• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Mupod

So what's the earliest demon with diarama/mediarama? I still haven't fused one and at this point dia/media is really lacking (and making fights harder than they should be).

I've had diarama since forever so I don't remember where I got that, but the first Mediarama user I've gotten was Inti (sun head dude).

What does Luck do?

I think maybe I'll go with a (1/2/0/2/0) and (0/2/0/2/1) build, varying between levels. Although I thought AGI was just how fast you go in comparison to the rest of your team. What else does it do?

Luck increases your critical hit rate, item drop rate, and the success/failure chances of status effects and Hama/Mudo spells. Meaning higher luck means your status/instakill spells have a higher chance of hitting, and enemies' versions have a lower chance of hitting you.

Agility also increases your dodge rate and accuracy, which means it's very, very important in battle since one miss or dodge can completely change the direction of an entire fight. It's also believed - though unconfirmed - that higher AGI decreases the chances enemies have of surprise attacking you if they run into you without you getting the pre-emptive bonus.

Yeah similar thing happened to me. I guess when I bought Fire Emblem, I had not made my Club Nintendo account yet. I bought SMT thinking I'd get the 30 bucks but no dice.

Nintendo's online policies are just fucking insane.

An e-mail to Nintendo's customer service should fix this.

Althane

Luck increases your critical hit rate, item drop rate, and the success/failure chances of status effects and Hama/Mudo spells. Meaning higher luck means your status/instakill spells have a higher chance of hitting, and enemies' versions have a lower chance of hitting you.

Agility also increases your dodge rate and accuracy, which means it's very, very important in battle. It's also believed that it decreases the chances enemies have of surprise attacking you if they run into you without you getting the pre-emptive bonus.

Huh. I though it was either you get the first attack, or they do. (Which didn't seem fair. 40-50 damage to you right away vs. 5-10 damage to them.... yeah, not fair)

Ok. Yeah, I'll go with that (0/2/0/2/1) and (1/2/0/2/0) build.

Busaiku

Yeah, so far it's a race between this and Animal Crossing New Leaf.
I was kind of disappointed by Fire Emblem Awakening though (but I played it for hundreds of hours).

So what's the earliest demon with diarama/mediarama? I still haven't fused one and at this point dia/media is really lacking (and making fights harder than they should be).

According to this: Sedna gets Diarama at 31 and Brigid (level 33) starts with Mediarama and Dis learns it at 33 as well.

Not sure if this thing is 100% accurate though. I've only tinkered with it a little.

magnetic

Ask support about it? I've heard others say they will help.

The problem is that I´m not even a US citizen and thus not actually eligible. I imported a US 3DS because back then I wanted Etrian 4 too much to make me realize what a dumb move that was.

At least I get to play SMT4 way earlier than my other euro buddies this way, but man, the hassle never stops. Maybe I´ll try Nintendo support either way and the whole region thing won´t even come up, but I already registered my account with a fake adress somewhere from Texas.

Mupod

According to this: Sedna gets Diarama at 31 and Brigid (level 33) starts with Mediarama and Dis learns it at 33 as well.

Not sure if this thing is 100% accurate though. I've only tinkered with it a little.

hm, actually maybe my Inti got his mediarama from Brigid.

you can definitely get diarama before 30 though.

Huh. I though it was either you get the first attack, or they do. (Which didn't seem fair. 40-50 damage to you right away vs. 5-10 damage to them.... yeah, not fair)

Ok. Yeah, I'll go with that (0/2/0/2/1) and (1/2/0/2/0) build.

Yeah, I've definitely had battles where I get to go first without the pre-emptive bonus going off.

Marche90

Yeah similar thing happened to me. I guess when I bought Fire Emblem, I had not made my Club Nintendo account yet. I bought SMT thinking I'd get the 30 bucks but no dice.

Nintendo's online policies are just fucking insane.

...so I took a little break from playing to claim my 30$ ehop credit. So, just let me go ahead and link my system to my freshly created Club Nintendo account...

bth_Angry-Muslim-Guy.jpg

So now I´m getting punished again for buying digitally and not following the SPECIFIC order of steps Nintendo had in mind. (My bad karma started back when I was dumb enough to import an US 3DS to europe because I was craving Etrian Odyssey 4 too much and now am forever locked into buying eshop titles because importing the physical copies is stupidly expensive.)

I fucking hate Nintendo sometimes.

Already beaten, but a call/e-mail to Customer Support should fix this. Check the first pages of the OT

Lissar

Reluctant Member

Looking it up, the earliest for Diarama is at level 27
Sedna.

Earliest I got it was at level 33, though
Power.
And apparently, also at 33,
Bridget
has Mediarama.

I guess
Thoth
has Megido at level 30. I'll have to get in on that!

Soulhouf

Wow, a fusion accident happened and I got a Mithras, which is 3 levels above Flynn(lv18).
This is the first time in SMT that I obtain a Tyrant this early.

So my Jack Frost just learned Rapid Needle, and its kill animation is kind of crazy. Whenever an enemy dies from the spell, they pulsate for a second and then DETONATE in a massive fountain of red and purple blood. Pretty much a Fist of the North Star death.

Kind of cool, especially since Needle Shot (the one-target version of the same spell) uses the default Gun kill animation of just a bullet hole and a splash of regular blood.

Mupod

So my Jack Frost just learned Rapid Needle, and its kill animation is kind of crazy. Whenever an enemy dies from the spell, they pulsate for a second and then DETONATE in a massive fountain of red and purple blood. Pretty much a Fist of the North Star death.

Kind of cool, especially since Needle Shot (the one-target version of the same spell) uses the default Gun kill animation of just a bullet hole and a splash of regular blood.

yeah javelin rain does that too.

yeah javelin rain does that too.

Is Javelin Rain a high-level spell like it was in Nocturne, or is it mid-rank again like in Strange Journey?

I think my favorite Demifiend-exclusive skill in Nocturne was Fatal Impulse though. It was so cool to watch him conjure an energy katana out of nowhere and do a quick-draw slash that killed everything on screen.

Mupod

Is Javelin Rain a high-level spell like it was in Nocturne, or is it mid-rank again like in Strange Journey?

I think my favorite Demifiend-exclusive skill in Nocturne was Fatal Impulse though. It was so cool to watch him conjure an energy katana out of nowhere and do a quick-draw slash that killed everything on screen.

Mid-level, I got it off Setanta.

I was using critical wave+8 for a long time, but I'd rather sacrifice critical rate for accuracy at this point so I swapped it for javelin rain. I crit fairly often anyways since I have gone pretty heavy into luck.

pahamrick

The problem is that I´m not even a US citizen and thus not actually eligible. I imported a US 3DS because back then I wanted Etrian 4 too much to make me realize what a dumb move that was.

At least I get to play SMT4 way earlier than my other euro buddies this way, but man, the hassle never stops. Maybe I´ll try Nintendo support either way and the whole region thing won´t even come up, but I already registered my account with a fake adress somewhere from Texas.

Region shouldn't even come up. Just go to the account activity section in the eshop and get the transaction IDs for any purchases you made, list them with the game titles and the email used for Club Nintendo and they should get you taken care of.

How did you get that demon? I only won that battle by having Walter attacking(and somehow actually hitting XD) while I was constantly reviving/healing my party; only landed one concentrated agilao for 400-something damage, buffs did squat x.x If it was a random skill mutation I'm jealous XD

I don't remember where exactly I got the skill, sorry. I've since fused demons several times over so now I have a demon with that skill and all the buff skills so once he learns his I can move some of the buff skills over to my MC.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sticking with a Physical MC, it seems like things are just wayyy tougher than otherwise. I have just arrived at Tokyo with a level 17 MC (St 31, Dx 42, Ma 7, Ag 35, and Lu 9) and the journey to where I am was so... ugly, with so many deaths and restarts and what-have-you.

Several observations about how Physical MC makes things (much?) more difficult for me so far:

• First of all, no Endurance stat/no Defense stat whatsoever, and the HP/MP increase is the same/linear whether you go Physical or Magical. This makes my Physical MC as fragile as a typical Mage, even against physical attacks, which is just bloody bollocks.
  • I managed to beat two main bosses so far,
    Minotaur
    and
    Medusa
    , both of which have an elemental weakness, weaknesses that my MC cannot exploit since he is physical-focused. This makes things difficult. I expect many other bosses will be same as well in the future :(
  • Now, the argument is if my MC is physical-focused, then I need to make my demons magical-focused to cover bases. This requires fusions, naturally, and at times this can require a LOT of money to accomplish. NOW, the PROBLEM is with physical-focused MC, I need to purchase upgraded weapons/bullets in order to increase my physical damage from weapons, but this means I have to share my money between weapons and compendiums! Just for reference, right now where I am the price of a Slasher Knife is 9.580, an Ultra Rifle is 7880, and various bullets are priced 2.810 for each type. Bloody expensive, and that money can be used for demon fusions instead.

So ah, those of you who play their MC all physical, tips please? Hahahaha.

Esura

Banned
Do choices in battles only affect the battle itself or do it affect alignment as well?

Cause, Kikkijorgio Forest
I'm fighting Issachar and he is asking me whether I thought of myself as Luxoror or Casualry.
I was going to pick the latter naturally but I've been following this GameFAQs suggestion on getting neutral route by
picking all the top choices.

pahamrick

Hey random demon's domain

I go and fight the boss, bam, my whole team gets bodied faster than a character in UMVC3.

Had that happen in the
Shinjuku
area. Found a domain on the main map, was going through fairly easy as the demons were only in their 20s. Get to the boss, notice he's level 75. Yeah, my whole team got rocked in 2 casts.

I am often given to hyperbolic statements about games, and then I get bored of them; but goddamn, I have spend the last hour or so recruiting demons and this game is my GOTY.
And yes I said this about Animal Crossing: New Leaf and I traded that game in for this one.

This is certainly better than the Last of Us or Fire Emblem. I haven't played a better game all year.

Nope no way is this better than Fire Emblem: Awakening for me. It is in my top 5 for the year though. Fire Emblem is my GoTY. I dont even care for TLoU that much.

Dresden

Sticking with a Physical MC, it seems like things are just wayyy tougher than otherwise. I have just arrived at Tokyo with a level 17 MC (St 31, Dx 42, Ma 7, Ag 35, and Lu 9) and the journey to where I am was so... ugly, with so many deaths and restarts and what-have-you.

Several observations about how Physical MC makes things (much?) more difficult for me so far:

• First of all, no Endurance stat/no Defense stat whatsoever, and the HP/MP increase is the same/linear whether you go Physical or Magical. This makes my Physical MC as fragile as a typical Mage, even against physical attacks, which is just bloody bollocks.
    Minotaur
    and
    Medusa
    , both of which have an elemental weakness, weaknesses that my MC cannot exploit since he is physical-focused. This makes things difficult. I expect many other bosses will be same as well in the future :(
  • Now, the argument is if my MC is physical-focused, then I need to make my demons magical-focused to cover bases. This requires fusions, naturally, and at times this can require a LOT of money to accomplish. NOW, the PROBLEM is with physical-focused MC, I need to purchase upgraded weapons/bullets in order to increase my physical damage from weapons, but this means I have to share my money between weapons and compendiums! Just for reference, right now where I am the price of a Slasher Knife is 9.580, an Ultra Rifle is 7880, and various bullets are priced 2.810 for each type. Bloody expensive, and that money can be used for demon fusions instead.

Don't buy melee weapons. Don't buy the ultra rifle; the bazooka (2.8k normally, 1.9k on sale) is better and cheaper. Money is easier to make in Tokyo.

It gets much easier with good guns and bullets.

Mupod

Minotaur
    and
    Medusa

get some damn luck! critical hits give you press turns, and they're your big advantage over magic attacks. Also, Fang Breaker is one of the greatest boss fight abilities I've gotten so far.

I don't think upgrading weapons does anything to your skill damage, does it? I basically gave up using regular attacks with the MC.

Other than two physical skills + charge the rest of my abilities are all support, like war cry and dekunda. Recarm is a must ASAP. Spirit drain and/or some form of MP recovery while walking helps a lot.

The thing I hate about going physical was that fact that physical skills run on MP too. Does that matter at all or. . .

HP and MP seem to be tied to your level and equipment instead of stats.

But yeah, I wish phys skills still used HP. Had a feeling it was gonna be this way after Strange Journey.

Infinite

HP and MP seem to be tied to your level and equipment instead of stats.

But yeah, I wish phys skills still used HP. Had a feeling it was gonna be this way after Strange Journey.

It sucks when you get a good demon with high attack and a good physical skill but they can't use it too much due to low MP

Mupod

The thing I hate about going physical was that fact that physical skills run on MP too. Does that matter at all or. . .

it does because physical demons typically have their HP/MP ratios very heavily biased towards HP. But physical demons almost always have tons of strength, which means their regular attack is quite beefy. So I just give them one or two really good situational physical skills (example: megaton press and fang breaker on medusa) and load them up with passives. Or spirit drain. Spirit drain is fucking awesome.

Looking good. I used all of mine so far too aside from STR and DEX. I'll probably wait until I have my final team to use those seeing as I never use any phys attacks aside from when I'm autoing.

I'm currently about 20 hours in and I'm heading to Shibuya for the first time. I ended up liking
Asmodeus's design
a lot more than I did before, and I just finished some extra challenge quests. Defeating
Okuninushi
at the shrine was a cakewalk.

How's that build working for you? That's basically what I'm working towards. Have you hit any tough walls yet with basically a pure magic character?

I feel like its hard to totally screw things up, unless you go Jack of all. If you dump everything in magic, have a demon or two that's strong with physical. If you go all physical, have demons for magic.

I have decided that I will not pay attention to alignment any more. I will pick everything based on my opinion and what I end up is the path I shall take.

PK Gaming

Another boss, another dumbass move by assist character

level 20-30 sidequest spoiler

Haha, I know what you mean.

I came to the conclusion that the assist character was intentionally set up in a way to make the boss more difficult, since ALL of their moves give the boss smirks / extra turns.

Fortunately, fusing fire resist demons makes the quest much easier since Maragidyne kills its turns.

Soulhouf

Buy the elemental bullets. There are one for each element which will give you a free elemental attack that you can customize depending of the situation.
That's how I was tackling battles since I arrived to Tokyo.

CSX

Haha, I know what you mean.

I came to the conclusion that the assist character was intentionally set up in a way to make the boss more difficult, since ALL of her moves give the boss smirks / extra turns.

Fortunately, fusing fire resist demons makes the quest much easier since Maragidyne kills his turns.

Two of my demons null/drain fire. The bullshit was that smirk and he did javelin rain. Even with my armor resisting pierce, it still one hit killed me due to smirk.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Don't buy melee weapons. Don't buy the ultra rifle; the bazooka (2.8k normally, 1.9k on sale) is better and cheaper. Money is easier to make in Tokyo.

It gets much easier with good guns and bullets.

get some damn luck! critical hits give you press turns, and they're your big advantage over magic attacks. Also, Fang Breaker is one of the greatest boss fight abilities I've gotten so far.

I don't think upgrading weapons does anything to your skill damage, does it? I basically gave up using regular attacks with the MC.

Other than two physical skills + charge the rest of my abilities are all support, like war cry and dekunda. Recarm is a must ASAP. Spirit drain and/or some form of MP recovery while walking helps a lot.

You guys know what? I just bought the bazooka and the force bullets for a test drive. And by God just with shooting stuff the battles outside the malls are going so fast :O

Now I *REALLY* regret putting so many points in STR instead of LCK, aggghhhhhhh.

I am now thinking that I should probably just restart from the beginning. Pretty far... but, heh....

Sleepy

Quest items you can deliver for awards + EXP. You know when it happens. Part of story

Thanks!

If the new Etrian Odyssey is this good, I will have a new favorite developer. Thank you Atlas-based god.

Also. is it worth going back and getting the other SMT games on DS/3DS? Or is IV the best it gets? and everything else will feel like a regression?

jorgeton

You guys know what? I just bought the bazooka and the force bullets for a test drive. And by God just with shooting stuff the battles outside the malls are going so fast :O

Now I *REALLY* regret putting so many points in STR instead of LCK, aggghhhhhhh.

I am now thinking that I should probably just restart from the beginning. Pretty far... but, heh....

Don't forget to use the incenses. I had like 8 luck incenses by the time I got a few ways in to Tokyo. Same with Ag incense and Dx incense. Each incense is +3 to a stat. So pump your MC with them.. should help a bit. My Flynn went from a 20 AG to a 50 AG after an incense binge. Same with luck, from like 15 to 30.

Soulhouf

Do you have "Critical Wave"?
That skill is a life saver, especially since I began rising LUCK. Now I'm landing critical hits all over the place.

Top Bottom