• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Had that happen in the
Shinjuku
area. Found a domain on the main map, was going through fairly easy as the demons were only in their 20s. Get to the boss, notice he's level 75. Yeah, my whole team got rocked in 2 casts.

I just ran into this domain ten minutes ago. He's weak against gun attacks and not hugely accurate, so if you know what you're doing and can void or repel Ice you might be able to beat him with some strong gun-users.

Dresden

Physical demons are fodder. Even with a mag-focused MC, caster demons loaded with elemental spells/buffs/heals are better, anyways. Their only purpose is to whisper sweet physical skills to the mc.

jorgeton

Physical demons are fodder. Even with a mag-focused MC, caster demons loaded with elemental spells/buffs/heals are better, anyways. Their only purpose is to whisper sweet physical skills to the mc.

It just seems that Phys isn't that effective in this game overall, sadly. I keep my mage demons way past their prime, but fuse demons with only phys attacks asap.

Early game question

any terminals when you get to Tokyo?

Yep. Each major area/town has one so far.

pahamrick

I just ran into this domain ten minutes ago. He's weak against gun attacks and not hugely accurate, so if you know what you're doing and can void or repel Ice you might be able to beat him with some strong gun-users.

Hm, I'll have to do some demon fusion and/or hunting. Only downside is my MC's gear makes him weak to ice. Thanks for the tip!

As far as character builds go, I probably screwed mine up but he's been fun. From the very beginning I've been putting 3 points into MAG and 1 each into AGI and LCK, and then I use every stat boosting incense I get on him. His magic skills hit like a truck even if enemies aren't weak against them.

So, I'm about to start this game and after reading the last few pages of the thread I just want to reiterate on something:

Having a Phys MC is generally a bad thing? I've seen a lot of comments about Phys not being very useful in this game. Should I just go magic focused?

Out of context this sounds not very right. Within context this is awesome.

Ravager61

So I'm level 11, have 3 characters with Bufu, and I can't beat
The Minotaur

I get to the 3rd dialogue bit where there are no actual choices and it looks like I'm about to win but he just won't die. It's about that time he starts breaking out that uber move that instant kills a lot of my characters.

Is there anything I can do here besides just grinding? I'd prefer not to do that.

Hm, I'll have to do some demon fusion and/or hunting. Only downside is my MC's gear makes him weak to ice. Thanks for the tip!

As far as character builds go, I probably screwed mine up but he's been fun. From the very beginning I've been putting 3 points into MAG and 1 each into AGI and LCK, and then I use every stat boosting incense I get on him. His magic skills hit like a truck even if enemies aren't weak against them.

Be wary, his physical strikes will still hurt like HELL, and he has a lot of HP. But if you blast him with enough gun moves, he should fold eventually. I made the same mistake of wearing the White Samurai armor into the fight, switched it out for one that isn't weak against ice and I was able to tank him a lot more effectively.

Unfortunately, I forgot that Tam Lin is weak to Ice, and once the boss exploited that I was done for.

Can you tell me where?
is it in the subway area?

Ueno Station, one of the first doors once you go into the Underground.

Phys based demons are perfect for any time you need to do anything where the monsters are a couple levels or more below you be it farming old demons for fusion or doing quests or whatever. You can hit R for auto battle and clear all of the random battles before the enemy even gets a turn. Auto battle is actually considerably quicker then even just spam hitting the button to do physical attacks.

I suppose you could eventually put app points into the skill that allows auto battle to target weaknesses but it seems like kind of a waste considering you don't get enough app points to get everything even at max level.

I have a Phys based MC and still keep at least 3 other decent STR demons in my stock for when i need to do random crap that isn't progressing the story.

So I'm level 11, have 3 characters with Bufu, and I can't beat
The Minotaur

I get to the 3rd dialogue bit where there are no actual choices and it looks like I'm about to win but he just won't die. It's about that time he starts breaking out that uber move that instant kills a lot of my characters.

Is there anything I can do here besides just grinding? I'd prefer not to do that.
Are you using stat buffs and debuffs?

pahamrick

Be wary, his physical strikes will still hurt like HELL, and he has a lot of HP. But if you blast him with enough gun moves, he should fold eventually. I made the same mistake of wearing the White Samurai armor into the fight, switched it out for one that isn't weak against ice and I was able to tank him a lot more effectively.

Unfortunately, I forgot that Tam Lin is weak to Ice, and once the boss exploited that I was done for.

I'm not too worried about physical hits now, thanks to Tetrakarn (I think that's it.) It repels Physical and Gun attacks for one turn. I love seeing enemies kill themselves with it, always makes me smile.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can you tell me where?
is it in the subway area?

I just arrived on Tokyo but I assume it's behind that
Tengu
fight, is this correct? Bring anti-Zan demons/armor to make your life easier. My team got wiped out very fast, hahaha.... :((

Anyways...I think I am just gonna restart over from the very beginning, only this time I will forego STR entirely in favor to DEX/AGI/LCK build.

Ravager61

Are you using stat buffs and debuffs?

I have a demon that is my dedicated healer that is casting a defense buff. I forget the name but it starts with an R. Is there something else I should be casting? Also, does the buff last the whole battle or just the next round? I don't see any indicators that the characters have been buffed.

I'm not too worried about physical hits now, thanks to Tetrakarn (I think that's it.) It repels Physical and Gun attacks for one turn. I love seeing enemies kill themselves with it, always makes me smile.

That would definitely make it a lot easier. Glacial Blast hurts if you're not prepared for it, but most of his kills on my demons came from his physical hits.

I have a demon that is my dedicated healer that is casting a defense buff. I forget the name but it starts with an R. Is there something else I should be casting?

If you have it, cast Sukukaja or Sukunda. Defense buffs are nice, but you really want to make sure he just doesn't hit you at all.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Update on #TeamLuck after using all my incenses

As mentioned before shinjuku demons gibe u a lot of exp which will happen as u try to do quests there
Edit : ignore the blight. Its going away soon. Just bought the last skill slot

For me,

Sitting at 130ish luck and just got death bullets : D

Using a machine gun on three or more enemies is like guaranteed to instant kill or crit at least one of them. Also literally never missed a mamudo on something weak to dark, when any demons I've had try to use basic instant kill spells miss quite a bit even on weaknesses.

Before the death bullets mamudo was a reasonable but not great option for groups of three or four without easily exploitable weaknesses.

If I could actually manage to learn mamudoon or mahamaon I would just be instant deathing so many random things.

Tengu
fight, is this correct? Bring anti-Zan demons/armor to make your life easier. My team got wiped out very fast, hahaha.... :((

Anyways...I think I am just gonna restart over from the very beginning, only this time I will forego STR entirely in favor to DEX/AGI/LCK build.

Just beat him, thanks!

I suspected that was the terminal room but I wasn't too sure

CSX

Had to conspire and kill him in one turn because of this. Everything single one of her moves smirked him if I prolonged it.

What level were you when you did that?

Edit : nvm. Got him after 5 tries. Nozomi did one extra bufu which was just enough to get me the win

Effect

Still very early in the game, just hit level 4 and did my first demo fusion. Is it me or is the game actively trying to kill your right from the jump with how much damage enemies are doing to do you? Does the game need you to die or something and I've just been staying alive when I shouldn't? It's somewhat hard to even keep demons alive as they can be taken out in a single round or even one hit killed.

Dresden

Tengu

You get enough incense that those early investments into STR won't matter at all a few hours down the line. Keep going!

Tenks

Still very early in the game, just hit level 4 and did my first demo fusion. Is it me or is the game actively trying to kill your right from the jump with how much damage enemies are doing to do you? Does the game need you to die or something and I've just been staying alive when I shouldn't? It's somewhat hard to even keep demons alive as they can be taken out in a single round or even one hit killed.

Nah its just SMT

GeekyDad

Just paid Charon about 5k macca to revive, and it was totally worth it. I made the mistake of never paying him early on when I'd die and had to sit through that long-ass-mountain-scaling animation every time. Now, I can breeze right past him and reload. Totally worth the price. Shitty to have to learn the hard way, but I couldn't take those Game Over deals anymore.

Boy oh boy the big demon fight in the, um, third? town of Tokyo,
Xi Wangmu
, is destroying my team. I know that she's weak to
force
, but whenever I really start to do some serious damage to her she retaliates with a combination of
megaton press
. And a move that deals damage to me and restores her health. Any tips or recommendations?

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
Xi Wangmu
force
, but whenever I really start to do some serious damage to her she retaliates with a combination of
megaton press
. And a move that deals damage to me and restores her health. Any tips or recommendations?

Boosting your defense and evasion can help a lot, and I'd have at the very least three party members that can use
force
attacks to exploit the weakness and gain more turns. Also, on the very first turn,
this is your opportunity to buff up, since all your attacks do 1 damage, anyway.

Boosting your defense and evasion can help a lot, and I'd have at the very least three party members that can use
force
attacks to exploit the weakness and gain more turns. Also, on the very first turn,
this is your opportunity to buff up, since all your attacks do 1 damage, anyway.

Cool, I'll have to give that a try. Didn't even occur to me to buff during turn 1.

Nexas

Xi Wangmu
force
megaton press

Spend the first few turns buffing your defense and hit/evade as you can't do any damage to start. Use dekunda after her big buff and start debugging her attack.

ultron87

Just paid Charon about 5k macca to revive, and it was totally worth it. I made the mistake of never paying him early on when I'd die and had to sit through that long-ass-mountain-scaling animation every time. Now, I can breeze right past him and reload. Totally worth the price. Shitty to have to learn the hard way, but I couldn't take those Game Over deals anymore.

You can press X to skip the animation and dialogue to get it done even faster.

Spend the first few turns buffing your defense and hit/evade as you can't do any damage to start. Use dekunda after her big buff and start debugging her attack.

Yeah, it seems to be that buff/debuffs are going to play a big part in the fight. I've gotten away with just exploiting weaknesses up to this point, oh well.

Delio

Anyone recommend a purely support demon? I have a Hathor I can finally fuse with Tarukaja,Sukukaja,Rakukaja,Media,Heal Pleroma and Spirit Drain. But I worry about having a demon that's completely support will hinder me later.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Like 5 or 6 hours in. Addicted to grinding and fusing so much.

Just beat the
forest,
got to the
minataur
, dude bullshitted me with some onu-giniri whatever like 4 times in a row. Balls that. Instant wipeout.

When I get home, brah. When I get home.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
Anyone recommend a purely support demon? I have a Hathor I can finally fuse with Tarukaja,Sukukaja,Rakukaja,Media,Heal Pleroma and Spirit Drain. But I worry about having a demon that's completely support will hinder me later.

Having a pure support demon is a good idea by all means. You can always swap it out mid-battle if it's not being useful, and the heals are a great way to sustain your party when battles end, since you can use those healing skills in the overworld. The stock space is for more than carrying fusion fodder!

LProtag

Xi Wangmu
force
megaton press

I just beat this.

I was buffing defense and attack to their max and debuffing hit/evasion. I did that to the max. The first few turns you can't do anything anyway, so buff/debuff. Then exploit the weakness while finishing off buffing/debuffing to the max.

Dresden

Xi Wangmu
force
megaton press

I had a bunch of
repel elec
demons and a basilisk with
Resist Elec
passed down. Rakukaja in the prep phase, then slammed it with
force
bullets. It was dead in three or four turns after that
plot armor
wore off.

I just beat this.

I was buffing defense and attack to their max and debuffing hit/evasion. I did that to the max. The first few turns you can't do anything anyway, so buff/debuff. Then exploit the weakness while finishing off buffing/debuffing to the max.

Thanks for the response, this is likely going to be my strategy when I get home from work tonight. I'm going to take her down, dammit!

This is one of the reasons I'm loving this game so much, the boss demons don't feel "cheap" so much as they just show me that I've got to come up with a better strategy for taking them on. Loving this game, definite candidate for my personal GOTY.

EDIT: Ahhh! I'm overwhelmed by all your help folks. Thanks so much for the replies, one way or the other I'm getting past this section tonight after work.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Ugh, trying to decide when to replace a fully leveled skill is a pain. I know I SHOULD just replace it with a higher level one and then work on leveling that up, but it will be painful for awhile. Terrible.

PK Gaming

Xi Wangmu
force
megaton press

Get a dekaja demon and fuse it, since that'll stop her from overwhelming you with her buffs. When I searched for one w/ the cathedral app I only had access to a single, low ish level demon, but it definitely helped out. Debuff/Buff spells like Tarunda / Rakakaja also made a massive difference.

The Skill Mutation app is a must, in my opinion. There's no downsides, and getting a great result is satisfying. I just changed Ice Breath to Mediarama and Megido to Bufudyne.

Mupod

Okay so my plan to fuse a low level demon with abilities I wanted to level up on my MC and repeatedly resummon/level him up to get whispers didn't go quite as planned, because a level 6 demon with just tianomachia/dekunda on it costs around 7k to summon.

However, you can just re-fuse them to another low level demon over and over. Which is almost as convenient and still very cheap.

FluxWaveZ

The Skill Mutation app is a must, in my opinion. There's no downsides, and getting a great result is satisfying. I just changed Ice Breath to Mediarama and Megido to Bufudyne.

60 points is a lot, though, and its random nature of only mutating demons' skills caused me to go with MP Recovery 2 instead.

Top Bottom