• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei (iOS) |OT| $5.99 until March 31st

cj_iwakura

A cursory look on Metacritic shows IS got a 75, which isn't too bad even if it pales compared to most of the other MegaTen releases. Funny how GameSpot hosts almost polar extreme opposite views though with the import PS1 review then the PSP review.

I once pointed out that RPGFan did that, too.

Ourobolus

Banned
All right, finally got my INT up to 11 and managed to get some guys and steamroll Orias (not that he was terribly difficult to begin with). Managed to collect a few spiked rods to sell for some Guns, so that's helped a bunch. Some enemy dropped a Fake Sword at one point...I'm debating if it's worth it to grind out some more rods to get better guns?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've opened up the second area but I'm not sure what to do now. American soldiers have many areas locked down and someone in a cafe told me I could find the girl in a disco. But I can't find the disco.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Game isn't excactly holding my hand. Feel a bit in the dark initially tbh

randomkid

Game isn't excactly holding my hand. Feel a bit in the dark initially tbh

Try giving the manual a quick read (press the i info button) and then read the beginner tips in the OP. A bunch of folks in this thread have also been giving people advice as they go if you want more help.

Having played a decent chunk of the game (heading to the embassy) I can say now that the encounter rate has been reduced quite a bit from the Super Famicom version. Walking all the way down a Shinjuku hallway used to be an epic journey of dread and now it's perfectly manageable.

jorgeton

Picked this up on the Ipad. Excellent, as expected. A little obtuse though. Soundtrack catchy and atmospheric, and I kind of like how rundown the game is graphically. Adds to the end-of-the-world feel.

When Cerberus ran out on me early on, I almost reloaded my save. I checked a FAQ and read that's supposed to happen. Phew.

Gonna keep that FAQ handy next time I get stumped. I'm all for figuring things out organically, but nowadays if something takes me more than 30-45 mins to figure out, its google time.

I'm actually impressed at this game. Besides the first person dungeon crawling being a bit on the odd side, it's holding up and more polished than I'd expect. It's about as fun as Strange Journey or IV really, and simpler.

randomkid

So are there any resources on how to keep track of missable visionary items? I just completed the first major arc of the game and it occurred to me that there might have been some places I should have checked for new visionary items before beating all the bosses.

SMT2 is good, but IMO the plot isn't as good as SMT1's. The gameplay is great, though. And far less broken.

I'm still pretty early but is there much of a plot? I mean things just happen with very little explanation or dialogue. For example;
MC's mom was eaten by a demon and there's very little impact, or even just how demons just start showing up and nobody reacts.

I'm still enjoying the game.

Aeana

I'm still pretty early but is there much of a plot? I mean things just happen with very little explanation or dialogue. For example;
MC's mom was eaten by a demon and there's very little impact, or even just how demons just start showing up and nobody reacts.

The impact is supposed to be whatever you feel. There is plenty of plot in the game, but very little exposition. Nobody tells you how to feel, which is a good thing because you can decide different paths.

The impact is supposed to be whatever you feel. There is plenty of plot in the game, but very little exposition. Nobody tells you how to feel, which is a good thing because you can decide different paths.

That's the word I was looking for: exposition. I guess I'm used to plenty in modern SMT and Persona games. Still digging the game, more than I thought I would.

Well apparently my 3 Gen iTouch is too old to run this game... What's the oldest gen iTouch that is capable of running this game? I don't want to spend a lot of money on an iPod/pad just to play this game but I might splurge on a high GB older model to keep in my car.

cj_iwakura

It hasn't really begun yet. I'm glad you're enjoying it, though.

SJS

The game hasn't given you any decisions yet. The first one is after Shinjuku.

nfbackstory

Neo Member
Oh man, I love the idea of porting over older SMT games to different platformers. I dream of a Steam pack of SMT games one day. C'mon Sega!

SJS

So, out of curiosity (spoilers if you haven't reached Kongokai):

I tried to speedrun the nuke scene and glitch the game by getting outside before the countdown stopped. (Un)fortunately, there's no glitch because the game code sets off the nuke if you leave the American embassy. It's just amazing how well coded this game is.

cj_iwakura

I tried to speedrun the nuke scene and glitch the game by getting outside before the countdown stopped. (Un)fortunately, there's no glitch because the game code sets off the nuke if you leave the American embassy. It's just amazing how well coded this game is.

Couldn't do that in the fan translation either.

Speaking of which, one key difference I noticed so far:

77.jpg

The man's death isn't described in this version. Maybe that's how it was originally?

randomkid

Ha what is it about that scene that makes us all wanna try this? I could never make it in time in the Super Famicom version but had plenty of time to spare in this one thanks to remembering b for dashing.

cj_iwakura

I assume these items are for vision quests, like the one I got from Douman and prior to the Echo Building?

How are they used?

I am having no luck with negotiation. I hope some Int helps.

BlackJace

I assume these items are for vision quests, like the one I got from Douman and prior to the Echo Building?

How are they used?

These demons have some sharp tongues, goddamn. My feelings have been shat on countless times during negotiations.

Aeana

How are they used?

You use them via the A-DDS option on the title screen.

wrowa

The game's suprisingly easy so far compared to other (more recent) SMT titles. The lack of a compendium is really annoying, though, and makes demon fusioning a lot less fun.

Protag

Banned
I would love to fuse pascal with a demon to get cerberus, but i cant help but feel sick at the thought of fusing him with a demon

Maybe its because i love my dog a lot

I see you SMT I, playing on my morals

Vamphuntr

I'm mostly playing when I have time in the bus and during breaks at work and I'm pretty far in. I beat the SFC version before but negotiations fail much more than I remembered. They actually fail most of the time and I have 17 INT right now. Strangely, I seem catch demons by surprise most of the time even if my luck is really low.

FSLink

Banned
$5.99 until Mar 31st eh? Hm, maybe I'll grab. I'd rather wait for an Android version since that's my primary phone OS at the moment but it sounds like it's not too likely...I really love SMT1 though so I may just have to double dip if it does come out for Android later.

enoki

It's incredibly exciting to see so many people playing SMT1. I hope everyone's digging it, I'd love to play again with fresh eyes.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Well apparently my 3 Gen iTouch is too old to run this game... What's the oldest gen iTouch that is capable of running this game? I don't want to spend a lot of money on an iPod/pad just to play this game but I might splurge on a high GB older model to keep in my car.

My 32gb 3rd generation iTouch runs the game fine, I'm on system software 4.3.5. That's probably the lowest model that this game will work on.

Top Bottom