• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei (iOS) |OT| $5.99 until March 31st

randomkid

xA0vq3q.png

Title: Shin Megami Tensei
Developer: Atlus
Genre: RPG
Release: March 18, 2014 (iOS)
Price: $5.99 until March 31st! (then $7.99)
Platform: Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, requires iOS 4.3 or greater, available in Europe.
Size: 24.6 MB

OUT NOW GET IT -> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shin-megami-tensei-eng/id804069802?mt=8&ls=1

It's here! Took over twenty years but the first entry in the storied RPG franchise, Shin Megami Tensei, originally released in 1992 on Super Famicom, gets officially released in English for the first time. This version of the game is a port of the GBA remake which includes revamped background and map art, interface and usability fixes to make the game much more fun to play, and extra story content to flesh things out. The iOS version also includes the PSX soundtrack. Please enjoy art from all these various eras through out the thread. And if you are worried about that iffy looking virtual button setup, SMT1 is actually filled with straight line paths and autobattle options that should lead to controls that are just fine. And you can even play in portrait view if you don't want anything even slightly obscured.

You'll spend most of your time in the game traveling through lengthy, tricky dungeons, tracking down folks across Tokyo, negotiating with and fusing demons to join your team, and making decisions to shape the story, all while experiencing a classic occult, otherworldly, densely mythological but often lonely SMT atmosphere. You might be scurred by the franchise reputation but this is a series that serves several audiences and might be up your alley. If you are a 90s PC RPG snob this game is chock full of that Choice and Consequence stuff you guys love. If you are a 3DS owner who had fun with SMT4 you'll learn where all those cool little references came from. And if you are a general RPG fan who wants to start right at the beginning of a famous well-regarded series, this is a great place to jump in.

28Eg0GV.png

The year is 199x. A man seeking power to overthrow the corrupt Japanese government seeks to summon demons for power. Unfortunately for the world, he succeeds.

megacdintro1.png

A scientist responsible for the Demon Summoning Program sends it out into the wild so the average person will have the power to control demons and stave off the apocalypse.

megacdintro2.png

One day after waking up, a young man receives a mysterious email, after having a very strange dream...

Hero
hero2.jpg
smtpsx-m.jpg

A youth who receives an email about the Devil Summoning program. His personality and abilities are determined by the player.

Law Hero
law2.jpg
2L9JzwN.jpg

A friend of the main character who meets him frequently at the mall. Has a strong sense of justice.

Chaos Hero
chaos2.jpg
rJ2jpfA.jpg

A local youth who constantly gets bullied by the gangs in town. Longs to become stronger.

Heroine
heroine2.jpg
smtpsx-f.jpg

Another friend of the protagonist who has a multitude of interests, and will be of great importance in the battles ahead.

Pascal The Dog
welcome.png

For platform comparisions and more art, check out the HG101 article
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten2.htm

4I0kCrV.png

• The encounter rate can get high, so when you are tired of autobattle or negotiating, make sure to get a demon with Estoma as soon as possible.
  • But grinding is not needed! Fuse smartly and get a gun that hits all with status effects and you will cruise through the game.
  • The hero does not learn spells so don't give him any points in magic, but do not neglect intelligence because it affects negotiation. Here is a sample build you can use for the main characters.
  • Charm is super good, so try to get demons with sexy dance and use charm bullets.
  • Walking around with demons uses up MAG in dungeons (but not the world map). You can either occasionally negotiate with demons to replenish MAG, or keep costly demons in your inventory for major bosses.
  • Some helpful tips for recruiting demons right here.
  • You're not supposed to hold onto demons past when they're useful. Fuse, fuse, fuse. They do not gain experience, they do not learn new spells.
  • Based on your actions in the game you will affect your alignment and the ending. You can tell what your alignment is based on the direction your icon spins on the world map (clockwise = Law, counterclockwise = Chaos, side to side = Neutral).
  • If you are aiming for the Neutral alignment, which allows you to summon both Chaos and Law demons, basic advice is to say no to everyone and fight em.
  • Atlus has an initial walkthrough here for the first 20 minutes in case you can't figure out where to go.
  • Here's a detailed demon compendium and fusion guide.

KW7i1bp.png

Thanks to BlackJace for the banners, cj_iwakura for the Story and Characters section, Aeana for the thread format, Red the Hunter and Aeana for beginner tips and RPGSite and HG101 for images.

Everyone please enjoy this game! It's already one of my favorites and it's a miracle it's getting released here so let's all have fun with it.​

Aeana

I can't believe it's finally happening. I really hope people who are playing it for the first time like it. Just don't expect a game as advanced as SMT3 or 4 and you should have a pretty good time.

Not paying $8 for a rom dump with on-screen d-pad.. I'd love to see this remastered on button hardware though.

Is it just a rom dump? Looks like it.

Aeana

Another thing I'd like to say to new players is that MAG management is not as big of an issue as it seems. Raise intelligence on your main character and you should very easily be able to negotiate with most demons for a sizeable amount of MAG. That said, do follow the advice about not keeping your best MAG-hungry demons summoned all the time while walking around, because it will indeed sap you quickly.

Not paying $8 for a rom dump with on-screen d-pad.. I'd love to see this remastered on button hardware though.

Is it just a rom dump? Looks like it.

No, it has new features not found in any other release, including the demon compendium. It's based on the GBA version, but it has the PSX version's music too.

Tizoc

Hopefully this gets released in my region, so I could play it on my iPad at least.

I can't view all the images in the OP, but if it's OK to ask, the original Megami tensei 1 and 2 are different to this game, setting wise correct? Those games are closer to the books/Novels?

Aeana

Hopefully this gets released in my region, so I could play it on my iPad at least.

I can't view all the images in the OP, but if it's OK to ask, the original Megami tensei 1 and 2 are different to this game, setting wise correct? Those games are closer to the books/Novels?
Yes, Megami Tensei 1 and 2 are based on the novels, Shin Megami Tensei uses the basic concept and creates something new.

SJS

Excellent OT, OP. I think I'm going to replay SMT1 so I can help people out with it once I convince them to buy this classic.

...And maybe talk about it on GAF too. Just maybe.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I hope my old iTouch can run this. I'm really hyped for the release, especially if it means even the slightest chance of officially localized versions of II and If...

I can't believe it's finally happening. I really hope people who are playing it for the first time like it. Just don't expect a game as advanced as SMT3 or 4 and you should have a pretty good time.

Man oh man I am so excited. It is also a version that was never translated and has extra stuff that is not in the SNES version!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
People had better buy this. It's a really awesome game. PS: Charm is the best. I hope people use it as much as I love to.

I really like how this version looks, too. Nice battle/menu UI and everything.

Hah, will this come to Europe? :(

Not port begging but Android or iOS only?

The US release seems to be iOS only so far. As for chances of an Android release in the West, the signs are mixed. On the plus side, the Japanese versions of SMT1 and SMT2 do exist on the Google Play Store (With English descriptions for some reason, even though the games themselves are Japanese-only). On the other hand, neither app has been updated since last July, so it's unclear on whether they still work with modern devices (EDIT: Also, their last remake, SMT If..., is iOS-only in Japan).

Tizoc

Yes, Megami Tensei 1 and 2 are based on the novels, Shin Megami Tensei uses the basic concept and creates something new.

Alright thanks. Is it posisble to make a US iTunes account even if you're not in the US?

Baust

I'm really excited for this. I've only played Nocturne and SMTIV and loved both of them.

Can't wait to check it out!

randomkid

Don't forget NichM's preferred promotional shot, randomkid.

Bhgy4QiCEAAYTV4.png:medium

I totally had it in the first draft of the thread! Mild OCD prevented me from keeping it in the final edit cuz it didn't match the rest of the horizontal view shots.

By the way, you have free reign to edit and change anything in the OP as you see fit you know, especially the tips section. I got sick of looking at it.

Thoraxes

Ahh I need to grab an iTunes card for this and 999 this week.

So fucking good this week!

Been dying for some more things to play on my iPad Air.

bobawesome

itshappening.gif

I probably won't be able to play it for a while due to Steins;Gate, Final Fantasy X HD Collection and 999: The Novel releasing so close to each other but I'm glad that it'll be there waiting for me when I'm ready.

StMeph

I was not expecting this.

My only regret is that I usually play iOS games muted, with no exceptions. Will still play, though.

I was not expecting this.

My only regret is that I usually play iOS games muted, with no exceptions. Will still play, though.
I can't let you do that.

I think our version will be bigger because we have the PS1 OST in ours, and the JPN version got that OST in an update.

I think this game is great, and I am really glad more people will get to play it, but I can't wait till SMT2 comes out so more people get to experiences an early Atlus magnum opus. That game has better balance, more climactic bosses and end bosses, and overall better pacing and gameplay. Also cant wait for the first time ever english SMT If...ATLUS PLS

So, any chance of this coming to Android? None? There better be! I hate mobile gaming and have 0 games on my phone, but I need this! I need SMT1!

Top Bottom