• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Eusis

Wait... How do you get Scout+? Unless it's an upgrade that unlocked after purchasing Scout Gift and/or Negotiate, I'm not seeing it.
Comes after Scout Gift I believe, I think everything starting with Scout goes in a linear fashion. frustrating, I thought it was just some irrelevant side thing, not a stepping stone to upgrading the ability to recruit demons period.

Dresden

Also is a Sword based (STR) phys build any decent? I assume it is cheaper than a gun based phys build, but money probably is a non-issue at a certain point.

Sounds pretty bad.

Setting 1: MC with plasma sword

1a) Str 142, critical damage ~ 310, smirking critical damage ~ 500
1b) Str 262, critical damage ~ 370, smirking critical damage ~ 590

Actually shooting a gun is only worth it when exploiting weaknesses, anyways.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It is indeed unlocked after the earlier scouting apps.
Comes after Scout Gift I believe, I think everything starting with Scout goes in a linear fashion. frustrating, I thought it was just some irrelevant side thing, not a stepping stone to upgrading the ability to recruit demons period.
Dammit, it'll take forever to unlock all those at this point. :(

Eusis

You mean after purchasing negotiate AND scout gift? Dammit, it'll take me a long time to unlock all those at this point. :(
Just get Scout Gift, like said it seems to be linear progression.

EDIT: Nevermind you caught it. Yeah, I was going to focus on skills first but I'm sick of shit luck at recruiting demons.

Endgame sidequest tip -
When fighting Azazel, do not use Makarakarn unless you want Megidolaon 3 times in a row. I had to learn the hard way. :eek:

Mupod

Dammit, it'll take me a long time to unlock all those at this point. :(

negotiate isn't necessary - I just took a look and it seems like just scout gift, scout bonus and scout+ are part of that line. Expert Scout shows up afterwards but I never bought that.

I'm really glad that the reports of excessively easy difficulty level in this game proved to be false. Ten-ish hours in and I'm finding the game hitting exactly the sweet spot -- challenging enough that you can't let your guard down, but without being quite as cheap as some previous entries.

So far I love just about everything about this game, but I do have one big disappointment: no percentage displayed for the compendium. :(

I'm really glad that the reports of excessively easy difficulty level in this game proved to be false. Ten-ish hours in and I'm finding the game hitting exactly the sweet spot -- challenging enough that you can't let your guard down, but without being quite as cheap as some previous entries.

So far I love just about everything about this game, but I do have one big disappointment: no percentage displayed for the compendium. :(

Excessively easy? EXCESSIVELY EASY?! Who the hell was calling this game excessively easy? They're clearly robots.

suzu

Scout+ is pretty cool. Each demon I recruit invites another in the group to come along, and they each bring a gift and some macca - I get about 4k macca plus some items total.

That seems pretty useful. Thanks!

I really love the scouting apps, I get a ton of money and items from recruitment since I'm constantly recruiting/fusing to fill out my compendium. There's one app that makes demons ask others to join with them, and you can even recruit unintelligible demons without the linguistic app through this method. I never took expert scout though, because I just don't need it.

As for negotiating itself, there's a few things to keep in mind. First is that their reactions to specific answers can vary - for example with a Dwarf if you say you respect the elderly he might yell out YOU'RE AFTER MY INHERITANCE and leave, or he might say that and continue the conversation. Don't get discouraged and you'll eventually learn what phrases demons tend to 'like'.

Second, as I say fairly often, always end talks if their item-begging goes on that long. You can usually pick it safely as soon as the option comes up, but if they're just asking for a life stone or whatever I usually hand it over. You'll be surprised how effective this is at getting them to join up.

It just seems a little more frustrating in this game. I don't know why. lol. I didn't really feel this way playing Strange Journey or Nocturne.

But anyway -- thanks for the tips!!

FSLink

Banned

Yeah, I'm dying somewhat regularly, but it hasn't been completely frustrating I want to quit.

For those who finished SMT1-3 + SJ (I haven't), how does 4 compare to them? I've played through some of 1 and 2, and the majority of 3 already but just curious on how people would rank the series.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Excessively easy? EXCESSIVELY EASY?! Who the hell was calling this game excessively easy? They're clearly robots.

The Afterlife DLC can make it like this. I mean, I tried it and holy hell the amount of Light Grimoires and Heavy Grimoires the enemies drop. Need 80.000 xp to level up? No problem, just throw a Heavy Grimoire to make it drop to 0 immediately, hahaha.

You need to have a decent physical skill/attack to harm the mitama enemies though.

Yeah, I'm dying somewhat regularly, but it hasn't been completely frustrating I want to quit.

For those who finished SMT1-3 + SJ (I haven't), how does 4 compare to them? I've played through some of 1 and 2, and the majority of 3 already but just curious on how people would rank the series.

I feel Nocturne is easier (in normal), more brutal (in higher difficulties--still need to access hard to make it a fair comparison in this one), and SJ is about the same (although latter part of SJ can be brutal)

Watashiwa

Just get Scout Gift, like said it seems to be linear progression.

EDIT: Nevermind you caught it. Yeah, I was going to focus on skills first but I'm sick of shit luck at recruiting demons.

WHAT. Oh YHVH damn it all. Fortunately I have some points saved up, but those were going towards MP regen 2.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I tried playing this in 2D to save up battery life, but I ran into depth perception issues on the default camera setting, especially when trying to attack monsters with X. I wonder how everyone else playing with 3D off is managing so far.

Vamphuntr

The thing I like the least about the game is how lame the dungeons are so far. And I'm about in the last 1/4 of the game. Even Nocturne had better dungeons :(

I guess this is the sacrifice they had to make because of the way they balanced the game.

Eusis

If it's any consolation that progression also nets you macca for recruiting demons, meaning it'll ease the blow of paying them off in recruiting (or straight up hiring them.)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
negotiate isn't necessary - I just took a look and it seems like just scout gift, scout bonus and scout+ are part of that line. Expert Scout shows up afterwards but I never bought that.
Goddammit. I knew I was missing some important upgrades, I just had no idea it was tucked behind Scout Gift. I really hope the game starts throwing more 10-AP items my way. So far I only got one, but I'm hopeful.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I tried playing this in 2D to save up battery life, but I ran into depth perception issues on the default camera setting, especially when trying to attack monsters with X. I wonder how everyone else playing with 3D off is managing so far.

It takes a while to get used too, but now it's been pretty easy. The only times I get jumped are when the camera is an awkward position or the game cheaply produce a monster near the entry of a location that I just entered or dropped to.

Spear is probably the easier weapon to pull off this, at least IMO.

Oh, I also skipped Negotiation Apps so far in favor for +skill slots app. Should I invest more in them or should I go for those Mana regeneration apps... hmmmmmmmmmh. The only Negotiation App that you need for a 100% compendium is the bilingual one, correct...?

Busaiku

Holy crap, the Ginza Shopping District armors.
I don't even care about the stats, the Celtic set looks amazing.

Now I'm tempted to do the money DLC (is it even out?).

vall03

Sadly its not, heres hoping we get it this week since Macca is my only problem with the game, and I like to fuse demons a lot.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Wait, there's a money DLC?

Crap crap crap. It would be hard to resist it since I like cosplaying my MC :O

Aeana

He must be playing a different game.

This game is more accessible than previous SMT games, but I would not say it's easier.
I think it becomes easier, but the reason isn't because it's easier, it's because you can get more skill slots and a much larger demon stock than you could in any previous SMT. But it's still up to you to really make it that easy, just like any other SMT.

Eusis

Do I have to activate street pass in those games, or will it just see that whoever played those games and reward you? I have another 3DS so I could just load those games into it, boot it up, and let it idle and get the rewards.

On that note, I think this game may be one of the first to be designed more for 3DS XL than 3DS (or I got too used to the 3DS XL, whatever) because the icons on the bottom screen seem perfect on XL but WAY too small on regular (Mini? Tiny? Anything but phat) 3DS.

Vamphuntr

I don't think money is really a problem once you progress in the game. Once you get to Ginza and get all the cards you can farm the relics there for easy money. There was a point where I was selling my summoning stones, chakra pot, balm of rising and beads because I would have reached the limit I could carry and was annoyed that I would get the warning message when opening chests.

I feel like it has a really rough beginning difficulty compared to the other SMT games but you eventually get a point where you keep carrying good skills from demons and you end up really strong and thrash bosses in 1-2 round.

The first few hours are rough because money is scarce, you and your demons have few skill slots and because you have no way to increase your defense/vitality.

EDIT : Boo beaten by Aeana

I think it becomes easier, but the reason isn't because it's easier, it's because you can get more skill slots and a much larger demon stock than you could in any previous SMT. But it's still up to you to really make it that easy, just like any other SMT.

True enough. Each demon in my current set of demon nulls, repels, or drains at least four different attack types with a couple that are pretty much invulnerable aside from one of mind or nerve damage.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I bought it! (And two copies of EO4.)

I bought it, played it for a while, and wasn't impressed by it.

I plan to play it later on, but now I am scared that I will never play it anymore because coming from SMT IV the difference between the quality of work would be so devastatingly apparent :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The amount of content, depth, and variety in this game can be staggering at times. It's something I've been missing in games for a while. I don't know why I never expected it in the first place (could be the short wait from the announcement 'till the release) but either way it caught me off-guard. Making this game for current or next gen consoles is virtually unfeasible without either compromising the scope or inflating the dev time.

Dresden

The amount of content, depth, and variety in this game can be staggering at times. It's something I've been missing in games for some time. I don't know why I never expected it in the first place (could be the short wait from the announcement 'till the release) but either way it caught me off-guard. Making this game for current or next gen consoles is virtually unfeasible without either compromising the scope or inflating the dev time.

It's breaking my heart that we might never see another game like this again.

The thing I like the least about the game is how lame the dungeons are so far. And I'm about in the last 1/4 of the game. Even Nocturne had better dungeons :(

I guess this is the sacrifice they had to make because of the way they balanced the game.

I'd rather have plain, corridor dungeons with some exploration than bullshit dungeons where you have invisible traps that make you land on damage floors and you have to guess the correct path to proceed. The prison in Nocturne was especially awful and I'm sure there are others that are even shittier than this one.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's breaking my heart that we might never see another game like this again.

Isn't this game selling well?

Although that whole ATLUS bankruptcy thing is really worrisome.

The random whole party wipes are infuriating.

especially when it takes too long to get to load game.

Terminal hopping can be painful too, considering you need to press buttons multiple times to get through Burroughs talking.

I know it's been brought up before, but I can't praise the atmosphere in this game enough. I'll try to avoid any kind of hints at spoilers, but a certain portion of the game was presented entirely different than I expected it to be, for the better. The attention to detail is astounding.

So I'm lost...

I made it to Tokyo, but I can't get the quest to kill Peallaidh. I've found the Rukh egg and the LED bulb. Is there some other prerequisite to getting the quest to kill Peallaidh? I keep going to the place where quests are assigned but I don't get the quest. Any ideas?

So I'm lost...

I made it to Tokyo, but I can't get the quest to kill Peallaidh. I've found the Rukh egg and the LED bulb. Is there some other prerequisite to getting the quest to kill Peallaidh? I keep going to the place where quests are assigned but I don't get the quest. Any ideas?

Did you attempt to cross the river south of Ueno? You first get wind of Peallaidh there and I'm sure it's required for the guy to show up at the bar.

Watashiwa

The amount of content, depth, and variety in this game can be staggering at times. It's something I've been missing in games for a while. I don't know why I never expected it in the first place (could be the short wait from the announcement 'till the release) but either way it caught me off-guard. Making this game for current or next gen consoles is virtually unfeasible without either compromising the scope or inflating the dev time.

You know, as much as I'm enjoying SMT4, the most prominent feeling I have about the entire game is, "Man, wouldn't Strange Journey be awesome if it were in this style?" 3D dungeons, make the Red Sprite an actual hub level, remix the dungeons and have the Demonica take on new armors as overlays to the original suit, make it so you can see your gun and sword on the overworld, add music tracks and voice acting... augh, I should stop before I break my own heart.

Top Bottom