• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Tizoc

Digital Devil Apocalypse and Kaneko Works III(good luck with the second).

And P2 IS was already a pretty easy game. The only flaws in the PSP version beyond that are the nerfed final boss, the interface updates(trivial IMO), and the 'Masked Circle'/honorific stuff(minor IMO).

At least they got Michel's name right. That really irked me in Gemini's version.

Thanks.

cj_iwakura

Was SMT2 ever officially localized in english?

No, fan translated SNES version. It's my least favorite of the core games, but it has its charms.

I'm not a big fan of the heavy Messian focus. It did have one boss fight that creeped the hell out of me, though.
Betelgeuse.

Overclocked or Vanilla? Either way, yes. I prefer to pick up where I left off and fill in the blanks along the way, though.

Overclocked. I got to the last day but got stuck on a fight. Don't remember what route I was on, spoiler just in case:
MC and team were breaking out of the lockdown, attacking some Angels when the cult girl and army girl shows up. Wouldn't be so bad except the Angels cast a spell that drains MP.

cj_iwakura

Overclocked. I got to the last day but got stuck on a fight. Don't remember what route I was on, spoiler just in case:
MC and team were breaking out of the lockdown, attacking some Angels when the cult girl and army girl shows up. Wouldn't be so bad except the Angels cast a spell that drains MP.

Yeah, that's no point to start over from. See it through and send them back to YHVH in a box.

BearChair

Drain them right back. Assuming your characters can act first, a high-level demon with drain or a magic focused MC can suck away all of an Angel's MP in one turn.

Also, there's a skill that purely drains a lot of MP, but it might not be available until the 8th day in Overclocked - can't remember.

My time in the Rotting Sea of Flames in (Kyuuyaku) Megami Tensei 1 continues. I was able to solve the mystery of
rescuing Izanami and getting her Robe, so now we won't get constant damage walking in the dungeon.
Unfortunately, I'm about out of MAG for once thanks to some new fusions and low mag drops from enemies, so we're frequently walking around with the demons losing 1 hp every step
which was 2 hp before we got the Robe.
. I also managed to set foot in the final dungeon (Infini Palace) but since I still haven't found the Sea of Flames boss, I'm going to stick around longer and complete this area.

Yumiko knows all of her spells and has maxed her Intelligence stat. She should also be maxing her MP soon. I'm focusing on making her contribute more with her physicals since she doesn't have a huge amount of MP and many of her weapons are multi-hits. She's also a bit beefier, but she's still gotta stay in the back with her very low HP (in comparison, I recently fused Kali who has over 700 HP. Nakajima has ~430 HP, and Yumiko only has ~240 HP). Nakajima of course is a warrior build with lots of strength and decent Stamina and Luck. Neither of my humans are speed demons this time around.

Yeah, that's no point to start over from. See it through and send them back to YHVH in a box.

Drain them right back. Assuming your characters can act first, a high-level demon with drain or a magic focused MC can suck away all of an Angel's MP in one turn.

Also, there's a skill that purely drains a lot of MP, but it might not be available until the 8th day in Overclocked - can't remember.

Care to tell me how I can do this? My MC is pure magic user. He hits hard and is equipped with most 'dyne spells. But I can't beat this map. Been close but either I lose all MP, and previous enemies I eliminated get resurected.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I just started playing Soul Hackers, I'm only a few hours in but...

'Keep Hell warm for me Urabe' was a badass line. Hitomi seems pretty cool about the whole 'being possessed' thing.

Also it was literally two words of dialogue from Tomoko before I went 'Oh, Erin is doing Chie again'.

I recognised that Spooky is Akihiko's voice as well. I never noticed this kind of thing before I stared posting in the Persona Community Thread and actually started to get familiar with VA names.

I watched Redline recently and one of the voices was constantly bugging me because it seemed familiar, checked it out afterwards and it's the same guy.

cj_iwakura

I just started playing Soul Hackers, I'm only a few hours in but...

'Keep Hell warm for me Urabe' was a badass line. Hitomi seems pretty cool about the whole 'being possessed' thing.

Also it was literally two words of dialogue from Tomoko before I went 'Oh, Erin is doing Chie again'.

I recognised that Spooky is Akihiko's voice as well. I never noticed this kind of thing prefer I stared posting in the Persona Community Thread and actually started to get familiar with VA names.

I watched Redline recently and one of the voices was constantly bugging me because it seemed familiar, checked it out afterwards and it's the same guy.

I usually don't mind repeat VAs, but Liam as Spooky was more than a little jarring. He sounds too much like Akihiko. He does good as him, but there's no effort to sound different.

He sounds wildly different in Drakengard 3. Pure insanity.

It's a minor nitpick, though. They did phenomenal on Soul Hackers. EVERYONE gets a voice, even the optional bosses
and SID MFIN DAVIS
!

cj_iwakura

Is it ok to post fanart in here? I did a Lucifer sketch...

Very nice. Is that the Lady in Black?

Care to tell me how I can do this? My MC is pure magic user. He hits hard and is equipped with most 'dyne spells. But I can't beat this map. Been close but either I lose all MP, and previous enemies I eliminated get resurected.

You need some Dance magic. Have the physical hitters take the vanguard? It would help if you shared your party and skill setup. But I'm sure you can do it.

Paltheos

I beat Red Rider in SMT4! On Normal! Man, is that guy a dick. I'm pretty sure one turn he cast Antichthon four times, with some crit attacks sprinkled in there for more press turns.

That's three down now, counting Matador and White Rider, and probably enough for me. I wanted the loot and don't feel like resetting for the others atm. Time for the endgame.

I've made it to Lucifer's chamber in (K)MT1, but I still need to go back and get the item so he won't keep Diarahan'ing himself. I'd ideally like a couple better demons too, but that may take a little bit of extra work. I'm trying to finish this up before Ys 6 is out.

c-murph

cj_iwakura

I really appreciate how SMT-esque The Secret World is. All it's missing is demonic familiars and you'd have a post-apocalyptic SMT universe.

Templars = Messians, Dragon = Gaians, Illuminati = Neutrality.

The combat is also what Imagine's should have been. Theirs did have great potential, though. It's just a slog.

Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 1 has been completed. Lucifer only took 1 try, but it was a close match. Nakajima and Yumiko were able to tank his attacks pretty well, but a lot of my other demons were getting wrecked. addition, Lucifer knew the instant death move and if my Odin wasn't able to cast Tetraja in time it would likely kill one of the humans.

Eventually Yumiko died with no one to revive her, and soon it was just Nakajima vs. Lucifer. Thanks to all of the Jewels I'd never used, I actually knew that I had a reasonable chance of beating him as long as I didn't get nailed with an instant death spell. Fortunately I lucked out and that never happened, giving me the win.

I may mess around with MT2 a bit, but Im probably going to take a break with Ys VI coming soon and other stuff before going full steam into it.

Refyref

I really appreciate how SMT-esque The Secret World is. All it's missing is demonic familiars and you'd have a post-apocalyptic SMT universe.

Templars = Messians, Dragon = Gaians, Illuminati = Neutrality.

The combat is also what Imagine's should have been. Theirs did have great potential, though. It's just a slog.

I've only ever played an hour of TSW. I should really try actually playing it once...

GeekyDad

Returning to the party of Strange Journey. Not sure why I reordered it right now of all times, considering my pre-order of Record Breaker should be shipping soon, but I just have to replay it again. It's one of my favorites still. Think the sci-fi/horror vibe just reminds me of stuff I used to dig as a kid.

squadr0n

Just picked up Devil Summoner 2 Raidou vs King Abadon. How is the story? I never played the first one since I heard the controls have improved a lot. I'm looking for a SMT game with a good plot other than the Digital Devil Saga but it doesn't seem like these games have much going for them story wise.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh, a Hunter.

That line always got me in SMT IV.

This is real, right?

I finally started playing DeSu Overclocked after owning it when I got my 3DS about a year or two ago. I finished the first one loooong ago, gonna try a different route this time.

Just picked up Devil Summoner 2 Raidou vs King Abadon. How is the story? I never played the first one since I heard the controls have improved a lot. I'm looking for a SMT game with a good plot other than the Digital Devil Saga but it doesn't seem like these games have much going for them story wise.

It's kind of uneven. I personally think it's mediocre. It is tied with Strange Journey for my favorite
version of Lucifer
, though.

squadr0n

Is Record Breaker coming with Devil survivor 2's main campaign or just the new story arc? Never played the original and the story trailer is focused on the new story stuff. On Wikipedia it just says the new campaign is selectable from the beginning, so im assuming its like FES.

Is Record Breaker coming with Devil survivor 2's main campaign or just the new story arc? Never played the original and the story trailer is focused on the new story stuff. On Wikipedia it just says the new campaign is selectable from the beginning, so im assuming its like FES.

They're focusing on the new stuff to entice players of the original to buy this version. It does also have the original game in there.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Yup, it has both. You can start off from either one.

Seda

Clearing either Septentrione (original story) or Triangulum (new story) will allow you to create a clear save, and you can bring in your demons, macca, compendium, etc into the other story (either order) as a "New Game Plus". It's pretty flexible.

Clearing either Septentrione (original story) or Triangulum (new story) will allow you to create a clear save, and you can bring in your demons, macca, compendium, etc into the other story (either order) as a "New Game Plus". It's pretty flexible.

But I assume the difficulty in the new story is assuming that you're playing a fresh save, so if you want to stay challenged, you don't want to New Game+, correct?

Seda

But I assume the difficulty in the new story is assuming that you're playing a fresh save, so if you want to stay challenged, you don't want to New Game+, correct?

Correct. Your characters start around level 20 with similar level demons. If you NG+ it you'll steamroll everything.

squadr0n

Yup, it has both. You can start off from either one.

Awesome! I never got a chance to play the original and really wanted to give it a go this time around.

As someone fairly new to the series and has only really played the Persona games, what would SMTGAF recommend I play next? I have Nocturne, SMTIV, DDS1 and 2, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, and I just bought DS Raidou vs King Adadon 2. I know most of the games dont really have a set timeline or order but im still not sure what the best game would be to get invested into the series. What would you guys recommend I sit down and finish until Record Breaker is out atleast since alot of friends have recommended I play that first.

Awesome! I never got a chance to play the original and really wanted to give it a go this time around.

As someone fairly new to the series and has only really played the Persona games, what would SMTGAF recommend I play next? I have Nocturne, SMTIV, DDS1 and 2, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, and I just bought DS Raidou vs King Adadon 2. I know most of the games dont really have a set timeline or order but im still not sure what the best game would be to get invested into the series. What would you guys recommend I sit down and finish until Record Breaker is out atleast since alot of friends have recommended I play that first.

I got in from SMT4 and branched from there so that's the one I can recommend. It has some problems, but I loved it.

squadr0n

I got in from SMT4 and branched from there so that's the one I can recommend. It has some problems, but I loved it.

Ive played SMTIV up until the point where you get to Medusa I think it is. I saved in this area that I cant leave from unless I beat the boss. Plus i dont have the right demons and I cant get anything else from the area im stuck in. I guess Ill start over since I havent played since it came out.

Anyone recommend Soul Hackers on 3DS, or does it feel too dated nowadays? Its on sale for 50% off on the 3DS eshop if anyone is interested by the way.

Ive played SMTIV up until the point where you get to Medusa I think it is. I saved in this area that I cant leave from unless I beat the boss. Plus i dont have the right demons and I cant get anything else from the area im stuck in. I guess Ill start over since I havent played since it came out.

Anyone recommend Soul Hackers on 3DS, or does it feel too dated nowadays?

You're like RIGHT at the point where SMT4 finally opens up. I wouldn't give up on it so soon. And you're not really stuck before Medusa, I don't think there's a point of no return in that area. You can go back up the stairs and to the terminal and back to the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado if you really need to. I'd recommend recruiting some demons in the area with Medusa and fusing some and giving it another try. She's definitely beatable if you prepare for the fight properly by getting some demons that resist electricity and can use Force spells. Take advantage of that press turn system.

As for Soul Hackers, haven't played it myself but I hear its really good from everyone that has.

Top Bottom