• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Frimaire

Wow, okay, for real though, how the hell are you supposed to beat
Satan
in DDS2?
He just did a move that did 10x the health cap to all my characters...

cj_iwakura

Wow, okay, for real though, how the hell are you supposed to beat
Satan
in DDS2?
He just did a move that did 10x the health cap to all my characters...

Hehehe.
There's a specific rule to him. If after six(?) turns he's fully buffed or your team's fully debuffed, he casts God's Breath. You have to keep your buffs/debuffs active. And you can't take any null elemental/physical/etc. skills.

I have a video of how I beat him if you like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouDg4_PhvY4

If not, just watch the first 30 seconds to see my setup.

Frimaire

Hehehe.
There's a specific rule to him. If after six(?) turns he's fully buffed or your team's fully debuffed, he casts God's Breath. You have to keep your buffs/debuffs active. And you can't take any null elemental/physical/etc. skills.

I have a video of how I beat him if you like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouDg4_PhvY4

If not, just watch the first 30 seconds to see my setup.

Wow, level 80s? You're fucking insane.
Also, a move that
Completely heals him at low health?
that's filthy.
Thanks, though...

Edit: Is there a reason you have
Void death/charm on? are they not affected by the resistance reset?

cj_iwakura

Wow, level 80s? You're fucking insane.
Also, a move that
Completely heals him at low health?
that's filthy.
Thanks, though...

Edit: Is there a reason you have
Void death/charm on? are they not affected by the resistance reset?

Those don't completely null it, those are spells that prevent it from working. Null is the auto-null skill. Getting hit by an AOE Charm is suicide during that fight.

Also, that auto heal only happens once. You can do a lot of damage REAL fast if you're lucky(and faster with higher levels), I just got sick of grinding. I usually kill super bosses at lower than optimal levels. I killed the Demi-Fiend at 98/93/93, and Sephiroth in KH1 at 80 something(and he is a joke).

FYI, Seraph is in human form for the resistances, and the HIGH crit rate of her standard attack.

Opa-Pa

I've been making more progress in Digital Devil Saga 1 and have a couple of questions.

So I defeated
Beck and now I'm back at the karma temple looking for Sera.

-Is this the final dungeon in the game?
-Roughly how many hours should it take me to clear it?
-Are the extra bosses worth it? When should I start thinking of tackling them? Demi Fiend seems fun, but I don't have time for NG± as I plan to start Apocalypse on release next tuesday
-Any late story boss that requires some kind of preparation regarding build or skills? I think only two bosses have given me trouble so far, but the game has been relatively easy. Just asking to be sure

Also are there any advantages to human forms at all? I remember reading somewhere that there were, but I haven't figured out what. Although to be fair I haven't experimented much.

cj_iwakura

I've been making more progress in Digital Devil Saga 1 and have a couple of questions.

So I defeated
Beck and now I'm back at the karma temple looking for Sera.

-Is this the final dungeon in the game?
-Roughly how many hours should it take me to clear it?
-Are the extra bosses worth it? When should I start thinking of tackling them? Demi Fiend seems fun, but I don't have time for NG± as I plan to start Apocalypse on release next tuesday
-Any late story boss that requires some kind of preparation regarding build or skills? I think only two bosses have given me trouble so far, but the game has been relatively easy. Just asking to be sure

Also are there any advantages to human forms at all? I remember reading somewhere that there were, but I haven't figured out what. Although to be fair I haven't experimented much.

-You'll know when you're at the final dungeon, but yes, you're very close.
-YES. Lots of fun, huge bonuses for DDS2. Demi-Fiend is only NG+, and it'll take you more time to prepare for him and fight him than some entire RPGs take.
-Outside of Demi-Fiend? Not really, they're all pushovers.

Yes. Innate immunity to status effects(mostly).

The promotional photo says it's just Devil Summoner. The first Devil Summoner. From 1995. Where a substantial number of demon artwork currently used in the franchise originates.

Opa-Pa

Thanks, that was pretty helpful last night. And I guess I'll leave the extra bosses for later if they're fun.

I made it to the last boss and I'm figuring out a strategy for its final form. I'm kinda glad it's not a pushover like some of the other bosses in the final dungeon.

randomkid

i've been freaking the eff out in the other thread and on twitter but it is insane that the tease for volume 4 came true eight years later

year of dreams~

also where is the contact info of this "Shinkigensha" producer so i can spam them with requests for reprints of volumes 1-3

Opa-Pa

Finished Digital Devil Saga 1. That was a great experience, a tad short compared to your average SMT game, but very focused and with 0 bloat aside from the funky encounter rate.

The final boss was pretty cool too. It wasn't necessarily hard, but it's the perfect final boss for a game like this because it requires planning more than everything and demands that you make use of your freedom in party building. The final form took me by surprise the first time, but the next I won without much trouble because I took my time to come up with a good strategy with the skills I had gathered.

That was some cliffhanger tho lmao. The ending basically explains nothing... I expected it tho so no problem.
I wish I could just start DDS2 right away but Apocalypse is right around the corner so that'll have to wait.

But yeah, loved it. Probably the most all around solid SMT game I've played.

Golnei

Devola and Popola in Nier Automata looked really familiar for some reason, in a way that conflicted with both the style of the rest of the game and their appearances in the first one. I think it might be because they remind me so much of the DDS character models - does anyone else see more than a passing resemblance?

stareoff.gif
tumblr_odm4imajle1tt3wuco8_400.gif

daevious

Devola and Popola in Nier Automata looked really familiar for some reason, in a way that conflicted with both the style of the rest of the game and their appearances in the first one. I think it might be because they remind me so much of the DDS character models - does anyone else see more than a passing resemblance?

stareoff.gif
tumblr_odm4imajle1tt3wuco8_400.gif

I've been thinking they looked off and now I can't unsee the comparison.

That feeling when you wander into the 3DS Theme Shop looking for SMT themes and see that the SMTIV:A theme is up and it's free. Was a nice little surprise. 😊

NeonZ

I wonder why Atlus hasn't bothered with a Comp inspired theme. It seems like such an obvious concept and they have many opportunities (Devil Survivor 1 and 2, Megami Tensei IV and A have different variations of Comp menus shown in game), but apparently just won't do it...

asagami_

Banned
I finally reached the sixth day on Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker.

I will try follow Daichi route, I don't remember the name, but it will be where Tokyo turns for real the very center of the universe.

I did a joke to Airi in the segment
to try to convince her to come back to the group and she run away. Oh well. I still have Fumi, Hinako and Otome, but I really like Airi.

Will Shin Megami Tensei IV Apacolypse get its own OT?

Edit: Why isn't there a preload option for this?

I'm pretty excited for tonight's release.

mjc

If I have the opportunity to fuse for a deity, should I take it? Thoth is my first option at level 30. (SMTIV BTW)

Opa-Pa

Start DDS2! It's not a very long game, and the opening is godlike.

Wish I could have done this but I had to spend the weekend out of town so all I had was my 3DS sadly. I'll definitely get back to it after Apocalypse tho. I loved everything in DDS1 and I'm eager to find out more about the characters.

SMT newbie here - is Devil Survivor a tactics game? I'm on a little tactics binge, playing through FFTA2, and would love a tactics game in the SMT world with the Pokedemon elements thrown in as well. Is that anything close to what DS is?

Other than IV and IV:A, is Devil Summoner the best SMT available to play on a 3DS?

SMT newbie here - is Devil Survivor a tactics game? I'm on a little tactics binge, playing through FFTA2, and would love a tactics game in the SMT world with the Pokedemon elements thrown in as well. Is that anything close to what DS is?
Yes. The battlefield is very similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, but when you reach an enemy you have traditional SMT combat instead of just dealing combat damage directly. Overall, it is a fantastic game.
Other than IV and IV:A, is Devil Summoner the best SMT available to play on a 3DS?
Devil Summoner is pretty good. If you enjoyed SMT4 then you will like it.

If you haven't played Persona 3 or 4 yet then you might want to give them a try on a different system (PS2/PSP/PSV/PC).

Devil Summoner is pretty good. If you enjoyed SMT4 then you will like it.

If you haven't played Persona 3 or 4 yet then you might want to give them a try on a different system (PS2/PSP/PSV/PC).

Eh, I loved Soul Hackers but I can think of reasons someone may like SMT4 but not Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. Soul Hackers has a generally older aesthetic, and the demon fusion is less versatile than it is in SMT4. In some ways I actually think it's an advantage because of this, but many people would be put off by not being able to hand pick abilities for the next demon you fuse.

In the end they're both straight-forward dungeon crawlers with demon fusing and a similar combat system. People who are into that tend to like most entries in the series (even though they might rank them differently).

Thanks. I ordered Devil Survivor Overclocked - $25 on Amazon. I've been wavering between finishing IV and just starting IV:A but am close to finishing FFTA2 and need to keep scratching my tactics itch while I reintroduce myself to the SMT universe.

The combo of tactics with SMT-style battles when you engage in combat sounds awesome. My only worry is the voice acting they did for Overclocked - I watched a video and it sounds pretty terrible.

Frimaire

Fucking finally beat
Satan
in DDS2!
God, I'm too forgetful to keep very good track of all these factors while playing the game...
Anyways, thanks cj_iwakura...

Edit: So after
Beating the Archangels, Shiva, Vishnu, Seth, Satan, and getting the master ring the last boss is pretty much all that's left in the game?
I assume it's beyond the doors past Shiva and Vishnu.

jonjonaug

Fucking finally beat
Satan
in DDS2!
God, I'm too forgetful to keep very good track of all these factors while playing the game...
Anyways, thanks cj_iwakura...

Edit: So after
Beating the Archangels, Shiva, Vishnu, Seth, Satan, and getting the master ring the last boss is pretty much all that's left in the game?
I assume it's beyond the doors past Shiva and Vishnu.

I think
you still need to fight that think with all the mouths first
, then it's the final boss.

Frimaire

I think
you still need to fight that think with all the mouths first
, then it's the final boss.

Yeah, thanks I just finished it.
I don't think I've ever been so overpowered at the end of an SMT game, normally I at least have a bit of a tough time with the final boss...

Playing the first Persona on PSP and it's way better than I was led to believe. Once I'm done with this I'll finish Innocent Sin (which I also own for PSP) and then I can proudly claim to have finished all 5 Persona games. Soon to be 6.

Thanks. I ordered Devil Survivor Overclocked - $25 on Amazon. I've been wavering between finishing IV and just starting IV:A but am close to finishing FFTA2 and need to keep scratching my tactics itch while I reintroduce myself to the SMT universe.

The combo of tactics with SMT-style battles when you engage in combat sounds awesome. My only worry is the voice acting they did for Overclocked - I watched a video and it sounds pretty terrible.

The VA is alright imo except for fucking Midori. Christ almighty...

Opa-Pa

Playing the first Persona on PSP and it's way better than I was led to believe. Once I'm done with this I'll finish Innocent Sin (which I also own for PSP) and then I can proudly claim to have finished all 5 Persona games. Soon to be 6.

P1P is one criminally overlooked game, it's pretty good by its own and has connections with P2 that are great and a lot of people miss. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

Soul Hackers is awesome. It's probably the hardest to get into but it's so worth it. It shows its age in some ways and has a slow start but it's really good.

One thing that has been on my mind while playing Strange Journey: when some people complain about SMTIV missing that feeling of isolation that is prevalent for example in Nocturne, sometimes SJ is also mentioned as an example and honestly it couldn't be farther from the truth.
You are constantly in contact with your crew members either because they're with you or over the radio and also run into them in dungeons. Besides, you always have a safe haven to run back to that serves as the hub connecting all the dungeons. The game is great of course, just pointing this out.

P1P is one criminally overlooked game, it's pretty good by its own and has connections with P2 that are great and a lot of people miss. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

I'm a huge fan of P2 and think it's very underrated but P1 didn't do it for me. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

asagami_

Banned
Devil Survivor 2, Last Day.

My main team are
Me, Jungo, Fumi and Otome. I really wanted to fuse more demons with Phys Repels and Anti-most but I don't want to grind. Not in this run..

Lokbob

Playing through Devil Survivor 2 as well, I forgot how completely broken this game is.
Currently fighting against
Airi and Otome
... they kick my ass, I need some better demons.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this a lot. Sadly, I don't remember too much of Persona 2: EP because I finished it 7 years ago. :/ I mean, it was good and memorable but it was freaking big too.

I'm about one third into P1 PSP now and it's pretty damn straight forward which is nice for a change.

P1 gets a lot of shit for some of its clunkiness but it's a really great game if you can accept that and some of its funky balancing. Has some of my favorite dungeons in the series - genuinely made me wish Persona 2's dungeons were first person (and to be honest a lot of them sort of felt like they were originally designed to be). Still kind of hate the redone OST though - original was so good.

asagami_

Banned
Devil Survivor 2, finished 1st run!

I get the L
iberator ending. Well, verbatim, Tokyo is now the center of the world. I don't know if this world will survive to another demon rampage or to natural disasters, sad but this is the cost of freedom.

Now I can start the Triangulum Arc, but I will do first
an Alcor run. I could not get the enough points to retrieve with me a demon, but my skill and auction list yes. I don't saw anything about the Compedium so I hope this thing still exists with my demons data.

Opa-Pa

Yo, heads up! Both Digital Devil Saga games are on sale on the US PSN store as PS2 classics for PS3 at $3.99 right now as part of a flash sale.

DDS1 has bad framerate and 2 likely does too (haven't played it yet) but if they're the only way you have to play them they play just fine and you forget after a bit.

This is great timing as I finished the first game last week haha.

I was looking to see if I could find a larger pic of the Organic Energy Association representative that I have in my avatar (I think that may be the largest pic out there short of editing a screenshot of him) and I came across what seems to be his original Devil Summoner iteration.

18-energy.png

He definitely seems to give more of an overtly sinister vibe here. I always felt that between his portrait and the voice acting on the 3DS, his Soul Hackers rendition was less overtly menacing but with the potential to be if he needed to.

cj_iwakura

Playing the original Devil Summoner is like pulling teeth, but it has its charms, namely the style. My favorite is the weapon vendor. A realtor office where all the shelves switch around to reveal gun racks.

Opa-Pa

About Devil Summoner... Is there any way to experience it without knowing japanase? Like some youtube playthrough with subtitles or a written let's play? I'd like to be more familiar with it before trying Soul Hackers again.

Persona 1's "Bloody Destiny" boss track is really, really good, damn.

I know the soundtrack may be divisive, but damn once it clicks it can be so hype. I was always looking forward to bosses because of Bloody Destiny and most dungeon tracks were great.

cj_iwakura

About Devil Summoner... Is there any way to experience it without knowing japanase? Like some youtube playthrough with subtitles or a written let's play? I'd like to be more familiar with it before trying Soul Hackers again.

I have the Saturn version, which is dirt cheap. Got it for $5.

Your best bet is the Legendra FAQ here:

http://www.legendra.com/rpg/fiche-a...vil_summoner-so-articles.html#getpart_148_738

It's French, but google translate covers the gist of it. Pretty sure the author posts here, too.

Your real problem will be negotiations. No way to tell if they joined until you check your roster, since they just disappear as if they left, either way.

There's a pending fan translation, but the translator is still working on the labyrinthine script.

Top Bottom