• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Aeana

There should be a spoiler thread like there was for VLR, the non-spoiler OT was one of the safest threads I've ever browsed before release.

Perhaps. But people who have played and beaten the Japanese game should also try to be a little more considerate for the majority of people who have not had the opportunity to play the game yet.

Saibastian

Neo Member
Perhaps. But people who have played and beaten the Japanese game should also try to be a little more considerate for the majority of people who have not had the opportunity to play the game yet.
I totally agree with you, but I just meant it so that it might lessen spoilers being in this thread.

Anyone mind explaining how this game plays? And why i, as a Pokemon player, would like it? I see it as an everyday RPG..

Not quite. There's a lot of stuff that differentiates the SMT series from other JRPGs on the market. I'd personally say the biggest things are the press turn system (SMT's gameplay system that can sometimes make battles feel like combat puzzles), demon summoning and negotiation, and demon fusion. Imagine a Pokemon game where you negotiate with Pokemon to catch them, you fight alongside three of them, and you can fuse them to get stronger Pokemon later on. Combine that with sci-fi/cyberpunk/occult themes and a dark atmosphere and you should have an idea of what you're in for.

Draconian

Preordered my copy back in April. I'm really excited for this. I think it's coming out at the perfect time too because there's nothing else I really want to play coming out around it.

linko9

Yo if you read the Greek letters around the character portraits NSWE it says pwn'd, just saying. Atlus is a 10 year old from the year 2000 confirmed.

Preordered my copy back in April. I'm really excited for this. I think it's coming out at the perfect time too because there's nothing else I really want to play coming out around it.

I agree. It's a great title to even out the relatively dry area before the fall blowout. I'm still excited for Dragon's Crown and Killer is Dead next month, though.

Volcynika

Not quite. There's a lot of stuff that differentiates the SMT series from other JRPGs on the market. I'd personally say the biggest things are the press turn system (SMT's gameplay system that can sometimes make battles feel like combat puzzles), demon summoning and negotiation, and demon fusion. Imagine a Pokemon game where you negotiate with Pokemon to catch them, you fight alongside three of them, and you can fuse them to get stronger Pokemon later on. Combine that with sci-fi/cyberpunk/occult themes and a dark atmosphere and you should have an idea of what you're in for.

Keep in mind that the press turn part wasn't introduced until Nocturne! :p

So no creative subtitle for this OT?

I am ex-TREMELY picky about subtitles. And I couldn't ever decide on one I'd be ok with. I know I suck :(

May get a mod to change it later on if I decide on one.

cj_iwakura

I was hit by one spoiler, but I guess it wasn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, my own fault for giving into 'click here if you want to see this'.

Anyone mind explaining how this game plays? And why i, as a Pokemon player, would like it? I see it as an everyday RPG..

It has few elements in common with Pokemon. There's really no "monster training" element to the gameplay. You recruit new demons and then fuse them as soon as they're obsolete, leaving little room to grow attached. SMT is a dungeon crawler first and foremost. Everything else sort of takes backseat.

cj_iwakura

How does your alignment affect the gameplay?

Usually affects demon summoning, but I don't think MAG exists in IV though(just like it didn't in III), so it probably doesn't affect it.

So the most important question, will SMT IV have any...

iSS0ea4YYQ37q.gif
iizfNlDH0tp9m.gif
iSS0ea4YYQ37q.gif

What happens to the "limited" "pre-order only" editions after the game is released? Do they just keep selling them until stock runs out?

I preordered one months ago, but I'm thinking about buying a digital copy and hanging on to the limited edition.

What happens to the "limited" "pre-order only" editions after the game is released? Do they just keep selling them until stock runs out?

I preordered one months ago, but I'm thinking about buying a digital copy and hanging on to the limited edition.

It's all of the first print, so yeah. You don't even gotta preorder.

That's pretty useless.

Actually it's really fucking useful.

Macca prices get ridiculous, and if you're in a place you didn't save recently at/bump into a boss you weren't expecting (happens a lot), being able to use coins is a quick and effective way to get back in the game.

Despera

Banned
Was going through my club nintendo history and saw that expired survey while scrolling down. Thought I was out of luck for a sec, then I scrolled up :D

Still though, those are 40 pts gone down the shitter

Awesome. I'll be getting SMT IV and $30 bucks next Tuesday. That's a perfect day. Preordered it not long after the release day was announced (Paid in Full with Gamestop credit).

GeekyDad

Been watching a little more relatively early gameplay (I lack all self control), and I have to say, most of the sprites look better than expected. There are definitely some weather-worn demons in toe, but most of them seem to have been touched up quite nicely, and some of the new ones are really cool-looking.

TEJ

My preorder is almost paid off. That, and getting 30 bucks of e-shop credit for also purchasing and registering fire emblem awakening and the bonus stuff fully justifies the 50+ tax I will spend on this.

Meia

Whoa wait, the game costs 50 bucks? Is that for the limited edition or just the game?

The game's MSRP is $50.

For the one that keeps asking about why Pokemon comparison, a lot of the gameplay boils down to attacking an enemy's weakness, while getting new demons with stronger abilities and with their own strengths/weaknesses, and keeping on top of what you have vs what you're facing is important if you want to actually survive the game.

Cody_D165

Banned
Whoa wait, the game costs 50 bucks? Is that for the limited edition or just the game?

It's 50. All launch copies of the game are limited editions. After that shipment there will only be standard editions. Whether or not they will also be $50 remains to be seen.

There are so many more things you don't know though. The story is very complex, with a lot more reveals.

Just pointing out that my original post didn't really include a spoiler and when I did post an actual spoiler, in spoiler tags, that turned out shitty for perorist and podracer. Sorry for that.

The post with the actual spoiler was deleted by a mod.
Don't worry about it, at least for me. Getting spoiled is regrettable, but thankfully I have almost forgotten the name of the person you referenced in the spoiler.
i just remember it being someone on the good side? Hmmmm....
if anything, it's piqued my interest and will get my imagination rolling.

I also second the request for a separate spoiler topic for discussion and the like. Topics with walls of black bars are dangerous... I've seen misquoted posts and so many unmarked spoilers in the VLR OT, it'd be nice to make sure those don't happen here. :/

Meia

Jesus Chri-

Oh ok, well I hope that versions that only have the game aren't so expensive.

I choose to look at it like this: We're paying $10 more for a better than usual Atlus first print bonus, and by the time those are gone, the MSRP will probably go down anyway. Well, probably. I pre-ordered it on Newegg for $10 cheaper when I had the chance months ago via promotion. :p

Now hopefully it's less "lol dungeon grind" and more story/character oriented than Nocturne so I can finally say I played through a SMT game. :)

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Getting so hyped for this! I've kinda lost the video game mood for a few months and I hope this pulls me back in. Plus it looks like Atlus put a lot of work into this game. I see lots of references and it being a SMT game. I was afraid the overpopularity of Persona would've went to their head, I'm glad its not!

Top Bottom