• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sharapova banned for 2 years (doping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

8 June 2016 – London, ENGLAND - An Independent Tribunal appointed under Article 8.1 of the 2016 Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (the "Programme") has found that Maria Sharapova committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.1 of the Programme and as a consequence has disqualified the affected results and imposed a period of ineligibility of two years, commencing on 26 January 2016.

Ms. Sharapova, a 29-year-old player from Russia, provided a urine sample on 26 January 2016, after her quarter-final match at the 2016 Australian Open in Melbourne, Australia. That sample was sent to the WADA-accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada for analysis, and was found to contain meldonium, which is a metabolic modulator that is included under section S4 (Hormone and Metabolic Modulators) of the 2016 WADA Prohibited List, and therefore is also prohibited under the Programme.
Full statement from IFT: http://www.itftennis.com/news/231175.aspx

Sharapova's response:
You need to know that the ITF asked the tribunal to suspend me for four years – the required suspension for an intentional violation -- and the tribunal rejected the ITF’s position.

[...]

I will immediately appeal the suspension portion of this ruling to CAS, the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
https://www.facebook.com/sharapova/posts/10153477001037680

Deserved. At first figured it was just an innocent mistake, but finding out what the drug actually does I would think it's pretty clear why she took it.

It's retroactive from January so I guess we'll see her at the Aussies in 2018!

That's crazy though, for that much time off from the tour she's really gonna have to climb back up the rankings, i'm sure some people are going to suggest she just retire

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I imagine she'll appeal that down, right?

As an aside, I always had the impression she was tall. But I looked it up and she's like 6'2". Holy cow.

Serena-Williams-crip-walk-before-tennis-match-Olympics.gif

Dr.Acula

Banned
Before all the "she made a mistake" and "controlled substance lists are confusing" crowd come in, I did some research in the last thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=197812003

The drug she was taking was placed on a monitoring list a year in advance. The monitoring list is on WADA's website and I (a non professional) was able to find it.

It is a single page.

This year it had been added to the prohibited list. It is only 9 pages and very simple to read -here is the relevant column:

As an athlete, she needed to stay on top of this. She's young and healthy, she isn't taking a dozen different drugs. WADA isn't burying their prohibited substances deep in a pile of documents. They don't add substances without a year of warning.

Parch

Tennis isn't fooling around. That seems harsh compared to other sports, and Sharapova is a popular draw on the tour. They're sending a strong message to pro tennis players.

GuyKazama

It was prescribed to her and she was open about taking it. From what I've read, it is more well known in Russia than other countries. It was prescribed under a different name, so while she should have been more careful -- I don't see any malice.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Maroida Shriekapova.

Her best defense would be to say it was a part of the organized Russian Olympic doping program and they gave it to her unwittingly. Not that I'd believe that.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It was prescribed to her and she was open about taking it. From what I've read, it is more well known in Russia than other countries. It was prescribed under a different name, so while she should have been more careful -- I don't see any malice.

She's lived in the US since she was 7. The only way this works is that if she doesn't have any medical staff to look after her when she's in the US, and if she does, she withholds what substances she's taking. This drug isn't even allowed in the US, she'd have to smuggle it in.

Red flags.

LuuKyK

Lol cant wait to ser her back in RG 2018 then. If a destroyed shoulder didnt stop her its not this stupid ban that will. Phoenixpova will emerge from the ashes.

Edit: with the appeal she will probably come back at 2017 USO though.

kAmui-

Meldonium is a medicine used in eastern europe and russia so that's why a lot of athletes from there have been caught using it. It is also a medicine used to treat heart conditions. It's weird that a lot of athletes that are supposed to be at the peak physical condition have to use it. Sure, I believe that almost all the players of your U-18 ice hockey team have a heart condition.

Peru post if you're okay. But sharapova should consider retirement now. Just focus on selling her candy and living off residuals from her brand

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Meldonium is a medicine used in eastern europe and russia so that's why a lot of athletes from there have been caught using it. It is also a medicine used to treat heart conditions. It's weird that a lot of athletes that are supposed to be at the peak physical condition have to use it. Sure, I believe that almost all the players of your U-18 ice hockey team have a heart condition.

These are no accidents, Russia's recent organised and practically government sanctioned doping is well known at this point. Hell there was even talks of Russia being banned from the Olympics, which is Russian sporting isntiutions are taking it all very seriously.

thefro

Seems like about a year too long to me given what happens in other sports.

I think a year off would do her good given all the nagging injuries she has. She has the $$$ to be able to train with whoever she needs to train with to keep from getting too rusty.

I think the rest of the Tour would have something to say about that.

I'm sure they want her back on the Tour since she draws in a lot of people. Ultimately means more $$$ for everyone.

Peru post if you're okay. But sharapova should consider retirement now. Just focus on selling her candy and living off residuals from her brand

I think she's too much of a competitor to just retire now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom