• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Teknoman

Finally got into it, and man i'm really having fun with this style of gameplay mixed with grid based tactics. The soundtrack is no slouch either, since its got the awesomeness of Kenji Ito's style combined with an old school SMT soundtrack feel (reminds me of Persona 2 IS at times).

daemonic

Banned
Just beat this game on the weekend. Found some bosses frustrating but the final boss was a lot easier than I expected. Most of my team had drain/reflect phys, and high magic stats with Drain, Mana Aid, Megidolaon, and Multi-Strike. Once I was able to get Anti-All the game became much easier. I was only about level 65 and thought there would be more to the
Polaris
battle. Are there any special or alternate endings?

Koroviev

Just beat this game on the weekend. Found some bosses frustrating but the final boss was a lot easier than I expected. Most of my team had drain/reflect phys, and high magic stats with Drain, Mana Aid, Megidolaon, and Multi-Strike. Once I was able to get Anti-All the game became much easier. I was only about level 65 and thought there would be more to the
Polaris
battle. Are there any special or alternate endings?

There are five different endings. The one you get depends on your fate links and the degree to which you've advanced each of them.

Ponn

Banned
Hey all, I spent two days trying to beat that f$#k#$ Ghost Q and finally did it. It said I could fuse him and i even went on a bit and beat snother demon called Botis and it said I could fuse him but neither one are showing as fusion options even in search. I did a google search for ghost Q and all i'm finding is you can fuse Ghost Q with an
ogun
and a
jack frost
I have both of them but it doesn't even give a fusion option with them. One is level 23 and one is 21. i believe my MC is level 22 or 23. I spent two days on that bastard and the lights are going to go out here because of s stupid tropical storm and I want my Ghost Q darn it!

Koroviev

Hey all, I spent two days trying to beat that f$#k#$ Ghost Q and finally did it. It said I could fuse him and i even went on a bit and beat snother demon called Botis and it said I could fuse him but neither one are showing as fusion options even in search. I did a google search for ghost Q and all i'm finding is you can fuse Ghost Q with an
ogun
and a
jack frost
I have both of them but it doesn't even give a fusion option with them. One is level 23 and one is 21. i believe my MC is level 22 or 23. I spent two days on that bastard and the lights are going to go out here because of s stupid tropical storm and I want my Ghost Q darn it!

They're not showing up because they're too far ahead of you in terms of levels :(

I'm not sure about Ghost Q, but I know Botis is level 38 or something like that. You'll get there!

Ponn

Banned
aww nuts, I was kinda figuring it was a level issue with me or the demons. Thanks. Thats ok, i've been getting a bunch of new demons available that are keeping me busy anyways. I beat his cheating ass and thats good enough for now.

TimeKillr

ogun
and a
jack frost

Wait till you try to beat
Alice
. By far the game's most difficult boss, albeit a hidden boss that's already pretty difficult to reach, but hey. I had to wait on my 3rd playthrough, because I didn't have enough stuff on my 2nd to do all the requirements.

Javier

Been playing this since the weekend and love it. I'm at early Tuesday, and have built my relationship rank mostly with Io (she's at 3 while everyone else is still at 1), and focusing the main character into a magical unit.

Loving the main story so far. Like DS1/O it does a good job at keeping you intrigued without being too talky. I'm a huge fan of building "supports" between characters, so the Fate System is one of my favorite features. About battles, it's nice the system pretty much remains unchanged, and grinding hasn't been much of a problem... yet.

Will do this first run completely blind. If someone dies, he/she stays dead (although no one has so far). And whatever ending I get I welcome, even if it's the worst one.

Koroviev

Been playing this since the weekend and love it. I'm at early Tuesday, and have built my relationship rank mostly with Io (she's at 3 while everyone else is still at 1), and focusing the main character into a magical unit.

Loving the main story so far. Like DS1/O it does a good job at keeping you intrigued without being too talky. I'm a huge fan of building "supports" between characters, so the Fate System is one of my favorite features. About battles, it's nice the system pretty much remains unchanged, and grinding hasn't been much of a problem... yet.

Will do this first run completely blind. If someone dies, he/she stays dead (although no one has so far). And whatever ending I get I welcome, even if it's the worst one.

Blind run is best run!

And just so you know, a physical build is actually viable in this game, unlike DSO.

While phys is better in Devil Survivor 2, I still think magic is the strongest build for a first playthrough. You come across more powerful magic skills earlier than phys skills, magic is affected by the Awakening racial, there are more magic skills to go around earlier in the game, and most of the daily bosses have a magic weakness to exploit. Phys catches up late in the game, but for most of the campaign magic is more powerful. You can 1-2 shot most of the bosses just by stacking MC's magic, hitting Awaken, and spamming a dance they're vulnerable to.

daemonic

Banned
Ghost Q is a good demon to have your demon because of his special ability. I abused it to no end until I came across another demon much later on that had it as well.

vid

I haven't even finished DS: Overclocked yet and I'm thinking about picking this up... should I hold off and wait for an Overclocked release? Or just go ahead and grab the base release before it becomes stupid hard to find?

Koroviev

I haven't even finished DS: Overclocked yet and I'm thinking about picking this up... should I hold off and wait for an Overclocked release? Or just go ahead and grab the base release before it becomes stupid hard to find?

I wouldn't get your hopes up for an overclocked release. Also, today is apparently the last day that GameStop has DS2 for $20. I think it's 100% worth it, but only if you've enjoyed Overclocked.

Tmdean

Banned

I wish I had waited for the first Overclocked, but I can't bring myself to replay a 30-40 hour game just to get to the extra content. I can see Atlus making a DS2 Overclocked, especially if they start making a DS3 for the 3DS. It'd be a cheap way to get more people into the franchise.

Then again, if you wait for the remake you'll probably be waiting about 2 years since it hasn't even been announced yet.

To change the subject, I thought the translation of DS2 was pretty good, especially with giving the characters distinct voices which is something that is often lacking in english localizations of these niche games. One thing that bugged me is towards the end of the game when Fumi is talking to MC and Daichi about
the Void
, she kept saying the word "concept" like it was a difficult term from philosophy, which was kind of amusing when Daichi admits that he doesn't know what the word "concept" means. I'm pretty sure that the word the translater was searching for was "archetype".

Curufinwe

I had been stuck on Benetnatsch for three weeks but I finally a manged to beat him yesterday after grinding up to level 59. And now the optional battles are giving decent experience again thank god.

Not sure if anyone is even watching this thread anymore, but I'm looking for some quick advice on this series. So I just got a 3DS and I'm currently enjoying playing some JRPG and SRPG games on the bus that I never had time to play at home anymore. I keep seeing this game talked about, but I've never played a Devil Survivor or even an SMT game before. What game should I start with? The OP says the story is separate, but should I start with DS1? Or there is a 3DS remake of DS1 as well, right? Is that the place to start? Or just jump to DS2.

Koroviev

Not sure if anyone is even watching this thread anymore, but I'm looking for some quick advice on this series. So I just got a 3DS and I'm currently enjoying playing some JRPG and SRPG games on the bus that I never had time to play at home anymore. I keep seeing this game talked about, but I've never played a Devil Survivor or even an SMT game before. What game should I start with? The OP says the story is separate, but should I start with DS1? Or there is a 3DS remake of DS1 as well, right? Is that the place to start? Or just jump to DS2.

I would play DS2, then DS Overclocked. They're both great, but you'll probably miss the voice-acting and high-res presentation going from DSO to DS2.

Tmdean

Banned
I disagree. DS2 is really good but, honestly, DS1 is the better game. They're both super long so I'd start with DSO and if you want more, go on to DS2.

At any rate, the storylines aren't linked so you can play them in any order.

Koroviev

I disagree. DS2 is really good but, honestly, DS1 is the better game. They're both super long so I'd start with DSO and if you want more, go on to DS2.

At any rate, the storylines aren't linked so you can play them in any order.

I prefer DS2, but that's not why I recommend starting with it. The presentation of DSO is simply better, so for some people, going from DSO to DS2 will automatically feel like a regression.

Curufinwe

I tried the final boss last night and the second phase
(where I had to my shadow versions of my team)
destroyed me. They were way overpowered compared to my team.

Koroviev

I tried the final boss last night and the second phase
(where I had to my shadow versions of my team)
destroyed me. They were way overpowered compared to my team.

I was confused for a moment, but then I realized that you've taken a different route than I did. I didn't have to do this battle, but my advice would be drain. It usually works.

Question...
I'm tired of Waiting.. Ghostlight announced releasing the game in eu late april and gave no news since.....
Can i play this game us version on eu 3ds or there's the usual region lockng sheningan?
From the first topic in the op it seems it's region free... Not a major issue since i can as well have my parente send me my nds lite, but i want to be' sure before asking them to send it.

Koroviev

Question...
I'm tired of Waiting.. Ghostlight announced releasing the game in eu late april and gave no news since.....
Can i play this game us version on eu 3ds or there's the usual region lockng sheningan?
From the first topic in the op it seems it's region free... Not a major issue since i can as well have my parente send me my nds lite, but i want to be' sure before asking them to send it.

I *think* it's region-free since it's an NDS game. Not entirely.

Did you guys get Overclocked yet? :(

MechaX

I've had this game since release, but I have just been playing it so slowly.

But I'm up to Day 5 and the game is fun and all, but is it just me... Or does it seem like the story hasn't really gone anywhere? Sure, Devil Survivor 1 was essentially SMT1 all over again without the ICBM attack, but this Monster of the Week approach has been getting pretty boring so far. I'll still most likely finish it, but I'm hoping that the story goes into overdrive by the end of this section.

Koroviev

I've had this game since release, but I have just been playing it so slowly.

But I'm up to Day 5 and the game is fun and all, but is it just me... Or does it seem like the story hasn't really gone anywhere? Sure, Devil Survivor 1 was essentially SMT1 all over again without the ICBM attack, but this Monster of the Week approach has been getting pretty boring so far. I'll still most likely finish it, but I'm hoping that the story goes into overdrive by the end of this section.
For me, it was all about the characters. And overall, I felt a greater sense of immediacy while playing DS2.

MechaX

For me, it was all about the characters. And overall, I felt a greater sense of immediacy while playing DS2.

Both games had fairly archetypal type characters, but it still seems to me that a majority of the DS2 characters have been pretty inconsequential so far. I mean, I like the Tokyo Team, but I absolutely could not care less about characters like Jungo, Airi, or angry kid (I seriously forgot his name, I'm not trying to be facetious either). And even at comparative points in both games, the DS1 characters were already put through the wringer in interesting ways already. This is including things like
Keisuke's meltdown.

I can see a haze of immediacy here, but the way that this lockdown is told this time does not really lend itself to a great amount of immediacy (or rather, it is told in a way that tries to give a neutral atmosphere with some bits of comic relief as opposed to constant depression like in DS1, not saying that either approach is bad per se). But if they are going to do an approach like this, I would at least like to have an antagonist where I actually know what in the world they are trying to do after 15 hours of playing.

Curufinwe

Yay, I finally finished it tonight. And I by finished I mean I got one one of Daichi's endings. I'll just watch the rest on youtube.

Bit of a necro, but I just finished this and was hoping someone could answer some questions:

-What's the deal with Al Saiduq's name? Psyduck? I don't even
-I got the
Kingmaker
ending, and the story was interesting but it was kind of lacking in challenge other than
running out of MP from it being dragged out over three consecutive battles
. Was this the hardest route?
-Does NG+ offer any new/changed endings or story sequences, or is the only difference some optional, irrelevant bosses strewn here and there?
-I took the skill crack, -30% compendium cost, and new Tuesday enemy bonuses -- did I screw myself over at all by not carrying over a demon or removing the exp/level caps?

Canadian Gamestops have been getting this back in stock, looks like a reprinting/rerelease.

Also is half the original price, it's only $20.

ajim

I recently started playing this game (after finishing DS1 a few weeks back amping up for this) and whilst I LOVE DS1 I really feel this is the better game, but only just. I'm really liking the characters, twists and the way you can manage scenarios between the separate cities.

I'm up to day 6 now I think it is and haven't found the game too difficult, and haven't really stuck to any main path - so I'm not sure which path I'm following at the moment lol.

Anyone else get anxiety with choosing a path or speaking to certain characters thinking its the wrong one or maybe there was a better option? I do every damn time! lol

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Bumping this for tips on the last boss. I made it to his third form with barely any health and demons and got wiped out by him in one turn. :(

It brings back painful memories of Mem Aleph in SJ.

Top Bottom