• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Busaiku

Alright, hit Neutral, following this guide (contains mid/late spoilers):
1. 1st option in all dialogue choices, including boss fights where something "ethical" is involved
2. No challenge quests that are unnecessary to progress story. You will do most of them in the end.
3. Side with Jonathan at split
4. Go left 3 times on hallway of questions
5. After defeating the boss in Burning Tokyo at Camp Ichigya, choose not to press remote. Then save. Enter room again and press remote.
6. "Destroy the Status Quo" when that question is asked by 4 White Ones
7. Do not talk to the suicidal woman in Ikeburo. Save when you enter Ikeburo and if you talk to her, reload save.

However, I did do a couple Challenge Quests.
The Black Card quest and the 1st 3 quests in
Blasted Shibuya

I think this is the simplest way without having to worry about anything.

Man, this game is just so perfect. I'm not even sure how to describe it. I feel like this is the most enthralled I've been by a game since Earthbound. Every part of it feels like it was handcrafted specifically for me.

I just got to the point when the guy in the bar will tell me what my alignment is. I seem to be neutral right now. As long as I can stay off Law I'll be happy.

ohlawd

Alright, hit Neutral, following this guide (contains mid/late spoilers):
1. 1st option in all dialogue choices, including boss fights where something "ethical" is involved
2. No challenge quests that are unnecessary to progress story. You will do most of them in the end.
3. Side with Jonathan at split
4. Go left 3 times on hallway of questions
5. After defeating the boss in Burning Tokyo at Camp Ichigya, choose not to press remote. Then save. Enter room again and press remote.
6. "Destroy the Status Quo" when that question is asked by 4 White Ones
7. Do not talk to the suicidal woman in Ikeburo. Save when you enter Ikeburo and if you talk to her, reload save.

However, I did do a couple Challenge Quests.
The Black Card quest and the 1st 3 quests in
Blasted Shibuya

I think this is the simplest way without having to worry about anything.
Oh snap thanks for this.

k Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1.... I haven't even started you guys and you can fuck off. SMTIV is back in the 3DS, babeh.

So it is totally safe to ignore challenge quests unrelated to the story until later? But aren't some of them limited-time only and can't be finished after a certain point?

Varna

How would I go about fusing Archangel? Looks like its the last demon I need for
Alice

EDIT: Edit, well not for her. but one of the demons I need for her.

Busaiku

So it is totally safe to ignore challenge quests unrelated to the story until later? But aren't some of them limited-time only and can't be finished after a certain point?

All Mikado quests will be closed, but unless you wanna worry about the values and whatnot, just skip them.
Osiris quest will also be closed if you don't do the coffin part before the lock, but I'm not sure if it affects anything.

GeekyDad

Question for anyone who's defeated
Red Rider
(Late Neutral-path spoiler):
Do you have to go through that whole process of trying to get him to spawn each and every time you want to fight him, or just the first time? This is getting crazy!

vall03

Red Rider
Do you have to go through that whole process of trying to get him to spawn each and every time you want to fight him, or just the first time? This is getting crazy!

Someone here suggested to die the first time, pay Charon and then save, which will basically allow you to fight him as many times as you want.

Red Rider
The first time. If you die, just pay Charon and save. That way, you can challenge him indefinitely so as long as you don't leave.

GeekyDad

Someone here suggested to die the first time, pay Charon and then save, which will basically allow you to fight him as many times as you want.

The first time. If you die, just pay Charon and save. That way, you can challenge him indefinitely so as long as you don't leave.

Ugh...think I might just take a pass on this dude. Don't think I have the patience for all that nonsense. Besides, it's not like I need to make my MC or demons more powerful. They're already overpowered.

Thanks for clarification on that, though.

CSX

Ugh...think I might just take a pass on this dude. Don't think I have the patience for all that nonsense. Besides, it's not like I need to make my MC or demons more powerful. They're already overpowered.

Thanks for clarification on that, though.

Gotta survive on the first turn and get that ice going. Then pray you dont get crit and you might just win!

Also you forgot the other award. You get to fuse him!

EDIT : IF you want to know what the battle is like, heres my post about when i first encountered him

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73241961&postcount=9300

ohlawd

All Mikado quests will be closed, but unless you wanna worry about the values and whatnot, just skip them.
Osiris quest will also be closed if you don't do the coffin part before the lock, but I'm not sure if it affects anything.

Got it, thankies.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, hopefully I can finish this neutral run before next Sunday.

GeekyDad

Gotta survive on the first turn and get that ice going. Then pray you dont get crit and you might just win!

Also you forgot the other award. You get to fuse him!

Yeah, no, I really do wanna be able to do the battle itself, and like you said, having him to fuse would be sweet. But good God, the process to spawn him is soooooooooooooooooooooo tedious! Guess I'll at least try and do it once.

CSX

Yeah, no, I really do wanna be able to do the battle itself, and like you said, having him to fuse would be sweet. But good God, the process to spawn him is soooooooooooooooooooooo tedious! Guess I'll at least try and do it once.

Get some show , movie, etc in the background and start reloading that save lol

ohlawd

oh yeah should I bother going for that neutral path exclusive sword if I'm mostly a magic user? Doesn't that need 100 Str?

I'm lvl 77 or something with <30 Str.

lol I got about 200-240~ magic, >100 Luck and <80 Agility...

Quadratic

Sorry if it's been asked but it's a huge thread that a search didn't yield results.

Is the DLC on the eshop worth buying? I'm only 4 hours in and wondering if the $1 armour, the $1.99 XP booster and the @2.99 money making thing useful?

Man, I'm going through this game really really slow. I'm grinding like hell, and I'm fusing demons like crazy. Four hours in and I just finished the part where the guest characters join you in battle the first time.

This is my first SMT game, and I have to wonder, am I playing this correctly?

RyoonZ

Banned
Beat the game last night! Definitely RPG of the year for me. Can't wait for Persona 5, hopefully it'll get announced at TGS with a trailer.

Alucrid

Banned
oh my god i can't decide...story spoilers

WALTER OR JOHNATHAN
WALTER OR JOHNATHAN
WALTER OR JOHNATHAN
WALTER OR JOHNATHAN
WALTER OR JOHNATHAN
WALTER OR JOHNATHAN
WALTER OR JOHNATHAN
WALTER OR JOHNATHAN

Alucrid

Banned
That's not even the worst decision to make.

wtf

i'm just sitting here with no idea what to do. can't i just run off with that
girl whose name i forget

walter seems too eager for the whole survival of the fittest
johnathan seems like a prissy cock
i dont like lilith or the angels

can't i just kill everyone and do it my way ala nocturne?

Totakeke

wtf

girl whose name i forget

There's more than two endings in the game, just play on and all of those require you choosing between walter and jonathan.

Alucrid

Banned
There's more than two endings in the game, just play on and all of those require you choosing between walter and jonathan.

thanks, i decided to with walter then despite leaving johnathan's hair behind. it shall be missed

edit: oh god, i've made a huge mistake.

It's weird. A lot of people said they finished in about 50 hours, and I knew at about 50 hours I wasn't near the end, but I didn't expect that I'd take another 30, so I went from thinking "THIS GAME NEVER ENDS" to actually feeling the ending was almost abrupt.

wtf

girl whose name i forget

Oh trust me, there's more ahead. A lot more to come.

Son of a... This damn money DLC, I got the needed 10 golden jets, traded them in to the weirdo for the beast arterius. Problem is I did this same process for the experience DLC, and got a new fairy type demon in the special fusion section, so wheni go in looking for the new beast one... And nothing.

Anyone know what is going on or what I am doing wrong? I am one frustrated SMT'er.

Spoil me because I'm never touching the
Law route
:3

Ok.

LAW ROUTE END SPOILERS

Isabeu decides to side with Chaos, because the law route basically has you basically committing genocide by using the Yamato reactor to make a black hole that will swallow up Tokyo (including you and the four archangels fused with Jonathan). She calls you out on genocide and asks if you think you can be forgiven, most answers to the question have her raging ("I dont need to be forgiven" "no it wont be forgiven"). Then when she gets to low HP you can select to stay your hand and offer to help her off the ground, she slaps your hand away, gets extremely mad and sounds on the verge of tears and says to not offer her kindness, you are committed to your decision as is she. Then she collapses going "I thought I had gotten stronger..." and dies. :(

Busaiku

I finished Chaos already and after reading Corn's post... not the same thing unless you're referring to Neutral?

Not Neutral, but I remember that being the same thing for Chaos.
II guess the only difference might be the offering her a hand or something. But it's the same thing maybe with a different action.

Dresden

Uh, Busaiku didn't spoil neutral. What happens in Chaos (ending spoilers, if anyone didn't realize it by now)
is a mirror of what happens in Law, as in, what happens to Jonathan is mirrored by what happens to Walter, and in both routes, Isabeau battles you and kills herself at the end.

ohlawd

oh is that how? When I did Chaos I chose the option that had Isabeau commit suicide afterwards. So the other option she just dies due to her wounds? Ultimately, it doesn't matter what your alignment is since her fate is the same?

lols this is all my bad. Sorreh. I didn't know what the other option lead to so I lead to conclusions. Pls correct if wrong :3

Reveirg

Wow, just finished the game. One of the best RPGs of recent years.

I'm more nervous than ever about Atlus' fate =/.

Catherine, Persona 4 Golden and SMT4 are some of my favourite games from the last 5 years.

Top Bottom