• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

AerialAir

Banned
At the Shemyaza battle in Soul Hackers, how did you guys kill that dude?

So, I've played almost every MegaTen game to date, but had never played Soul Hackers and I'm going through it now. I got my main and Nemissa at Level 48 and a LVL45 Orthrus with Makarakarn.

I thought that having Botis, Wicker Man and Kudlak in the front row attacking and Orthrus and Nemissa in the back using Makarakarn and Media would be enough to beat Shemyaza, but he's just way faster than my demons, including Orthrus, so I'm always beaten because he confuses all my Demons and they fly away, plus Makarakarn isn't doing anything.

cj_iwakura

At the Shemyaza battle in Soul Hackers, how did you guys kill that dude?

So, I've played almost every MegaTen game to date, but had never played Soul Hackers and I'm going through it now. I got my main and Nemissa at Level 48 and a LVL45 Orthrus with Makarakarn.

I thought that having Botis, Wicker Man and Kudlak in the front row attacking and Orthrus and Nemissa in the back using Makarakarn and Media would be enough to beat Shemyaza, but he's just way faster than my demons, including Orthrus, so I'm always beaten because he confuses all my Demons and they fly away, plus Makarakarn isn't doing anything.

I don't recall having much trouble with him, TBH. Start exploiting Rakakaja/Tarukaja? It's broken in SH.

Frimaire

I just started DDS 2 and man, just looking at that hex grid for skills makes me giddy.
I'm such a huge sucker for stuff like that...

I just started DDS 2 and man, just looking at that hex grid for skills makes me giddy.
I'm such a huge sucker for stuff like that...

Protip for DDS2: Save during full noise and do the crimson box lottery in the shop repeatedly when it becomes available until you get the Rich Ring. Reset and try again if you have to. Day and night difference in what and how many skills you can afford.

Frimaire

Protip for DDS2: Save during full noise and do the crimson box lottery in the shop repeatedly when it becomes available until you get the Rich Ring. Reset and try again if you have to. Day and night difference in what and how many skills you can afford.
Thanks, I'll try this. I'm assuming the ring just increases the money you get from fights?
I'm only a couple of hours in, but money has started to be a bit of a problem already for mantras...
Did you kill the optional bosses in DDS1? Well, I can understand if you skipped one. ;)
I think I did all the optional bosses I could do in the first playthough...
they unlock stuff or something since I loaded the save data, yeah?

Also, I's been a little while since I played DDS 1.
If I recall correctly, I wanna get a phys character with a good hunt skill, AP Divide, Iron Stomach, and AP Boost to get skills quickly, yeah?

cj_iwakura

Thanks, I'll try this. I'm assuming the ring just increases the money you get from fights?
I'm only a couple of hours in, but money has started to be a bit of a problem already for mantras...

I think I did all the optional bosses I could do in the first playthough...
they unlock stuff or something since I loaded the save data, yeah?

Also, I's been a little while since I played DDS 1.
If I recall correctly, I wanna get a phys character with a good hunt skill, AP Divide, Iron Stomach, and AP Boost to get skills quickly, yeah?

You get rings that give you stat bonuses later on. Yep, that'll do it.

Frimaire

This could be at a lot of points... but I can speculate.
Serph just got stabbed through the fucking gut.
Also, the person who was being built up to be the main villain got capped in the back of the head.
Also, the world is apparently ending...
Shit, I just put my first 100k mantra on Serph, too...

cj_iwakura

Also, the person who was being built up to be the main villain got capped in the back of the head.

Heh.

This was my first ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA Scene in an RPG (there'd been harder individual blows, but not that fusilade of WOW that this one was).

So good. SO GOOD.

Frimaire

Yooo!
Sera gets all of Serphs powers now?
Cool, didn't see that coming.
I assumed he was just gonna miraculously survive and rejoin your party or something.

Frimaire

Sooo... why would I ever want to use
Serph instead of Sera?
He used to be good, but now he's way underlevelled and has like no skills,
I guess being able to choose stat distribution would be nice?
Also wow, real Serph is an asshole...

jonjonaug

Sooo... why would I ever want to use
Serph instead of Sera?
He used to be good, but now he's way underlevelled and has like no skills,
I guess being able to choose stat distribution would be nice?
Also wow, real Serph is an asshole...

Choice of stat distribution, and you could always have him learn different skills than Sera.

jonjonaug

So basically just slap mutual karma on him and have him cheer everyone else on from the sidelines?

If you want, sure. I usually use Sera and Serph at once, sometimes I swap them out for each other, but it's a good idea to have them learn different skills to cover more strengths/weaknesses.

Frimaire

Hey, so in DDS2 I'm at the end(?) of the
Airport level.
Gale says there's no tunring back once I go into the hangar.
Is that just like another "strong presence" warning or is this seriously a point of no return.
Is there anything I can miss permanently if I go further?

jonjonaug

Hey, so in DDS2 I'm at the end(?) of the
Airport level.
Gale says there's no tunring back once I go into the hangar.
Is that just like another "strong presence" warning or is this seriously a point of no return.
Is there anything I can miss permanently if I go further?

It's seriously the point of no return. There are optional battles against the Archangels that you'll miss out on if you go ahead.

cj_iwakura

Got the SMTIV art book. Beyond my wildest expectations. Amazing art design. A lot of detail was cut due to the hardware. I hope that never happens again.

Got the SMTIV art book. Beyond my wildest expectations. Amazing art design. A lot of detail was cut due to the hardware. I hope that never happens again.

Would love to own it.
That's my daily reminder of how much it sucks to be broke.

I really want to replay DDS, it's been so long, but finding the time is impossible.
I started Trails of Cold Steel in March and am not even halfway through... I need to get CS2 on Vita or I'll never be done with it.

Speaking of handhelds, I'm currently playing SJ, one of the very few SMT games I hadn't played yet. Never owned a DS but bought a 3DS for all the SMT games it got and now I'm trying to beat SJ before Apocalypse is out (god only knows when that will be in Europe).
It's been smooth sailing but today I got to the boss of the fourth area and for the first time I'll be forced to stop and seriously look at my demons and equipment.
I was expecting a feeling of isolation similar to Nocturne but you're always interacting with crew members and can return to the ship at any time.
It's a lot closer to SMTIV than Nocturne in that regard.
Loving the game of course, it's a shame the dungeons look so rough but what can you do.

I also recently revisited P2IS through the PSP version which I hadn't played yet and I realized how much I love it, it clicked with me in a way it hadn't previously, I think the characters and the story are fantastic, it just all came together for me.

I don't recall having much trouble with him, TBH. Start exploiting Rakakaja/Tarukaja? It's broken in SH.

Yeah, stat increases/decreases stack up to 4 times and really break the game.

Frimaire

yoooooOOOOOO!
Seraph
is the fucking Strong!
Does she seriously inherit all skills and the best stats from both characters!?
She's so good!

daevious

yoooooOOOOOO!
Seraph
is the fucking Strong!
Does she seriously inherit all skills and the best stats from both characters!?
She's so good!

This is also why you try and keep up with teaching Serph skills, because it makes Seraph that extra touch more overpowered.

Frimaire

This is also why you try and keep up with teaching Serph skills, because it makes Seraph that extra touch more overpowered.

Yeah, thanks.
I assume it just takes the highest stat between the two characters and uses that one, yeah?
It's a good thing I started leveling Serph's lower stats once I got him back, now he can cover for Sera's weaknesses.
Edit: Also, is it cool if I just drop all of my Data on
Seraph
?

I've been replaying SMT4, hoping I can clear the Neutral ending before Apocalypse is out. I just
rescued the "ambassadors"
in Shinjuku park. Early Game + Master Mode + my insistence on my beloved High Luck build made things pretty tough at first, but I think I'm finally hitting that point in the game where all the freedom you have breaks any difficulty the game has into little pieces.

I have the Hawthorne Spear (sleep chance), attack all gun with Virus Rounds and Stun Needles to take advantage of my high status and crit procs, as well as the MP Party Recovery app so I can be more liberal with my skills. I even have Trafuri to negate the 0% escape chance that you have on Master Mode. The only thing I'm really missing is agility down via Sukunda/Fog Breath/Etc. and the Skull Rounds for KO chances (which happens a LOT with a Luck focus). Once I have those I don't see things being much different from my Normal mode run.

It's great to dive back into this game though. SMT4 still has my favorite rendition of Tokyo in an SMT game so far, both in terms of the environment and the citizens. You really feel like you're in the midst of a society trying to keep a grasp on the world even after it's been blasted apart.

daevious

Yeah, thanks.
I assume it just takes the highest stat between the two characters and uses that one, yeah?
It's a good thing I started leveling Serph's lower stats once I got him back, now he can cover for Sera's weaknesses.
Edit: Also, is it cool if I just drop all of my Data on
Seraph
?

The highest stats for Serph and Sera transfer to Seraph, you're correct there.

It shouldn't matter who you give the data too, although I wouldn't neglect the others if you're intending to go after the optional bosses.

Rutger

Banned
It's great to dive back into this game though. SMT4 still has my favorite rendition of Tokyo in an SMT game so far, both in terms of the environment and the citizens. You really feel like you're in the midst of a society trying to keep a grasp on the world even after it's been blasted apart.

I only have experience with the three localized mainline games, but SMT4's world was my favorite as well so far. It's atmosphere was perfect for a post-apocalyptic world, which is something SJ couldn't do because of its setting(but I still loved what it did), and Nocturne failed to do since only a small handful of NPCs even knew about the old Tokyo(which ended up making me feel detached from the world).

I've been replaying SMT4, hoping I can clear the Neutral ending before Apocalypse is out. I just
rescued the "ambassadors"
in Shinjuku park. Early Game + Master Mode + my insistence on my beloved High Luck build made things pretty tough at first, but I think I'm finally hitting that point in the game where all the freedom you have breaks any difficulty the game has into little pieces.

I have the Hawthorne Spear (sleep chance), attack all gun with Virus Rounds and Stun Needles to take advantage of my high status and crit procs, as well as the MP Party Recovery app so I can be more liberal with my skills. I even have Trafuri to negate the 0% escape chance that you have on Master Mode. The only thing I'm really missing is agility down via Sukunda/Fog Breath/Etc. and the Skull Rounds for KO chances (which happens a LOT with a Luck focus). Once I have those I don't see things being much different from my Normal mode run.

I only have experience with the three localized mainline games, but SMT4's world was my favorite as well so far. It's atmosphere was perfect for a post-apocalyptic world, which is something SJ couldn't do because of its setting(but I still loved what it did), and Nocturne failed to do since only a small handful of NPCs even knew about the old Tokyo(which ended up making me feel detached from the world).

And that soundtrack. You can't talk about SMTIV without mentioning it.

FluxWaveZ

I've actually picked SMT IV back up after a 3-year hiatus. I was loving the game until it all grinded to a halt with what the Neutral ending required me to do. I was hastily reminded of why I dropped it after picking it back up. I don't live in Japan and I'm not familiar with Tokyo; this game is seemingly built around the player knowing this, or intentionally making them wonder where they have to go.

After looking some stuff up, two things I wish I knew way earlier when it comes to navigation:

The "Estoma Sword" skill. I'm not a MegaTen newbie, so I know what estoma is, and that I would want it badly. I thought that I would have stumbled upon it naturally but, as it so happens, SMT IV made it a semi-rare skill (despite the intense overworld encounter rate). I had to fuse a Tam Lin just for this thing.

There's a freaking air ship!? Hidden within the depths of an obscure side quest is this crucial tool. It's not as awesome as it could be because of the specific drop points, but this is yet another thing I learned by searching online for how to tackle the Neutral route madness.

Finally did what I needed to to progress further into the Neutral route, though I still need to look stuff up a lot more than I'd like to because this game likes to be vague/unhelpful.

Picking SMT IV back up has reminded me just how much I loved this game (and continue to do so, despite the Neutral route frustrations), and how much I can't wait for Apocalypse. I wish almighty and 340+ magic wasn't as seemingly busted as it is, but that's the way I leveled my character, so I'm not gonna abandon that now.

Top Bottom