• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got the time to play this a little more, after four hours of playing I have just one question:
Does Burrough ever shut up? I find it really annoying when she interrupts story sequences just to tell me that she "registered this as a quest". Like I care.

Other than that, I really like the game so far.

Eusis

Hell even EOIV makes it difficult to return to Soul Hacker.
I probably should've tried to get through Soul Hacker first, but SMTIV was one of THE big 3DS games I anticipated, whereas Soul Hackers was mainly something I wanted to get because it was one of the better MegaTen 32-bit titles and it actually got brought over here.

Though basically all the PS2 games made the PS1 games obsolete anyway so that was kind of a doomed situation. Just gotta space out the two games I guess.

Goddammit. I knew I was missing some important upgrades, I just had no idea it was tucked behind Scout Gift. I really hope the game starts throwing more 10-AP items my way. So far I only got one, but I'm hopeful.

Is there a chart or something or what apps lead to what? I'm curious as to what I'm missing out on as well, having focused on my own skill slots and now MP regen.

Finally got the time to play this a little more, after four hours of playing I have just one question:
Does Burrough ever shut up? I find it really annoying when she interrupts story sequences just to tell me that she "registered this as a quest". Like I care.

No, she seems to be getting more dialogue as I go along. She's great though, I think she's probably my favourite character. Shame you don't like her much.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

I noticed you need to go to the bathroom, I'll register that as a new quest on the list

Finally reached another fight that I'm getting totally trashed in. I could use some advice. It involves the second quest in
Tennoku.

(late-game spoilers ahoy)
Any advice against Beelzebub? I thought I was going to be prepared in spite of my level, I took out Baal without losing anyone - aside from my Hariti I haven't gotten rid of yet :p (Who literally got lost in the fight before.). But Beelzebub has megidolaon, which sort of makes my Makarakarn pointless. He wiped out my whole team in two turns... My MC is at lv 65, and I have a lv71 Cherub and lv 59 Haoma that have been awesome, -karns errywhere, but I think I need a different approach. Or maybe just more levels and different demons.

I'm really only doing this particular quest it's the easiest to get my Hunter ranking up. (No luck with the drops for deliveries right now.)

Don't bother with Makarakarn. Use Debilitate and Luster Candy, if you have them. Your demons should ideally also null gun/elec/poison.

It's still spelled Luster Candy? I remember Nich being annoyed after Strange Journey's US release that he didn't catch it was a reference to Raku-Suku-Tarukaja skills. Which admittedly would have been difficult to translate.

Jucksalbe

Banned
No, she seems to be getting more dialogue as I go along. She's great though, I think she's probably my favourite character. Shame you don't like her much.

I have no problem with the character. I have a problem with how they made the story the "main quest" and tell you everytime this main quest changes.
I can accept this for the side stuff (though it's still lazy game design), but doing this for the main story bothers me.

Burroughs is pretty silly. Her interjections are excessive and often inappropriate or mood breaking. Sometimes it's amusing, something it's just annoying. It's not really a minor nitpick considering how much she speaks.

duckroll

Burroughs is pretty silly. Her interjections are excessive and often inappropriate or mood breaking. Sometimes it's amusing, something it's just annoying. It's not really a minor nitpick considering how much she speaks.

I think it's an interesting decision. Yes, it does "ruin" the mood sometimes, but it could be intentional. She's a sort of 4th wall character who doesn't care about what's going on because she's just there to provide navigation assistance. Pretty funny imo!

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the game and got the law ending, 45 hours. Absolutely amazing game, magic MC is really damn good though, almost too good. I will start my Physical MC playthrough tomorrow and attempt to get the neutral ending, since apparently that one is more interesting.

I think it's an interesting decision. Yes, it does "ruin" the mood sometimes, but it could be intentional. She's a sort of 4th wall character who doesn't care about what's going on because she's just there to provide navigation assistance. Pretty funny imo!

It mostly works for me too, but I don't really place much importance on the story or things beyond the combat and demon mechanics in this game.

Just beat the game and got the law ending, 45 hours. Absolutely amazing game, magic MC is really damn good though, almost too good. I will start my Physical MC playthrough tomorrow and attempt to get the neutral ending, since apparently that one is more interesting.

That quick? Hmm. Im almost halfway there and I feel like I've encountered relatively little plot. Does it pick up?

Aeana

That quick? Hmm. Im almost halfway there and I feel like I've encountered relatively little plot. Does it pick up?

What is your definition of plot? There are moments of intense, concise exposition with serious choices, but they are dotted across the game. They're very effective, but you're not going to get lengthy story scenes in this game.

Watashiwa

It's still spelled Luster Candy? I remember Nich being annoyed after Strange Journey's US release that he didn't catch it was a reference to Raku-Suku-Tarukaja skills. Which admittedly would have been difficult to translate.

No surprise, it's a reference to one of the games that never got translated. In SMT if... there was an item called Luster Candy, which in Japanese is spelled "Rasuta" in katakana, and the item did provide one of every stat boost when used. It's a phonetic joke that probably wouldn't translate well, though it could probably be worked into the spell's description somehow...

Anyway, finally, FINALLY tracked down the Insane Hordes and Wicker Man Hordes. Don't know why they were giving me so much trouble. Tomorrow I move into the third (final?) part of the game.

Aeana

No surprise, it's a reference to one of the games that never got translated. In SMT if... there was an item called Luster Candy, which in Japanese is spelled "Rasuta" in katakana, and the item did provide one of every stat boost when used. It's a phonetic joke that probably wouldn't translate well, though it could probably be worked into the spell's description somehow...

Anyway, finally, FINALLY tracked down the Insane Hordes and Wicker Man Hordes. Don't know why they were giving me so much trouble. Tomorrow I move into the third (final?) part of the game.

I don't think it being an item in SMT If... is relevant. They just didn't realize that it was supposed to be RaSuTa. The end. Poor Nich has been harangued about it enough since Strange Journey. :\

What is your definition of plot? There are moments of intense, concise exposition with serious choices, but they are dotted across the game. They're very effective, but you're not going to get lengthy story scenes in this game.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. The game so far hasn't had the most interesting plot or characters, but it's been efficient in how it has used what little time devoted to that stuff. I'm glad to hear it stays that way,

On the new demons designs, relatively early-game spoilers.

I thought Minotaur was pretty cool and creepy at the same time. Turning the bull's snout into the eyes for the skull-face was a great idea, as was making it look like the demon had merged with half of a bull, as opposed to being half-bull.

Medusa... eh. I don't think it's so much the design that bothers me: giving her a hair full of skeletal snakes could look really unnerving. However, the way she's drawn makes her look pretty goofy and ruins the creepiness quite a bit.

Yknow. Stakes. Drama. Revelation. So far there's really only things that have happened in the game.

The Black Samurai was a bitch
I came to Tokyo to look for her.

Yeah, it definitely does pick up. You' should be nearing the point where the plot begins to shine.

There's a pretty definite point where things go into overdrive.

Basically around the time you can get the bad end, to keep shit vague.

Thanks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Speaking of story things, some might have missed this part:

Return to the room/area where you found the
demonica suits
to see something interesting.

Yknow. Stakes. Drama. Revelation. So far there's really only things that have happened in the game.

The Black Samurai was a bitch
I came to Tokyo to look for her.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're still pretty early.

Though I dunno what the length differences are between Law and the path I did, Neutral.

Soulhouf

Burroughs needs to have "Hey listen" every 15 minutes or so and she will be the perfect candidate for the most annoying character ever.

Eusis

You also tend to pick up more meaningful tidbits from the NPCs than in most games, before TOO long past the point the game starts to open up you
discover that the "ceiling" has only been there 25 years, and it's immediately obvious that it couldn't have been 1500+ years anyway just by the state of the buildings and people there. Nevermind all the other little details and hints you may start seeing if you interact with people.
I like being able to talk to people and try to piece things together rather than everything being immediately handed to me on a silver platter and the NPCs only good for saying irrelevant nonsense you'd forget about in 5 minutes anyway.

Toki767

Credits are rolling. Got the lawful ending first. Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Probably going to take a break and go for chaos and neutral endings after.

I loved the armor. I wanted to own them all but I didn't have enough Macca :(
BPxJsKGCUAA9vS7.jpg

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ikebukuro photo challenge quest
where do I turn it in? It's the one that required 2 shots and was given by a guy. Can't find him anywhere in Shinjuku

Ikebukuro photo challenge quest
where do I turn it in? It's the one that required 2 shots and was given by a guy. Can't find him anywhere in Shinjuku

I think he's in a room in the map you get to if you keep going east from the Kuebiko boss fight without going into the subway.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm trying to do the Samurai and Hunters United quest, but I can't seem to find the Ambassador Cafe in Ameyoko. Is it inside Ueno or around it on the world map?

Xenoflare

Ok, I seriously need some help, late game spoiler.

Is Beelzebub required for neutral ending? I'm stuck after Masakado gave me the chalice of hope, and it seems like I need to rank up on the leaderboard by doing challenge to do it, but that thing suck a huge bag of Maras, It knows when you use reflect spells and will triple spam Megidolaon. In addition of having other very strong attacks. I know the strategy, but my current demons will not allow such strategy to take place, so I want to know if I must kill it to advance in the game, thanks a bunch.

duckroll

I'm trying to do the Samurai and Hunters United quest, but I can't seem to find the Ambassador Cafe in Ameyoko. Is it inside Ueno or around it on the world map?

Inside Ueno, it's on the side road with all the relics on the shuttered store fronts. The entrance is only available after you accept the quest.

RyoonZ

Banned
Just got this game today. Loving it so far, died a lot for the first few battles. I like Burroughs because she's Lightning. And how long it takes to beat this game roughly?

Ok, I seriously need some help, late game spoiler.

Is Beelzebub required for neutral ending? I'm stuck after Masakado gave me the chalice of hope, and it seems like I need to rank up on the leaderboard by doing challenge to do it, but that thing suck a huge bag of Maras, It knows when you use reflect spells and will triple spam Megidolaon. In addition of having other very strong attacks. I know the strategy, but my current demons will not allow such strategy to take place, so I want to know if I must kill it to advance in the game, thanks a bunch.

Yes you do.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was playing the game without the included guy for the beginning of the game, and then I saw in the guide a quest about killing a *Very Mild Early Spoilers for a Quest*
Dragon
, and didn't see any option to fight one or how to get to this Treasure room that was talked about in a quest I accepted. I didn't realize you had to actually initiate the quest since the deliverable ones weren't like that.

Also why didn't the guide have a quest for defeating *Very Mild Early Spoilers*
Wu Kong
. I got it randomly from a Chagrin while talking to it?

Ourobolus

Banned
I take it it's not worth it to invest points in the "Decrease Compendium Costs" App? I would imagine it's not terribly difficult to find money either end-game or NG+, right?

Regardless, how many points for all 4 levels of the app?

vall03

Oh! Midtown spoilers
Mastema appeared in the game! But after what happened in Strange Journey, I don't know if I should trust him this time lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Um, does completing some of the side quests impact the alignment? I just finished off Okuninushi and the option to fight or not makes me feel it was.

Top Bottom