• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Hylian7

Looking through the Fate profiles in DS2, these characters are ridiculously young. The high school students are not surprising, but Yamato is only 17?! Really? He looks older than that.

Hinako is only 19, and also seems older than that. Makoto is the oldest character and she is only 26. I thought Otome would be older than her for sure, but she is only 24.

daevious

Looking through the Fate profiles in DS2, these characters are ridiculously young. The high school students are not surprising, but Yamato is only 17?! Really? He looks older than that.

Yamato's entire character hinges on him being absurdly young, because he's essentially a trained sociopath due of his upbringing.

Labadal

Started Digital Devil Saga today and I think I will end up enjoying this more than the main series. The mood, design and music are so for really nice. I'm still only an hour and a half in, but combat also seems like it could be fun.

I'm not sure how I should develop Serph, so right now, I am trying to put points in everything, with some extra in strength. I just unlocked mantras and the saved and quit for today. I can't wait to delve deeper and then go on to play the sequel.

Weiss

Banned
Replaying Soul Hackers (because SMT4F and P5 are taking their sweet ass time), and I think one of the more disappointing aspects of it is that Paradigm X feels underutilized. The VR dungeons like the museum and the mansion don't really feel like something that could only happen in a constructed fantasy world.

NeonZ

It's kind of weird how the more you progress through the story, the more Paradise X feels like it's becoming smaller, with less npcs and events there and most of the action taking place in the real world. But I guess the game is fairly small overall compared to other SMT-related games, so there's no way they could develop both the real and virtual worlds without shafting one of them, aside from just making Soul Hackers overall bigger.

Replaying Soul Hackers (because SMT4F and P5 are taking their sweet ass time), and I think one of the more disappointing aspects of it is that Paradigm X feels underutilized. The VR dungeons like the museum and the mansion don't really feel like something that could only happen in a constructed fantasy world.

I asked this on the previous page but didn't get an answer, main incentives for NG+ are the alternate ending and the Raidou fight right?
I'm considering replaying it as well, love that game.
It's kinda weird how much the SMT games resonate with me lol, regardless of it being mainline or a spin-off, I'm instantly hooked when I touch one. Even with the differences between each game, the combination of art direction, atmosphere, music, writing and gameplay always puts these games in a special place in my mind that very rarely other games can reach.

daevious

I asked this on the previous page but didn't get an answer, main incentives for NG+ are the alternate ending and the Raidou fight right?
I'm considering replaying it as well, love that game.
It's kinda weird how much the SMT games resonate with me lol, regardless of it being mainline or a spin-off, I'm instantly hooked when I touch one. Even with the differences between each game, the combination of art direction, atmosphere, music, writing and gameplay always puts these games in a special place in my mind that very rarely other games can reach.

There are few games that can be considered Urban Fantasy and even among that genre SMT's a really unique gem of a series.

spiritfox

There are few games that can be considered Urban Fantasy and even among that genre SMT's a really unique gem of a series.

I think the genre has become more popular since Persona. A lot of Japanese games with similar styles coming out, even if it's still kinda niche.

Hylian7

Atlus was really making me nervous before they announced Apocalypse today.

The name change is cool, and article about it was interesting.

Capra

Uh, send me a few thousand yen and I'll bring them home? :p
Pics on my Twitter. I'll post them here when I get home, but they're NSFW.

Oh wow I skipped over the second half of your comment haha. I've been looking for some kind of SMT equivalent of something like Pokemon Tabletop United to use for an RPG group for a while. Didn't know there was an officially-licensed TRPG and I got really excited for a second.

In any case that's really cool!

SMTIV spoilers
trying to go Neutral, just sided with Walter about whether to kill Lilith or not. How do I get to this Camp Ichigaya, and if I want to go Neutral Ending, how much time do I have left?

cj_iwakura

Haven't sorted everything yet, but here's 0some of the rarities I found in Tokyo:

CgFF3MyUIAQOUks.jpg

CgALJkyW8AAdPpV.jpg

CgFIOq6UAAAAx1Z.jpg
Mandarake Nakano had the GBA SMTII, complete. It was like $80.

If anything blew my mind, it was this:
(the tabletop books)

(This one's NSFW)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgAJk3HWEAAAnMr.jpg

Also, the Raidou/Nocturne chronicle version is apparently very rare, or at least expensive. Everyone had it for no less than 8000Y.

Amazon had Strange Journey for 13£ a while back, I didn't buy it right away because I didn't want it to enter last month's cc balance and ended up missing it. Damn it, I really regret it now, I doubt I'll ever find it at that price again, even used.

Amazon had Strange Journey for 13£ a while back, I didn't buy it right away because I didn't want it to enter last month's cc balance and ended up missing it. Damn it, I really regret it now, I doubt I'll ever find it at that price again, even used.

Is it so rare? I found a used one in an EB for $10 and bought it for a friend of mine because I thought I'd never see that price again. Then I saw another used one for $10 like a month later. This was like a year or two ago, though.

Is it so rare? I found a used one in an EB for $10 and bought it for a friend of mine because I thought I'd never see that price again. Then I saw another used one for $10 like a month later. This was like a year or two ago, though.

That's in the US though. It's way harder to find cheap in Yurop.

Labadal

I was grinding up my mantra when I died in a regular encounter. My entire party got ambushed, charmed and hit for crits and it was insane. Smashed my controller but it still works. Wow, I haven't had a gaming related rage fit in quite some time.

Labadal

Boy, you think that's bad, go meet an old friend of mine in the Solids' basement...
It was in the Solids' Citadel where this happened. I was grinding the Void Expel mantra for a boss fight that I had lost to on my first try.

I can imagine that more fun stuff awaits me here in the future.

In preparation for Shin Megami Tensei 4 apocalypse, I recently restarted the original game. This time I plan to play on hard mode and get the neutral ending (I only got the law ending last time). I think I'm going to play similar to how I did last time with a major focus on luck and a minor focused on agility. I had fun with this build in the end, and I'm curious to see how it would hold up on hard mode.

Haven't sorted everything yet, but here's 0some of the rarities I found in Tokyo:

Mandarake Nakano had the GBA SMTII, complete. It was like $80.

If anything blew my mind, it was this:

(the tabletop books)

(This one's NSFW)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgAJk3HWEAAAnMr.jpg

Also, the Raidou/Nocturne chronicle version is apparently very rare, or at least expensive. Everyone had it for no less than 8000Y.

Both SMT ports for the GBA are quite expensive for no apparent reason, they show up consistently online. I managed to buy both at once and in like new condition for a reasonable price, but it was online, I think it would be difficult to get them cheaper in stores.

The tabletop books are interesting, some of them can go for a lot depending on condition. Since I´m not interested in the card games I haven´t kept up with prices.

Yes, Raidou+ (which comes with Nocturne Chronicles version) is quite expensive and I imagine it will remain so, used copies go for average 8k-10k and sealed one can as far as 16kyen. It is a really nice boxset though, I´d recommend getting it despite the cost.

The nocturne LE you posted is a good deal provided it is complete. Mine is sealed so I can´t comment on the terminal replica´s quality but going from most comments I´ve seen it is good.

cj_iwakura

Both SMT ports for the GBA are quite expensive for no apparent reason, they show up consistently online. I managed to buy both at once and in like new condition for a reasonable price, but it was online, I think it would be difficult to get them cheaper in stores.

The tabletop books are interesting, some of them can go for a lot depending on condition. Since I´m not interested in the card games I haven´t kept up with prices.

Yes, Raidou+ (which comes with Nocturne Chronicles version) is quite expensive and I imagine it will remain so, used copies go for average 8k-10k and sealed one can as far as 16kyen. It is a really nice boxset though, I´d recommend getting it despite the cost.

The nocturne LE you posted is a good deal provided it is complete. Mine is sealed so I can´t comment on the terminal replica´s quality but going from most comments I´ve seen it is good.

It looked complete, but I sadly didn't have the luggage room. Probably the biggest regret I had among things I didn't buy. The FSR book is up there, but I just could not justify spending $100 on that.

The SMTII GBA I saw really wasn't that expensive. Might have been worth getting if it wouldn't have just been a collectible.

I've decided that my stat growth in my Master mode Neutral run of SMT4 will be a 60% Luck, 20% Agility, and 6.66% percent Str, Tec, and Mag. Aka 3 points in Luck, one in Agility, and 1 point alternating in Strength, Tec, and Magic. I'm just getting to Matador and I have a Bone Sword for starting my adventure of focusing on crits and status procs with multi-hit and status ailment weapons.

Anyone here play Strange Journey through emulation?
Does it work well? Any visual improvements of note? Which emu did you use?
I've done a lot of PS1&2 emulation but never DS, I'm assuming it's considered alright if you own the game.

Also, can't beat SMTIV's last dlc with my magic build. Looks like I need pierce but none of my demons have it and looking at fusion tables I get the impression that getting there is expensive and I don't feel like grinding for money.
I'll have to keep this in mind when I decide to replay it.

Laputa_94

Having recently picked up the P3, 4, and Nocturne soundtracks I have gotten the desire to play SMT again. Out of the 10 or so I had readily available, I decided to give SMT 1 a shot. I was expecting it to be unplayable, but so far its been pretty manageable. I'm playing it with a guide readily available, do you guys have any advice to help me on my journey?

daevious

Having recently picked up the P3, 4, and Nocturne soundtracks I have gotten the desire to play SMT again. Out of the 10 or so I had readily available, I decided to give SMT 1 a shot. I was expecting it to be unplayable, but so far its been pretty manageable. I'm playing it with a guide readily available, do you guys have any advice to help me on my journey?

Buy charm bullets and you can effortlessly break the game in half.

If that's too much, just make sure you also have a fusion chart on hand as well, especially if you're going chaos route.

cj_iwakura

The final dungeon is hell. Which version are you playing? SFC I assume.

Laputa_94

Buy charm bullets and you can effortlessly break the game in half.

If that's too much, just make sure you also have a fusion chart on hand as well, especially if you're going chaos route.

Thanks for the advice I'll keep that in mind, I don't think I be aiming for a distinct route for this one I'll just go with the flow.

The final dungeon is hell. Which version are you playing? SFC I assume.

Yeah, I don't own anything on ios so I couldn't get the official english release.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I don't own anything on ios so I couldn't get the official english release.

Don't feel bad. The official one is a janky mess compared to SFC. I supported it, but SFC really is the best way to play it.

Bullets are broken. Don't be afraid to savestate your way through the final dungeon. It's a fricking nightmare. Dead ends everywhere.

Laputa_94

Don't feel bad. The official one is a janky mess compared to SFC. I supported it, but SFC really is the best way to play it.

Bullets are broken. Don't be afraid to savestate your way through the final dungeon. It's a fricking nightmare. Dead ends everywhere.

Don't worry I already have save and load mapped to my controller.

Capra

The final dungeon really is insane, but here's a trick I stumbled upon during my recent playthrough: Fuse a Throne. You can get their "components" from one of the lower floors and they come with Estoma. The way Estoma seems to work in SMT1 is that it stays in effect while you remain inside the dungeon you cast it instead of resetting on a New Moon. Since the final dungeon is one massive indoor maze, you never have to worry about encounters given you're strong enough.

After spending the entire game tripping over endless mobs every 2 steps, finding out I could just breeze through the last stretch was amazing.

Top Bottom