• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Lissar

Reluctant Member
We all need to buy 2-3 more copies of this game ASAP!....If only it were that easy.

I did my part evangelizing the game at a gaming bar last night. Though one guy was sure I meant Persona 4. That was depressing.

I want to see more games like this. :<

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I think is great how ambiguous some of the mission details are. For example, you are told to find the Black Samurai and that's it; no pointer telling where to go, just pure exploration from your part. There were 2 parts where I got lost for hours, but by exploring and talking to people, you get subtle hints that will make it easier to find what you are looking for. Once you do, is oh so satisfying.

Bullza2o

I recently defeated the 1st major boss
that woman demon
. It wasn't really difficult. So I was wondering how difficult the game will become from this point forward, and when I reach Tokyo.

Right now I'm level 9, and i fused quite a lot. I first died on my 3rd battle, and died 3 straight. I always loaded my previous save, so I never paid Charon..not yet at least. So I'm assuming as of now I'm still on Hard mode. Will it become a lot harder soon? This is my first SMT game by the way, with only Persona series experience.

Toki767

I did my part evangelizing the game at a gaming bar last night. Though one guy was sure I meant Persona 4. That was depressing.

I want to see more games like this. :<

There's such a thing as a gaming bar?

I've told my friends who own a 3DS about it. Hopefully they'll pick it up. The $50 tag might stop them though.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm stuck. I just
killed the demon in the government
building and left Shinjuku and went to ikebukuro to find the library. I found the ikebukro tunnel which leads me to the ikebukuro area, but I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to progress. There is a bunch of broken up highway roads that went let me get on them. For reference, I'm near the area where there is a hole in the mountain side where a level 44 demon domain ran by Grendel is. Am I in the wrong area? Did I not do all the mkssions I needed to do ?

PK Gaming

The sidequests in this game are too good, I just finished the
Red vs White
and I find myself wanting more. Other RPGs take note, SMTIV's sidquests are some of the best i've seen.

Finally reached another fight that I'm getting totally trashed in. I could use some advice. It involves the second quest in
Tennoku.

(late-game spoilers ahoy)
Any advice against Beelzebub? I thought I was going to be prepared in spite of my level, I took out Baal without losing anyone - aside from my Hariti I haven't gotten rid of yet :p (Who literally got lost in the fight before.). But Beelzebub has megidolaon, which sort of makes my Makarakarn pointless. He wiped out my whole team in two turns... My MC is at lv 65, and I have a lv71 Cherub and lv 59 Haoma that have been awesome, -karns errywhere, but I think I need a different approach. Or maybe just more levels and different demons.

I'm really only doing this particular quest it's the easiest to get my Hunter ranking up. (No luck with the drops for deliveries right now.)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
There's such a thing as a gaming bar?

We have THREE (and my town only has a population of 150k). I had never gone to any of them. It was surprisingly fun. Ton of arcade/console games to play and really friendly people.

Though apparently no SMT fans. Too bad. I was really hoping to get some related streetpasses. Especially if someone has EOIV or Soul Hackers. I could use more app points. :s

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm stuck. I just
building and left Shinjuku and went to ikebukuro to find the library. I found the ikebukro tunnel which leads me to the ikebukuro area, but I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to progress. There is a bunch of broken up highway roads that went let me get on them. For reference, I'm near the area where there is a hole in the mountain side where a level 44 demon domain ran by Grendel is. Am I in the wrong area? Did I not do all the mkssions I needed to do ?

Did you by any chance do a mission that involves going to shinjuku park?

vall03

Guys, please tell me that theres a side-quest for Isabeau looking for manga volumes in Tokyo, because I'd seriously love to see her reactions. lol

We have THREE (and my town only has a population of 150k). I had never gone to any of them. It was surprisingly fun. Ton of arcade/console games to play and really friendly people.

Though apparently no SMT fans. Too bad. I was really hoping to get some related streetpasses. Especially if someone has EOIV or Soul Hackers. I could use more app points. :s
This is why I asked friends and family with open SP slots to let me activate Soul Hackers' StreetPass on their 3DSes. D-Souls nearly every day now! :)

I'm stuck. I just

It's hard to spot but you can reach the high tower/building in that area. Took me a while to find that out. Just follow the circular road leading to the building.

Guys, please tell me that theres a side-quest for Isabeau looking for manga volumes in Tokyo, because I'd seriously love to see her reactions. lol

Not a sidequest, but she finds the next edition of a manga she's reading in
Ginza
and asks if you'll give her time to read it.

Saprol

The Naraku sidequest for
fighting David sucked. Only my MC survived on the run that I managed to win. Mamudo/Blight spam cleaned out my entire demon stock. :/

Finally reached another fight that I'm getting totally trashed in. I could use some advice. It involves the second quest in
Tennoku.

(late-game spoilers ahoy)
Any advice against Beelzebub? I thought I was going to be prepared in spite of my level, I took out Baal without losing anyone - aside from my Hariti I haven't gotten rid of yet :p (Who literally got lost in the fight before.). But Beelzebub has megidolaon, which sort of makes my Makarakarn pointless. He wiped out my whole team in two turns... My MC is at lv 65, and I have a lv71 Cherub and lv 59 Haoma that have been awesome, -karns errywhere, but I think I need a different approach. Or maybe just more levels and different demons.

I'm really only doing this particular quest it's the easiest to get my Hunter ranking up. (No luck with the drops for deliveries right now.)

This guy is a sack of shit. I was doing pretty fantastic for most of this portion of the game and thought I could take out Beelzebub no problem. His Megidolaon just ruined me time and time again though. If I remember correctly there's a really expensive piece of equipment in one of the locked off areas of Ginza that makes the battle MUCH easier. Sorry I can't share details. ='( It's been a while.

I'm so happy that people are finally sharing in the excitement I had for this game when it first came out in Japan. It really is a blast from the past.

vall03

Not a sidequest, but she finds the next edition of a manga she's reading in
Ginza
and asks if you'll give her time to read it.
Oh? I'm still in
Ginza
, but the scene I had is that she found Vol5, and comments that she has only read up until Vol3 and decides not to pick it up because she wants to read them in order. I was waiting for Burroughs to speak, but sadly no quest :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is why I asked friends and family with open SP slots to let me activate Soul Hackers' StreetPass on their 3DSes. D-Souls nearly every day now! :)

Uh... I have two 3DSes. Maybe I can use this feature too?

But I have to use the streetpass from either Soul Hacker or EOIV huh... IIRC it's not far in EOIV before you're allowed to use streetpass functionality but what about Soul Hacker?

Can the streetpass functionality in here used repeatedly?

Hey, might as well make use that Soul Hacker cartridge while I am at it!

I finally got locked in for the neutral ending, so I'm pretty excited. Luckily, I already did a ton of the sidequests before the lock (against the advice I've seen on the Internet), so that lessens the amount of work I need to do now.

My MC is Lv73 right now and he's just demolishing everything with Megidola. Literally destroys mobs in one hit. It's been pretty nice. After Concentrate + Megidola and a few buff/debuffs, I'm doing about 3k damage to the bosses.

This guy is a sack of shit. I was doing pretty fantastic for most of this portion of the game and thought I could take out Beelzebub no problem. His Megidolaon just ruined me time and time again though. If I remember correctly there's a really expensive piece of equipment in one of the locked off areas of Ginza that makes the battle MUCH easier. Sorry I can't share details. ='( It's been a while.

I'm so happy that people are finally sharing in the excitement I had for this game when it first came out in Japan. It really is a blast from the past.

I almost forgot about that!
And I *might* actually have enough Macca to open everything now...

The game is damn fantastic. Definitely my GOTY, and my favorite SMT that I've had the chance to play. After I've had my fill of it (i.e. all the endings), I think I'll go out and get Nocturne, since I always hear good things about it. I never had a PS2 so I missed out, gotta rectify that though.

Mononoke

Banned
It's hard to spot but you can reach the high tower/building in that area. Took me a while to find that out. Just follow the circular road leading to the building.

Damn thank you so much. Was losing my mind over this. Thought I was crazy. Wasted an hour trying to find the path.

Edit: sigh I'm still stuck. I'm convinced I half to be in the wrong area. I can't find this area you are talking about. It's so frustrating. Just running in circles.

Double edit: just found it. I feel so stupid. There is a tiny part of the rail that is darker grey than the rest. It was right in front of me the whole time. Aaaaargh.

Damn thank you so much. Was losing my mind over this. Thought I was crazy. Wasted an hour trying to find the path.

Edit: sigh I'm still stuck. I'm convinced I half to be in the wrong area. I can't find this area you are talking about. It's so frustrating. Just running in circles.

Double edit: just found it. I feel so stupid. There is a tiny part of the rail that is darker grey than the rest. It was right in front of me the whole time. Aaaaargh.

Haha yeah, it's easy to miss.

Post Shibuys question

So where is the Ring of Gaea place I need to head to? I remember finding a place associated with them where I couldn't proceed. Is it there? A little help please?

BlackJace

So, Walter sort of questioned my decision to slay the Tokyo Govt boss. Does that mean I lost Chaos points, or gained Law/Neutral points?

Is there any rhyme or reason to conversing with demons? I'm in the first area, and I'm finding the whole process to be incredibly frustrating!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there any rhyme or reason to conversing with demons? I'm in the first area, and I'm finding the whole process to be incredibly frustrating!

Yeah there's supposedly be a pattern, although I could have sworn it's really entirely random. I mean, many occasions happening where the same demon A who says "Ok that's cool" on respond A making the respond "FUCK YOU!" on respond A on later encounters.

*scratches head*

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
So uh (Ikebukuro spoilers)
Kaga dies just like that? I was expecting her to be a much more important character. Kind of a waste.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Yeah, there is.

When I got to Tokyo (about 8 hours after the beginning), recruiting demons was second nature. I can practically get any demon that I want.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I got the Jirae Talisman and defeated the demon everyone in Ring of Gaea is after. For some reason I thought those were the requirements to get rid of the fire barrier in the Shinjuku garden as well, but it's not. So how do I do it?

Ikebukuru story boss spoiler:
I can't believe Kaga went down so soon. I thought she's have a bigger role lol.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I got the Jirae Talisman and defeated the demon everyone in Ring of Gaea is after. For some reason I thought those were the requirements to get rid of the fire barrier in the Shinjuku garden as well, but it's not. So how do I do it?

Ikebukuru story boss spoiler:
I can't believe Kaga went down so soon. I thought she's have a bigger role lol.

That area is a little later (but soon!) It will be obvious when you have the ability to go through it.

Busaiku

Yeah, I definitely don't feel as strongly about those pathetic story complaints.
It's not amazing or anything, but I'm taking to the world and characters just fine.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Has anyone streetpassed someone that's playing SMTIV?

Tomorrow I'm gonna walk around NOA's campus too see if anybody there is playing it.

Top Bottom