• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Teknoman

Off topic, but one thing I "dont like" about main series SMT games (i've only played this and Nocturne, I guess Strange Journey still counts?) is that like Platinum action games, they make whatever else you were playing boring by comparison.

Making it hard to finish up Xenoblade.

EDIT: My Fortuna lvl 11 mutated a skill into Diarama, so you can definitely get it early.

As for Lenan, Pele and Naga or Pele and Fomorian.

StatsChu

Neo Member
My attempts to beat PxZ before SMTIV... lol.

It seems as though I am getting double the experience when I try to fundraise on a demon first. The more I fundraise the higher the experience. Anyone know the mechanics for this? And some demons tend to give more macca then others - I think it has to do with the demon level. The pyro frosts, give me around 80-100 per shakedown, while the jack frosts only give me about 50 or so.

Busaiku

Are there any guides on knowing the path we're taking?
I'm not sure if beating or not beating Kuebiko is Law or Chaos or not.

Goby

Banned
Oh man Law ending are you kidding me.

Question about other endings and MAJOR SPOILER for Law ending
Do you die in the neutral/chaos endings?

StatsChu

Neo Member
My attempts to beat PxZ before SMTIV... lol.

It seems as though I am getting double the experience when I try to fundraise on a demon first. The more I fundraise the higher the experience. Anyone know the mechanics for this? And some demons tend to give more macca then others - I think it has to do with the demon level. The pyro frosts, give me around 80-100 per shakedown, while the jack frosts only give me about 50 or so.

Oops, scratch the double experience part... I think I'm getting high EXP because the demons are at higher levels than me.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oops, scratch the double experience part... I think I'm getting high EXP because the demons are at higher levels than me.

I know you definitely get more experience if you try talking to a demon. A few times I've talked to a demon and they refused to join me and everyone left, but I still got some bonus experience. And other instances where I have noticeably gotten more experience. I THINK it has happened with fundraise too.

Found another domain on the world map with a level 75 boss at the end of it. Think...I'm gonna leave that one for later. Did recruit a few of the local fauna while I was in there, though.

Mupod

The Skill Mutation app is a must, in my opinion. There's no downsides, and getting a great result is satisfying. I just changed Ice Breath to Mediarama and Megido to Bufudyne.

I mentioned it in the post right under yours, but I actually just got Titanomachia from a skill mutation. I wouldn't have gotten access to this skill until level 43 at the earliest, and I'm 37 now.

Don't have the app though...I just always seem to have more important things to get. I am very much in the business of making the most out of fusion to create horrifically overpowered demons so maxing my skill slots was a must.

I'm going to have to walk away from my 3DS for a bit lest I hurl it through the window. After hitting a roadblock with the finale of a particular challenge quest in Shinjuku (enemy does not have any weaknesses, and neither my protagonist nor my demons can stand toe to toe with him), I finally gave up and started running around to do some easier quests, only to get back-attacked and slaughtered without pushing a button. I fucking hate back attacks in this game.

CSX

Question

In some of the trailers, they show off the MC summoning his demons while in the world. He says something like "Come forth" or "I summon you". Is there a way to do that or is that just a story sequence?

Question

In some of the trailers, they show off the MC summoning his demons while in the world. He says something like "Come forth" or "I summon you". Is there a way to do that or is that just a story sequence?

Digital Devil Service. It's a streetpass where you can summon other player's demons and use them in a strong almighty attack.

Goby

Banned
How many hours did it take you?

Around 35 but I did no sidequests at all

Also I'm familiar with the SMT series so I knew how to build a party and use fusions etc.

I did no sidequests becasue some people said it would help with getting neutral ending but I got stuck on Law.

I definitely want to replay and actually do sidequests and stuff this time.

Teknoman

What did the update do? Said something about a streetpass special for Soul hackers and IV?

EDIT: Why would doing normal sidequests help with neutral?

What did the update do? Said something about a streetpass special for Soul hackers and IV?

In the Japanese version, if you streetpassed another SMT4 player who also had Soul Hackers or Etrian Odyssey IV streetpass data, you'd get 40 app points (though I think you could only get it once for either title - ie you get 40 for the first Soul Hackers player you tag and you get 40 for the first EO4 player you tag). I assume it's something to do with that.

Dresden

Help me choose a gun:

currently using: 41 x 2~4 hits

up for purchase:

67 x 2 hits
57 x 1~4 hits

I can only buy one, because I also need to buy some Bind bullets.

Beat
Medusa
, terrible design.

If you're talking art design, yup I'm right there with you. Worst looking demon design in the game so far.

Just got to the bottom of Naraku. Very interesting and really intrigued into seeing where the story's going from here. I feel like I'm taking it a lot slower than everyone else, mostly because I'm paralyzed with indecision in terms of fusing demons and take forever to figure out how I want to go. It's gotten to the point where all my demons have great skills and are full up, and fusing two of my powerful demons together is going to make me drop useful skills I want to keep.

Weapon-ish spoilers for when you get through Naraku:
So glad I have a gun now. Will probably be pumping a lot more into Dex and Magic now and make my MC a little more versatile. Leaving Str on the wayside.

It's really weird to me that there's no Def stat in this game. Even the Armor just buffs your other abilities and/or gives you more HP. Not exactly sure how Rakunda/Rakukaja works in this game with that aspect.

Lucent

Around 35 but I did no sidequests at all

Also I'm familiar with the SMT series so I knew how to build a party and use fusions etc.

I did no sidequests becasue some people said it would help with getting neutral ending but I got stuck on Law.

I definitely want to replay and actually do sidequests and stuff this time.

Yeah seems like it'll definitely take me longer than 35. I'm like 6 hours in and I only just now got to that
burning village place after saving Navarre
because I spent a lot of time getting life stones for the white armor DLC and fusing demons and recruiting more to fuse and stuff. And I'm definitely gonna be doing sidequests.

Bit of an updated on my battle with the 3rd town in Tokyo boss, thanks to all of your advice I was able to defeat her using a Dis and casting Sukukaja twice I mopped her up in about 4 turns. Thanks a lot guys and gals!

Tamanon

Banned
In the Japanese version, if you streetpassed another SMT4 player who also had Soul Hackers or Etrian Odyssey IV streetpass data, you'd get 40 app points (though I think you could only get it once for either title - ie you get 40 for the first Soul Hackers player you tag and you get 40 for the first EO4 player you tag). I assume it's something to do with that.

Fuck man, 40 app points is a lot. I'd almost be willing to go on Craigslist to find a streetpasser!

Just beat the Minotaur at lvl 14, he isn't so hard if you read the guide. fused two monsters after and got an error, ended up with a lvl 21 demon. This game is awesome.

Took a ton of macca and fusion but managed to make me a Baldur with Resist Gun (and Resist Fire to boot). He's pretty buff ~

Also fused Brigid because I need Mediarama.

My Amazon order finally arrived, and in immaculate condition! Came in a bubble mailer too, so I was expecting some corners to be dinged.

null-13.jpg

MechaX

I'm still early in the game, but what in the fuck was with the last two bosses
Medusa and Minotaur?
I mean, I can't be underleveled because enemies in this dungeon give away shit EXP. And I would like to think that I am up to date on fusing. But I'm stuck on
Medusa
and no matter how far in the boss I get, the boss just cheeses crits and wipes out my party.

Edit: Uh. Fused a Ta Lin and that did the trick for some reason. Also, worst designed boss so far. Looked like some shit out of a Todd MacFarlane comic.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
The one near the exit to the 5th floor? I ran all around it and didn't have any ! pop up. Oh, and I did make sure to accept the quest in the menu.

There's one before you make a jump over the terrain, you have to walk through/under it and to the end of the path where a ! should be waiting.

And have fun getting back to Isis.

25 hours in. Major spoilers below, look at your own risk.
Everything's been picking up fast as soon as I got to Midtown, to the point where I'm actually a bit unsure of what to do next. Choosing to spare Lilith now has me Neutral, but all of those alignment decisions and fast level ups have my fusions out of date and have made me nervous. Think I'm starting to approach the halfway mark of the game, since I've spent some time on sidequests and fusing.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm still early in the game, but what in the fuck was with the last two bosses
Medusa and Minotaur?
I mean, I can't be underleveled because enemies in this dungeon give away shit EXP. And I would like to think that I am up to date on fusing. But I'm stuck on
Medusa
and no matter how far in the boss I get, the boss just cheeses crits and wipes out my party.

Edit: Uh. Fused a Ta Lin and that did the trick for some reason. Also, worst designed boss so far. Looked like some shit out of a Todd MacFarlane comic.

What level are you? If you can get to level 17, you can fuse Raiju and he'll be amazingly useful against M*****. Also get some demons with zan for that fight.

Top Bottom