• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Looking for this thread only to find that it had been moved to community >_<. Anyway, multi-strike is a beautiful thing. I would seriously consider a physical MC if it didn't come so late.

Koroviev

Looking for this thread only to find that it had been moved to community >_<. Anyway, multi-strike is a beautiful thing. I would seriously consider a physical MC if it didn't come so late.

Subscribe! :)

And you can't be an alimighty beast if you do that <_<

just finished (via the
daichi / destroy polaris
path), &, between that last battle & the ending, i'm kinda just glad to be done with it right now :) ...

a very good game, with great mechanics, but it just never really reaches the 'awesome' level of the first one. but not a whole lot of other games do, either, so, whatever :) ...

just saw Purple Mirror and Titania from my fusion list... I want to reach level 61 now!

That next fusion is always just a level away...so addictive!

Until you get rid of the fusion level limit in new game+, where you can fuse any demon you want given the money.

ajim

Played the hell out of the first, and have just started this one. So far, I like Joe. He makes me laugh, "What is this dog on my screen?" coupled with his music and facial expressions just cracks me up lol

cj_iwakura

Day 7's Sep fight is nasty. Throwing out all the stops, and free battles are well beyond useless at this point. Doesn't this game bring back the 'hard' free battles from DS1?

Day 7's Sep fight is nasty. Throwing out all the stops, and free battles are well beyond useless at this point. Doesn't this game bring back the 'hard' free battles from DS1?

Sigh...not that I can tell. I experienced the same issue trying to grind a few levels for the final boss.
In new game+, you can choose an upgrade that gets rid of the exp cap put on low level battles, making you level up quicker. You'll probably find better things to spend your points on, though.

For this Septemtrione, I recommend remembering which quarter spawns where when it decides to split so you can already have the best team for the job arranged and ready to attack it. Don't bother trying to protect Trumpeter, here. His assailants disappear as soon as the boss splits - in some instances you can make it split before the buds even get a turn.

Good luck! If I remember correctly what route you're on, this isn't the last frustrating battle you're in for.

Is there an option in new game+ that gives you lots of money? :)

There is, but it's so expensive to choose that you'll likely have to end up forgoing other cool things to get it.

Played the hell out of the first, and have just started this one. So far, I like Joe. He makes me laugh, "What is this dog on my screen?" coupled with his music and facial expressions just cracks me up lol

lol, yeah. Joe is the undisputed king of DS2.
Shame he ends up belonging to my least favorite faction, end-game...

Koroviev

Ugh, I was so close to owing the final boss on my first try :(

Stupid mage MC ran out of mp and I was left to sit there punching the bastard in vain with all of my 5 Str. Other than that, however, I've found that the game has gotten progressively easier. I had a lot more trouble with the first few days' bosses than I have had with Day 7 and the bulk of the last day.

I was thinking I could beat it in 60 hours, but now I'm at 65. So, here's to beating it by 70 :)

Edit: And beat it :)

Ending spoilers!
I *think* I got the good/true JPs ending. Polaris granted Yamato his meritocracy and him and I, along with Fumi and Makoto, reign supreme! Kind of wish the MC could adopt their sleek threads. Ending stills showed me in the same stupid hoodie, but even worse with weird ear things /:

Ultratech

Yup. Just got it on my Physical MC and it completely wrecks ANYTHING that doesn't have Repel Phys. It's hilariously OP as hell. More so with Drain Hit.

Also got Hassohappa and a new demon from an interesting sidequest of sorts.
Kinda sucks that detective dude ended up dying as a result and was Airi's dad. Pretty neat little extra for bothering to meet up with him though. Funny encounter since I beat it in exactly 3 turns. Multi-Strike FTW.
Phys MC is ready to break the game!

Anywho, almost done with Day 6. Hadn't decided what or who I'm gonna side with. Also gotta spend some money and fuse some new demons.

Koroviev

Still trying to decide what I would like to carry over for NG+. I know I want no lvl/exp cap, my cracked skills and the ability to fuse mitamas, but I can't decide whether I want to carry over a demon or keep my auction house full.

Also trying to figure out how I want the next run to go. I used a mage the first time through, so I'm thinking it would be interesting to either have a balance between magic and strength or just go for strength. Looking at the routes, I'd like to go with one where
I can have Fumi on my team again. Is it possible with the Daichi route? I don't want Yamato to die :(

Anyone have a good source for the Daichi route variations? It seems like a difficult one and I don't want a "bad end."

Advice? :(

Edit: Don't know about route yet, but here's what I decided for NG+ points:
- mitama fusion
- cracked skills
- 4 demons
- no level cap

...had to figure out something that used up all the points :)

Fumi is certainly possible on Daichi's route, so long as she has relationship of 4 with you by the time you hit the end of Day 6

On Day 7,
that is the last time I actually attempt to attack Ronaldo from close up. I'm just gonna magic bomb him with Python now.

vall03

Fumi is certainly possible on Daichi's route, so long as she has relationship of 4 with you by the time you hit the end of Day 6

On Day 7,
that is the last time I actually attempt to attack Ronaldo from close up. I'm just gonna magic bomb him with Python now.

My favorite racial skills are now Chaos Breath and Evil Flow, I never used them back in DS1 because Im afraid of losing Extra Turns, but here, the skills feel like they're almost essential on a lot battles. Being able to attack from a distance is better than getting an Extra Turn and the lack of it can be compensated by Dual Shadow.

Ugh, I was so close to owing the final boss on my first try :(

Stupid mage MC ran out of mp and I was left to sit there punching the bastard in vain with all of my 5 Str. Other than that, however, I've found that the game has gotten progressively easier. I had a lot more trouble with the first few days' bosses than I have had with Day 7 and the bulk of the last day.

I was thinking I could beat it in 60 hours, but now I'm at 65. So, here's to beating it by 70 :)

Edit: And beat it :)

Ending spoilers!
I *think* I got the good/true JPs ending. Polaris granted Yamato his meritocracy and him and I, along with Fumi and Makoto, reign supreme! Kind of wish the MC could adopt their sleek threads. Ending stills showed me in the same stupid hoodie, but even worse with weird ear things /:

Are there variations of any ending other than Daichi's? I thought that was the only one with a "good" and a "normal" variation

Koroviev

Are there variations of any ending other than Daichi's? I thought that was the only one with a "good" and a "normal" variation

You're probably right. I was just guessing based on my experience with Catherine :p

Do you know what you have to do to get the good/true ending for Daichi? I've read that you need to get everyone, excluding the Anguished One, to a fate link level of 4 by the 6th day and, of course, side with Daichi, but it's hard to find information on it for some reason /:

On Day 7,

Perfect, thanks :)

My favorite racial skills are now Chaos Breath and Evil Flow, I never used them back in DS1 because Im afraid of losing Extra Turns, but here, the skills feel like they're almost essential on a lot battles. Being able to attack from a distance is better than getting an Extra Turn and the lack of it can be compensated by Dual Shadow.

I made a point of using demons with those skills at first, but I really didn't like not getting extra turns and having my turn cost increase. For battlefield advantage, I prefer genmas and avians.

duckroll

Extra turns don't really matter if you generally kill an enemy team in a single turn anyway. With physical teams, pierce + assassinate is basically instant sniping against most enemy teams if you have chaos flow. For magical teams, having the right element that the enemy is weak against and a high magic stat + element amp takes care of it as well.

Personally I like a mix of teams, so I have forward teams who have high mobility (high agility, free leap, double up, devil flash, etc) and at least one sniping team who has chaos breath. Having that balance creates a huge battlefield advantage.

You're probably right. I was just guessing based on my experience with Catherine :p

Do you know what you have to do to get the good/true ending for Daichi? I've read that you need to get everyone, excluding the Anguished One, to a fate link level of 4 by the 6th day and, of course, side with Daichi, but it's hard to find information on it for some reason /:

Yep, that's what I heard. Just make sure you're on good terms with everyone except AO and make the right choice when it's presented to you. Hardest part seems to be managing your Fate levels, but 4 isn't that high to reach.

Koroviev

Yep, that's what I heard. Just make sure you're on good terms with everyone except AO and make the right choice when it's presented to you. Hardest part seems to be managing your Fate levels, but 4 isn't that high to reach.

When the question comes up, do I
destroy Polaris or restore the world?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured out what I have to do haha

Hyunkel6

Any tips for the Ghost Q mission? I tried rushing him with devil speed and phantasm, but the other demons always catch up to me while I'm fighting him. Not to mention that his berserk and poison attacks are destroying my demons. Should I go level up more in free battles?

Oh, and are there any consequences on the story/endings if I choose to skip this mission?

Koroviev

Any tips for the Ghost Q mission? I tried rushing him with devil speed and phantasm, but the other demons always catch up to me while I'm fighting him. Not to mention that his berserk and poison attacks are destroying my demons. Should I go level up more in free battles?

Oh, and are there any consequences on the story/endings if I choose to skip this mission?

I don't think so. However, winning the fight probably gives you additional NG+ points to spend on upgrades for your next playthrough.

Anyone knows if things unlocked in the first new game+ are already unlocked in the next? For example, if I get rid of the level fusion cap, do I have to buy that bonus again for my third playthrough?

vall03

holy shit!
Benetnasch boss battle was crazy! Hinako singlehandedly beat three forms when it split thanks to Null Phys/Repel Phys, and MC only needed to deal with form with Repel Phys.
Seems like all those unintentional grinding paid off and the way I distributed my demons was effective.

Anyway,
I heard that Daichi have two endings, how should I know? will I have to choose and decide for it somehow?

Koroviev

holy shit!
Benetnasch boss battle was crazy! Hinako singlehandedly beat three forms when it split thanks to Null Phys/Repel Phys, and MC only needed to deal with form with Repel Phys.
Seems like all those unintentional grinding paid off and the way I distributed my demons was effective.

Anyway,
I heard that Daichi have two endings, how should I know? will I have to choose and decide for it somehow?

Yes, there are two
Daichi endings.

First and foremost, you must
get everyone, excluding the Anguished One, to a fate link level of 4 prior to the 6th day.

If you've done that, then which ending you get will depend on whether you choose to
destroy Polaris or restore the world. Destroying Polaris results in a solemn ending, while restoring the world leaves things on a more hopeful note.

Hope that helps :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just beat
Phecda..
in Day 3. Got so lucky during the fight; I had the boss at like 5% health, but everyone in my party except for the MC got killed off, so I pretty much had to rely on my ally to finish the job (considering he is the only one that can do damage during his immune state) while demons were spawning on him, intense shit.>_<

Koroviev

Just beat
Phecda..
in Day 3. Got so lucky during the fight; I had the boss at like 5% health, but everyone in my party except for the MC got killed off, so I pretty much had to rely on my ally to finish the job (considering he is the only one that can do damage during his immune state) while demons were spawning on him, intense shit.>_<

Don't you just love the brilliant AI? :p

PK Gaming

I hate to break it you bro, but your responses also play a part in increasing someone's fate gauge. Little things like being nice to a character can make the difference. (also watching a bunch of her events throughout the game helps too since I found hers to be to rarer than the average character.)

Real shame too, since Titania was really broken.

Koroviev

I hate to break it you bro, but your responses also play a part in increasing someone's fate gauge. Little things like being nice to a character can make the difference. (also watching a bunch of her events throughout the game helps too since I found hers to be to rarer than the average character.)

Real shame too, since Titania was really broken.

I love Io's embarrassed expression :p

PK Gaming

Not a fan of Megido and its high MP cost. Its only useful on a magic yang user early on, and then it gets replaced by Megidoalon (sp)

Holy Dance is better at clearing mobs and getting good damages on bosses most of the time.

cj_iwakura

So damn close to the final boss.

Got to the final form. My team was too worn out, so I knew I was screwed, but what the hell. I had Jungo rush the left wing, and he killed it in one skirmish.
Then Al got iced by that Loki pack with the RIDICULOUS phys demon. My god, that thing killed his entire team in one shot.

Just gotta figure out how I can keep everyone going to take out the other two... Main and Fumi were nearly drained.

Ultratech

Well, still on Day 7...

Decided to take the
AO
route. The developers must've had a field day with making these fights crazy as fuck. Feels like every other fight until Day 7 was just child's play.

Anywho, I was surprised when
Shiva
showed up in the first Day 7 fight. Had no chance in hell of killing it...it was way stronger than anything I could possibly throw at it. And those enemy team designs...they relish in you being unprepared.

"This can't be so bad..."
*Gets hit for 800+ damage*
*MC has died*
"FFFUUUUUUUUU"

And when things couldn't get worse...we end up fighting
Lugh Io
with all sorts of broken abilities. Luckily,
my MC manages to bitch-slap her ass after I had to redo the fight
Speaking of, why don't
you get access to super Io or why doesn't she keep all her Lugh abilities
?

Up to the
Vs. Osaka
fight now. Rage Soul is some pretty OP shit without some sort of Phys Null/Repel stuff (or attacking from Long Range). Not fun seeing your team get hit for 600-1600+ damage.
Though it's super hilarious when the attack gets Repelled and OHKO's the thing using it. lol

Got to the final form. My team was too worn out, so I knew I was screwed, but what the hell. I had Jungo rush the left wing, and he killed it in one skirmish.
Then Al got iced by that Loki pack with the RIDICULOUS phys demon. My god, that thing killed his entire team in one shot.

Just gotta figure out how I can keep everyone going to take out the other two... Main and Fumi were nearly drained.

Tyrants and Divines for MP? And fuse phys repel on to the MC's demons and then rush him up to the boss. Cue the final boss using its phys attack over and over and killing himself (or at least making the job a lot easier).

Koroviev

Not a fan of Megido and its high MP cost. Its only useful on a magic yang user early on, and then it gets replaced by Megidoalon (sp)

Holy Dance is better at clearing mobs and getting good damages on bosses most of the time.

But megidoalan has an even greater mp cost and it doesn't seem to be that much more effective. Magic Yang is my back-up plan. I'd rather pair demons wielding almighty skills with tyrants.

And yeah, dances are sweet to use on bosses. Usually use megido for mobs, though.

Yeah, on that final boss I had more issues with the damn never-ending fleet of mobs than the actual boss. I don't think there's any way to beat it other than
rushing it.

cj_iwakura

And, done.

Talk about assisted suicide.

Jungo + Phys Repel with Anzu. Polaris did all the work.

Kind of expected that I'd have to kill all three forms, but no complaints here!

Really enjoyable game. Not as great an arc as DS1's, but still a dang good one.

I really enjoyed the Septentrion designs. Very nice breath of fresh air from the usual demons.

Koroviev

And, done.

Talk about assisted suicide.

Jungo + Phys Repel with Anzu. Polaris did all the work.

Kind of expected that I'd have to kill all three forms, but no complaints here!

Really enjoyable game. Not as great an arc as DS1's, but still a dang good one.

I really enjoyed the Septentrion designs. Very nice breath of fresh air from the usual demons.

I'd cry if I had to
kill all three forms.
What do you want to bet that someone in Japan has already accomplished just that?

Ultratech

Futher into Day 7...

Fought some more
former allies
and got some more cracked skills. Kinda annoying since there's so MANY skills to be cracked in these fights, but I just can't get them all.
Anywho, got Attack All, Prayer, Mediarahan, and Drain Phys from my last fight, so those'll definitely help.

Also helps that I have more
allies
for the
AO
path now.
Going into those fights with only 2 people is rough shit. That, and I kinda messed up on Fate levels, so not everyone is joining me. Luckily, the good people are. :D

Almost able to get Titania and Purple Mirror. Yay.
Also, Python is awesome. +6 Attack Range along with 8 Move (I forget what I'm using that has this) is just godly as hell. Also made a Demon similar to my Phys MC that just wrecks teams with Multi-Strike. Was kinda expensive to make, but so worth it.
Assassinate on a good Phys Demon is really helpful as well, assuming you can OHKO the leader with it.

Also fun knowing that you can break Phys resistance with Shock or Freeze. Helpful for those annoying enemies that love to resist Phys. (I've sorta known this for a while, but was impressed it broke Reflect.)

Why are Purple Mirror and Titania so great? Is it because they null or reflect nearly everything?

Pretty much. Titania nulls damn near everything and Puprle Mirror can reflect like 3 or 4 elements (sadly, it's weak to whatever it doesn't reflect IIRC). They're almost invincible with the right skills. (Almighty will still mess 'em up.)

P90

Why couldn't I get Io to Rank 5? :( No Titania for me.
I never saw any new dialogue options for her.

I got her to rank 5 on Day 6. Makoto and Otome maxed out for me super quick. I think Makoto was Day 4 and Otome was Day 5. I am not so sure that Io is canon like what was alleged earlier by some in the thread.

Top Bottom