• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Pretty much. Titania nulls damn near everything and Puprle Mirror can reflect like 3 or 4 elements (sadly, it's weak to whatever it doesn't reflect IIRC). They're almost invincible with the right skills. (Almighty will still mess 'em up.)

Purple Mirror is so beast.

Also his weaknesses are quite logical. He is a mirror, so he is weak to physical and force. But that can be easily patched up. My Purple Mirror reflects physical and nulls force I'm pretty sure. The only thing that can touch him is almighty.

vall03

finally beat the game! I was around Level 68, gained a couple from beating the enemies leading to the final boss fight.
Final Polaris Form is a joke, was able to beat it without using Extra Turns due to Dual Shadow and it used that High Phys Attack which got reflected. The mobs are seriously annoying though. Overall, a really great sequel, but doesn't really feel like a sequel to DS1. Judging from the events leading to the endings and thinking of the other routes, I can say it feels more like Nocturne. Now Im wondering what AOs motivations are, I have a feeling it will somehow resemble True Demon Ending.

Anyway, I don't know if I will replay right away. I want to get a Platinum on Graces f but I can't use the tv all the time so I may move to other games, but its seriously tempting to get the other endings.

Looking at the reward list, I seriously suck, Only got 210 points *sigh*

Koroviev

finally beat the game! I was around Level 68, gained a couple from beating the enemies leading to the final boss fight.
Final Polaris Form is a joke, was able to beat it without using Extra Turns due to Dual Shadow and it used that High Phys Attack which got reflected. The mobs are seriously annoying though. Overall, a really great sequel, but doesn't really feel like a sequel to DS1. Judging from the events leading to the endings and thinking of the other routes, I can say it feels more like Nocturne. Now Im wondering what AOs motivations are, I have a feeling it will somehow resemble True Demon Ending.

Anyway, I don't know if I will replay right away. I want to get a Platinum on Graces f but I can't use the tv all the time so I may move to other games, but its seriously tempting to get the other endings.

Looking at the reward list, I seriously suck, Only got 210 points *sigh*

To be fair, a lot of the points come from completing the compendium and defeating special bosses that can only be unlocked with NG+ points.

PK Gaming

But megidoalan has an even greater mp cost and it doesn't seem to be that much more effective. Magic Yang is my back-up plan. I'd rather pair demons wielding almighty skills with tyrants.

And yeah, dances are sweet to use on bosses. Usually use megido for mobs, though.

Yeah, on that final boss I had more issues with the damn never-ending fleet of mobs than the actual boss. I don't think there's any way to beat it other than
rushing it.

It definitely makes the difference, trust me. Megido will usually deal 200-250 damage to all enemies while i've seen Megidoalan deal up to 500 for an entire mod. It is THE definitive mob clear in the game (after multistrike I guess)

That MP cost is bullshit though, and Magic Yang is a basic requirement lol.

PS: Hi fumi

Koroviev

It definitely makes the difference, trust me. Megido will usually deal 200-250 damage to all enemies while i've seen Megidoalan deal up to 500 for an entire mod. It is THE definitive mob clear in the game (after multistrike I guess)

That MP cost is bullshit though, and Magic Yang is a basic requirement lol.

PS: Hi fumi

Yeah, I usually just have a tyrant and a deity use megido. I don't think the tyrant racial skill covers the complete mp cost of megidoalan though :x

Hi Joe, how's life under
the supreme reign of Yamato & Co.? ;)

PK Gaming

How's life
working in a peaceful garden with computers to better mankind, because you know we had Polaris reset the world remember? I'm pretty sure my dying girlfriend won't die this time too.

Koroviev

How's life
working in a peaceful garden with computers to better mankind, because you know we had Polaris reset the world remember? I'm pretty sure my dying girlfriend won't die this time too.

Damn communists! |:<

That's my next ending lol

cj_iwakura

Well, it turns out

our utopia doesn't need ANY of those fools.

Gemini and Fumi will make their OWN glorious empire!

(Yes I'm shipping, deal.)

Finally beat that annoying day 3 NG+ boss
Nebiros
Due to the choices for my NG+. I only had two teams of high level demons to work with.
Needed to rely on Fairy Dust's ability to boost turn order to finish him.

Torraz

Finally beat my first SMT game... I've played persona 1, 2 IS, 3, 4, devil survivor 1 and strange survivor but usually quit (near the very end).

I must say, day 7 + 8 were a lot easier than all the other days put together, at least on the
AO route

I managed to get
180 points
. I had a question about NG+(+).

Do the
points one gets after beating the game keep resetting for every ng + or does one accumulate more and more points every time one beats the game?

Also, I'm not sure what to pick.
5 demons (instead of 1) vs fusion demons above MC's level OR getting more XP from low level demons.... Oh and what do the mitama fusions do?

Thanks for any insights...

cj_iwakura

Finally beat my first SMT game... I've played persona 1, 2 IS, 3, 4, devil survivor 1 and strange survivor but usually quit (near the very end).

I must say, day 7 + 8 were a lot easier than all the other days put together, at least on the
AO route

I managed to get
180 points
. I had a question about NG+(+).

Do the
points one gets after beating the game keep resetting for every ng + or does one accumulate more and more points every time one beats the game?

Also, I'm not sure what to pick.
5 demons (instead of 1) vs fusion demons above MC's level OR getting more XP from low level demons.... Oh and what do the mitama fusions do?

Thanks for any insights...

Regarding your last question(and this isn't really a spoiler, it's helpful info), Mitama fusions are used on a demon to improve their stats and give them new skills. It doesn't change the demon like Element fusion does. But fusing above MC's level is WAY more crucial.

Torraz

Regarding your last question(and this isn't really a spoiler, it's helpful info), Mitama fusions are used on a demon to improve their stats and give them new skills. It doesn't change the demon like Element fusion does. But fusing above MC's level is WAY more crucial.

Thanks. I put it into spoiler tags just to be sure. Rather safe than sorry ;).

Since I have 180 points I was thinking of
10 - keep skills (duh)
20 - 1 demon
80 - 5 extra demons
60 - fusing above MC level

10 left with nothing to spend it on

OR kick out the 80 points 5 extra demons and adding the two below instead...

60 - more low level xp
30 - mitama

Decisions, decisions...

Another question. Can one do two phys attacker characters in a new game +, considering one should have
pierce AND pierce+?
. I'm considering making the MC a STR + VIT melee attacker this time.

Curufinwe

I just got up to the boss on the afternoon of Day 2 and yeah, I'm going to have to really rethink my strategy. And maybe level up a little bit.

Requeim

strange survivor

Damn, haven't played that one yet. Sounds like a cool crossover game though!

NG+ Bonus choices...

If you have a good non-unique killer demon in your compendium, you don't need to bring over anything. Remove XP cap and fuse above level are the two most important ones imo. I had an Anzu registered with pierce and Multi-strike that killed everything. Once i had enough money i just gave one to each team-member and breezed through NG+

cj_iwakura

Damn, haven't played that one yet. Sounds like a cool crossover game though!

If you have a good non-unique killer demon in your compendium, you don't need to bring over anything. Remove XP cap and fuse above level are the two most important ones imo. I had an Anzu registered with pierce and Multi-strike that killed everything. Once i had enough money i just gave one to each team-member and breezed through NG+

Strange Journey II with Devil Survivor's combat system? Hmm...

1278043844589.jpg

Thanks. I put it into spoiler tags just to be sure. Rather safe than sorry ;).

Since I have 180 points I was thinking of
10 - keep skills (duh)
20 - 1 demon
80 - 5 extra demons
60 - fusing above MC level

10 left with nothing to spend it on

OR kick out the 80 points 5 extra demons and adding the two below instead...

60 - more low level xp
30 - mitama

Decisions, decisions...

Another question. Can one do two phys attacker characters in a new game +, considering one should have
pierce AND pierce+?
. I'm considering making the MC a STR + VIT melee attacker this time.

Why STR + VIT. Multistrike makes STR + AGI the premier physical combination.

Torraz

Why STR + VIT. Multistrike makes STR + AGI the premier physical combination.

But there is only 1 multristrike to assign to a character. Apparently STR + VIT Deathbound is supposed to rival multistrike damage, but due to less numbers it looks less cool...

Koroviev

Is overclocked worth playing after DS2? I played the original DS version, but never finished it. It's only $30 on Amazon right now, so I figured it might be a good time to give it another chance.

Edit: Bought it at GameStop. I am weak ._.

Good decision, bad decision? I haven't opened it haha

Sadist

Oooh grinding my ass off

I'm having a lot of fun though. On the third day however I raged hard.
Three game overs because that idiot Jungo wouldn't stop fighting others/my party didn't reach him in time.

Ultratech

Welp, beat the game. Final Boss wasn't quite as bullshit I was led to believe, but I managed to persevere nonetheless.

Actually, things went pretty well until
the last form where he killed off Makoto and her team straight off the bat with several Double Extras, then wiped out Yumi's team with the uber fuck-off laser.

Hilariously enough, it was actually
Saiduq and his team
that managed to score the killing blow. Though my MC's team did most of the work reflecting/beating the hell out of it.

Seeing Multi-Strike + Pierce + Phys Amp just devastate teams is awesome.
700 HP? You're already dead. Bosses? You just got shitknocked for 1/4~1/2 of your health.

Having Holy Dance on maxed Magic is pretty cool too. Think I was doing around ~360+ a hit with it on average (highest I ever saw it do was about 520+ on low Magic enemies).

PK Gaming

Is overclocked worth playing after DS2? I played the original DS version, but never finished it. It's only $30 on Amazon right now, so I figured it might be a good time to give it another chance.

Edit: Bought it at GameStop. I am weak ._.

Good decision, bad decision? I haven't opened it haha

ABSOLUTELY.

Overclocked to date is one of my favorite games of all time. The amount of content it adds over its predecessor is staggering (a lot of went unnoticed). New demons (no not just new demons, smart demon placements to fix the gap... notice the huge gap between Tyrant demons? That's fixed now!) a bunch of new skills (including the yummy Multistrike and a few others) and VOICE ACTING. My god, voice acting makes the experience that much more immersive. They're a bit off putting at first since:

1) It's obviously going to go against you're headcannon
2) The actors aren't as accustomed to their character on the first day or so

but MY GOD it's damn good. The character voices are all fitting, and you'll grow to love them. If you puss out and turn voices off then you're not experiencing the full package.

Oh and I didn't even get started on the 8th day, which adds 5-10 hours of individual game time PER ROUTE.

It's a huge improvement over the original.

EDIT: You didn't make the right decision, you made the BEST decision.

If you own a 3DS and like tactics games, Overclocked is a great choice, especially considering there are so few of them on 3DS so far.

On the other hand, I thought the voice acting was rather second rate, so I don't know why they bothered.

PK Gaming

Spike Spencer? Melissa Fawn? Laura Bailey? Kirk Thorton? Kyle Herbert? Couple more?

None of those actors are second rate. I've talked to half of the VA, and they all told they put their all into voicing their game. Some (like Kyle Herbert) enjoyed working on this game tremendously. They just get a bad wrap because people dismiss from their performances on the first day. (which admittedly aren't as good... it's on the 2nd day and on that they really start getting into it) It was an ambitious undertaking on Atlus' behalf, but the end result was their best voice acting yet.

Calling the voice work second-rate is a slap to the face to those who worked on it.

Koroviev

ABSOLUTELY.

Overclocked to date is one of my favorite games of all time. The amount of content it adds over its predecessor is staggering (a lot of went unnoticed). New demons (no not just new demons, smart demon placements to fix the gap... notice the huge gap between Tyrant demons? That's fixed now!) a bunch of new skills (including the yummy Multistrike and a few others) and VOICE ACTING. My god, voice acting makes the experience that much more immersive. They're a bit off putting at first since:

1) It's obviously going to go against you're headcannon
2) The actors aren't as accustomed to their character on the first day or so

but MY GOD it's damn good. The character voices are all fitting, and you'll grow to love them. If you puss out and turn voices off then you're not experiencing the full package.

Oh and I didn't even get started on the 8th day, which adds 5-10 hours of individual game time PER ROUTE.

It's a huge improvement over the original.

EDIT: You didn't make the right decision, you made the BEST decision.

Haha, well that settles it! Now that's the kind of endorsement I was looking for >:)

I was just afraid it would be one of those cases where the latest game negates the accomplishments of its predecessor.

And unless it's some sort of terrible abomination, I'm not going to turn off the VA. That's kind of a major selling point and I'd feel like I was cheating myself if I did. I haven't played the original since 2009 (didn't finish, wimped out at Wendigo; I'm a better person now!), so I don't really have any voices in mind.

I was going to hold off until I finish Radiant Historia, but Devil Survivor 2 left me with SRPG lust, so I guess I'll start this and play both...okay, my play time might end up a bit skewed ;)

Edit: Really excited about the endings. Can't wait to see one!

If you own a 3DS and like tactics games, Overclocked is a great choice, especially considering there are so few of them on 3DS so far.

On the other hand, I thought the voice acting was rather second rate, so I don't know why they bothered.

I love tactics games. Overclocked is my first 3DS game, even though I've had the system for more than 6 months. I'm not big on first-party Nintendo titles.

But there is only 1 multristrike to assign to a character. Apparently STR + VIT Deathbound is supposed to rival multistrike damage, but due to less numbers it looks less cool...

Well you only get one pierce, making only one phys character viable until you crack pierce+.

Also, I realized on my second playthrough that you only need to grind your MC. The game levels everyone else up to close to the MC's levels. But I guess this is only viable on new game+ because the exp limit is removed.

Koroviev

Well you only get one pierce, making only one phys character viable until you crack pierce+.

Also, I realized on my second playthrough that you only need to grind your MC. The game levels everyone else up to close to the MC's levels. But I guess this is only viable on new game+ because the exp limit is removed.

I noticed that happening during my first playthrough. Very nice feature :)

I regret my heavy emphasis on magic inheritance in my demons. Now the majority of my physical demons have massive magic stats but don't have the MP pool to back it up.

I'd just like a little variety you know? Have a Koumokuten or Susanoo that actually hits things really hard rather than just using megido or holy dance like nearly every other demon in my arsenal.

Sadist

Ffffff...

Day 3:

So I managed to beat Ronaldo several times and afterwards the third boss comes in: got my ass kicked three times over :( What's a good strategy in defeating him? I'd say It would be wise to strike while he's complete right?

Koroviev

Ffffff...

Day 3:

So I managed to beat Ronaldo several times and afterwards the third boss comes in: got my ass kicked three times over :( What's a good strategy in defeating him? I'd say It would be wise to strike while he's complete right?

If you manage to crack drain when you defeat Ronaldo, then that would be a good way to take on the complete form, as it's only vulnerable to almighty attacks. However, damage done to the respective halves does affect the hp of the complete form, even when one half is destroyed and a new one is formed. Unless Phecda is complete, Ronaldo will focus exclusively on the fodder, so it would be wise to let him deal with that while you attack Phecda.

Are you using suspend saves? After you defeat Ronaldo and crack drain, you should definitely create one.

I really like how the Septentriones were designed, all alien and incomprehensible. One design I didn't like was
Polaris's third form. He starts out looking so great but ends up as this giant fat blob.

Curufinwe

I had to abuse the hell out of Suspend to beat the boss on the afternoon of the third day. And Daichi only had 4 HP left when he got the killing blow in.

Sadist

So, how do I beat the boss on the 4th day?

Megrez is it right? He's weak to Ice-type moves but man his attacks inflict some serious damage. What's the strategy, because grinding takes way to long as my teams are at lvl 30+.

Back to the last day again. beat all the NG+ bosses expect the first (didn't carry over any demons) and the last (decided that I didn't want to grind the levels to beat it). Going to defeat them next round.

For now, time to fuse every demon I can.

Koroviev

So, how do I beat the boss on the 4th day?

Megrez is it right? He's weak to Ice-type moves but man his attacks inflict some serious damage. What's the strategy, because grinding takes way to long as my teams are at lvl 30+.

Since Megrez is just going to summon more, focus on weakening the mobs (I.e. killing the side demons, but leaving the leader alive in a compromised state), rather than outright destroying them. Doing so will save you resources for the boss while simultaneously draining the powers of any enemy healers.

Of course, with the mobs still alive to some degree, you're still likely to face the issue where you find yourself hopelessly cornered on the far side of dock. With the enemies weakened, I suppose you could fight your way back through, but then you would once again have to deal with the issue of regenerating mobs.

A smarter strategy would be to equip yourself with a genma or two, the reason being that the genma racial skill enables you to pass through obstacles, including enemy teams. The avian racial skill *might* also be useful for this purpose. An easy way to find out is to have Yamato on your team, as he comes equipped with an avian Suparna.

And of course, make sure that you go to battle with ice dances and media :)

Top Bottom