• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

epmode

Nothing else to say about SMT IV except the save anywhere feature is a godsend in this series. Haven't played Nocturne. Is it in that one as well?

Save points.

I feel like the save anywhere thing, while a time saver, has allowed Atlus to be particularly careless in encounter design. Oh well.

Save points.

I feel like the save anywhere thing, while a time saver, has allowed Atlus to be particularly careless in encounter design. Oh well.

I can't tell if it's allowing them to be more careless, or I'm playing more carelessly. Either way, the result is me dying way more than I did in Nocturne. Basically all the stuff that, taken out of context, would seem to make the game easier than the series has been to date (save anywhere, fuse anywhere, full HP/MP recovery upon leveling) is more than offset by the rest of the game's balancing.

Well I'm seeing how powerful element affinities can be. I tried fighting a demon in a quest that was probably too powerful for me, he was casting powerful lighting spells and wiped my team while one demon on my squad nulled lighting. The enemy kept casting that lighting spell to no avail. It took a bunch of turns, but this last demon standing beat him pretty much solo.

Busaiku

NoRéN;72199676 said:
Slaying the Dragon of the Lake quest

does it matter how i answer the question?

Yes, it affects alignment.
To be fodder or whatever it was is Law.
To be revered or something is Chaos.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Law is monotheistic.
I realized this the hard way (but luckily there were other things to save me).
LMAO that makes sense I guess

But in general
finishing enemies off instead of sparing them
should get you chaos aligned right?

coopolon

Boss is easy, to be honest. His level is amazingly deceptive.

Whatever. If this guy gets to go first I am immediately dead, rapid fire then maziodyne. I don't have any weaknesses either.

I guess I could try fusing to get a null persona but this guy is no cakewalk.

Busaiku

Damn, I picked the latter assuming it was Law. Oh, well.

Yeah, it's easy to mistake it if you think things are straightforward like that.
You've just gotta keep in mind that Law isn't necessarily good and Chaos isn't necessarily evil.

Though, that question isn't worth too many points.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Whatever. If this guy gets to go first I am immediately dead, rapid fire then maziodyne. I don't have any weaknesses either.

I guess I could try fusing to get a null persona but this guy is no cakewalk.

Aeana beat him at level 24 I believe. I was closer to 30. Using lots of buffs and debuffs helps.

hawk2025

I'm loving this game so, so much. I love the demon design, I love the snappy but deep gameplay, with fusions, whispering and app points, and I especially love the atmosphere and general setting of the game.

I've decided to absolutely not worry about alignment at all. Whatever decisions I think are best, is what I'll do. However, do we know yet if any of the particular endings are considered "better" or "worse"? I'm assuming that some people would rather have the answer to this spoiler-tagged, so please do so :)

So what do you guys prefer: the populated but dystopian setting of IV or the bleak, barren and desolate post-apocalypse of Nocturne?

I'm kinda of torn. I like the NPC's and slightly cyberpunk undertones of IV, but Nocturnes world was a character onto itself.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Aeana beat him at level 24 I believe. I was closer to 30. Using lots of buffs and debuffs helps.
Definitely don't underestimate this strategy for anything you can't beat due to damage. I start out every boss with 2x rakukaja and an attack debuff now. Managed to beat (Shibuya proximity)
Grendel
at level 20 by keeping up a full defense buff on my party and attack debuff on him whereas he 1-shotted everyone without them.

However, do we know yet if any of the particular endings are considered "better" or "worse"? I'm assuming that some people would rather have the answer to this spoiler-tagged, so please do so :)
Neutral is supposed to be the most desirable ending, but also the most difficult to get

coopolon

I don't understand sabbatma skill. I can summon demons at any time, why do I need a skill? Is it just to let demons fill an empty spot?

Was finally able to fuse my Avatar in game. Thoughts on his stats? I'm a bit happy at how his resistances turned out.

1002134_10201828878072197_1226229818_n.jpg

PK Gaming

Was finally able to fuse my Avatar in game. Thoughts on his stats? I'm a bit happy at how his resistances turned out.

Woah check out all of those resistances... I don't recall Loki ever having that many resistances, so i'm guessing you added a couple of Null skills, right?

Anyway, that's a really strong Loki.

Dresden

Looking good.

---

My last two boss fights have gone like this:

MC dies in the first turn (first was due to getting slammed by a crit, second due to getting slammed by repel after a charge move), then the rest of the party auto attack for a few minutes because they were all null phys but ran out of mp after stacking buffs and no one could be swapped out.

Woah check out all of those resistances... I don't recall Loki ever having that many resistances, so i'm guessing you added a couple of Null skills, right?

Anyway, that's a really strong Loki.

Yeah through the many steps it took to fuse him, I made sure to bring all of the null attributes the original demons had. So far he's been pretty great as you can imagine.

I don't understand sabbatma skill. I can summon demons at any time, why do I need a skill? Is it just to let demons fill an empty spot?

It's for situations where you don't want to waste a Press Turn to get to your MC's turn or when your MC is KO'd. In practice, this means that you can replace a demon while your MC can do something else.

Croc

Banned
So are there any consequences to lowering the difficulty or will it only just make the game a bit easier? I'm having fun playing on the regular difficulty but due to a situation at work I'm working mad OT for probably the next month or so, so I'm not really able to give a lot of attention to the game and all of the extra time this difficulty is taking me.

And what does lowering the difficulty change? Hoping it's just stats and such.

PK Gaming

Sadly I couldn't fuse my avatar Demon. He's an accident demon (WHY) and even if I could fuse him, he's too low of a level for my party (lvl 37)

Maybe next time :(

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member

It's useful for resurrecting a demon that got killed mid-battle. The normal rez skill will revive a demon, but they will stay in your stock and you need the hero to waste a turn calling them in. With Sab, you will revive the demon and put them back into the fight immediately. It's worth having in my opinion.

So what do you guys prefer: the populated but dystopian setting of IV or the bleak, barren and desolate post-apocalypse of Nocturne?

I'm kinda of torn. I like the NPC's and slightly cyberpunk undertones of IV, but Nocturnes world was a character onto itself.

IV is my favorite SMT setting to date.

Yeah, it's easy to mistake it if you think things are straightforward like that.
You've just gotta keep in mind that Law isn't necessarily good and Chaos isn't necessarily evil.

Though, that question isn't worth too many points.

Believe it or not I was actually thinking outside the box as best I could. At the point in the game where you fight him I felt like the game was setting up Law to be just as "bad" (if not worse) as Chaos.

cj_iwakura

Boss is easy, to be honest. His level is amazingly deceptive.

If this means who I think it means, bring Raiji and lightning resist armor.

Laugh.

Need a word of advice on the Tokyo Metropolitan quest:
Will sparing the demon affect any dialogue with Kayama? Since I haven't met him and all, I don't want to burn the bridge, but I'm kind of siding with the demon here... even though fighting him was a LOT more fun.

is there a lot of missable/guide-necessary stuff in this? I kind of want to play from scratch but don't really want to miss out on stuff or hit a crazy brick wall

And the ending type stuff, there's no real "best" right? They are all just different based on alignment?

Nexas

Ok this some bullshit (spoilers for the point were alignments become permanent):

Ok so reloaded an earlier save so that I could take the Neutral path and I went with Walter instead of Jonathon. So I then go through both alternate versions of Tokyo and get to the final alignment choice with the White. I picked maintain the status quo to offset what I assumed was a Chaos surplus, but I get to the white forest and Jonathon and Gabriel are there. So I reload before the Kenji fight and then pick destroy the order of things and Walter and Lucifer are there. That means that before the final choice my alignment was sitting close to zero. So essentially I'm being punished for being TOO Neutral.

How much macca does the fundraise skill generally net you? How successful is it? I'd like to know before I waste app points on something useless.

Top Bottom