• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei (iOS) |OT| $5.99 until March 31st

wrowa

First impression: Playing the game in portrait mode feels like you are using an old-fashioned sci-fi Gameboy. That's surprisingly cool.

Second impression: Somehow I can't get landscape mode working. The screen won't rotate when I rotate my phone and I can't find an option to rotate the screen in-game either... Is it bugged?

By the by, I believe this has one of the best plots in SMT. Not necessarily casts, but plots. So many crazy things happen.

I really dig this art:
I remember your taste for growlanser wayfarer of time(played it and loved it) and as a result trust your judgement on this. The plot is the main reason I want to play this, the description I read a while back on wiki got me so hyped and only to find out I couldn't play it in English thankfully that will be remedied tomorrow:D

redhood56

Banned
I have so much to play on ios now, aa2+3, 999(I already played the ds version), device 6, and now this. I'll pick it up tomorrow most likely.

Protag

Banned
Chaos Hero looks so cool, Law Hero looks so lame. Guess they set the precedent early.

I love all of their Kaneko designs, really like the simplicity of law heros outfit.

What are the average hours on this. Just story, and sidequests (if there are any)

Will buy because its the original, and i want to play II because the story synopsis i read of it sounds awesome.

Edit:also, is there ANY way i can get a poster of the kaneko art for the ps1 port? The first one that is in the collection of pics

That poster is siiiccckk

NichM

Banned
Second impression: Somehow I can't get landscape mode working. The screen won't rotate when I rotate my phone and I can't find an option to rotate the screen in-game either... Is it bugged?

You don't have the screen rotation locked, do you?

Semajer

I was already going to buy this, but £4 makes it an even easier decision. Now we see if SMT 2 and If... get released in Europe before IV does.

wrowa

You don't have the screen rotation locked, do you?

I thought so too at first, but it's not locked. Rotating the screen also works in every other app, it's just SMT where it fails to do so. Not a huge deal, since portrait mode seems to work really, really well with this game and I'm not sure if I actually want to stretch the GBA graphics to landscape size. Still a little weird, though.

(I'm on an iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1 btw)

Semajer

I thought so too at first, but it's not locked. Rotating the screen also works in every other app, it's just SMT where it fails to do so. Not a huge deal, since portrait mode seems to work really, really well with this game and I'm not sure if I actually want to stretch the GBA graphics to landscape size. Still a little weird, though.

(I'm on an iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1 btw)

It says in the instructions. Tap the screen to switch between modes.

wrowa

It says in the instructions. Tap the screen to switch between modes.

Oh, okay. That works! What a weird way to change the screen orientation, though. I dismissed the info button as soon as I clicked it and a Safari window popped up - thought it would just redirect to Atlus.com. Instead, it leads to an actual manual on their website. That's kinda neat -- I can't remember that I've seen iOS games with manuals in the past.

http://atlus.com/smti/manual/

randomkid

I really really love the plot of this game. Someone in the community thread I think remarked once how the progression is so well thought out, going from a neighborhood mystery to city turf wars to ideological political battling to an eventual struggle between heaven and hell, with interesting parallels drawn at each stage. I can't wait to see how the mystery items and a new translation flesh things out.

INSERT INTENSIFYING EXCITEMENT MEME

Absolutely getting this asap. I feel like I've been wanting to play this game for forever. Really excited about finally being able to. Kinda weird its coming out on iOS but hopefully the controls aren't bad. I have a strong desire to play every SMT-related game I can that's available in English, I still have a long ways to go but it's been really enjoyable so far. Can't get enough of the atmosphere and occult/cyberpunk settings.

D9wn5iF.png

Thanks Coldman!

wrowa

Absolutely getting this asap. I feel like I've been wanting to play this game for forever. Really excited about finally being able to. Kinda weird its coming out on iOS but hopefully the controls aren't bad. I have a strong desire to play every SMT-related game I can that's available in English, I still have a long ways to go but it's been really enjoyable so far. Can't get enough of the atmosphere and occult/cyberpunk settings.

Controls are flawless.

What's the minimum iOS version that's required for this?

Aeana

Aeana, how many hours am i lookin at for SMT I, and for that matter, whats SMT II's game time look like?

Are there sidequests in either?
Last time I played SMT1, I finished it in 14 hours, and last time I played SMT2, it took about 15. I'd add at least 10 hours to those times for a first-time play though. And yeah there are a couple of sidequests for equipment.

Aexact

Last time I played SMT1, I finished it in 14 hours, and last time I played SMT2, it took about 15. I'd add at least 10 hours to those times for a first-time play though. And yeah there are a couple of sidequests for equipment.
So if you're an expert at the game, you can breeze through in 14 hours? I assume there's no NG+ so if you want to see the different paths, you'll need to start fresh? Based on what I played of SMTIV (only one I've played), alignment is an ongoing process so it's not one of those things you can make multiple saves for to see the other routes, huh.

Man, everyone's hype is infectious but I already found Persona 2:IS uncomfortably dated and this one is even older.
... But limited time sale!

cj_iwakura

So if you're an expert at the game, you can breeze through in 14 hours? I assume there's no NG+ so if you want to see the different paths, you'll need to start fresh? Based on what I played of SMTIV (only one I've played), alignment is an ongoing process so it's not one of those things you can make multiple saves for to see the other routes, huh.

Man, everyone's hype is infectious but I already found Persona 2:IS uncomfortably dated and this one is even older.
... But limited time sale!

It took me a LOT longer, but I explored just about every inch of a dungeon.
(And I was also doing a simultaneous screenshot lets play, so yeah.)

This will be interesting to finally play.

Did you not read the OP?

I did read it, but missed the important bits.

This version of the game is a port of the GBA remake which includes revamped background and map art, interface and usability fixes to make the game much more fun to play, and extra story content to flesh things out. The iOS version also includes the PSX soundtrack.

Not just SMT1 related but I did want to publicly thank Aeana and cj_iwakura for their invaluable input in every SMT-related thread I have ever read on NeoGAF. Their enthusiasm, helpful comments/suggestions, news, and insights have helped me get excited about getting into SMT before I even became a member of these forums and I just wanted to thank them. There are others on these forums that should be mentioned as well but Aeana and cj stand out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sweet, it's out on the BR store. I was planning on waiting for a sale but a release date discount works just as well!

Top Bottom