• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei (iOS) |OT| $5.99 until March 31st

wrowa

Off topic, but is the ios version of 999 much better then the ds version?

It's improved in some areas (the new flowchart makes replaying a lot less of a hassle), but worse in others (the removal of all puzzles). Definitely worth $5, but it does feel like it's missing something.

bobawesome

Is there any change? I would likey buy it if so.

Off topic, but is the ios version of 999 much better then the ds version?

Visually? Yes, I think it looks much better (at least from what I've played so far). Gameplay wise...what gameplay? The puzzles have been gutted from this version but it's not *that* big of a deal considering it's only $5 and I assume the story-centric dialogue will be mostly intact for the rooms. It looks to be a steal if you want a refresher for the story but it's best that first-timers stick to the DS version for the puzzles and
a huge plot twist which is heavily dependent on the hardware

SJS

I'm at this game again. Going Law this time because for some reason I don't remember doing this in SMT1. Hope to offer anyone in this topic some tips.

What's this rave about charming now? I thought M16 + Nerve Bullets and Railgun + Flash Slugs were the way to go in earlygame and lategame, respectively.

Chaos Hero looks so cool, Law Hero looks so lame. Guess they set the precedent early.

The Law character is usually the refined effeminate type (and has actually been a woman once), while the Chaos character is a down-to-earth tough guy. So yes, in a sense, there is a "precedent" set by this game.

What's this rave about charming now? I thought M16 + Nerve Bullets and Railgun + Flash Slugs were the way to go in earlygame and lategame, respectively..

This. Nerve Bullets destroy this game, and they are easier than ever to get now that this version doesn't have the SNES fan translation glitch that locks off the gun shop from being accessed early.

Gregorn

sfLEr2E.png

Only iOS for now, although there's an Android port in Japan. I hope Atlus USA releases it too so I can support this!

What the hell? Why do we get this but not Strange Journey and SMT4? I don't think Persona 5 has even been officially announced for Europe yet either.

I want to buy it just so it might increases the chances of us getting SMT4.

randomkid

For those who are interested in more SMT1 art, here's an imgur gallery I had uploaded for BlackJace when he was making those sweet banners. There's a bunch of random pics in there that don't usually show up in Wikia or the HG101 article, including one of Gotou I think would make for a good reaction image.

http://imgur.com/a/y8u4e/layout/vertical#0

SJS

Ah, the stats distribution setup. I did some thinking about this and fiddled with the numbers to get what I *think* would be ideal stats, based on my previous experience and the upgrade threshold for various stats.

Feel free to use / criticize, GAF.

MAIN CHARACTER

2k0t.png

This build has two goals: get the MC through the beginning of the game, and prepare him to be adaptively well-rounded for the rest of the game. To achieve the first goal, I gave him +3 STR because he won't get any guns for a while (guns are your main way to attack, if you don't understand by now). For long term success, I will focus heavily on STM to increase survivability and give him incremental boosts in INT / SPD / LUK so that he can keep pace with the enemies in this game.

LAW HERO

lfyo.png

Law Hero is the best spell user until you find the Heroine. He deals in guns and spells. Again, you can see that I am focusing on STM to increase survivability; but with this set, I transfer a great deal of points to MAG and give him a statistically optimal boost in INT as well so that he can cast stuff; he gets his MP boosted from this.

CHAOS HERO

bqt3.png

Economically, I remember there being a consistent issue with giving everyone guns early on. I also remember that Chaos Hero's spells suck. Essentially, then, the best way to use Chaos Hero is as a physical attacker. I've given him a slight boost in INT / MAG / LUK so that he isn't totally useless in those departments (and gets some ideal stat boosts), but I mostly invest in STM / STR so that he can slap people around.

I don't picture the Heroine here because you don't set her up in the beginning, but generally, she should have a build similar to Law Hero's because she is a spellcaster and gun user.

randomkid

Release: March 18, 2013 (iOS)

Whoops, good catch!

Edit: And yeah, I like to focus on strength at the very beginning too since you get a decent amount of HP boosting with it too if I recall. I also like speed to make sure I always get the jump on enemies to manage damage taken.

wrowa

What the hell? Why do we get this but not Strange Journey and SMT4? I don't think Persona 5 has even been officially announced for Europe yet either.

Because releasing a title digitally is a lot easier than finding someone who is willing to publish a physical version of the game? There are next to no games on the App Store that are only available in the US and not in Europe or vice versa.

Aeana

Nerve bullets are fine, but charm is the king status effect in SMT1. It even works on most bosses in the game. Once charmed, they will attack themselves or allies for 4 turns.

Sometimes for regular battles you might opt for something else, like Medusa bullets, but charm is so good. Marin Karin, sexy dance, charm bullets. So good.

SJS

Is the popular opinion that this game would hold up and be worth playing for the first time in 2014?

It's "dated". But in the awesome, nostalgia-laden, stat-focused, mechanically complex, and challenging way.

It's not for everyone, but if you love an old school RPG experience and want a storyline that isn't really shared or replicated by any other game series (as well as a ton of replay value from multiple story paths), you will become addicted instantly.

The problem with SMT1 in particular (not even SMT2 has this issue) is that you aren't really told what to do at some points and may need to consult a FAQ. If you can handle that, I'd say that even if you're bad at this kind of RPG, it's survivable.

I'm worried about the impact of the story. What I mean is, not having been localized I've read plot synopsis of SMTI namely that the
US ambassador is actually a demon who trigger a nuclear war.
Is there a lot more in the plot that can still have a good impact with lots of twists and surprised?

I'm worried about the impact of the story. What I mean is, not having been localized I've read plot synopsis of SMTI namely that the
Is there a lot more in the plot that can still have a good impact with lots of twists and surprised?

that is only like the first 30 minutes of the game, you are good

BlackJace

Is the popular opinion that this game would hold up and be worth playing for the first time in 2014?

It's oooooooooold -1992 y'all-, a lot of its mechanics are outdated. Whatever you do, don't go into this expecting the efficiency of modern SMT games.

Go in expecting a challenging, but rewarding game that started it all!

Jockel

SO interested to play this, but not without buttons.
I'd gladly pay Atlus for the GBA ROM which seems to be running under the hood here.

BlackJace

Eh, the lack of buttons don't really bother me for these type of games. RPGs in particular are heavily menu driven, so a lot of it just selecting stuff, which touchscreen interaction lends itself nicely to.

Nothing requires split second timing or complex inputs, I imagine.

SJS

The Aeon Genesis translation, and really, any footage of the game whatsoever makes this very clear, yes.
Although it's not really a "war", just a total wasting of Tokyo.

I'd say that it's a main plot point for sure, but there's more depth to the story. The actual occurrence of that plot event as well as its aftermath will amaze you and make you wonder how they were possible to code in 1992.

wrowa

Eh, the lack of buttons don't really bother me for these type of games. RPGs in particular are heavily menu driven, so a lot of it just selecting stuff, which touchscreen interaction lends itself nicely to.

Nothing requires split second timing or complex inputs, I imagine.

Lack of buttons is not really a problem, but I personally really hate those button graphics that get in the way of half of the gameplay. It just looks so ugly. But, well, what can you do.

NichM

Banned
Lack of buttons is not really a problem, but I personally really hate those button graphics that get in the way of half the graphics. It just looks so ugly. But, well, what can you do.

You can play in portrait mode, where the "screen" space isn't obscured.

Aeana

Exciting! I wonder if I should update to iOS 7.1 or not beforehand, hopefully there isn't some kinda compatibility thing that pops up.

Also added a little edit to the OP about portrait view.

I sure hope it doesn't require 7.1, because the Japanese release only requires 4.2 or 4.3, around there. I've kept my iPad 2 on iOS 5 because the later versions are slower on the iPad 2. I'd update to play this but I wouldn't be happy about it.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I sure hope it doesn't require 7.1, because the Japanese release only requires 4.2 or 4.3, around there. I've kept my iPad 2 on iOS 5 because the later versions are slower on the iPad 2. I'd update to play this but I wouldn't be happy about it.

It only requires iOS 4.3 (or greater)!

Top Bottom