• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei (iOS) |OT| $5.99 until March 31st

randomkid

yeah the game is pretty damn blurry on my mini, even in portrait mode, but I guess it can't be helped. Technically I'm more annoyed with the occasional sound issues.

The game itself is so damn fun though, I forgot how much I cherished replaying RPGs. I find it very easy to spend hours pretty comfortably pecking away at the tablet in my lap without even realizing it.

Baust

So I accidentally just fused a Slime. Is there a point to keeping one of these around? It doesn't seem like it can fuse into anything useful at all.

Eusis

So I accidentally just fused a Slime. Is there a point to keeping one of these around? It doesn't seem like it can fuse into anything useful at all.
Grab some fusion fodder quickly and fuse it away with that into something that might be a useful component later?

Though sometimes at least in later games it seems you simply can't win.

Max

I am not Max
always been interested in this game and i'm really close to picking it up to play on my ipod touch but i have no experience with those on-screen controls, what are they like?

Protag

Banned
I have a question -

flynn is supposed to be the rein carnation of SMT I protag only? Or all three protags from I II and Nocturne? Can someone clarify?

cj_iwakura

I have a question -

flynn is supposed to be the rein carnation of SMT I protag only? Or all three protags from I II and Nocturne? Can someone clarify?

That's just speculation. The only real popular theory is that(Nocturne/II spoilers)
Hijiri is a reincarnation of Aleph.

Vamphuntr

Anyone has a link to a good website for advanced fusion rules or a complete compendium I've found this which is about Dark demons fusions but I'm wondering if there's a better one.

Protag

Banned
That's just speculation. The only real popular theory is that(Nocturne/II spoilers)
Hijiri is a reincarnation of Aleph.

Got you.

It just that i saw that siliconera article and the writer mentioned that the translators intenionally kept the place where the protag is from (kichijoji) the same name and spelling as it is in IV.

Not only that its just small similarities that i notice.

It would be quite awesome if this was the case

randomkid

I actually made a compendium and fusing guide myself a while back. I made them when I was playing the SNES version though, so some demons from this new version might be missing. Also, I was basing it off of the fan translation, so some demon and spell names might be different too. The fusing guide should still be accurate unless they changed the formulas that the SNES version of the game used.

SMT 1 Compendium

SMT 1 Fusion Guide

Wow this is great, I'll link in the OP.

I wish this game had a fission calculator though like other Megatens. I really want to fuse a Megami Kushinada-Hime since I don't want to wait 5 more levels to get Estoma from Orthros like I did last game.

The frustrating part is that I had some combo of demons early on that would fuse her and now I can't remember what they were.

Link1110

-When talking to female demons, your MAG stat will act kind of like Charisma. When you have low MAG, it will be a lot harder to negotiate with female demons. Also, sometimes you will get an option to glare at them and if you have high enough MAG, you will actually charm them! Of course, no one ever puts points into MAG in this game, so most people never can get this to work. MAG also acts like a hidden Magic Defense stat. I've beaten the game without putting a single point into MAG though, so who knows how useful this would really be.
Don't you have to have 10 mag at some point or is that only smt2? I remember it being in both 1 and 2 I think.

randomkid

Rusalka (Fairy, lv 18) x Bucca Boo(Jirae, lv 19) x Kelpie (Fairy, lv 23) = Kushinada (Megami, lv 28)

This worked just fine! Two fairies and a Jirae, I was so close. And sweet merciful Lucifer, I can finally roam the world map again in peace, THAT was the insane encounter rate I remembered.

Also good looking out on all that skill check trivia, I love when developers bury stuff like this in games.

Protag

Banned
Where can i get a good gun for my MC?

Law and chaos heros will be leaving my partyy soon and i need a gun, things are about to get harder

JKTrix

I've only just gotten the Chaos hero, but as soon as I noticed they had guns I just unequipped them and put them on my main hero.

Protag

Banned
I've only just gotten the Chaos hero, but as soon as I noticed they had guns I just unequipped them and put them on my main hero.

I just tried this, my MC can equip a gun, but he cannot use it (beretta 92F)

Why is this the case? And any good place i can get a gun for him?

Sakwoff

Haaha i knew i was forgetting something

Where can i get bullets in shinjuku? There are no shops underground that sell guns and bullets to my knowledge

You are right, there are not.

Either you go back to
the antiquities dealer in Kichijoji (take the terminal)
or you'll have to progress a bit further.

Also: always go for guns that hit multiple enemies. Trust me.

Protag

Banned
You are right, there are not.

Either you go back to
the antiquities dealer in Kichijoji (take the terminal)
or you'll have to progress a bit further.

Also: always go for guns that hit multiple enemies. Trust me.

Will do b, thanks

Vamphuntr

Thank you for your great compendium, Arcia!

Is it possible to recover from Law to Neutral simply by exploiting the Tokyo Destiny Land minigame?. I kind of screwed at Ikebukero and got shifted from Neutral to Law. I'm at Ueno right now for
the golden apple
. First time I beat the game on SFC I went chaos but I'm trying to get Neutral now T.T

Vamphuntr

Game status : Broken Difficulty Wise

m7kj9rF.png
Z3lbwKZ.png

EDIT : As you can see it's a usual Atlus localization :) second ATK should be ACC. Here some more I found :

Text problem :
De21Ojx.png
ZY7TFky.png

Empty dialog box stuck over the UI
GRUcXfj.png

Vamphuntr

Am I the only one in here still playing this T.T

I'm stuck badly. I'm at the end after
the flood
. The Law and Chaos heroes ask me to check outside to see what is happening and I went out through the two different exits of the Basilica and also back through the Ginza tunnel and when I go back to them nothing is happening. I also have the turtle too.

Vamphuntr

Did you try going into the water on the turtle?
After that, try talking to them again and they should have more dialogue.

I eventually got it. It seems I had to
inspect a building to get the text box showing Tokyo was flooded

Beat the game.

The GBA version is much nicer than the SFC version. Having the map easily available at the press of a button instead of having to navigate a bunch of menus is a huge improvement. I also liked they somehow got rid of the dark rooms. Well, they are still there but you can clearly see through them now. They were really annoying in the original.

Overall the game was really easy. Don't believe people that say this game is hard. I think I Zio/Bufu locked 75% of the bosses into oblivion. Ended the game with more than 80 000 Mag remaining. I had lot of fun with it. Most annoying part in my run was Destinyland. I think I triggered all the luck traps. That will teach me for not putting points into luck early on. I got stuck with status effects that I didn't even know were in the game like "frog". I had to pay more than 30k macca to get them removed haha.

Hopefully we get an English version of SMT II and IF. Never played IF before too so I would be interested. Hoping the game is selling well on the App store so we can get the others.

Protag

Banned
I eventually got it. It seems I had to
inspect a building to get the text box showing Tokyo was flooded

Beat the game.

The GBA version is much nicer than the SFC version. Having the map easily available at the press of a button instead of having to navigate a bunch of menus is a huge improvement. I also liked they somehow got rid of the dark rooms. Well, they are still there but you can clearly see through them now. They were really annoying in the original.

Overall the game was really easy. Don't believe people that say this game is hard. I think I Zio/Bufu locked 75% of the bosses into oblivion. Ended the game with more than 80 000 Mag remaining. I had lot of fun with it. Most annoying part in my run was Destinyland. I think I triggered all the luck traps. That will teach me for not putting points into luck early on. I got stuck with status effects that I didn't even know were in the game like "frog". I had to pay more than 30k macca to get them removed haha.

Hopefully we get an English version of SMT II and IF. Never played IF before too so I would be interested. Hoping the game is selling well on the App store so we can get the others.

How many hours did you put into it?

Picked it up the very day it came on the App Store. Hell, it was also my birthday so yay. I haven't gotten very far, I'm lost and I just got to Shinjuku. I'm just walking around hoping to trigger an event to help me progress.
I've enjoyed what I've played but I bought it mainly with the purpose of hopefully getting more translations of these older SMT games. Maybe IF and 2 seeing as they are already sitting there.

Also because I live in Europe and I'm not allowed SMTIV

Gah, I'm stuck in the final area (
Basilica
) and the last thing I was told was to clear out all the demons in the area.
I've explored both above and ground floors completely and everytime I try to go to the central chamber to ascend, it says the doors are sealed.
If it helps, every time i try to enter the dungeon on the law side it says "no one seems to be here" and turns me around.

Aexact

Don't think I'm super far in the game, close to reaching level 30 right when our three intrepid heroes emerged into
ruined Tokyo
. Reverse nostalgia for SMTIV, which was the only other SMT I played before this SMT1. For me, that aspect is super neat.

And suddenly the game turned into old school survival horror. The encounter rate seems to have gone way way up, harpy enemies are faster then I can comfortably run away from and spawn in groups of 5+, negotiation deals falling through are disastrous.
The voice every full moon
plicking away at my hero's health was almost a non-issue in comparison.

Thought I was going to die.
I did die a couple times, thought I was going to get stuck because I wouldn't have the resources or strength to avoid fighting. Couldn't figure out how to enter the yellow buildings, failed the first time and figured they were part of the background. Wandered fruitlessly, down to my last two demons, Law hero dead, everyone out of MP until I finally discovered I could enter the yellow Shibuya building.

Geez. That was heart-stopping.
Also, those
Messians are jerks, attempting to negotiate with them and they keep asking for donations right after all my Yen was deemed toilet paper. Then they get huffy and attack when I say no, Gaeans are much more reasonable.

brinstar

I'm surprised and impressed by how well this holds up. I'm sure a lot of that is due to the additions to the GBA version, but once I figured out what was where I've been cruising through this just like the later titles. I'm really enjoying it. Also, it's cool seeing where SMT4 took some of its music cues, like the demon negotiations theme. I grinned when I activated the first terminal and the music kicked in.

randomkid

Don't think I'm super far in the game, close to reaching level 30 right when our three intrepid heroes emerged into
ruined Tokyo
. Reverse nostalgia for SMTIV, which was the only other SMT I played before this SMT1. For me, that aspect is super neat.

And suddenly the game turned into old school survival horror. The encounter rate seems to have gone way way up, harpy enemies are faster then I can comfortably run away from and spawn in groups of 5+, negotiation deals falling through are disastrous.
The voice every full moon
plicking away at my hero's health was almost a non-issue in comparison.

Thought I was going to die.
I did die a couple times, thought I was going to get stuck because I wouldn't have the resources or strength to avoid fighting. Couldn't figure out how to enter the yellow buildings, failed the first time and figured they were part of the background. Wandered fruitlessly, down to my last two demons, Law hero dead, everyone out of MP until I finally discovered I could enter the yellow Shibuya building.

Geez. That was heart-stopping.
Also, those
Messians are jerks, attempting to negotiate with them and they keep asking for donations right after all my Yen was deemed toilet paper. Then they get huffy and attack when I say no, Gaeans are much more reasonable.

This is a really nice post and I would agree that SMT1's stronger horror elements (both survival and old-fashioned weirdness) really resonated with me, I think it's another reason why I link it more with SMT3.

I actually beat the game a little while ago, 30 hours, with a decent bit of time wandering around backtracking and looking for visionary items. I seem to have missed a bunch according to this but I don't know what Google Translate means by "After Clearing" since I don't think this game has a new game plus?

BlackJace

This is a really nice post and I would agree that SMT1's stronger horror elements (both survival and old-fashioned weirdness) really resonated with me, I think it's another reason why I link it more with SMT3.

I actually beat the game a little while ago, 30 hours, with a decent bit of time wandering around backtracking and looking for visionary items. I seem to have missed a bunch according to this but I don't know what Google Translate means by "After Clearing" since I don't think this game has a new game plus?

I think I owe you another banner....

Top Bottom