• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Totakeke

How viable is sea of chaos? Anyone use it? I'm thinking of switching it out for my megido?

I like it, deals about 300-500 damage depending on the alignment of the demons for my MC at ~200 mag stat. Of course, I didn't really compare it to Megido- spells to know how they compare.

There's also a Law version of the spell, wished there's one for neutral. :p

Energy/Spirit Drain is a must in my opinion for healers/casters, so that means only one skill left, so basically I need to decide whether my Norn is going to be a Mediarahan machine or an Almighty spamming machine.

Hmmm, any thoughts guys? Which do you think will benefit the more?

I have so many demons to switch around I never really needed any of the drain spells. If you think about it, they're a waste of turns if you can just switch out for half an action.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I finished the game on Neutral, and now I'm going to wait to play on Law/Bad End (even though those playthroughs would be quicker). I don't want to burn out since I've already put like 90 hours into the game.

I am sad I am not playing anymore. I feel lonely. Someone, please hold me.

Watashiwa

I finished the game on Neutral, and now I'm going to wait to play on Law/Bad End (even though those playthroughs would be quicker). I don't want to burn out since I've already put like 90 hours into the game.

I am sad I am not playing anymore. I feel lonely. Someone, please hold me.

Sounds like it's time to play SMT2 again.

Xenoflare

Just got to the
part where you find out the Black Samurai has the same face as Gabby.
Shit just got real.

Tetrakarn and Makarakarn is turning this game into a cakewalk.

Later bosses would bitch slap you if you use any reflect spells.

They will automatically start to whip out Megidolaons out of their ass.

Beelzebub taught me the bad side of using them :(

I don't know how, but I ended up on neutral. It's okay because I've been trying to play the game as close to what I believe to be right. I'll save the fun chaos and law routes for NG+.

Very late game spoilers:
does this mean I now hafta fight both the demons and angels?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How can one pick a Neutral path? I mean, I *think* I have been careful to mold my guy to follow the Neutral path, and I always check my alignment on Hunter Associations and they always say "MC is a hard guy to guess, which I guess it's a cool thing to do since you do your own thing."

And yet
after finishing the Tayama building event and returning to Eastern Kingdom of Mikado
I am
still forced to choose between Jonathan or Walter and can't basically leave
before I do so.

Since I think it is the point of the game that I must choose my alignment and yet I can't pick Neutral, I must have done something wrong but I just can't figure out what (for the purpose of next playthrough.)

Any info on this? (however if this info requires telling me how the game ends then disregard my request)

For early gameplay, should I go for Skill expansion apps for myself, or my demons? Or should I focus on different classes of apps? Or is it best to bide my time and accumulate App points?

Also, when is the Demolingual app useful? And how liberal should I be when fusing demons? Is it best to just keep fusing no matter what? Or are there advantages to not fusing demons?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
If you haven't played it in a while, I definitely recommend it. Lots of wonderful SMT2 feels while playing 4.

I don't usually like to play too much of one series all at once, but you guys are tempting me too much.

I don't know how, but I ended up on neutral. It's okay because I've been trying to play the game as close to what I believe to be right. I'll save the fun chaos and law routes for NG+.

Very late game spoilers:
does this mean I now hafta fight both the demons and angels?

Yeeeeep. At least not all at once.

How can one pick a Neutral path? I mean, I *think* I have been careful to mold my guy to follow the Neutral path, and I always check my alignment on Hunter Associations and they always say "MC is a hard guy to guess, which I guess it's a cool thing to do since you do your own thing."

And yet
after finishing the Tayama building event and returning to Eastern Kingdom of Mikado
I am
still forced to choose between Jonathan or Walter and can't basically leave
before I do so.

Since I think it is the point of the game that I must choose my alignment and yet I can't pick Neutral, I must have done something wrong but I just can't figure out what (for the purpose of next playthrough.)

Any info on this? (however if this info requires telling me how the game ends then disregard my request)

You are still quite some time before you're locked in to your alignment. At that point those are the only choices you can make.

For early gameplay, should I go for Skill expansion apps for myself, or my demons? Or should I focus on different classes of apps? Or is it best to bide my time and accumulate App points?

Also, when is the Demolingual useful?

Demolingual is useful for talking to demons you couldn't otherwise. (They usually speak what seems like nonsense). I liked it, since I like getting all demons available in an area (and you can get them later by using other apps, just not directly) but it's not something everyone cares about.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished the game. It certainly started off tough, but the game quickly got easier and easier as I put points into Ma, finishing with 306 at level 64. Almighty skills and extremely high Ma is imba or something.

My alignment was Neutral
according to the dude in the bar (but I guess it actually wasn't in the end since Stephen didn't come up?)
, but I didn't manage to get the corresponding ending. I'll have to look into how that stuff works since it seemed
I only had three choices in the end and not four
. The one I actually got was messed up and I shouldn't have made that choice, heh.

Edit: Ah... I see.
I got the bad ending for choosing to end the world. Reloaded my save and chose to destroy order only to meet Stephen, so I guess my path was the Neutral one after all.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You are still quite some time before you're locked in to your alignment. At that point those are the only choices you can make.

Wow, seriously? I honestly thought that would be the tipping point and if I do things right Isabeau will say something different to me.

Huhhh.

Is there any way to check your alignment
after the cities has been demolished
?

Aeana

Whats the best version of SMT II to play?

The GBA version has more content and neat rewards for each ending. The PSX version is nicer to look at/sounds better. Both have significantly improved UIs over the original. But the SNES one is the only one that's in English.

Poyunch

Late-game spoilers

So those people you save from the tower, were those the other angels? For a while I suspected them to be dopplegangers of Walter, Isabeaa, and Jonathan.

duckroll

The GBA version has more content and neat rewards for each ending. The PSX version is nicer to look at/sounds better. Both have significantly improved UIs over the original. But the SNES one is the only one that's in English.

We really need a SMT1+2 remake, preferably on 3DS since the audience already has Soul Hackers and SMT4. I have full confidence in Yamai and his "Maniax Team" to pull it off!

Am I the only one who thinks that the bosses are easy as shit in this game?
We really need a SMT1+2 remake, preferably on 3DS since the audience already has Soul Hackers and SMT4. I have full confidence in Yamai and his "Maniax Team" to pull it off!
I'd be down. Though SMT2 (original SNES) holds up surprisingly well.

Young Magus

Just beaten the game around level 80 and got the neutral ending.

I gotta say that I was a wonderful experience from start to finish. The gameplay, the setting, the characters, I really enjoyed the game from all sides. The story was pretty interesting and really had a lotta depth and content that harbors back to the other games as well not only in themes but in reference to their plot as well. To those that said that this was a return of the style of SMT 1&2, I now want to see those games get a remake of some sort.

I wish I could write more and more about how I loved my time with this game but I'm too tired right now to do it any justice. In the end, Shin Megami Tensei IV did not disappoint me one bit. Easily my GOTY (well so far any way)

Am I the only one who thinks that the bosses are easy as shit in this game?

I'd be down. Though SMT2 (original SNES) holds up surprisingly well.

No, you're not alone on this! I keep thinking the same thing, and to be honest I could say that the whole normal game is easy.

And..... Am I the only one who think that the shops kinda useless? I mean I was like so close to the end game and my char still wearing those black demonica outfit. The equipment prices in this game seriously not even cheap at all, that's why I skipped shopping most of the time. Take a look at those armor in Ginza? 300k+++ Macca?
Man... I played almost 80 hours and never I had 300k macca in my pocket! I survived many bosses without even change my equipment, though. XD

But overall this game rocks!

God damn it. I want a challenge!
I know Soul Hackers was too hard but I want something in between! Why not have a difficulty level if SMTIII? Or at least the latter Persona games.

Aeana

I know Soul Hackers was too hard but I want something in between! Why not have a difficulty level if SMTIII? Or at least the latter Persona games.

It.. was?
Soul Hackers is super easy, IMO. And I don't think SMT4 is particularly easier than 3, either, it's just that since it's more convenient to build demons that have all of the skills you need, you're more likely to have them, which I guess results in a bit of 'ease.' But SMT3 has exactly the same kind of bell curve that 4 has where it's tougher in the beginning, super easy in the middle, and a bit more difficult toward the end.

It.. was?
Soul Hackers is super easy, IMO. And I don't think SMT4 is particularly easier than 3, either, it's just that since it's more convenient to build demons that have all of the skills you need, you're more likely to have them, which I guess results in a bit of 'ease.' But SMT3 has exactly the same kind of bell curve that 4 has where it's tougher in the beginning, super easy in the middle, and a bit more difficult toward the end.
Soul Hackers was difficult because finding the right demon abilities was a pain in the ass. As for SMTIII, I haven't played it for years. Being honest when I played it I didn't really know how to play Megaten games so that may explain it. They really need to do a SMTIII port to Steam, Vita, and or 3DS.

It.. was?

That kind of curve is pretty common to the series, and RPGs in general. It's not something that is easy to design around.

Soulhouf

Soul Hackers is one of the easier megaten. SMTIV was challenging in the beginning but since it's so easy to break it by choosing the good skills when you fuse demons, it becomes easier toward the end. I didn't get a single game over since I arrived in Tokyo. Charon, I miss you...

Scouting female demon

?: You're kinda handsome

MC: Oh hush you

?: Wow mister your so arrogant....that's so hot!

female demon joins team!

Like shooting fish in a barrel *smh*

vall03

Its so annoying to stumble upon a chest and then learn that you have too many of the item in your inventory. Why the limit?!

duckroll

Its so annoying to stumble upon a chest and then learn that you have too many of the item in your inventory. Why the limit?!

To remind you to visit the storekeepers more often so you can hear those great lines. :D

"Hi, what do you need?"

"Come again!"

"Oh, a hunter."

"Make sure you bring more macca next time."

Soulhouf

My golden rule: always sell half of the item inventory limit. I don't ever use items anyway so they always end up being my main source of macca.

Forkball

I feel bad when I make a whole new demon team. My old guys worked so hard...

[edit] "I LOOKED UPON A MAN WHO WAS NOT MY FATHER IN HIS NAKEDNESS"

vall03

To remind you to visit the storekeepers more often so you can hear those great lines. :D

"Hi, what do you need?"

"Come again!"

"Oh, a hunter."

"Make sure you bring more macca next time."

Fair enough, the music on both item and equipment stores are great too!

Sakura

Damn. Don't have enough chaos points to get into neutral, and I really don't feel like replaying the game, and I don't want to do law or chaos routes. I wish I had a much earlier save. There aren't enough decision points in the current area to give me enough chaos. Oh well.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I need quick help: I'm choosing odd choices right now for the sake of experimentation. If I get hit with an undesirable ending (e.g. bad ending) will the game automatically overwrite my last save or give me a choice?

Aeana

I need quick help: I'm choosing odd choices right now for the sake of experimentation. If I get hit with an undesirable ending (e.g. bad ending) will the game automatically overwrite my last save or give me a choice?

It won't overwrite your save. You just have to reload.

That Roppongi overworld theme.

H9D5iap.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Spoilers after the fight where the bad ending can occur:

I was mostly Chaos but I chose to preserve the tuts quo at that point. I'm now in a white area, I was told I let down god, demons, and I'm walking my own path. Stephen showed up. Does that mean I'm Neutral?

Aeana

I was mostly Chaos but I chose to preserve the tuts quo at that point. I'm now in a white area, I was told I let down god, demons, and I'm walking my own path. Stephen showed up. Does that mean I'm Neutral?

Sure does.

Welcome to the cool kids club.

What do you want to sell? Thanks! What do you want to sell? Thanks! What do you wa-- Any other business I can he-- COME AGAIN!

Item shop lady needs to count her blessings that her theme music kicks ass.

vall03

What do you want to sell? Thanks! What do you want to sell? Thanks! What do you wa-- Any other business I can he-- COME AGAIN!

Item shop lady needs to count her blessings that her theme music kicks ass.

So good!

Just realized someone uploaded it recently, been waiting for someone to do it since last week. Physical OST release when?!

Esura

Banned
^ Loving that Alice avatar.

Finished this game a few hours ago at 63:13:12 on Neutral route. Had a lv. 90 MC, lv. 90 Alice, lv. 95 Shiva, level 90-something Vishnu by the end of the game. Pretty fun game. Biggest issue was the extremely vague directions and the inconsistent and questionable art direction with demons, especially certain later demons
Lucifer looks like a cross between a crackhead ET and a Beetleborg villain in golden armor...wtf?

Hopefully one of these days SMT1 and 2 gets remade so I can get on that.

Top Bottom