• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

deim0s

Those are your cans of dr. pepper at the back. Take it to the trash. ;)

Actually, that sound annoyed me to hell.

Does applying the graphics/blur tweaks mods affect online games?

@DenogginizerOS
You should just log-in with your EA account, the game should prompt you your three cars.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It really is an annoying rattle-can noise. Nothing I've ever heard before in real life.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
AlphaSnake said:
It really is an annoying rattle-can noise. Nothing I've ever heard before in real life.

Yeah, agreed... but what is it supposed to be, and what causes it?

This game is just a mess. I cannot get use to the handling of the cars in this, in between Drew Carey explaining the races.

While trying to deal with what I've been given, I crash into the wall I get this..

Just give Criterion complete control of your racing EA.

There's like a permanent fog in Shift 2. It's obvious Shift 2 is not as good as Forza nor GT5 but it really bothers me that EA went out of their way to compare this hot mess to two much more superior racers.

Bravoexo

Anyone knows where all the pictures I take go? (PC version)

* nevermind, it was in Autolog (which needed a mouse click to access), though how do i get out of it though... (edit) ah found how to use the back button on the xbox controller again.. ha ha...

AlphaSnake

FlyinJ said:
Yeah, agreed... but what is it supposed to be, and what causes it?

It almost sounds like the clunking noise a car makes when you come off the clutch too quick in 1st gear. I forgot the exact term...it's not chatter, but the car bobs back and forth and makes that clunk.

legbone

Square Triangle said:
There's like a permanent fog in Shift 2. It's obvious Shift 2 is not as good as Forza nor GT5 but it really bothers me that EA went out of their way to compare this hot mess to two much more superior racers.

No offense good sir, but i have much more fun playing shift 2. forza and gt are far superior products in every way but one. the actual racing.

Klocker

AlphaSnake said:
It almost sounds like the clunking noise a car makes when you come off the clutch too quick in 1st gear. I forgot the exact term...it's not chatter, but the car bobs back and forth and makes that clunk.

yes it counds like your car knocking from bad gas.... BUT it is actually supposed to be running over rubber and debris on the track... occasionally would be fine but it is annoying

Kryten

It's a good thing nothing about the Riviera circuit resembles a real life circuit *cough*Monaco*cough* - we wouldn't want EA's lawyers getting in trouble now, would we? :)

Bravoexo

Decided to retune the Team Need for Speed RX-8 for Silverstone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BTDGoqK1bU

Took about 20mins to get this tuned. Stock tune profile was way too loose. Tunning sessions alone will make this game last a lot longer than I anticipated. I don't even care about the Career mode anymore.... (well, until I need a new car to buy to tune, I guess)

So I've been on a racing game kick lately, played Shift 2 for the past few days, and after switching the steering and speed sensitivity as one poster mentioned, I am actually having fun with it.

HOWEVER...

Why is the presentation so terrible? From the single song, to the horrible menus, loading screens, even the front end. Just for kicks I played some GRID yesterday, and then some Dirt 2. GRID's presentation is just amazing, a full seamless experience that sucks you in from the beginning logo to the time you quit. Just seems like developers would learn from past games, especially within the same genre, and build upon them. That game is 3 years old now, and it shits all over Shift presentation-wise. I guess I'm just disappointed Shift isn't more "flashy" so to say. It's just so... boring. The racing is fun yes, but I have to roll my eyes at pretty much EVERYTHING else.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So I've been on a racing game kick lately, played Shift 2 for the past few days, and after switching the steering and speed sensitivity as one poster mentioned, I am actually having fun with it.

HOWEVER...

Why is the presentation so terrible? From the single song, to the horrible menus, loading screens, even the front end. Just for kicks I played some GRID yesterday, and then some Dirt 2. GRID's presentation is just amazing, a full seamless experience that sucks you in from the beginning logo to the time you quit. Just seems like developers would learn from past games, especially within the same genre, and build upon them. That game is 3 years old now, and it shits all over Shift presentation-wise. I guess I'm just disappointed Shift isn't more "flashy" so to say. It's just so... boring. The racing is fun yes, but I have to roll my eyes at pretty much EVERYTHING else.

the front end is terrible. lots of between menu loading, shitty navigation, unintuitive navigation. you name it. its bad.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Dilly said:
Shift 1's menu looked terrible too afaik.

i actually find 2's much worse, but yeah, shift 1 wouldnt win any prizes either

saladine1

There's certainly a few things that need attention.

While I would love to have SHIFT every year,I believe that EA should not make the game a yearly affair. It's got an awesome foundation to build upon. It would be greatly benefitted if the game came out every two years so the devs can concentrate on making an even better game. Don't make this just another cash cow like everything else. There is an absolute gem in the making here and if they want to compete with GT and FM, as they have said, they need to treat this series completely different to every other game of theirs.
But it's EA so that's not going to happen...

Bravoexo

I'm having a blast in the tuning department though... very Forza-ish, try this... nope, try another.... while your on the track... and the settings changes are more immediate and here than on Forza...(well, at least easier to apply to every where... plus its a per single car to a specific track kind of profile... so you can really do hours and hours of tuning alone and forget about career racing all together...)

sneaky77

I haven't found a place to load setups before the race, so I assume is automatically loaded?

I concur Navigation is terrible.

Hixx

dont really have any problems with the menus. but starting to get annoyed by the incredibly narrow tracks with 8 cars on. first few corners on some tracks are fucking infuriating. The screen draining of colour when you hit a wall needs to go away if they make Shift 3 as well, fuck that.

Bravoexo

Shift 2 stores a tuning profile per unique car, per track. Which makes sense, a single car would not run all track the same way.

If you go to the Garage, pick your car and say Tune, you can "Create" and it will load the recommended setup for that car... but not specific to a track. (Like the Team Need for Speed RX-8 was undrivable @ Silverstone, because it was set up for drifting...)

legbone

saladine1 said:
There's certainly a few things that need attention.

While I would love to have SHIFT every year,I believe that EA should not make the game a yearly affair. It's got an awesome foundation to build upon. It would be greatly benefitted if the game came out every two years so the devs can concentrate on making an even better game. Don't make this just another cash cow like everything else. There is an absolute gem in the making here and if they want to compete with GT and FM, as they have said, they need to treat this series completely different to every other game of theirs.
But it's EA so that's not going to happen...

I agree completely. I think the reason this year's game is not quite the improvement over the first title that it could have been is due to this. it's because they had to rush to get it out. for example, i really miss the color wheel for painting in the first one. at first i was like "what the fuck is this and how do i use it?" once i got used to it i think it should be in every game. the barebones turd that is in there now was just thrown in last minute i am sure. i'm sure they spent so much time improving the handling model and perfecting "helmet cam" (which i feel is just a gimmick) that they went "OH SHIT!!!!, deadline's here! gotta get the game out, fuck it!!!"

AlphaSnake

Klocker said:
yes it counds like your car knocking from bad gas.... BUT it is actually supposed to be running over rubber and debris on the track... occasionally would be fine but it is annoying

Engine knock, that's also what it sounds like.

But yeah, I think you're right, it's supposed to happen when you're running over debris. Although, I've noticed it isn't very consistent.

AlphaSnake

Square Triangle said:
Just give Criterion complete control of your racing EA.

Just give me complete control and I promise I'll make the best damn sim racer an NFS/multi-platform franchise can be.

noire said:
Kmart is supposed to have this for $40 next week, so I'll be jumping in. Really looking forward to it.

I hope Amazon match that sale price, no Kmart around here. I got this game reserve then cancel after reading all the impression. I like the first game until I get to higher tier cars then the game is nearly unplayable. It seems this one still suffer from the same control issue.

I have a feeling some of these reviewers never got into higher tier when they review the game just like the first game. I was really looking forward to this game but probably gonna wait, my backlog is huge anyway, still have F1 game and Hot Pursuit along with some flight games to play.

antiquegamer said:
I hope Amazon match that sale price, no Kmart around here. I got this game reserve then cancel after reading all the impression. I like the first game until I get to higher tier cars then the game is nearly unplayable. It seems this one still suffer from the same control issue.
Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed with tuning? This game, more than any other racer I've played lives or dies by tuning. I'm still coming to grips with all of the options, but it seems like in other racing games the cars are already pretty race worthy from the moment you buy them, but in Shift 2 they really need some fine tuned loving.

Complete tuning noob here though, so this is mostly new to me. But the tuning & test mode makes this aspect of racing far more approachable for me.

Now if I can only understand just what the hell the various telemetry screens are telling me ;P I'm just going by feel right now as I don't grok what the various colors and bars are meant to represent.

saladine1

NullPointer said:
Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed with tuning? This game, more than any other racer I've played lives or dies by tuning. I'm still coming to grips with all of the options, but it seems like in other racing games the cars are already pretty race worthy from the moment you buy them, but in Shift 2 they really need some fine tuned loving.

Complete tuning noob here though, so this is mostly new to me. But the tuning & test mode makes this aspect of racing far more approachable for me.

Now if I can only understand just what the hell the various telemetry screens are telling me ;P I'm just going by feel right now as I don't grok what the various colors and bars are meant to represent.
That's the problem. SMS didn't bother giving a proper tutorial to any kind of upgrades,tuning and telemetry. I miss the old British guy they used in SHIFT1.
They pretty much stuffed up with the default settings. I don't know who tested the game but they all should be shot.
SHIFT 2 is in dire need of patches. They should be working on it right now to fix the settings problems, input problems, freezing problems, steering wheel problems and various other things.
They really need to respond to all the shit people are experiencing..

last similar game I tried was Forza 2. I find in this game simulates the driving experience in a wider way. Maybe the new simulation engine they are hyping actually works?

I have upgraded the Honda S2000 to a competitive C Class, the upgraded steering seting was horrible I couldnt control the car, It felt like the that stock posche you have to drive at that early fast lap event.
I just tightened the steering, antiroll bar and springs just a little bit and now it feels so good.

The only two things I really hate of the game are the menu system and the presentation, they are awful. Oh and the music is terrible too. But the core of the game is great IMO.

Either the PC version has better simulation engine or the console users are just too used to their favourite games and this game feels too different to them.

This game is amazing.

I was enjoying it initially - now I'm genuinely loving it. It's a shame that there are some UI/Menu issues that make the game a little more frustrating than it should be, because everything else seems really well done.

I'm having a blast competing with 2 mates trying to post the best speed wall time on mount panorama with a 1499/B class car. I currently hold it by about 1.2 seconds at 2:01.435. Pretty much pushing cars beyond their limits and ignoring the best line far beyond sensibly to get these times.

Can't wait until we get into the A class events. Although, a quick question - I am level capped at 20? Is this for everyone or only until you get to a certain point in the game - kind of annoying seeing the EXP I'm earning go nowhere.

Bidermaier said:
last similar game I tried was Forza 2. I find in this game simulates the driving experience in a wider way. Maybe the new simulation engine they are hyping actually works?

I have upgraded the Honda S2000 to a competitive C Class, the upgraded steering seting was horrible I couldnt control the car, It felt like the that stock posche you have to drive at that early fast lap event.
I just tightened the steering, antiroll bar and springs just a little bit and now it feels so good.

The only two things I really hate of the game are the menu system and the presentation, they are awful. Oh and the music is terrible too. But the core of the game is great IMO.

Either the PC version has better simulation engine or the console users are just too used to their favourite games and this game feels too different to them.

Can you tune the spring rates, alignment settings etc? If so, I can give you real-world S2000 specs that will make it much easier to drive. I track my S2000 in real life so I'm overly familiar with what works with the car.

If it's not as precise as Forza, here's what will work:

Soften the rear sway bar (anti-roll bar), and stiffen up the front sway bar. This will induce understeer and help keep the rear under control.

Stiffen up the front springs, and soften the rear springs. Or set them to equal stiffness if you like a little oversteer.

If you can do alignment, try these specs

Front
Caster: 7-7.5 degrees
Camber: -2.5 to -3.5 camber
Toe in: 0.1 degrees

Rear: Camber -3.5 to -4.0
Toe in: 0.4 to 0.5 degrees

If you can, run a nonstaggered tire setup. Try to run 255 width tires in the front and rear. Forza doesn't really let you run a nonstaggered setup, but maybe Shift 2 does. I'll pick it up today and see what works. The S2000 drives a LOT better with a nonstaggered setup, gives it much better turn-in and front grip, which means better braking and rotation.

mclaren777

You can select the following views:
Bumper Cam (default)
Bonnet Cam (default)
Chase Cam (default)
Cockpit Cam (visor)
Cockpit Cam (no visor)

And the following DOF settings:
Cockpit OFF + Visor OFF
Cockpit OFF + Visor ON
Cockpit ON + Visor OFF

Source

48YG3.jpg

Tg5E7.jpg

Bravoexo

I spend a lot of time tuning... which is amazing, coz the changes I make is more immediate and really affects the car / track combination.... and it really has to be on a car to track profile... it seems one profile really won't work for the same car on another track. (wierd but it's been like that with my MX-5 and the Exige)

Stripper13 said:
This game is amazing.

I was enjoying it initially - now I'm genuinely loving it.
Gotta say I'm right there with ya. As a game, I can compare it to Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 3 and it comes out on top for the type of player I am. All the mini goals you can set for yourself and get feedback on - your driving style, mastering corners, mastering tracks, tuning options and feeling their results in real time, and just the overall wealth of options in general. You can gain XP (and thus cash and cars) not just from the main career, but even from doing time trials and quick races, if that's what you're into. You can take your favorite car and keep it through a variety of races and give it the time you need to learn its intricacies and push it to the edge. Races are tense, and mistakes don't just cost you time, but can splay your parts out across the track. AI drivers are aggressive, but in my experience not overly so, and fall victim to their own aggression at times, leading to opportunities for you to take the lead. Autolog just takes all of this and adds even more mini goals and ways to have fun. As a *game*, Shift 2 rocks.

But all the same it also makes me appreciate something like GT5 even more. The technical achievement that Polyphony managed, by having such detailed driving models and visuals, running smooth, with a wealth of side options. Its solid, honed, and always rewarding to drive. As a *game*, GT5 stinks. As an ode to cars and driving, it excels.

So, to sum up, between GT5 and Shift 2 my motorsports gland is thoroughly satisfied, and will keep me more than happy until the next Forza, which hopefully ups the ante.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bravoexo said:
Shift 2 stores a tuning profile per unique car, per track. Which makes sense, a single car would not run all track the same way.

If you go to the Garage, pick your car and say Tune, you can "Create" and it will load the recommended setup for that car... but not specific to a track. (Like the Team Need for Speed RX-8 was undrivable @ Silverstone, because it was set up for drifting...)

say you set up a tune for a car for silverstone. How easy is it to copy that tune across to another track? I'm thinking that there are probably some basic tunes you'll do to make a car suit your driving style better. And many of those will be applicable to many different tracks. So it'd be better to be able to maybe create a few template tunes, and then select one for a particular track - certainly quicker than having to tune from stock for every track?

daviyoung

Banned
mrklaw said:
say you set up a tune for a car for silverstone. How easy is it to copy that tune across to another track?

You can load up your Silverstone tune, then re-save it at any other location of your choice

I am kinda' enjoying the game but it does suffer in several areas,
Performance is all over the place (PC). Often 60fps, sometimes 35 and occasionally the game bugs out and I get 10 fps (this can be corrected by alt-tabbing out then in).
Car handling can work fine, but it takes ages to find the right set up and the physics feels old, almost stone age in their lack of subtlety. Also the animation of your car is odd. It looks like it pivots from a central axis right in the middle of the car. This would help explain a lot of the handling issues in the game.
And yet it can be good, at times. Such a shame they can't nail it.

Bravoexo

Finally got some drifting action

Miami Drift Park - Team Need for Speed RX-8 - Retuned

Lap 1

(Small)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOhNEgSLBYc

(HQ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLVgPgQjLBw

Lap 2

(Small)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GoEGEq1Pc

(HQ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmcpetE84bc

* I loaded the default drift setup of the car... sure enough, it was still undrivable for me and my controller even with TC/SC off so I loaded the slip and slide tune I made for it on Silverstone and let loose. In the middle there I spun around, and got me thinking what would I do if this was Okatuma from Grid...Lap 2 was much less aggressive til the 2nd and last corner... he he. (I saw I could get 1st place if i push it a bit.)

Edit: Uploaded HQ version... PC version looks so nice.

MANGOD

Banned
Dont know whether to get on the 360 to play with friends, or get on the triple to play with the wheel.........

123rl

I just got the 360 version and my first impressions aren't too good. I got rammed off the track three times in the first race and had to restart twice. I expect that from Gran Turismo but Shift's AI was always very good and drivers would steer around and avoid collisions. Every crash in Shift 2 was because the drivers drove straight into me/through me as if I wasn't there. It looks shit too. Really, really, shit!

daviyoung

Banned
The AI will usually try to get out of your way, but it won't make reservations if you're trying to one-up them. It's just as much your job to stay out of their way as it is for them to stay out of yours. It can get pretty aggressive, but it's nothing like taking the race online!

And yeh, most of the time it looks terrible. The effects are nice though.

Bulk_Rate

I am using a wired 360 Controller on my PC to play this, without much success. I can't seem to find a controller setting (sensitivity, speed sensitivity, etc.) which strikes a nice balance between straight line stability and low speed responsiveness.

Most of the time I end up with a setting where the car is not twitchy at high speeds, but waaaayy over-sensitive for low speed corners. This is not a problem when I am driving alone; but when I have to make a sudden move to avoid a slower (or kamikaze) AI driver, it is too easy to over-correct.

I have logged a bajillion hours in GT1-4 and Forza 2/3 so I knows hows to run laps with a thumbstick, but this sucker has me PO'ed.

FWIW, I am able to drive well all day long in F12010 on my PC, again with Xbox 360 controller.

Thanks

Top Bottom