• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Looking back, almost every occasion where things felt 'unfair' involved being hit with Blight. Early on, with no easy way to recover from massive party damage, that's absolutely killer.

Conclusion: Blight is an asshole.

I always keep a Null Phys demon on me now. If I could finally just get Makarakarn, my party could be nigh invincible.

alichino

I have two questions regarding early sidequests

- The cursed gauntlet: Where is the Treasure room?

- Missing Child Search: Where are the City Outskirts?

I've read that these options should be available to choose but I navigate the castle and such and cannot find any of these.

For both The Cursed Gauntlet and Missing Child Search, you have to go into your quest menu and accept each quest manually in order for said location to appear.

Ourobolus

Banned
For the 4 relic quests you get all at once relatively early on in Tokyo, like trying to find a Power Cable...

I assume these are just random relic drops or something? I haven't come across anything.

scy

Looking back, almost every occasion where things felt 'unfair' involved being hit with Blight. Early on, with no easy way to recover from massive party damage, that's absolutely killer.

By around the 30s, Blight stopped being stupid for me. Well, unless they hit it twice.

Titanomachia took its spot as the "Oof, they went first guess I'll--oh, everybody died" skill.

I always keep a Null Phys demon on me now. If I could finally just get Makarakarn, my party could be nigh invincible.

Are you going to the compendium and setting makarakarn as a spell you want in the search options? I did that every time I got a new demon until I eventually fused a demon with tetrakarn and makarakarn. Now, it's slightly unnecessary since at least one of my team nulls, repels, or drains four or more attack types.

duckroll

For the 4 relic quests you get all at once relatively early on in Tokyo, like trying to find a Power Cable...

I assume these are just random relic drops or something? I haven't come across anything.

It's not random. They're in specific places but you just have to come across them. Some are relics guarded by Domains, so if you try to harvest a relic at a certain store entrance and you're told there's a Domain there, you know that there's a quest item behind it.

Are you going to the compendium and setting makarakarn as a spell you want in the search options? I did that every time I got a new demon until I eventually fused a demon with tetrakarn and makarakarn. Now, it's slightly unnecessary since at least one of my team nulls, repels, or drains four or more attack types.

I actually haven't done that in a while, and sure enough, I finally have some results. Thanks for the reminder!

GeekyDad

Not sure how long this game is but when it's pulled me for 19 or so hours and it's just, "intrigue" and "not much has happened" at this point then I feel like there is something seriously wrong.

Some folks, when they eat a piece of chocolate, they like to gobble it all in a single bite; other folks like to nibble and savor the flavor. You strike me as a gobble-kinda guy.

The game pulled me in with its daunting intro music. I don't need to be hit the face with twists and turns, but they do happen eventually, and it makes the payoff that much sweeter.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Some folks, when they eat a piece of chocolate, they like to gobble it all in a single bite; other folks like to nibble and savor the flavor. You strike me as a gobble-kinda guy.

The game pulled me in with its daunting intro music. I don't need to be hit the face with twists and turns, but they do happen eventually, and it makes the payoff that much sweeter.

To me I see it as SMT having separate segments for worldbuilding and moving forward on plot. It's as if the game isn't able to do both and this annoys me. It's not a matter of savoring. I love worldbuilding. It's fascinating and cool. However, when it does do this, I feel that the plot is gravely neglected. It's a simple matter of feeling that the game isn't able to juggle both aspects of the game's story and as a result it falls apart in my eyes.

duckroll

Still can't find blasted Shibuya. Can someone post directions from Shinjuku?

Spoiler them.

From Shinjuku head left on the world map, then at the end of the road head downwards. You should be in a new part of the map now and after exploring a bit you should come across a subway station next to a skyscraper which is a demon's Domain. The subway will take you to Shibuya.

Just got this game in the mail. I have a regular 3DS. Should I wait and upgrade to an XL before playing it or jump right in? Is the save file on the cart or will I have to transfer between systems? Also if I get it an XL what's the cheapest way to import a console from the U.S to Australia? (Excluding eBay).

BlackJace

The atmosphere in Tokyo would drive me insane. Sometimes I'll just look up and see the eerily lit buildings and dark ceiling and just stare.

I wouldn't function properly at all.

Group of demons got to attack first against me, all three used Blight, complete party wipe. Woo!

(Blight is such a dick ability.)

Vamphuntr

It's weird it seems that some battles have a damage cap and some others don't. I hit the last boss for 1450 damage but the one before would cap at 999.

daveo42

Banned

Yeah, that ability sucks and is usually the reason why I wipe against hordes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
As far as advanced physical skills go, what's more powerful than Blight? And speaking of which, I think "weak physical" is a BS description lol.

GeekyDad

To me I see it as SMT having separate segments for worldbuilding and moving forward on plot. It's as if the game isn't able to do both and this annoys me. It's not a matter of savoring. I love worldbuilding. It's fascinating and cool. However, when it does do this, I feel that the plot is gravely neglected. It's a simple matter of feeling that the game isn't able to juggle both aspects of the game's story and as a result it falls apart in my eyes.

I'm not sure how you can say that. The game doles out plot pretty much every leg of the way. If you're 19 hours in, you should have been getting nice, little bits the whole time, unless you've spent those 19 hours grinding in Naraku. Heck, the NPCs even offer new dialogue at a steady clip as you progress the main quest. The sidequests offer glimpses into what's going in Tokyo, and the demon-related quests inject flavorful bits of mythology. I just flat out disagree with your assessment/taste. No, there's not a lot of banter between characters, and the stuff that is here matters in terms of spelling out the tale. But the outline of the story is built like a brick shithouse, as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, I haven't finished the game yet. But from my 36 hours of play, that's how I perceive it.

Ties

Banned
I'm lost.

Post-Katsumigaseki:
Okay, I searched everywhere in the Terminal building, found the armor, scanned the control room, and even visited K's blackboard on Gabby's request with nothing new appearing, but there are still no ferries opened up for me to go into Shinjuku.

Found the military base:

I like how Johnathan doesn't see how obviously evil Abbot Hugo is. Thus I had to side with Walter, and probably swung towards chaos. Stop being so naive John.

I'm lost.

Post-Katsumigaseki:
Okay, I searched everywhere in the Terminal building, found the armor, scanned the control room, and even visited K's blackboard on Gabby's request with nothing new appearing, but there are still no ferries opened up for me to go into Shinjuku.

The ferry should be north of Kasumigaseki, at the river. Is it still closed down for you?

Goby

Banned
I've been wondering, who made that ridiculous boxart anyway? And which reviews actually said those stuff?

It was made on 4chan

And 85% of those quotes aren't trolling but from "professional" reviews

The persona ones in particular.

Show what a joke "professional" review sites are

CSX

I really find it cool how some people cross reference world map with real map of Tokyo to figure out where locations are

NeonZ

It was made on 4chan

And 85% of those quotes aren't trolling but from "professional" reviews

They're often completly out of context though, even skipping important parts of the text.

I have to deliver film to someone in Ueno for a side mission. Anyone mind spoilering where the person is?

She's in a temple above Ueno.
Leave undeground Ueno through the exit that leads to a square with some platforms in the water, and then leave through the other exit. You'll go back to map view, in an area which should appear to be a dead end with only an empty building if you went there before. However, if the quest is activated, she'll be waiting for you there in the building.

coopolon

Wow. On my way to Shinjuku I stumbled into a random domain, and even though the enemies are around my level or a little higher they are still giving me tons of exp. Too bad the big boss demon murders me in one turn.

Edit: WTF? Why is there a level 75 demon as the boss for a domain where all the other demons are 25? I thought I just hadn't found his weakness before I looked at his level.

ACESmkII

It would be nice to have a huge hardcover strategy guide for this game...

...The free one that comes with LE is nice though.

I'm really enjoying this so far, the fact that things are all random seems a bit lazy but kinda adds to the hilarity of most situations. I simply can't get enough of some of the results of the demon conversations.

My favorite bits so far are that you can actually Crit while begging (the more I think about this, the more I chuckle), and that one conversation where I talked a demon into eating itself.

I'm trying to avoid my penchant (more like pathetic compulsion) for grinding, but damn if the game being built around save-anywhere isn't making me abuse it :p

Ourobolus

Banned
It's not random. They're in specific places but you just have to come across them. Some are relics guarded by Domains, so if you try to harvest a relic at a certain store entrance and you're told there's a Domain there, you know that there's a quest item behind it.

Gotcha. I remember doing that for the LED lightbulb, but it was relatively close to the bar. The other four must be scattered (Hugo's requests).

Gotcha. I remember doing that for the LED lightbulb, but it was relatively close to the bar. The other four must be scattered (Hugo's requests).

I seem to recall finding most of them organically as I was exploring each area that I came across. The only way I even knew I had done anything is that Burroughs popped up with her message about the quest complete thing.

lupin23rd

Wow. On my way to Shinjuku I stumbled into a random domain, and even though the enemies are around my level or a little higher they are still giving me tons of exp. Too bad the big boss demon murders me in one turn.

Edit: WTF? Why is there a level 75 demon as the boss for a domain where all the other demons are 25? I thought I just hadn't found his weakness before I looked at his level.

Ended up in the same place at level 22, but a party of Raiju, Quicksilver, and Hooligan, most of whom had Agilao, decimated him pretty good.

Plumpman

So, I'm thinking of doing that gamestop 50% promo and trading in my original 3ds for an xl (fairly good deal), as well as picking up SMTIV.

Is SMTIV made of enough awesome to warrant this? Its itching at me.

Top Bottom