Monster World, I really wish I could track that down again so I could scout out games from the listings again.

This one, perhaps?
Come aboard Enk's SSSrpg Boat of Love! High speed ahead!

I honestly thought there was a newer one...

I hope that since they've done most of the heavy lifting with getting all these wonderful sprites made they'll re-use them for several more installments.

Not that I want to suggest Wayforward sit on their talent, but I'd be completely happy with several $12 installments of this great franchise!

Maybe add more idle and incidental animations for characters every time. :D

1up review: A-

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181797

"Risky's Revenge is literally the sort of game DSiWare was made for; WayForward has been shopping it around for years, but publishers have uniformly refused to take a chance on it at retail. Digital distribution let them cut publishers from the picture and just sell the game directly. The developers frustration is ultimately to our benefit: This is a beautiful, substantial, classic-style game, and it's a great deal to boot. Risky's Revenge is quite possibly the first truly decisive argument in favor of owning a DSi, and I'd love to see it succeed -- not just because the game's cliffhanger ending deserves resolution, but also because other developers clearly need a little motivation to produce work of similar quality for the platform."

Reviews so far:

1up - A
Nintendo Life - 10
IGN - 9

Aeana

RUNNING TO UPDATE OP!

Does anybody know, all you ninnies talking up Monster World have me bi-curious; is the PS2 Sega Ages MW Collection import friendly? Does it have English language by chance like the Phantasy Star Collection?
It does, yes, for all of the games that were actually released in English. Which, I think, is all of them but Monster World 4.

Bear

blu said:
800 pts in one go:

X-Scape or Minis March Again

Zezonia (a heavily Zelda inspired action RPG) also just came out on DSiWare for 800 points, and I've heard plenty of good things. I haven't played it, or any DSiWare games yet for that matter, but it's what I plan on buying with my remaining points. For anyone who likes classic Zelda it's said to be a good choice.

I do recommend Mini's March Again. I haven't gotten it myself but I want to just for the level editor. I don't know if you can still share them online though.

Mejilan

On topic, I finally ditched my DSL and CycloDS Evolution for that DSi I've had sitting on a shelf collecting dust for a year. I equipped it with a Supercard DSTwo, so I can now easily play my DSiWare games without giving up on all of the substantial flashcard benefits I've been enjoying on my DSL all these years.

Princess Skittles said:
YES YES YES THAT'S IT.

You're my hero!

*bookmarks*
Hahaha. Fantastic. I couldn't remember the name of the thread, but I DID recall that it was created by Enk. Conveniently, it was the very first result the GAF Google search pulled up when I typed his username (and just that) in the search field.

And yeah, as mentioned, the Monster World Collection for the PS2 includes the translated versions of each game that was actually localized. Which was pretty much all of 'em except for the last Genny game. As long as you have some way of getting your PS2 to load the game, it's quite import friendly. In my US PS2 situation, I circumvented the disc reading problem by popping my PS2 HDD out of the system, wiring it to my PC, and installing the game via my computer, which can read the disc. Ditto with the Phantasy Star Collection, and a few EU imports I picked up not too long ago. (EDF2, baby!)

lyre

Just beat the game with 5 hours on the clock, 2:40~ left in battle tower (with lots of room for improvement), missing 3 items and can't be arsed (and dpad is too shitty) to find the rest. A solid 7-8 for sure (which is Megaman Zero series territory for me) with my only complaint being all key item placement seem to be a bit too random.

Now I need to dust off the SP+ and the first Shantae and hope the next one won't be an 18 month wait.

Yes Boss!

I have a Japanese PS2. :X

I just need to sell some stuff to get money to waste on games.
Most of the Monster World games are up on VC as well if you have a Wii. Except the last one, which is only on the Japaneae VC.

Top Bottom