• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Verder

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

Ccg-FyIUcAAqznt.jpg:orig

Pretty cool as final DLC for Final.

YOOOOO HOLD ME.
Is this legit?

Edit-just saw the YouTube link. I don't even know anymore lol.

NeonZ

Ooooooh I see.

Question on SMTIV which I'm playing for the first time:

What's so special about arriving in Tokyo in 4, wasn't it obvious that it would happen if it's such a pattern that it kept SJ from getting a number? Just got to the "Excavation workers" floor of Naraku, it isn't too weird though the way the characters react to finding a gun was interesting.

Marketing material revealed from the start that Tokyo was in the game somehow, but it never made the connection between Tokyo and Mikado clear. Usually Tokyo is just there from the start, in the beginning, rather than being a goal to be reached.

Soulhouf

Wait what, that happens in SJ too?

Holy shit lol.

Tagged since it sounds spoilery.

Derp. I meant in SMT4 sorry >_>

Ooooooh I see.

Question on SMTIV which I'm playing for the first time:

What's so special about arriving in Tokyo in 4, wasn't it obvious that it would happen if it's such a pattern that it kept SJ from getting a number? Just got to the "Excavation workers" floor of Naraku, it isn't too weird though the way the characters react to finding a gun was interesting.

It's special because it was so well and carefully prepared and when it happens you reach the climax with the awesome music in the background.
They knew most of the players were waiting for the moment you arrive in Tokyo so they made their best and it was amazing.

Edit:
Here is a post by randomkid that describe perfectly my feeling about entring Tokyo in SMT4:

Here is a rambly little essay about the moment you reach Tokyo. I want to take the time to spell out exactly how masterfully the developers crafted this moment, where music, mechanics, progression and storytelling synchronize perfectly into a kind of symphony of design. Jeremy Parish has already described in detail the aesthetic and mechanical excellence of the game’s first boss, a true M____R gatekeeper in the SMT3 sense. But what comes immediately after in the Tokyo moment is just as carefully designed.

To set the stage, recall that you have descended to the depths of the game’s most dangerous and difficult dungeon, and at the very bottom you discover
the fun inversion that you are actually at the very top. Hell is heaven, in Mikado you are crypt robbers, but in Tokyo you are angels
. It's the first major plot revelation, and the game is set up to provide a suitable level of impact.

The staid and boring medieval environment of every other RPG gives away to the eerie modern setting that is the series trademark. The Tokyo moment is a gamechanger, which is to say that the the game is literally changed. Mechanically, you obtain guns for the first time, and visually, the change in setting is obvious.

After the cramped drabness of Naraku caves and hallways, the camera so tight as to be deliberately claustrophobic, you reach the bottom and the game finally opens. The drudgery and cliche lameness of the previous Mikado hours have been extinguished: from low budget menu traversal to breathtaking 3d town design (skyscrapers piercing crimson ash clouds!) and a high concept world map based on real life Tokyo. Parish’s review touches on very interesting ideas regarding how SMT4’s Mikado section embodies the downscaled streamlined compromises of the modern handheld RPG, while Tokyo represents the RPG as we remember it, and I think this is absolutely the right take. Lots of RPGs build to the moment where the game finally opens up, but I don’t think there are very many that do so as adroitly and as dramatically as SMT4. From the mechanics and progression systems to the beats in the story, SMT4 stands out.

And the music! An incredibly stark contrast from Mikado, where the Trauma Team composer does competent medieval 101 tracks, suddenly you're bowled over by Tokyo’s otherworldly cyberpunk majesty. You reach the terminal for the first time, and the Hindi incantation instantly sends chills, a recollection of Digital Devil Saga’s cyber-Hinduism, paired with glorious glittering Nocturne visuals as you transport, and eventually a traditional Shin Megami Tensei composition to ground the game in its history.

And finally, the world map theme. Crafted for maximum awesomeness, the nostalgia is almost painful, a wailing guitar that transcends the inherent cheese to seemingly contain all the anguish and hope for a troubled genre, those plunking strings a sonically perfect elegy to what might have been had Japan’s stars more readily aligned with the West’s this past generation. That RPG you remember from your youth, captured here in the classiest of ways, somehow evoking sighs even from those of us who never bought into the decline narrative. I think what I’m saying is that the Tokyo moment felt weighty and weirdly emotional, I’m still processing it, and I can’t stop thinking about it.

Eh, the only time Atlus USA has actually announced something in a direct was the EU release of SMT IV. It'll be a random tweet/press release at some point.

Golnei

It should have been obvious, but I actually had no idea Kaneko designed Inhert for Zone of the Enders until now.

Also...

Kaneko: I think I had an awareness of him, yes. It’s not something that happened all at once with some specific game. It’s more like, as Kojima released more and more works, I naturally took notice. As a general rule, in the game industry they don’t push creators’ names to the front the way they do in the movie industry with famous directors. In spite of this, Kojima followed his creative spirit, and while other companies would probably have erased his name, Konami put it out there: “Directed by Hideo Kojima.” That was extremely fresh and new at the time, and how I thought things should be. As for me, my approach differs from Kojima, but we share that same vision, so our sensibilities may be very similar.

With all the other collaborators who seem to be gravitating around Kojima Productions, it'd be interesting to see Kaneko involved in some respect...

SMT4 impressions

Just reached Ueno. Great game, loving the combat- especially Skill Whisper. Medusa was maddening, but in a good way- I tried many things from spamming Rakunda to trying to have a healer to having Zan(ma) on all four of my demons. Used some amazing demons (Makara with like 3 different elementals for example, also Napaea (RIP)) to have demons with enough HP, MP and level to face her. I got very close a few times, and her "look into my eyes, see I'm sincere" trick was very clever and felt great to see through it. Amazing idea to have dialogue with the boss affect stats.

OST as great all around. Enjoying the characters waaaaay more than I thought I would and the story is better than expected as well. Thematically, that contrast between Naraku and the Sky Tower is great. That transition from "grave diggers to angels" was very well done.

edit:

Definitely buying Strange Journey down the line, since what I watched of it was amazing as well though in a different enough way. The cyberpunk hasn't gripped me too much yet (I do like it but I like it as much as Mikado which I thought would be boring compared to the cyberpunk) and the map isn't TOO bad. Demon design is pretty good. Graphics, as with most 3DS games, is utterly abhorrent except for the demon sprites unless you have 3D on. Press Turn is great too. Loving how I need to try out various tactics and demons.

Wanting to do a new neutral play through of SMT IV. I've gotten all endings. What do you guys suggest as new game plus carryovers that would still offer some challenges?

Soulhouf

Wanting to do a new neutral play through of SMT IV. I've gotten all endings. What do you guys suggest as new game plus carryovers that would still offer some challenges?

New Life + Hard mode.
The beginning will be challenging but whatever you do the game will get much easier later on.

SMT4
So how exactly do I trigger the Peillediah quest in the Ueno pond? I know where the boss is and whatnot but I have no idea how to get the quest or how to proceed in the game after reaching Ueno. Couldn't find the Hunter Association. What do I do?

Hylian7

SMT4
So how exactly do I trigger the Peillediah quest in the Ueno pond? I know where the boss is and whatnot but I have no idea how to get the quest or how to proceed in the game after reaching Ueno. Couldn't find the Hunter Association. What do I do?
Go to the underground area. Hunter Assassination is the big red and white door with the soldier face on it. The quest should be there.

Go to the underground area. Hunter Assassination is the big red and white door with the soldier face on it. The quest should be there.

Is it that bar? I asked for quests there but I can't find any mention of the pond whatsoever in the quests I received.

Are signs good for Final getting at least a US localization or is it just too early days? Im debating importing a US NN3DS. If i could understand a lick of japanese id import one of theirs but alas, i do not.

Edit: I'd probably keep all my purchases on it to eShop only. There are a few other games like Fire Emblem and Bravely Default etc I'd like to get but they're either UK/EU localized or getting it so SMTIV Final would be the only potential one that wouldn't.

So I finally beat P4G and decided I should get into the SMT series as a whole and picked up a few of the games from a pawn shop. One of the games I got was Devil Survivor 2 RB and unfortunately it was the cart only. Would any of you be willing to point me in the direction of a scan of the NA box art? I hate having a blank case on my shelf.

Also, out of DDS1, SMT3, SMT4 and DS2, which should I play first?

jonjonaug

So I finally beat P4G and decided I should get into the SMT series as a whole and picked up a few of the games from a pawn shop. One of the games I got was Devil Survivor 2 RB and unfortunately it was the cart only. Would any of you be willing to point me in the direction of a scan of the NA box art? I hate having a blank case on my shelf.

They're all good. Personally I'd recommend Nocturne first.

SMT3: The first game with the press turn system also used in SMT4 and DDS1, but the implementation never changes much so you that doesn't really matter. All three of DDS/SMT3/SMT4 exude "cool", but Nocturne is the coolest. Fusion skill inheritance is random, so in order to fuse the "perfect" demon you need to sample the fusion a bunch of times until you can confirm the combination of skills that you want (or run out of patience and settle for a near-optimal fusion). Can be quite difficult, but mostly fair outside of some instant death move BS, and it's entirely possible to clear the game on Hard mode without consulting any sort of guides. In terms of atmosphere and combat it's the best turn based JRPG from the PS2 era and a contender for "best JRPG of all time". The story itself is kind of sparse, but what's there is pretty powerful. There's more cutscenes than most people give the game credit for, but still not too much.

DDS: More story focused than SMT3/4, with tons of cutscenes and lots of character development. Some parts of the game are actually more difficult than Nocturne. Instead of demon fusion you build characters by buying skill sets and leveling them, which unlocks further skill sets on that character. You can also swap out learnt skills at any time, no need to forget previous skills like in SMT3/4 or Persona. In terms of story quality it's my personal favorite JRPG, the characters are great and there's lots of memorable events. The atmosphere is almost as brilliant as Nocturne. DDS can also be quite a difficult game.

SMT4: The easiest to pick up and play and the easiest game out of all of those. The beginning of the game is quite difficult to the point of being unfair, but once you have a few levels under your belt and a full party of demons the game becomes much easier and doesn't really pick up in difficulty again outside of one or two spikes. Dungeons are easier to navigate compared to the ones in Nocturne and DDS, but are also kinda boring outside of a few towards the end of the game. While the battle system is similar to Nocturne and DDS, there's some changes to some gameplay elements. You can save anywhere and fuse demons at any time.

Devil Survivor 2: One of my least liked SMT games. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not as good as the others. Lacks that "cool" factor compared to mainline SMT, DDS, the Devil Summoner games, or even Devil Survivor 1. The characters are mostly pretty cliche anime/light novel types, although the voice acting in the 3DS version is surprisingly some of Atlus' best despite the lack of quality in the scenario. Most fights aren't too difficult, but bosses all have some gimmick to them and some are pretty tough while being very fun to fight. There are multiple endings, and the game encourages multiple playthroughs by awarding you "points" for accomplishing certain things during the game, which can then be used to unlock various NG+ elements (bonus bosses, carrying over demons/money, removing XP scaling so that you never have to grind, etc.). In this game you obtain demons by buying them with cash and fusing them, while you can place skills on characters by defeating enemies that have that skill.

They're all good. Personally I'd recommend Nocturne first.

SMT3: The first game with the press turn system also used in SMT4 and DDS1, but the implementation never changes much so you that doesn't really matter. All three of DDS/SMT3/SMT4 exude "cool", but Nocturne is the coolest. Fusion skill inheritance is random, so in order to fuse the "perfect" demon you need to sample the fusion a bunch of times until you can confirm the combination of skills that you want (or run out of patience and settle for a near-optimal fusion). Can be quite difficult, but mostly fair outside of some instant death move BS, and it's entirely possible to clear the game on Hard mode without consulting any sort of guides. In terms of atmosphere and combat it's the best turn based JRPG from the PS2 era and a contender for "best JRPG of all time". The story itself is kind of sparse, but what's there is pretty powerful. There's more cutscenes than most people give the game credit for, but still not too much.

DDS: More story focused than SMT3/4, with tons of cutscenes and lots of character development. Some parts of the game are actually more difficult than Nocturne. Instead of demon fusion you build characters by buying skill sets and leveling them, which unlocks further skill sets on that character. You can also swap out learnt skills at any time, no need to forget previous skills like in SMT3/4 or Persona. In terms of story quality it's my personal favorite JRPG, the characters are great and there's lots of memorable events. The atmosphere is almost as brilliant as Nocturne. DDS can also be quite a difficult game.

SMT4: The easiest to pick up and play and the easiest game out of all of those. The beginning of the game is quite difficult to the point of being unfair, but once you have a few levels under your belt and a full party of demons the game becomes much easier and doesn't really pick up in difficulty again outside of one or two spikes. Dungeons are easier to navigate compared to the ones in Nocturne and DDS, but are also kinda boring outside of a few towards the end of the game. While the battle system is similar to Nocturne and DDS, there's some changes to some gameplay elements. You can save anywhere and fuse demons at any time.

Devil Survivor 2: One of my least liked SMT games. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not as good as the others. Lacks that "cool" factor compared to mainline SMT, DDS, the Devil Summoner games, or even Devil Survivor 1. The characters are mostly pretty cliche anime/light novel types, although the voice acting in the 3DS version is surprisingly some of Atlus' best despite the lack of quality in the scenario. Most fights aren't too difficult, but bosses all have some gimmick to them and some are pretty tough while being very fun to fight. There are multiple endings, and the game encourages multiple playthroughs by awarding you "points" for accomplishing certain things during the game, which can then be used to unlock various NG+ elements (bonus bosses, carrying over demons/money, removing XP scaling so that you never have to grind, etc.). In this game you obtain demons by buying them with cash and fusing them, while you can place skills on characters by defeating enemies that have that skill.

Thanks for the rundown! I think I'll start with SMT4 to ease myself in and then go on to Nocturne after I have that experience.

How are the Raidou games? I've though about picking them up next.

Hylian7

81VSAAO-DkL._SX425_.jpg

Highest resolution I could find of it.

I pretty much agree on what the above poster said. I have a few things to add to it though.

First of all, be prepared for a different type of game than what P4G was. SMT games are usually pretty challenging, and you have to learn the mechanics or you won't get far. That said, the games you picked up all are Nocturne and after, which was a point in the series when a lot of mechanics deemed superfluous were cut and new more refined mechanics were added. Biggest of which would be the fact that these games only have one form of currency. SMT games pre-Nocturne had two currency forms: Yen/Macca/whatever and Magnetite. Magnetite was required to summon demons and keep them summoned, it would deplete as you walked around with them summoned. If you didn't have enough to keep the demons summoned, then the demons would take damage as you walk. This mechanic could be kind of irritating, so it was removed.

In general - In the games you mentioned other than DS2, prepare to face instant death spells. Now at first you might think that seems broken, especially since you can get them too. However this ties back to the weakness system that is present throughout the whole series. If you have a dark instant death spell (Mudo, or some form of that), and the enemy is resistant against Dark, then it's extremely unlikely to work on them. If they are weak to Dark, then chances are it will work on them. These spells don't usually work on bosses, but bosses will use them, so be prepared for that. You can deal with them by either having a party that resists/reflects/nullifies whatever insta-death spell they are using, or (depending on which game) can use some defensive magic such as Makarakarn (reflection).

With few exceptions, this should be your priority on what to change to win a difficult battle: Demons > Buff/Debuffs > Protagonist equipment (sword, armor, Magatama, whatever) > level grinding.

You should rarely every have to get to the point where level grinding is the answer. There is almost always a way before that.

Spell names are pretty much the same as Persona, so that should carry over.

SMT3: Nocturne - Can be quite a challenge. I think the minimalist story is the best part of it, and it in a way takes more a "Dark Souls" approach (as much as I despise comparing every game to Dark Souls) where the story is more subtle, but totally there if you think about it. Nocturne has the best atmosphere in the entire series, and in my opinion, one of the best storylines. Gameplay-wise, one thing to keep in mind that's different from those other games is that if the protagonist ever dies in battle, that's it, game over. This was changed to not be the case in most later games (I think the original P4 kept it, I can't remember). Enjoy it, this is one of my favorite games of all time.

DDS1 - I can't speak too much about this one, as I have to play this one and it's sequel still. (I really need to get on that some day) You'll probably want DDS2 soon after though, because basically DDS1 and 2 are pretty much one game split in half.

SMT4 - Like the above poster mentioned, it's pretty difficult early on, but things change and options open up when you reach a certain point. You'll know it when you get there. I won't ruin the surprise for you (although you might have some idea, but some aspects of it will still be a surprise), but the buildup at the beginning is executed extremely well. There is an alignment lock in this one, it hits at a certain point later on in the game. Being as vague as possible, there is some point where you go to another world, and when you come back, that's the alignment lock. You can always check on your alignment at bars by asking the man that's at all of them.

DS2 - People CAN actually die permanently, just remember that. If you know you have to do a thing to save someone, just do it as soon as you can, don't delay. On Day 3, if you have a magic build on your protagonist, there are some skills you can crack from an enemy that's optional to defeat that are extremely useful to have that early in the game. It does make things a bit easier, but it's extremely useful if you can kill the certain enemy. Physical builds are viable, but honestly from what I have seen (finished the game once, and I'm on the Triangulum), magic is the way to go on the protagonist. Atmosphere in this one is not as cool as DS1, and I highly recommend picking that one up too if you can find it. Both games are not in the same universe though, so you aren't missing any story information by skipping DS1.

I forgot where I was up to in SMTIV. Turned on the ol' 3DS and my save file was 52 hours lol. Quest is "The True Paradise", it's telling me to go to Camp Ichigaya. How much longer do I have?

Hylian7

I forgot where I was up to in SMTIV. Turned on the ol' 3DS and my save file was 52 hours lol. Quest is "The True Paradise", it's telling me to go to Camp Ichigaya. How much longer do I have?
If neutral, a long time, if not, not too much, maybe 10 hours?

If neutral, a long time, if not, not too much, maybe 10 hours?

Cheers. I think I'm Neutral-aligned at the moment but not really sure. This game is crazy long.

(Ok I'm lying, it's not that long, I just spend about 10 hours pissing about trying to find where I'm supposed to go all the time)

cj_iwakura

Thanks for the rundown! I think I'll start with SMT4 to ease myself in and then go on to Nocturne after I have that experience.

How are the Raidou games? I've though about picking them up next.

The Raidou games are flawed gems. First one has a great story, average combat. Second one has great combat, average story.

Hylian7

Cheers. I think I'm Neutral-aligned at the moment but not really sure. This game is crazy long.

(Ok I'm lying, it's not that long, I just spend about 10 hours pissing about trying to find where I'm supposed to go all the time)
Yeah, unless you have been doing all the side quests, neutral will take you a while.

The last couple hours of SMT4 was one of the trippiest gaming experiences in my life.

I finished the Military Base stuff after the break of a few days. I then got outside and paid 500 Macca to cross some river. I had nowhere to go afterwards, found a Domain in some sort of shrine. After 5 or so attempts, I beat the fucker in an amazingly close battle (I won thanks to a level 12 demon having Agi, the rest was level 19-21). I went a bit further, thinking I'd quickly find somewhere with a Terminal, but I couldn't. I wandered around quite a bit but all I came across was another domain and a shitton of other demons. The name "Ikebukuro" sounded very familiar but it took me somewhere with Level 30+ demons. I felt incredibly lost throughout.

The whole thing feels dreamlike now.

Just got to
Shinjuku.
in SMT4. Loving the atmosphere and wearing
a black Demonica, shit looks damn good. Is the Demonica a common motif in SMT the way the demon summoning program is?

Man, why could this not have been on the Vita as well, it's so good and the tiny 3DS screen with its horrendous ergonomics doesn't do it justice. Enjoying it immensely nonetheless.

Just got to
Shinjuku.
in SMT4. Loving the atmosphere and wearing
a black Demonica, shit looks damn good. Is the Demonica a common motif in SMT the way the demon summoning program is?

Man, why could this not have been on the Vita as well, it's so good and the tiny 3DS screen with its horrendous ergonomics doesn't do it justice. Enjoying it immensely nonetheless.

Do you mean is the
Demonica in multiple SMTs?
It was only in
Strange Journey and it is just a version of a demon summoning machine, like COMPs.

(SMT4)

Holy shit,
Shinjuku
is GIGANTIC.

So I just defeated the demon that occupies the Metropolitan bulding or something along those lines. When defeated, he mutters something like "At least let this soul mix with the earth and know peace". I then reloaded my save and chose to not kill it, after which the demon went away.

Is there more of choices like this? I loved how
both options made me feel kind of shitty afterwards.

edit:

Neutral/Chaos ending first? Which is better?

Soulhouf

(SMT4)

Holy shit,
Shinjuku
is GIGANTIC.

So I just defeated the demon that occupies the Metropolitan bulding or something along those lines. When defeated, he mutters something like "At least let this soul mix with the earth and know peace". I then reloaded my save and chose to not kill it, after which the demon went away.

Is there more of choices like this? I loved how
both options made me feel kind of shitty afterwards.

edit:

Neutral/Chaos ending first? Which is better?

Do Neutral first. Chaos route has some of the greatest NG+ exclusive content in the game.

Hylian7

I'm on what I'm 99.99% sure is the final boss of the Triangulum arc in Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker:
Canopus and his Factors

I'm having trouble with him, and I'm probably going to take a break from the game for a day or two. Getting past the Factor of Fire was a lot more difficult than I expected. Avoiding his special attacks down the lanes was easy, but he was only taking double digit damage from most of my group. The ways I had to put significant damage on him was to use Megidolaon from the protagonist and Jungo with Double Strike, Pierce, and Rage Soul. I don't know if there is a better way to do it I just missed. That really took out a lot of everyone's MP, and not everyone has a method to recover it. I pretty much lost at the room of the three factors and that was where I decided to put the game down.

Regarding the plot:
I didn't particularly care for DS2's plot in general compared to the first, but now with the Triangulum arc I feel like it's just getting stupid now. The original game hyped up Polaris as the end all be all, and then this arc is like "Well, Polaris was a wuss, here's Arcturus, Canopus, and oh yeah there will be infinite guys after them." Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the gameplay, but the story is straight up whack at this point.

Probably the number one thing I couldn't stand about this game was all the cringe worthy dialogue that somehow found it's way into everything. Daichi's all "Heheheh, hey, Beavis, let's go look at the girls during their medical exams." while then the game shows them all in their underwear. There's the stupid thing about Otome constantly coming on to the protagonist. Triangulum spoilers:
Daichi is locked up and is still all "Oh Miyako-Chan is so adorable."
The really crappy designs of the humans (even the men) isn't helping. The women in the game all look ridiculous (in a bad way), while a lot of the men just look kind of " derpy" for lack of a better word. The NPC portraits in particular bug me, the Salarymen look like there are stupid and deformed. For some reason all of the police officers look evil.

I know some people want a DS3, but I would rather Atlus pursue a different sub series of SMT. If they did make a DS3, I would really hope for a new art style.

I'm feeling the urge to replay Soul Hackers, loved that game. Did the post game dungeon and still didn't have enough.
Main incentives for ng+ are the alternate ending and the fight with Raidou right?

Have to agree with the quality of dialogue and characters in DS2 - it is nowhere near as good as in #1 and makes the game overall clearly worse than its all time great worthy predecessor. The medical examination sequence was some of the most cringe-worthy anime waifu shit I had the displeasure of playing lately. I might recall it incorrectly but Atlus usually have a better sense of not ruining their characters like that in their RPGs, don't they? I lost respect for Makoto pretty quickly once she started behaving like a cliche anime girl towards the MC even though I found her character very intriguing at the start.

The cast was just so much worse ugh.

Have to agree with the quality of dialogue and characters in DS2 - it is nowhere near as good as in #1 and makes the game overall clearly worse than its all time great worthy predecessor. The medical examination sequence was some of the most cringe-worthy anime waifu shit I had the displeasure of playing lately. I might recall it incorrectly but Atlus usually have a better sense of not ruining their characters like that in their RPGs, don't they? I lost respect for Makoto pretty quickly one she started behaving like a cliche anime girl towards the MC even though I found her character very intriguing at the start.

Yeah. Also, the Eva influence was so blatant that it was a bit offputting for me.
I still need to play RB, being broke sucks, 3DS games barely ever drop in price.
I hope the new content is good. I love srpg's and the DS games are among my favorite.

cj_iwakura

Have to agree with the quality of dialogue and characters in DS2 - it is nowhere near as good as in #1 and makes the game overall clearly worse than its all time great worthy predecessor. The medical examination sequence was some of the most cringe-worthy anime waifu shit I had the displeasure of playing lately. I might recall it incorrectly but Atlus usually have a better sense of not ruining their characters like that in their RPGs, don't they? I lost respect for Makoto pretty quickly once she started behaving like a cliche anime girl towards the MC even though I found her character very intriguing at the start.

Makoto did result in the funniest scene in the game, though.

-Can...I come in?
-Pervert!
-But I-
-PERVERT!

Weiss

Banned
DS1's cast and atmosphere made it awesome. DS2 was too kooky, and despite ostensibly having even higher stakes I never felt invested in any of the characters' stories.

Jungo was pretty great, though.

Hylian7

Makoto still remained the least offensive of the bunch, despite a few dumb moments like the whole thing with Otome and Makoto arguing over the protagonist.

DS1's cast was better...with the exception of Yuzu. I would take Io over Yuzu any day, because good god Yuzu was so damn whiny and would just not shut the hell up. Maybe it was just her voice that was irritating, and her overpronunciation of Japanese words that annoyed me so much ("Oh no, the Death Clooocks and the Yuhhhhmuhhhnooootaaaay circle")

Top Bottom