• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sharapova banned for 2 years (doping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
I read the report and this is really damning for Sharapova, there's no way she can appeal the verdict down. She should get 4 actually but I'm OK with 2 - that'll give her a chance to come back and get her ass kicked by pretty much everybody out there.

kAmui-

These are no accidents, Russia's recent organised and practically government sanctioned doping is well known at this point. Hell there was even talks of Russia being banned from the Olympics, which is Russian sporting isntiutions are taking it all very seriously.

I believe they are actually making the decision if Russia is allowed to compete next week.

Edit: Yep, checked it and it's june 17th when the decision comes.

Maoyama

Banned
NVM, I'm wrong about this... I'll keep the link because it is still relevant in other cases.

There is currently limited data available on excretion studies relating to meldonium; and, as such, several studies are currently being conducted involving WADA accredited laboratories, which WADA will share when available. Until such time, the Notice provides guidance as to how organizations should manage meldonium cases within their respective jurisdictions, which may be to ‘pursue’ or ‘stay’ until further excretion research has been made available.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2016-04/wada-statement-on-meldonium-notice-issued-to-stakeholders

foxdvd

That's creepy AF.

image.php

kottila

The judgment reveals she was taking extra pills before important matches (ie performance enhancing), she stopped working with the doctor in 2010 but continued taking it on her own with only her father (and the latter year her agent) knowing about it, she didn't report the use of meldonium on doping forms although all supplement use should be reported and they had plenty of opportunities to check the new wada list, but they all failed to do it. She got of lightly if you ask me.

Parch

A 2 year ban at nearly age 30 pretty much puts a wrap on her as a contender, no?
Tennis is a young person's game. It's difficult for 30+ to stay in top form and contend. There's only a small window for a player to be prime so a 2 year ban is significant in tennis.

szaromir

Banned
Timeline is roughly:

They announce looking into Meldonium Jan 1 2015. Shes totally within her right to continue using it at this point

They banned it Jan 1, 2016, so she could have used until Dec 31 2015.

Wada catches her in mid January with Meldonium in her system and decides to announce it to the world.

Manufacturers of Meldonium come out a few months later and say that actually, Meldonium stays in your body for months after you stop taking it.

Wata/ITF decide to ignore this and still ban her.
Get out with this nonsense. WADA's decision is fully justified
http://www.itftennis.com/media/231178/231178.pdf

Honestly I find it hard to care about this kind of cheating in sports. I mean it sucks but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Timeline is roughly:

They announce looking into Meldonium Jan 1 2015. Shes totally within her right to continue using it at this point

Wada catches her in mid January with Meldonium in her system and decides to announce it to the world.

Manufacturers of Meldonium come out a few months later and say that actually, Meldonium stays in your body for months after you stop taking it.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2016-04/wada-statement-on-meldonium-notice-issued-to-stakeholders

That is a fiction: http://m.bbc.com/sport/tennis/35750285

"It is very important for you to understand that, for 10 years, this medicine was not on Wada's banned list and I had been legally taking that medicine for the past 10 years," she said.

"But, on 1 January, the rules changed and meldonium became a prohibited substance, which I had not known."

She was taking it all the way through. She never claimed she stopped taking it and that it was just "in her system."

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The judgment reveals she was taking extra pills before important matches (ie performance enhancing), she stopped working with the doctor in 2010 but continued taking it on her own with only her father (and the latter year her agent) knowing about it, she didn't report the use of meldonium on doping forms although all supplement use should be reported and they had plenty of opportunities to check the new wada list, but they all failed to do it. She got of lightly if you ask me.

Yeah, they have been very soft on her. It could have been much worse, she still gets to enjoy the millions of dollars she earned by cheating and she only has to wait 2 years before she can go back to flunking tournaments.

In the coming years I'm sure many more players will be exposed. Nadal and Williams have been incredibly lucky to have the careers they have had with such obvious use of PEDs.

Yeah, I know that... So?

If a player is either arrogant or ignorant enough to do that, they have to be punished severely. There are no excuses.

Timeline is roughly:

But that's never been her argument...

and its Sharapova who announced it to the world, no one knew, or have you forgotten everyone thought she was going to retire when the press conference was initially announced.

Maoyama

Banned
But that's never been her argument...

and its Sharapova who announced it to the world, no one knew, or have you forgotten everyone thought she was going to retire when the press conference was initially announced.

Ok youre right, Im sorry for jumping to conclussions.

Although, she says she did not know she was taking Meldonium, but she knew she was taking mildronate. Imagine having to go pill by pill, making a list of all the ingredients in every single pill youve ever taking and then cross referencing those ingredients against the ever changing WADA list.

She could have been taking mildronate as part of a multiple vitamin/supplement pre-game routine... I have been following this whole WADA shit for a few years, and at this point I literally have less trust in them than in just about anyone else in sports

Maoyama

Banned
My favorite quote from the verdict
Apparently you get a higher risk of diabetes before important matches.

I mean, the report says that in eastern europe it was being administered as treatment for

... principally ischaemic heart disease and cerebrovascular disorders, but also include “decreased working efficiency, intellectual and
physical overstress (including in sportsmen)...”

Maoyama

Banned
I dont specially like Tennis or Sharapova, I have no vested interest in Russian vs Western medicine. Its just that this whole thing strikes a raw nerve with me, I feel the meldonoium catastrophe is being used as a way to punish eastern european athletes in an unfair way, I was wrong about Sharapova no taking Meldonoium in 2016, and I let my anger at Wada's bullshit cloud my thoughts on her specific case.

kottila

Ok youre right, Im sorry for jumping to conclussions.

Although, she says she did not know she was taking Meldonium, but she knew she was taking mildronate. Imagine having to go pill by pill, making a list of all the ingredients in every single pill youve ever taking and then cross referencing those ingredients against the ever changing WADA list.

She could have been taking mildronate as part of a multiple vitamin/supplement pre-game routine... I have been following this whole WADA shit for a few years, and at this point I literally have less trust in them than in just about anyone else in sports

All your arguments are refuted in the verdict. Why don't you just read it? She has a big team of physios, nutritionists etc who's job is to make sure she only takes legal supplements, but she never told them she was taking mildronate and she revealed other supplements on the doping sheets, but never mildronate. As far as your "massive list of ingrediens"-argument:

The website included a 2 page summary of major modifications document which included the statement:
“Meldonium (Mildronate) was added because of evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance.”

I dont specially like Tennis or Sharapova, I have no vested interest in Russian vs Western medicine. Its just that this whole thing strikes a raw nerve with me, I feel the meldonoium catastrophe is being used as a way to punish eastern european athletes in an unfair way, I was wrong about Sharapova no taking Meldonoium in 2016, and I let my anger at Wada's bullshit cloud my thoughts on her specific case.

If eastern european athletes didn't cheat, they wouldn't be caught. Instead they have state sponsored doping programs and massive corruption in their doping laboratories to allow them to cheat without risk.

jett

D-Member
BUBUBU DIABETES

Screw you Sharapova. At least I won't have to deal with your hideous screaming for two years.

Ushojax

I mean, the report says that in eastern europe it was being administered as treatment for

This drug is designed to treat disease of the coronary arteries. A sportsperson like Sharapova does not need this drug, the only reason they would take such a drug is for the illicit improvements to their athletic performance.

Players like her have huge teams of doctors and other experts looking into every aspect of their lives. This was a concerted effort by her and her team to enhance her performance using dubious drugs, just like in the case if all the other Russians caught using it recently. She is not special.

Maoyama

Banned
All your arguments are refuted in the verdict. Why don't you just read it? She has a big team of physios, nutritionists etc who's job is to make sure she only takes legal supplements, but she never told them she was taking mildronate and she revealed other supplements on the doping sheets, but never mildronate. As far as your "massive list of ingrediens"-argument:

The report also says this

Mildronate is promoted as having a positive effect on energy metabolism and stamina 6, to be taken by athletes shortly before training. The evidence of Dr. Rabin 7 exhibits a number of papers which appear to demonstrate that Mildronate has a positive effect on the performance of athletes. It is not necessary for the tribunal to express a view as to whether the scientific evidence is conclusive but it is clear that there has emerged a widespread perception amongst athletes, particularly in Russia and Eastern Europe, that Meldonium does have a performance enhancing effect.

So, you know, we have no scientific proof that it actually does anything but Russians think it helps them, so lets ban it.

Ushojax

So, you know, we have no scientific proof that it actually does anything but Russians think it helps them, so lets ban it.

Why would the Russians be giving a drug for coronary heart disease to their best athletes if it did not enhance their performance? For a laugh?

The paragraph you quoted refers to scientific evidence that meldonium enhances performance. It simply says the tribunal did not take a view on the science and simply treated it as a banned substance. The people on the tribunal are not scientists.

kottila

All athletes were warned not to take the drug, including russians. It was on the warning list a year in advance, so they knew it could be banned. It's impossible to have scientific studies to prove whether a drug is performance enhancing in any situation. If athletes are taking drugs they have no medical reasons for, only for a perceived advantage, it is enough to ban its use.

Maoyama

Banned
Why would the Russians be giving a drug for coronary heart disease to their best athletes if it did not enhance their performance? For a laugh?

Why do people take creatine, or vitamins or have a balanced diet? Why do people take ice baths, homeopathy, acupuncture, or any other bullshit therapy that does nothing?

There are millions of substances that are performance enhancing but the line that must be draw is what is appropriate and fair for competition. Part of this line is looking at scientific results that quantify the degree of performance enhancing and compare it against possible negative side effect or against the cost of using those supplements.

So, drugs like steroids are banned because they have awful effects on your body and at the same time have a very proven and drastic boost on performance. Meldonoium might be a performance booster, it might also be a drastic performance booster. At this point we don't know how strong its effects are, we only know athletes feel it helps them.

Quick question, how many athletes feel acupuncture helps them recover? Should we ban it even though it has no measurable effects because they feel it helps them?

Ushojax

Why do people take creatine, or vitamins or have a balanced diet? Why do people take ice baths, homeopathy, acupuncture, or any other bullshit therapy that does nothing?

There are millions of substances that are performance enhancing but the line that must be draw is what is appropriate and fair for competition. Part of this line is looking at scientific results that quantify the degree of performance enhancing and compare it against possible negative side effect or against the cost of using those supplements.

So, drugs like steroids are banned because they have awful effects on your body and at the same time have a very proven and drastic boost on performance. Meldonoium might be a performance booster, it might also be a drastic performance booster. At this point we don't know how strong its effects are, we only know athletes feel it helps them.

Quick question, how many athletes feel acupuncture helps them recover? Should we ban it even though it has no measurable effects because they feel it helps them?

None of that is relevant to the judgment, this tribunal was not tasked with investigating the drug itself. The tribunal was to determine whether Sharapova broke the rules regarding banned substances, which she did. Whether the drug deserves to be on that list is not relevant to her case, she and her team knew it was going to be banned and had plenty of time to stop using it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Before all the "she made a mistake" and "controlled substance lists are confusing" crowd come in, I did some research in the last thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=197812003

The drug she was taking was placed on a monitoring list a year in advance. The monitoring list is on WADA's website and I (a non professional) was able to find it.

It is a single page.

This year it had been added to the prohibited list. It is only 9 pages and very simple to read -here is the relevant column:

As an athlete, she needed to stay on top of this. She's young and healthy, she isn't taking a dozen different drugs. WADA isn't burying their prohibited substances deep in a pile of documents. They don't add substances without a year of warning.

From what I've read, it's not that she didn't pay attention to the list. It's that the list had the generic drug name, her prescription had a brand name (or vice versa), and her prescription wasn't on the list.

She just didn't know that the prescription was a banned substance under a different name. Seems like an easy mistake to make.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Ushojax

From what I've read, it's not that she didn't pay attention to the list. It's that the list had the generic drug name, her prescription had a brand name (or vice versa), and her prescription wasn't on the list.

She just didn't know that the prescription was a banned substance under a different name. Seems like an easy mistake to make.

Correct me if I'm wrong

There is no way that Sharapova herself is the only person in her vast team who has the responsibility for checking the banned substances list. An oversight as blindingly obvious as a generic/brand name mixup is ludicrous. A pharmacology undergraduate wouldn't make a mistake like that, I find it hard to believe that her team of medical experts would.

Line_HTX

Just appeal it and hope maybe it'll be a one year ban at least.

This almost sounds like the Tennis World and fans want to push her into retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom