• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

cj_iwakura

I want a 3D SMT game like Nocturne, not a first person maze/dungeon version. I wanna explore a post apocalyptic/cyber punk/neo gothic Tokyo run by demons/cults/crazy ppl.

Like this?

imagine-law.jpg

imagine-3.jpg

(Well, it does have all of the above...)

Koroviev

I want a 3D SMT game like Nocturne, not a first person maze/dungeon version. I wanna explore a post apocalyptic/cyber punk/neo gothic Tokyo run by demons/cults/crazy ppl.

A new SMT game would be nice. Atlus hasn't had enough love for the PS3 this gen. Really looking forward to the PSN re-release of the Digital Devil games.

Baron

Is this Atlus' final game for the DS outside Japan? Also, holy crap at the boobies. I found the thread title mildly amusing, but this was unexpected. Is the girl on the cover art in the throes of some scoliosis seizure or something?

They aren't. There's even passive skills that give an entire team Pierce. :D

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS. Though I'll still make my MC a magic user.

Physical attacks were more useful in Overclocked, so I image that would carry over to this.

Ah. I haven't actually put much time into Overclocked yet. I think I'll play DS2 before I go back to Overclocked. That way I don't get spoiled by the non postage stamp sized screen.

So I read in one of the reviews that there's anime scenes with voiceovers. How much VA will be in this? I know nothing like overclocked, but do the main characters get some voiced dialogue at least?

Kazerei

Banned
So I read in one of the reviews that there's anime scenes with voiceovers. How much VA will be in this? I know nothing like overclocked, but do the main characters get some voiced dialogue at least?

Maybe in the Japanese version, but not in the English version. I've started playing the game, and there were no voiceovers in the first day.

Edit: "Aberzombie" lololololol

And assuming the skills of Overclocked are in Devil Survivor 2, there is also a strength based almighty skill.
Holy Strike does damage based on strength? Huh, so that's one way to
beat Lucifer.
(Devil Survivor optional boss spoilers)
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS. Though I'll still make my MC a magic user.
In Overclocked, pretty much all of the bosses are a lot more quickly taken down by a physical attack based team. Magic kind of got nerfed. :\

C-Jo

Gah, I pre-ordered from Best Buy a few weeks ago and my order changed from "in progress" to "out of stock". Same thing happened with a bunch of my Vita stuff, too.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Gah, I pre-ordered from Best Buy a few weeks ago and my order changed from "in progress" to "out of stock". Same thing happened with a bunch of my Vita stuff, too.

I don't trust BB on niche games anymore, not after they fucked me out of Ar Tonelico Qoga.

It'll sit in "back order" and then they'll eventually take the page down.

The first day Best Buy put up the order page (the 16th), was when I put my order in. I had gift cards to spend so it seemed like a logical choice. I mean they carried Rorona and Neptunia, what could go wrong?

So I ordered through "ship to store" because it's about 5 minutes away and I had other games to play in the meantime, so I didn't need it super fast...

22 days later...

At first BB was assuring me it would be in today (the 6th), but 2 days ago they sent me an email saying back-ordered. How can something be on back-order if you never got any copies to begin with?

Called today and they said the manufacturer never sent them any, and it could be "up to 90 days"

Ended up buying it through gamefly, Fuck Best Buy

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just got a call to pick this up and was astounded that it was out already. I didn't even notice the OT until now. Shit, I figured this was out in March.

Goes to show how high this is on my priorities list, lol. I'll probably play a bit of it tonight if I don't get swamped with stuff to do.

Is the music still guitar-heavy? I didn't mind the riffs, but I wasn't extremely fond of the original's soundtrack (odd since I don't mind that sort of thing in general). I haven't checked a lot of media out for this outside of the font thing.

elohel

You should check out Strange Journey. Have to use your brain during those boss battles :)

Also boasts co-op attacks, where you and the demons who are aligned with you (or another demon) attack when an enemy's weakness is struck. A bit like a nerfed all-out attack from the Persona games, but I like it.

what is strange journey like? thats the DS game right?

DS2 has much better music, so I like it more by virtue of that alone.
Devil Survivor didn't have bad music, but the limitations of the DS certainly didn't help. I would love to see an arrange album. I was hoping they would rearrange the music for Overclocked, but they didn't. :(

I just got a call to pick this up and was astounded that it was out already. I didn't even notice the OT until now. Shit, I figured this was out in March.

Goes to show how high this is on my priorities list, lol. I'll probably play a bit of it tonight if I don't get swamped with stuff to do.

Is the music still guitar-heavy? I didn't mind the riffs, but I wasn't extremely fond of the original's soundtrack (odd since I don't mind that sort of thing in general). I haven't checked a lot of media out for this outside of the font thing.

Kazerei must be sad. THERE IS BOOBS IN THE TITLE HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT NOTICE IT????

Aeana

Devil Survivor didn't have bad music, but the limitations of the DS certainly didn't help. I would love to see an arrange album. I was hoping they would rearrange the music for Overclocked, but they didn't. :(

Well, I pretty much hated the music in Devil Survivor. It brought the experience down for me significantly.

Nexas

Haha got a game over ten minutes in for
repeatedly saying that I want to die.
Already off to a great start.

Curufinwe

Just read the Destructoid review, and they make it sound like you can't save mid-battle and then reload that save as many times as you need to like you could in the first game.

Can anyone confirm?

Kazerei

Banned
Just read the Destructoid review, and they make it sound like you can't save mid-battle and then reload that save as many times as you need to like you could in the first game.

Can anyone confirm?

You can reload suspend saves as many times as you want. Maybe the Destructoid reviewer didn't notice that feature.

Curufinwe

Someone should probably tell him. Sounds like he wasted hours and hours of his life, hehe.

This unforgiving difficulty seems a bit out of place in a portable title. I found myself playing through battles half a dozen times, losing sometimes an hour of my life each shot, making for some days where I did not progress at all. Each time I lost, I was forced to sit through a painfully lengthy and unskippable death cutscene and then work through all of the story text and dialogue trees, both of which are also unskippable. This made restarting a battle a chore and made long stretches of restarts aggravating.

NichM

Banned
Each time I lost, I was forced to sit through a painfully lengthy and unskippable death cutscene and then work through all of the story text and dialogue trees, both of which are also unskippable.

That's weird. Story text is definitely skippable if you hold down the L+R buttons, like it says in the manual.

Apollyon

Neo Member
Already enjoying DeSu2 a lot. As people have noted, the soundtrack is a big improvement over the original.

Haha got a game over ten minutes in for
repeatedly saying that I want to die.
Already off to a great start.

LOL. I knew it! One of those
But Thou Must moments. I tried the second option twice
, but something didn't feel right and I wasn't going to tempt fate.

Top Bottom