• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

spiritfox

What I want from DS3 is for battles to go faster. SRPGs are slow enough already, then you add on the extra for every battle. Not sure how you'll make it faster though, other than having less battles or characters.

Do you say you hope it's different from 2 because 2 isn't good? Or you are just ready for something different?

DeS1 is way better unfortunately. DeS2 felt really off to me. Its cast was worse and it turned into a cringe-worthy waifu show which was embarrassing at times. I was on the last day I think and then lost my 3DS so I never finished it.

It did come with some nice QoL improvements however.

Opa-Pa

Yeah DeS2 is mechanically very good, if a bit easier due to balance issues, and introduced some quality of life stuff that was added later to Overclocked. But god damn did the writing take a hit, the game is more anime than P4. It's a bad harem anime that takes place in a demon apocalyse setting basically, pretty cringey and cliche all the time.

If you /really/ need your fix and are tolerant to that sort of stuff tho, it's enjoyable. I had a good time with it back in the day, but tried Record Breaker when it came out and the voice acting made the writing even harder to tolerate haha, I never beat it.

Capra

DeSu2 is by far the most anime-was-a-mistake entry in the series (that I've played) but it's worth it just for the glory that is Troll Hibiki:

urrSLYW.png

If you guys are talking about
Masakado, I actually found him easy compared to the other dlc bosses. Literally just fuse Sanat, level him up to 99 (he comes at 95 so it doesn't take that long) and Deadly Fury your way to victory. It's actually much more reliable than wasting your time fusing a pierce Kannuki Throw Uriel since you aren't relying on RNG shenanigans and Deadly Fury is always going to do enough damage before the timer runs out (considering you're using buffs, of course).
I really liked the Ancient of Days and archangel fights but Masakado was kinda disappointing. He's so "strong" you pretty much need to use the overpowered DLC skills to beat him and the game gives you the only demon you'll need, so at that point he's just kind of a joke.

Gonna try doing what you suggested now but I just came across this as well (spoilers for SMTIV final dlc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYUkeMcWCk

lol

Frimaire

DeSu2 is by far the most anime-was-a-mistake entry in the series (that I've played) but it's worth it just for the glory that is Troll Hibiki:

This misses how you can do that pervert joke at the beginning of like every day.
"Hey, are you awake yet? I need to talk to you."
"Pervert!"
"What? no, I'm not trying to-"
"PERVERT!"

All right, made it to the final dungeon of Persona 1
Avidya World
. Expecting to finish this game today or tomorrow. Took me barely 20h in total. Pretty short but very enjoyable game. Definitely recommended for most people who like MegaTen games.

When I picked up SMT4:A, the guy at Gamestop said he'd recently been playing DeSu2 Record Breaker, his first SMT ever. He said he liked it but he didn't get too far because it was pretty dark and depressing and he wasn't expecting that. I had an amusing moment telling him that DeSu2 is actually one of the lightest non-Persona games in the series.

Finished P1 and it was good. On to P2 Innocent Sin!

I wish the entire game was as challenging as the final dungeon. It was really exciting to go anxiously into fights again.

40detectives

Neo Member
I could not finish Persona 1 (psp), too much random fights every few steps. I give up on it around the second or third dungeon..... But i liked it, it just felt too grindy...

Question: is there any item more deep into the game that reduces enemy encounter rate ?

There is an item that repels weak enemies when you revisit dungeons but that doesn't really do anything in new dungeons. The game is definitely more SMT than modern day Persona.

Started IS today by the way.

PK Gaming

Every time I see this image, the part that absolutely kills me is the Dragon Stream response

"I have, actually"

So nonsensical, they somehow took a generic ass audience surrogate and somehow made him one of the most memorable characters in the game

40detectives

Neo Member
There is an item that repels weak enemies when you revisit dungeons but that doesn't really do anything in new dungeons. The game is definitely more SMT than modern day Persona.

Mmm yeah, I think it sounds me familiar that item... The most hardcore SMT experiences for me have been: Soul Hackers (3DS) and (a little bit tougher) Strange Journey (NDS). After those, I think I'm now prepared to give Persona 1 another chance.

And why not recognise it: A Lone Prayer and Bloody Destiny are amazing engrish tracks.

btw, are you playing PSP version of P2:IS?

randomkid

I could not finish Persona 1 (psp), too much random fights every few steps. I give up on it around the second or third dungeon..... But i liked it, it just felt too grindy...

Question: is there any item more deep into the game that reduces enemy encounter rate ?

Several personas also get Estoma, I think Shouki at LV 17 is the earliest you can get it.

The PSP remake increasing the encounter rate was the dumbest decision outside of the changes to the music.

Mmm yeah, I think it sounds me familiar that item... The most hardcore SMT experiences for me have been: Soul Hackers (3DS) and (a little bit tougher) Strange Journey (NDS). After those, I think I'm now prepared to give Persona 1 another chance.

And why not recognise it: A Lone Prayer and Bloody Destiny are amazing engrish tracks.

btw, are you playing PSP version of P2:IS?

Yes, I am.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering how I love all of the other games of that era its strange how much I dislike Persona 1. I don't like the story. I don't like the characters. I don't like the systems. I really, really don't like the dungeons. Probably the worst of all the Megaten RPGs.

cj_iwakura

Considering how I love all of the other games of that era its strange how much I dislike Persona 1. I don't like the story. I don't like the characters. I don't like the systems. I really, really don't like the dungeons. Probably the worst of all the Megaten RPGs.

It definitely has its moments. It's one of the weaker games, but some of the characters shine through. Even Ayase subverts expectations in the SQQ.

Shame her(and most) themes aren't in the PSP version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMnCukhKiI

Reaally digging Innocent Sin so far. Almost wish I had not played Eternal Punishment so I could experience both games in the right order.

And once I'm done with Innocent Sin (I wish I could use the abbreviation for this at work but better safe than sorry lol) I'll hop right into SMT IV Apocalypse once it releases in Europe.

I looooove MegaTen so much, man.

Reaally digging Innocent Sin so far. Almost wish I had not played Eternal Punishment so I could experience both games in the right order.

And once I'm done with Innocent Sin (I wish I could use the abbreviation for this at work but better safe than sorry lol) I'll hop right into SMT IV Apocalypse once it releases in Europe.

I looooove MegaTen so much, man.

Innocent Sin's story is great because not only did it allow them to go crazy but it also has a direct impact on gameplay in a way that makes complete sense.
Love the cast as well, imo one of the strongest in SMT.

Innocent Sin's story is great because not only did it allow them to go crazy but it also has a direct impact on gameplay in a way that makes complete sense.
Love the cast as well, imo one of the strongest in SMT.

Lisa Silvermans plot was a pretty bold way to handle the "token foreigner" character. I love how her resentment of her situation is more subtle for her peers but much more overt with her father, who was probably of the point of view that raising her this way (feeling like she's was fully Japanese without much regard for her parents expatriot status) for her own good with the situation she was given.

Loading times of IS on PSP are unacceptable. Not sure if I'll keep playing this version. Fights take like 2.5x as long as in Persona 1 and everything is stuttering.

Opa-Pa

Are you playing a physical copy? I remember it being bad both ways, but going digital (on Vita) somehow alleviated those issues for me. Still, that's the biggest problem of IS and P2 in general (minus EP PSP I believe, sigh), it's SLOW in every single possible way.

I don't remember if this is better or worse in the PS1 release, though.

I got the UMD, yeah.

Played it on vita, don't know how they compare but probably the same as installing the game on PSP.

Still toiling away at Strange Journey. Definitely one of the most hardcore experiences in the franchise.

Had a hard time with
Zelenin but Jimenez
was actually hilarious. Demons that reflect gun plus debilitate and just watch him commit sudoku. On one turn the reflected damage was over 3000.

cj_iwakura

Played it on vita, don't know how they compare but probably the same as installing the game on PSP.

Still toiling away at Strange Journey. Definitely one of the most hardcore experiences in the franchise.

Having played every core SMT, I regard it as the hardest. Only Raidou 1's devil mode is more brutal, and that's just beyond the pale.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SJ is hard if you're not used to real dungeons. Most of the bosses are easy and the random encounters aren't too bad.

That is until you get to the end game and two of the three routes have what is definitely the hardest non-optional boss in the entire franchise. Harder than most of the optional ones too.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I didn't think SJ was THAT hard, but technically I guess is the hardest main game (haven't finished Apocalypse yet tho). I thought the dungeons themselves were the hardest part, Eridanus still gives me nightmares haha. I still enjoyed them tho, probably the most fun in the series.

Mem Aleph was tough and one hell of a difficulty spike, but I didn't find her all that hard, but I guess RNG is big part of the battle so if you're lucky you might have it easy. Still I don't remember having much trouble against other bosses.

All things considered is my favorite SMT game and the fact that we may never get something similar makes me sad.

Strange Journey is honestly one of the ATG dungeon crawler games. Just outrageously good and very, very memorable. Sector E was long and hard but so, so good.

Interestingly, I consider Devil Survivor 1: OC to be the hardest MegaTen game. Perhaps my SRPG experience was lacking but the game felt hard as shit to me. Getting past the the
day 7 boss marathon
is one the hardest things I've ever done.

It always comes down to having the right traits/skills for the job which is part of the fun.
Like the example I gave above: having demons that reflect gun made the fight trivial.
Some bosses in the second half of SJ really require you to be prepared though.

In one of my runs of DeSu I fused a demon that was pretty much a perfect storm and made the last day a cakewalk.

It really depends, sometimes you just don't have the right tools and will need to fuse a lot which might require some grinding to recruit the right demons or get the money to summon them from the compendium. Sometimes it's a matter of getting a demon to a certain level to unlock a certain skill.

Rutger

Banned
SJ is certainly the hardest mainline SMT I've played, it's not too difficult really, but it doesn't have as many easily exploitable mechanics as the Press Turn system does.

I enjoyed it a ton. SMTIV's overall atmosphere and a far less tedious fusion system makes it win out for me, but SJ is close second(we'll see what happens when I get around to SMTIVA). The demon codes were nice, I'm not ashamed to admit that I grabbed some good demon codes for the final boss when I realized how much less time I'd spend on that than I would grinding the materials to be able to fuse them myself.

SJ's biggest flaw was not giving us some of Etrian Odyssey's map making tools.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I was only speaking for mainline SMT, but for Megaten as a whole, DeSu1 is definitely the hardest IMO.

Money and experience are scarce, and preparation is crucial, so every battle in the game is tense and things can go south pretty fast if you're not careful. Spending hours planning fusions can make it easier in the last days, but it's pretty hard to break compared to other Megaten games.

I remember that on my first playthrough I made it to Bee
lzebub
and it was the most impossible fight I had ever seen in an RPG, but when I played Overclocked I was better prepared and I took him down in like 3 turns... And then got bodied in the next fight haha, I love that game.

Honestly I'm not sure which of the DeSu games felt harder to me, 2 also has some crazy boss fights, I thought the final boss was harder than anything in the first game.

Anyway, it's crazy how many fantastic rpgs are under the SMT umbrella by this point, it's by far my favorite franchise with a huge difference to the second.

Caim

Gonna finally start up P2: Innocent Sin.

Bought it back when it dropped on PSN but never got around to playing it for some reason.

Sinople

I played P1 on PSP last month, third time trying to do this one (once on PS yeaaars ago and once on PSP at release). It was a chore but I finally did it! I know it has its fans (I actually read randomkid thread before starting it) but it never clicked with me and probably never will.
I then started P2IS again a couple of days ago. This one is actually one of my favorite SMT game and the PSP port is pretty great. Everything is so much faster and none of the silly "enhancements" that plagued P1. Playing it from the memory card with a custom firmware makes it a stress-free experience.

Yeah I was only speaking for mainline SMT, but for Megaten as a whole, DeSu1 is definitely the hardest IMO.

Money and experience are scarce, and preparation is crucial, so every battle in the game is tense and things can go south pretty fast if you're not careful. Spending hours planning fusions can make it easier in the last days, but it's pretty hard to break compared to other Megaten games.

I remember that on my first playthrough I made it to Bee
lzebub
and it was the most impossible fight I had ever seen in an RPG, but when I played Overclocked I was better prepared and I took him down in like 3 turns... And then got bodied in the next fight haha, I love that game.

Man all I keep seeing are people saying how hard Devil Survivor is. I'm on Day 3 still, loving it, but I'm scared! Maybe I should just cheat and check out the stats of those final bosses so I can be prepared?

Any non-spoilery tips? Can I screw it up if I get up to him and I haven't been preparing "correctly?" Or is it the kind of thing where I can fight him (them?) figure out a strategy, and go back and grind for the right demons?

Also, this seems to be a topic of some debate - Strength or Magic for my MC? I am somewhat balanced right now, leaning towards magic but need to start pumping one or the other.

Man all I keep seeing are people saying how hard Devil Survivor is. I'm on Day 3 still, loving it, but I'm scared! Maybe I should just cheat and check out the stats of those final bosses so I can be prepared?

Any non-spoilery tips? Can I screw it up if I get up to him and I haven't been preparing "correctly?" Or is it the kind of thing where I can fight him (them?) figure out a strategy, and go back and grind for the right demons?

Also, this seems to be a topic of some debate - Strength or Magic for my MC? I am somewhat balanced right now, leaning towards magic but need to start pumping one or the other.

Nah don't spoil yourself. You can always grind if necessary. Also, either going full strength or full magic works but don't distribute your points evenly but commit to something. I went a strength build which made the early and mid game a little harder but overall, takes over in terms of damage in the late game if I remember correctly. I basically killed all bosses with Deathbound.

The game's difficulty is pretty challenging in the first ~10 hours and then gets quite a bit easier until it picks up again and gets super tough on the last day.

jonjonaug

Magic is the better build in DeSu1, in DeSu2 both are good.

Devil Survivor 1 isn't too difficult for most of it but has some hard endgame levels. Devil Survivor 2 is more consistently difficult (but not too hard) outside of the final stage which can be really tough.

Opa-Pa

Nah don't spoil yourself, if you've made it that far without issues it means you'll probably be well prepared, because the game kicked my ass from beginning to end on my first playthrough and still managed to beat it.

Now, you don't want to have a balanced build in these games. I went full STR and had fun, but the concensus is that magic is better.

I found DeSu2 way easier overall but with some consistently harder bosses. I think it's too easy to break tho because I remember getting a couple of recommended demons the last day that made all final bosses trivial.

Thanks guys. I'll start dumping points towards magic now.

Speaking of character builds, I'm playing SMT on iOS also and have completely forgotten about INT. MC is at level 28 with 10 INT, which I just learned effects demon negotiations. Argh.

Kyonashi

So I'm 24 hours deep into SMTIV and just found out that a pure STR build isn't good in this game. -_- How fucked am I with the below?

STR 113
DX 9
MA 10
AG 62
LU 52

Also how far through am I if I just beat
Koga Saburo
in
Roppongi
?

So I'm 24 hours deep into SMTIV and just found out that a pure STR build isn't good in this game. -_- How fucked am I with the below?

Also how far through am I if I just beat
Koga Saburo
in
Roppongi
?

I see you followed my advice :), the game's OT is kinda dead, hope you stick around.
Is this your first SMT?

Opa-Pa

100+ STR gives you access to something later on, so it's not completely wasted, just don't dump any more points into it and go full DEX right away. If you've managed to make it that far without a proper phys build you'll be fine.

Top Bottom