• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Nimby

Banned
Ive played SMTIV up until the point where you get to Medusa I think it is. I saved in this area that I cant leave from unless I beat the boss. Plus i dont have the right demons and I cant get anything else from the area im stuck in. I guess Ill start over since I havent played since it came out.

Anyone recommend Soul Hackers on 3DS, or does it feel too dated nowadays? Its on sale for 50% off on the 3DS eshop if anyone is interested by the way.

If you're level 16, Gu Huo Niao is a good demon to use against her. So is Zhu Tun She.

Shiina

Anyone recommend Soul Hackers on 3DS, or does it feel too dated nowadays? Its on sale for 50% off on the 3DS eshop if anyone is interested by the way.

SH is good but you can feel that the game is old. I would only recommend it to MegaTen fans (who have played most MT games and want more) and fans of first person dungeon crawlers.

SMT IV is a good choice for a more casual approach at MT. Nocturne would be the less forgiving alternative. SJ is easily the best first person MT game. DDS1/2 are closer to regular JRPGs than to MT so maybe those would also be a good way of easing you into the series.

squadr0n

SH is good but you can feel that the game is old. I would only recommend it to MegaTen fans (who have played most MT games and want more) and fans of first person dungeon crawlers.

SMT IV is a good choice for a more casual approach at MT. Nocturne would be the less forgiving alternative. SJ is easily the best first person MT game. DDS1/2 are closer to regular JRPGs than to MT so maybe those would also be a good way of easing you into the series.

I actually have had better luck with Nocture difficulty wise, I just got lost on where to go next after the Dante fight, I think im in Mantra Headquarters or alil after that. Just got bored with it i think. I have a hard time starting these games and finishing them if they dont get really get my attention. I really loved SMT IV but like I said before, I thought I was stuck and gave up. I need to go back and finish.

spinz

Awesome! I never got a chance to play the original and really wanted to give it a go this time around.

As someone fairly new to the series and has only really played the Persona games, what would SMTGAF recommend I play next? I have Nocturne, SMTIV, DDS1 and 2, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, and I just bought DS Raidou vs King Adadon 2. I know most of the games dont really have a set timeline or order but im still not sure what the best game would be to get invested into the series. What would you guys recommend I sit down and finish until Record Breaker is out atleast since alot of friends have recommended I play that first.

Nocturne is a must play IMO. If youre interested in devil survivor, then you should probably start with overclocked since thats extremely good as well.
What it boils down to:
if you want to play a strategy game go with overclocked.
If you want a longer traditional rpg, go with nocturne.

Soul hackers isnt bad, but id save it for later when/if youre hooked on the series. It definitely does feel dated.

cj_iwakura

Soul Hackers is one of my favorite SMTs, but I love old school and cyberpunk, so take that into mind. The story holds up very well, and Atlus did a bang-up job on the localization.

squadr0n

If you're level 16, Gu Huo Niao is a good demon to use against her. So is Zhu Tun She.

Okay just checked my SMT IV save. Im level 17 and I have:
Hooligan 16
Napaea 11
Spriggan 14
Bilwis 8
Toubyou 15
Jack Frost 16

Any reccomendations on who to keep or fuse and where to get the 2 you mentioned?

And you guys were right, I wasnt stuck!

Okay just checked my SMT IV save. Im level 17 and I have:
Hooligan 16
Napaea 11
Spriggan 14
Bilwis 8
Toubyou 15
Jack Frost 16

Any reccomendations on who to keep or fuse and where to get the 2 you mentioned?

And you guys were right, I wasnt stuck!

Looking it up online, I believe if you fuse a spriggan and a stonka you can get Gu Huo Niao. Online it says you can find a Stonka from the excavation worker's quarters in Naruku which I believe is right above the area with Medusa.

Hooligan is also good for the fight since he nulls electricity and resists gun types of attacks.

squadr0n

Looking it up online, I believe if you fuse a spriggan and a stonka you can get Gu Huo Niao. Online it says you can find a Stonka from the excavation worker's quarters in Naruku which I believe is right above the area with Medusa.

Hooligan is also good for the fight since he nulls electricity and resists gun types of attacks.

yup, im right on track now. I really like the grind in these games tbh.

Thanks everyone!

So it seems like Megami Tensei 2 didn't just introduce the basics of what we think of as a typical SMT story today, but it also introduced many of the basic fusion mechanics like triple fusion, elements that are fused by fusing 2 same race demons together which can then be used to rank up or down other demons, and (I believe) special fusions. At the very least I didn't notice any special fusions available in Megami Tensei 1.

RainSD

Neo Member
Having a rough time on with Devil Survivor 2. I'm leaning towards having to start over. I'm not sure where I went wrong since I'm around the same level as the demons.

I'm on the 2nd day getting ready to save Keita, level 9 party is level 10 but I'm being picked off by the demons even if I do some free battles for spells.

Would it be best to restart from the beginning and try again?

Having a rough time on with Devil Survivor 2. I'm leaning towards having to start over. I'm not sure where I went wrong since I'm around the same level as the demons.

I'm on the 2nd day getting ready to save Keita, level 9 party is level 10 but I'm being picked off by the demons even if I do some free battles for spells.

Would it be best to restart from the beginning and try again?

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by starting over that you wouldn't be able to achieve with free battles and changing tactics?

RainSD

Neo Member
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by starting over that you wouldn't be able to achieve with free battles and changing tactics?

You have a point, I just feel like I didn't level myself up correctly so I'm stuck in an infinite loop of dying. I just can't see anyway out of it.

What tactics are you using on the enemy? Are you utilizing racial skills or Leader Skills? (if any are available this early, it's been awhile). Do you have the useful spells learnt by your demons through leveling? Have you cracked all that you can crack at this point in the free battles?

randomkid

So it seems like Megami Tensei 2 didn't just introduce the basics of what we think of as a typical SMT story today, but it also introduced many of the basic fusion mechanics like triple fusion, elements that are fused by fusing 2 same race demons together which can then be used to rank up or down other demons, and (I believe) special fusions. At the very least I didn't notice any special fusions available in Megami Tensei 1.

Yeah, in addition to all the big things that make it feel like the template for everything the main series is today, it also introduced smaller things along those lines, I think it even gets credit for introducing the iconic little battle stick figures?

Such an impressive game! Really hope you stick with it through to the ending(s) (another series first!), I think according to Aeana there are almost no other English-speaking people who managed to beat it.

It took a while but the glorious nocturne soundtrack finally reached me after a few stops over from Japan. So I now have my two favourite SMT soundtracks. Now I need to get the soul hackers soundtrack that has the awesome opening song. Atlus needs to do more soundtracks packaged like the SMT IV one. It is easily my favourite video game soundtrack package.

14uyN.png

RainSD

Neo Member
What tactics are you using on the enemy? Are you utilizing racial skills or Leader Skills? (if any are available this early, it's been awhile). Do you have the useful spells learnt by your demons through leveling? Have you cracked all that you can crack at this point in the free battles?

I separate my team so we don't get surrounded. I get most of the skills and move on depending on what they are. Keeping enough money to buy personas is difficult enough as it is when I'm already having trouble facing off the demons.

Edit: Gonna try a new strategy like you said. Starting over sounds pointless now that I thought about it.

Wow, Megami Tensei 2 has a demon arena. More people really need to consider checking this one out, especially if they played and liked SMT 1 and 2.

BearChair

What is the SMT world's opinion on Devil Survivor 2? I bought the first one on a whim when it was on sale on the eShop, and it really grabbed me. I ended up beating it four times just to see the different story lines and try to unlock more demons.

I just pre-ordered DS2 last night, but I never really heard much about what people think about it.

For anyone that has played them both how does DS2 compare to Overclocked? Is the story as much fun?

Seda

What is the SMT world's opinion on Devil Survivor 2? I bought the first one on a whim when it was on sale on the eShop, and it really grabbed me. I ended up beating it four times just to see the different story lines and try to unlock more demons.

I just pre-ordered DS2 last night, but I never really heard much about what people think about it.

For anyone that has played them both how does DS2 compare to Overclocked? Is the story as much fun?

I've beaten Record Breaker. Well, good news is that structurally, the game is very similar. Main difference is instead of choosing character events to unlock their path, you form 'Social Link'-lites with characters. This will have impact on
who is available for your final party
. There are also more demons to fuse, and dual Skill Cracks are probably the most convenient addition.

The narrative has a little more character focus (despite having more characters). It's less SMT and more Neon Genesis Evangelion though. While there are a little bit of a 'recreate society' philosophy underpinnings, storywise it doesn't feel much like SMT at all, actually.

Personally, I think the narrative is quite dumb, lots of conflicts come to contrived solutions. Still, the wackiness kinda manages to be enjoyable regardless. The second half has a semi clever plot twist.

Voice acting is a bit better too overall, although some characters fall flat. Oh, and the music is so much better

Ourobolus

Banned

It's a pretty good game, but I still can't beat the last boss. He just steamrolls me. I need more demons with better movement skills, because I lose a bunch in the first phase, and then the second phase sucks, and then I have like nothing left when I get to the last phase.

Voice acting is a bit better too overall, although some characters fall flat. Oh, and the music is so much better

That's gotta be an accomplishment because DeSu1:Overclocked is one of my favorite OSTs in the megaten franchise. Its right up there with DDS1 and SMT4 for me.

brinstar

Wow, Megami Tensei 2 has a demon arena. More people really need to consider checking this one out, especially if they played and liked SMT 1 and 2.

I really wish Atlus would let these old games out of the vault in the west. SMT1 on iOS was great, I'd love to see more of that.

That's gotta be an accomplishment because DeSu1:Overclocked is one of my favorite OSTs in the megaten franchise. Its right up there with DDS1 and SMT4 for me.

The music is very different from DeSu1's music. Not nearly as much guitar riffing. I'm in the camp that prefers it to DeSu 1's OST which I did enjoy but it got stale. (Then again, DeSu1 is only one in the series I played through more than once besides Persona 2 IS and Persona 3 (which had different OST options with the PSP versions) and it's the only game I beat over 5 times for all the endings.)

So im playing raidou kuzunoha for the first time and im at end of episode 3
Spoilers

really? Rasputin is the evil summoner? Is using real life famous people a trend in SMT??? Cause I played Persona 2

The music is very different from DeSu1's music. Not nearly as much guitar riffing. I'm in the camp that prefers it to DeSu 1's OST which I did enjoy but it got stale. (Then again, DeSu1 is only one in the series I played through more than once besides Persona 2 IS and Persona 3 (which had different OST options with the PSP versions) and it's the only game I beat over 5 times for all the endings.)

I adore the OST. Its definitely heavy in the guitars, and its a small OST so it gets stale, but man the good stuff is REALLY good.

I've replayed a couple SMT games, but DeSu1 is the only one I've replayed more than once for those endings. Something about the SRPG gameplay makes it so addicting. I've also replayed SMT4 to get neutral and P4G since my save file corrupted.

I thought DS2 had a way better Attack theme and Boss theme.

If the boss theme is better than this then I'll be very impressed.

I adore the OST. Its definitely heavy in the guitars, and its a small OST so it gets stale, but man the good stuff is REALLY good.

I've replayed a couple SMT games, but DeSu1 is the only one I've replayed more than once for those endings. Something about the SRPG gameplay makes it so addicting. I've also replayed SMT4 to get neutral and P4G since my save file corrupted.

If the boss theme is better than this then I'll be very impressed.

The reason that Devil Survivor 2 is able to beat the staleness musicwise is because there's a lot more variety in styles. It makes it more listenable I feel.

This was my favorite map theme in DeSu2 , which I feel really matches the moments you hear it in the game (one particular battle really stands out, which I imagine people who played the game can guess).

Meanwhile this may possibly be my favorite of the battle themes. It's very intimidating and fits well with when you hear it as well. The other major contender is this one, which happens to be a source of some of the guitar riffs of this game. After all, Devil Survivor 2 still has it's share of rocking out.

Seda

The reason that Devil Survivor 2 is able to beat the staleness musicwise is because there's a lot more variety in styles. It makes it more listenable I feel.

This was my favorite map theme in DeSu2 , which I feel really matches the moments you hear it in the game (one particular battle really stands out, which I imagine people who played the game can guess).

Meanwhile this may possibly be my favorite of the battle themes. It's very intimidating and fits well with when you hear it as well. The other major contender is this one, which happens to be a source of some of the guitar riffs of this game. After all, Devil Survivor 2 still has it's share of rocking out.

Yep, a lot more variety in the instrumentation goes a long way. Not just that, but tracks feel very appropriate and fitting most of the time. Still plenty of guitar when there needs to be. Map/battle tracks are just a tad more punchy in general. (You linked my favorite map track too).

I really like this menu theme. (
Bottom YouTube comment is probably the most moving moment in the game to be honest.
)

What do you think of the meguro arranged tracks?

I still really like "Exploration" from DeSu 2.

Refyref

The original DS2's music was done by Kenji Ito, so I'm looking forward to that. The new part's music is by Meguro, and I've got a bit less enthusiasm for that.

Booted up my Strange Journey save file. Was in boss fight with (late game spoiler)
Zelenin
. Lasted on turn and died. Kay...thanks. :(

I'm pretty excited for Record Breaker. You guys in?

I have too many backlog games to spend 50 bucks on a game I already own a good chunk of, but I am considering replaying Devil Survivor 2 vanilla and getting a different ending. Unlike DeSu1, I only got one ending in DeSu2. I'm working on Ys VI though so it's not a high priority.

Letep

I have too many backlog games to spend 50 bucks on a game I already own a good chunk of, but I am considering replaying Devil Survivor 2 vanilla and getting a different ending. Unlike DeSu1, I only got one ending in DeSu2. I'm working on Ys VI though so it's not a high priority.

Wow, this is $50. I didn't realize that.

I'm pretty excited for Record Breaker. You guys in?

HELL YEAH! Loved DeSu1:OC so I'm really looking forward to 2. I've been avoiding SRPGs for a while so the thirst is real.

Pretty excited. I've been holding off on replaying DeSu 2 until RB comes out, and I'm interested to see what they do with the Triangulum route.

Speaking of RB, anyone want to suggest OT titles?

SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Break Record |OT| Slightly better than the anime

Hoy, SMT-GAF. I have a question for you guys. I just beat Digital Devil Saga 1 (fantastic game) and I plan on starting DDS2 soon. Does the PSN version of DDS2 have the same issues that DDS1 has?

Hoy, SMT-GAF. I have a question for you guys. I just beat Digital Devil Saga 1 (fantastic game) and I plan on starting DDS2 soon. Does the PSN version of DDS2 have the same issues that DDS1 has?

From what I hear it has some frame drops like most other PSN SMT games and there are some graphical issues, but I haven't heard of it having any freezing issues like I had for DDS1.

From what I hear it has some frame drops like most other PSN SMT games and there are some graphical issues, but I haven't heard of it having any freezing issues like I had for DDS1.

I was fine with the framerate in DDS1, but the desynced audio was awful. If DDS2 also has that problem I'll probably just have to grab a physical copy.

Top Bottom