• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sharapova banned for 2 years (doping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Just appeal it and hope maybe it'll be a one year ban at least.

This almost sounds like the Tennis World and fans want to push her into retirement.

If there was any ill-will towards Sharapova she would have been given the standard 4 year ban. She got off easy.

tim.mbp

The report is interesting. Seems like she was taking prescribed 18 medications/supplements from the age of 18 and eventually the number reached 30. Then decided to stop just about everything without the Dr.'s advise but still kept taking Mildronate. And failed to list Mildronate in any of the forms she had to fill out declaring what she was medications/supplements because the "list would be very long".

RedAssedApe

Banned
If she doesn't plan on retiring maybe she can rework her serve again. That thing's been broken for a long time.

A 2 year ban at nearly age 30 pretty much puts a wrap on her as a contender, no?

I personally don't think so. There's been no one on the women's side close to being as consistent on the men's even amongst the top ranked players (besides serena). Seems like almost every wta tournament top ranked players are getting knocked out early.

Deadman

Its just sport, for people to enjoy watching on tv. She's an entertainer. Who really cares, i mean REALLY CARES?

I'm sure the other players she has played against care quite a bit. It's not just tv for them.

For first offense?

save that for a 2nd offense.

This is a first offense. Do you really want that?

Yes for a first offence. It's quite simple to not drug cheat. Many athletes manage it.

She shouldn't get a lifetime ban

She should have to face Serena Williams in the beginning of every tournament just to enter.

williams-sisters-press-interview-laughing.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall
she made more outside of actual tennis. don't cry for maria.

That's the thing. Now that she's banned for doping those endorsements are going to dry up like water in a desert and I highly doubt she'll be able to them back. She was better off retiring long before any of this shit hit.

That's the thing. Now that she's banned for doping those endorsements are going to dry up like water in a desert and I highly doubt she'll be able to them back. She was better off retiring long before any of this shit hit.

Well Nike actually just lifted their suspension of her endorsement deal as a result of this ruling:

ZjD5E7f.png

Got what she deserved actually should have been banned for 4!!!

Let's not pretend that it's not just as likely that Serena is doping too.

If Serena has been doping then so has Djokovic, nobody can come back from the fade outs he used to have and then become super human energy wise, without some illegal help!

Striek

With no uncertainty at all I can say that literally 100% of elite athletes take steroids and PEDs in literally every sport. Then you have all the actors who are shredded or jacked, and a shitload more regular folk than you would expect.

Its time we have a discussion as a society on whether or not we should give a fuck.

I've met Maria a few times at Wimbledon. She's very nice. I got some nice shots of her too.

That said, she needs to stop fighting this and take her L. She had many opportunities to tell them what
she was taking.

A 2 year ban at nearly age 30 pretty much puts a wrap on her as a contender, no?

Not at all. There are a lot of high performing tennis players in their mid 30s still going strong. Federer and the Williams sisters are examples.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The only ones who should celebrate about this are the ears of all the people present on the tennis court when she was playing.

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. Her Wiki is already updated. She has been stripped of her AO results. A big fat, red DQ over this year's Australian Open.

Volimar

Russian athletes dropping like flies. And of course it's meldonium.

There's a lot of talk about Russians being unfairly targeted with certain chem bans. Meanwhile we have athletes in other countries getting away with doping loads. You wouldn't believe how many cyclists happen to have asthma.

Roffle, lifting suspension on endorsement deal for a banned athlete. How are they even going to use Sharadopa in any capacity at this point?

FStubbs

Of course she does. Come on, it's professional sports. The only ones that "don't dope" are the ones who don't get caught.

I'm pretty sure Serena gets tested every time she wakes up in the morning. You know they'd want to bust her for it if they could.

Cipherr

The "lol cmon guys of course [person] is cheating too!" is the dying breath of the hater that never saw their 'player' beat that person.

Let Sharapova take that L. She earned it.

Striek

There's a lot of talk about Russians being unfairly targeted with certain chem bans. Meanwhile we have athletes in other countries getting away with doping loads. You wouldn't believe how many cyclists happen to have asthma.

Which is the entire problem. Its a game of "lets take every drug which can't be tested for and pretend we have a medical need for every drug that can".

Its stupid. Really stupid. Insultingly, embarrassingly stupid.

This shit enhances recovery and energy. It doesn't negate the need for hard work and natural potential. Lets legitimise drugs and let the hardest working, most naturally adept athletes win, rather than play a game of whose ahead of the testing curve.

Shiggy

With how the entire Russian doping system is built up and endorsed by the political heads, it's unlikely this had been a mistake.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The "lol cmon guys of course [person] is cheating too!" is the dying breath of the hater that never saw their 'player' beat that person.

Let Sharapova take that L. She earned it.
It's the same as the Lance situation. How likely is it that a natural athlete is destroying known dopers at the sport? How many top competitors are not willing to dope if the chances of being caught are low? Some of these drugs are out of their system in less than a few weeks. How many people have the genetics to have huge arms without ever lifting weights?

kottila

Cyclists don't happen to have asthma, top level cycling causes exertion induced asthma (EIA). EIA is very common in some sports for different reasons. In swimming beacuse of the chlorinated pools, cross country skiing from repeated hard physical exertion in cold air, figure skating/hockey from inhaling tiny pollutants form the ice surfacing machines. Luckily the asthma medicines only raise their performance up to the level of what they could achieve if they were healthy. They have no positive effect on healthy athletes

Volimar

Cyclists don't happen to have asthma, top level cycling causes exertion induced asthma (EIA). EIA is very common in some sports for different reasons. In swimming beacuse of the chlorinated pools, cross country skiing from repeated hard physical exertion in cold air, figure skating/hockey from inhaling tiny pollutants form the ice surfacing machines. Luckily the asthma medicines only raise their performance up to the level of what they could achieve if they were healthy. They have no positive effect on healthy athletes

Nice try famous cyclist.

Which is the entire problem. Its a game of "lets take every drug which can't be tested for and pretend we have a medical need for every drug that can".

Its stupid. Really stupid. Insultingly, embarrassingly stupid.

This shit enhances recovery and energy. It doesn't negate the need for hard work and natural potential. Lets legitimise drugs and let the hardest working, most naturally adept athletes win, rather than play a game of whose ahead of the testing curve.

Different people have a different response to taking drugs, if you legitimise them then the winner will be the person with the best drug response ie the best at taking drugs.

Re asthma, I am sure that it has been somewhat abused but exercise induced asthma is a genuine thing, which is more likely to present in outdoor endurance sports like cycling and running. I get it quite badly when exercising and only rarely experience asthma at any other times (once or twice a year). When I went for the initial assessment my spirometry score was exceptionally good, and the dr couldn't believe that I could suffer asthma.

oti

Banned
One thread about Sharapova without a Serena dancing gif or picture. Is that too much to ask for? It doesn't even make sense looking at the head-to-head.

Striek

Different people have a different response to taking drugs, if you legitimise them then the winner will be the person with the best drug response ie the best at taking drugs.

Re asthma, I am sure that it has been somewhat abused but exercise induced asthma is a genuine thing, which is more likely to present in outdoor endurance sports like cycling and running. I get it quite badly when exercising and only rarely experience asthma at any other times (once or twice a year). When I went for the initial assessment my spirometry score was exceptionally good, and the dr couldn't believe that I could suffer asthma.

Every elite athlete already takes the drugs that are the best they think they can get away with. This is a drug that Sharapova has been taking for years to increase performance that has recently been banned. Its absurd that we continue to indulge this charade.

The ranges of "natural performance" for the markers they detect even natural hormones like testosterone at are stupid. Like 300-1200ng/DL. If you are below 1200 then you can be prescribed TRT for your "naturally low levels" (despite whatever age you may be or the median being ~550ng/DL) and with a doctors certificate you are no longer taking illegal steroids.

Its a joke. All elite level competition is about who can take drugs the best. Why do we bother pretending otherwise?

Its not fundamentally different than oxygen therapy. The more resourced athletes almost always win at every sport. Because at a certain point natural competitors can't keep up, and competitive people will always do whatever it takes to win.

Edit: How stupid is it that people keep arguing that sports should be pure when old B samples of cyclists are always showing that hey, those champions of the past (every single one) WERE doping, albeit with substances that either weren't controlled or couldn't be tested for in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom