• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

KarmaCow

Whelp I went from 20 to 25 in about 45mins from wandering around
Shinjuku
. I didn't mean to do that, I was simply looking for the next area and making sure I didn't miss anything. :(

Whelp I went from 20 to 25 in about 45mins from wandering around
Shinjuku
. I didn't mean to do that, I was simply looking for the next area and making sure I didn't miss anything. :(

I know that feeling, I'm in a new area that I started at around level 46 or 47 less than an hour later of exploration I'm up to 55. After the opening of the game, level gain feels a bit more generous.

Young Magus

Reposting....
Did you do the fight
where Kaga dies

If so, then the next thing you should do is
find the Black Samurai, which is inside a building of the poisonous area you dropped from a bridge at Ikebukuro

I did not do that fight, where/how do I trigger it?

So, I'm thinking of doing that gamestop 50% promo and trading in my original 3ds for an xl (fairly good deal), as well as picking up SMTIV.

Is SMTIV made of enough awesome to warrant this? Its itching at me.
Very much so my friend.

This is my first SMT game. I came into this game totally blind and I am liking it, but I feel like I am playing it wrong. What kind of game is this supposed to be? What should the general gameplay be like? Is this a grindy game where I should grind to beat a boss? Should I be trying to find the right combination of demons to beat a boss instead of grinding and leveling?

I just got back from the forest after the fire and while going through the Navarre part of Naraku, I felt like any battle in there could wipe my party. Any monster could get the jump on me, crit me, hit me with something someone is weak to, and kill me before I had the chance to recover. The bosses were just killing multiple demons in my party in one turn. I had no chance. I got through it by doing the delivery quests to get new armor, fusing a bit (and getting a happy accident that gave me a level 14 Hau Pao), and then grinding to level up.

I just beat Kagome Tower. I'm very proud of my demons for clearing every hurdle without my having to fuse any of them. Sadly, a few of them will probably be obsolete soon. Enemies are starting to quickly KO them with skills that don't hit their weaknesses.

This is my first SMT game. I came into this game totally blind and I am liking it, but I feel like I am playing it wrong. What kind of game is this supposed to be? What should the general gameplay be like? Is this a grindy game where I should grind to beat a boss? Should I be trying to find the right combination of demons to beat a boss instead of grinding and leveling?

Finding the right combination of demons and skills is far more important. Some grinding may be necessary if your MC needs an additional level in order to fuse the demon you want, but most of the time you'll pick up tons of levels as you explore.

I just got back from the forest after the fire and while going through the Navarre part of Naraku, I felt like any battle in there could wipe my party. Any monster could get the jump on me, crit me, hit me with something someone is weak to, and kill me before I had the chance to recover. The bosses were just killing multiple demons in my party in one turn. I had no chance. I got through it by doing the delivery quests to get new armor, fusing a bit (and getting a happy accident that gave me a level 14 Hau Pao), and then grinding to level up.

You're going to feel like that for a while. With a balanced set of resistances and a little luck, you can limit the instances of full party wipes, but they still happen.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure where to go next with apps and have 70 app points sitting in the bank. So far I've bought all the skill slots for mc/demons, skill mutate, and a few demon slots, nothing else.

Thinking of either going for full compendium cost upgrade (50% off compendium prices), or the mp regen line, which is super expensive but apparently can be upgraded to heal the entire party's mp by walking. Would be nice to have my physical attackers who don't have mp drain moves to be able to use skills as much as they want, and also free up the skill slot for demons who do have it.

Any suggestions? Haven't gotten demolingual yet either since I've been fusing fine without it.

BearChair

I'm a little confused as to what I am supposed to be doing in the game now. I hope someone can help me.

I found the military base and got the new quests to find things like the generator and whatnot from K's. Where am I supposed to be looking for this stuff? Do I just stay around the lefthand side of the river and explore north or south? Or are these items that I will find randomly as relics?

Thanks

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm a little confused as to what I am supposed to be doing in the game now. I hope someone can help me.

I found the military base and got the new quests to find things like the generator and whatnot from K's. Where am I supposed to be looking for this stuff? Do I just stay around the lefthand side of the river and explore north or south? Or are these items that I will find randomly as relics?

Thanks

Those are just side missions. Right now you gotta go to Shinjuku.

KarmaCow

Grinding only helps insofar as it lets you fuse specific demons. Resistances and weakness of your party (and the enemy) matter much more than stats. I think everyone felt the same way about the intro, the game seems to have an inverted difficulty curve. The beginning is tough because you have little options to deal with everything the game throws at you but once you unlock things like more skill slots, it becomes far more manageable.

Thanks

It's a little unclear but the dudes who previously said they were too busy to smuggle you across the river will do it now and let you get to the next area.

There's no need to grind at all. If you get stuck, try some new equipment and fuse some new demons to fit the job. The fusion system is very flexible so it's easy to get a demon with resistances you need with a good skillset as well. On bosses, try to find weaknesses (if they have any) and form a team around exploiting that. Buffs and debuffs are very good in the game as well. When you're just exploring, it's good to have a team that can hit every element at least.

The game gets much easier past the beginning though.

I discovered a demon domain known as Yodogawa Camera. But there seems to be nothing in it except some good fusion material demons.

There's no need to grind at all. If you get stuck, try some new equipment and fuse some new demons to fit the job. The fusion system is very flexible so it's easy to get a demon with resistances you need with a good skillset as well. On bosses, try to find weaknesses (if they have any) and form a team around exploiting that. Buffs and debuffs are very good in the game as well. When you're just exploring, it's good to have a team that can hit every element at least.

The game gets much easier past the beginning though.

Saying there is no need to grind is a bit obtuse. There is definitely a chance that you will need to grind to win, if you lack the money or demons necessary to prey on a bosses weakness.

"Reinforcements Have Arrived"

stupidest shit in the game right here.

God, I've had battles that lasted upwards of 7 minutes. Four separate waves of reinforcements.

So how many demons have you guys evolved? Who were they? I'm about 10 hours in and I haven't evolved anyone yet. Is it worth keeping weaklings around to evolve them?

KarmaCow

God, I've had battles that lasted upwards of 7 minutes. Four separate waves of reinforcements.

So how many demons have you guys evolved? Who were they? I'm about 10 hours in and I haven't evolved anyone yet. Is it worth keeping weaklings around to evolve them?

When a demon gets all its skills it'll tell you that it will transform/evolve later on each subsequent level up (until it does of course). I think the first demon you get that can evolve is Jack Frost.

Well I'm 21 hours in and I haven't had to grind yet.

And I'm saying that "there's no need to grind" based on your experience is kinda... shortsighted. It is actually pretty possible for a new player to not have one of the elements on their team, and finding themselves having to grind up the levels of their MC or demons.

MechaX

Here's my contribution to the debate about how fair/unfair SMT IV is:

Okay guys, seriously, while there's a bit of luck involved in every negotiation and battle, I think there are enough factors you can control which makes it pretty fair. Think of it as Poker, where luck is a component but how you influence that and manage it against the other players is what makes it..... wait..... WHAT? I just got wiped by Blight again? FUCK THIS SHIT!

:)

Yeah, Blight is just as bad as "SURPRISE MUDO/HAMA/CRITICAL PHYSICAL ATTACK" that led to 2 second deaths in Nocturne.

Thank God for the save everywhere feature.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
When a demon gets all its skills it'll tell you that it will transform/evolve later on each subsequent level up (until it does of course). I think the first demon you get that can evolve is Jack Frost.

I believe the first is Angel (but takes awhile for her to evolve. At level 12.)

daveo42

Banned

It'll give you a heads up that it's coming.

First demon that you get that can evolve is Angel. I think the 2nd is Jack Frost.

I've had three our for demons evolve. There was a list earlier in the thread... Here it is:

So I looked up evolutions on a Japanese site and translated the information they had. Numbers indicate transformation level. (Putting this under spoilers just in case there are people who would rather not know!)

Divine Angel (12) -> Divine Arch Angel (22) -> Divine Principality (30) -> Divine Power (37) -> Divine Virtue (46) -> Divine Dominion (56) -> Divine Throne (62) -> Divine Cherub

Fairy Jack Frost (20) -> Jaki Wendigo

Drake Mushussu (51) -> Drake Tiamat (62) -> Drake Ym

Spirit Poltergeist (17) -> Spirit Quick Silver

Jaki Gremlin (14) -> Wilder Raiju

Night Wild Hunt (58) -> Tyrant Abaddon

Holy Heqet (11) -> Lady Dzelarhons

Jirae Kuebiko (49) -> Avatar Uka no Mitama

Avatar Chimera (52) -> Beast Orthrus (66) -> Beast Cerberus

Kishin Mou-Ryo (28) -> Spirit Inferno (39) -> Wilder Porewit

Beast Kabuso (23) -> Nymph Senri (32) -> Beast Nekomata

Vile Tao Tie (62) -> Wilder Taown

Femme Yomotsu-Shikome (31) -> Brute Yomotsu-Ikusa

Holy Airavata (53) -> Jaki Girimehkala

Yoma Koppa Tengu (22) -> Yoma Karasu Tengu

Fairy Kelpie (42) -> Yoma Valkyrie

Vermin Ubu (26) -> Jirae Tsuchigumo

Undead Corpse (39) -> Fallen Nebiros

Femme Dakini (69) -> Femme Kali

Night Kaiwan (44) -> Fallen Decarabia

I generally don't worry much about evolution. If a demon is still useful when the appropriate level comes around, then sure, I'll let it evolve, but if the demon hasn't been pulling it's weight, and I can fuse it into something better, I'll do that well before it evolves.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I've actually kept my original Angel and have evolved her all the way into a Throne. Three levels until the last evolution. It's been fun times.

The online info for this game sucks.

I can't find what skills Apis will learn upon leveling up. Should I bother leveling him, or should I fuse him and Ictinike for a delicious ice resisting Pyro Jack?

The online info for this game sucks.

I can't find what skills Apis will learn upon leveling up. Should I bother leveling him, or should I fuse him and Ictinike for a delicious ice resisting Pyro Jack?

I don't have my copy with me, but doesn't the Art Design & Strategy book have that kind of stuff in it, it may not but I thought it did.

Otherwise this site has some info, but I can't say how completely accurate it is http://erikku.github.io/smt4tool/

EDIT: And beaten

PK Gaming

Ok I think I hit the point where "shit just gets real"

I finished the true face of evil quest, and it was really well done too. The further you get in the dungeon, the more you get that sense of "this isn't right." Tayama's speech at the end of the questline was great as well.

I'm legitimately conflicted here :X

EDIT: Things are really heating up, I hope the game keep up the momentum!

Ok I think I hit the point where "shit just gets real"

I finished the true face of evil quest, and it was really well done too. The further you get in the dungeon, the more you get that sense of "this isn't right." Tayama's speech at the end of the questline was great as well.

I'm legitimately conflicted here :X

That whole quest was awesome. The sense of dread as you talk to the NPCs was phenomenal.

Thanks!

So here is the deal. I have 6 skill slots for this Pyro Jack and these moves competing:

Agilao, Dekunda (remove debuffs), Resist Ice, Life Drain, Resist Elec, Rakukaja (+defense), Resist Force, Resist Light.

I'm thinking: Agilao, Dekunda, Life Drain, Resist Ice, Resist Elec, Resist Force.

Dekunda seems too useful to pass up. Thankfully my Jack Frost has Rakukaja.

Should I stuff Resist Light on him in place of Res Elec or Res Force? Should I bother with Life Drain? I mainly want something for backup in case an enemy resists Agilao.

CSX

Awwwwww yeah. Die for me plus mp party recovery equals laid back grinding :p

GliQYVh.jpg

What in the actual fuck. Why would this game throw a demon territory with a boss that is level 75... I am level 20. Why why why. What the fuck Shinjuku.

And the regular enemies are only level 20 or so. Why...

Gabe3208

Banned
Is there a way to capture screenshots to your SD card kind of like how you can do it on Animal Crossing or the Wii U Gamepad for MiiVerse? I wanted to save some shots from this game.

What in the actual fuck. Why would this game throw a demon territory with a boss that is level 75... I am level 20. Why why why. What the fuck Shinjuku.

And the regular enemies are only level 20 or so. Why...
I'm positive that boss exists just to show how little levels matter in this game.

brainpann

Nothing else to say about SMT IV except the save anywhere feature is a godsend in this series. Haven't played Nocturne. Is it in that one as well?

Top Bottom