• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Dunbar

Played the tutorial dungeon for a few hours, and I think I finally have a handle on things. My stock is full of demons and I haven't died recently. The Press Turn system is really, really cool - I love being able to get a preemptive strike and wipe out the enemy before they can take a turn - but it's pretty weird how it's counterbalanced by total randomness in other places. There's no pattern that I can see to the demon negotiation and it gets old having no idea what is going on with those. Also, the few times I've died are when enemies spawn right next to me and get the jump on me in battle, crippling my party before I have a chance to act. Not a dealbreaker, but an odd design choice considering the Press Turn system seems designed to reward strategy, planning and attention to detail. I'll try to finish up the tutorial and play some more tomorrow.

I can't find these damned coffee beans. I cleared out all the other quests (at least the ones that I've found). These beans are the only thing between me and whatever the hell happens next in this crazy, wonderful game.

Busaiku

I can't find these damned coffee beans. I cleared out all the other quests (at least the ones that I've found). These beans are the only thing between me and whatever the hell happens next in this crazy, wonderful game.

In Shinjuku East Entrance, check the building to the right of the right exit.
It's not guaranteed, but I've gotten it multiple times there.

In Shinjuku East Entrance, check the building to the right of the right exit.
It's not guaranteed, but I've gotten it multiple times there.

Thanks. I've run Shinjuku multiple times for this thing, but it's good to know I'm at least looking in the right place. (I know the quest says, "Shinkjuku department store," but I was beginning to worry it was on the world map or a random drop from combat).

GeekyDad

Before I go fucking insane, will someone please give me the quickest directions to the Ring of Gaea HQ?

You need to go to the Tokyo Station and talk to the dude that previously would not let you pass. If you've done everything you needed to do, you should be able to get past him, and there you.

Found Ginza finally. How does one unlock the secret shop? Quest chain?

You need to go to the Tokyo Station and talk to the dude that previously would not let you pass. If you've done everything you needed to do, you should be able to get past him, and there you.

lol I already completed the game once. I know what to do, but couldn't find it on the world map.

george_us

Just got to the
part where you find out the Black Samurai has the same face as Gabby.
Shit just got real.

Tetrakarn and Makarakarn is turning this game into a cakewalk.

Jessicat

Help plz, the Hills spoilers:
this reverse hills place, the button pushing on the first floor is driving me bonkers ;>> Which ones do I turn on to open the door? I can handle OP bosses, just not stupid crap like this XD The lack of proper repel and the fact that everything is bright blue doesn't help. Thanks in advance

TWILT

Banned
So I'm at the point where
I have pick between following Jonathan (to kill Lilith) or Walter (to find power or something). This is the point where I can either get -10 for Walter or +10 for Jonathan right? How far am I in the game roughly?

Found Ginza finally. How does one unlock the secret shop? Quest chain?

Yep, sidequests. Go to the area above and talk to the people near those exits to figure out where to go. It involves a lot of money so... be prepared lol.

I just unlocked it today and those armor prices are no joke!

ohlawd

Help plz, the Hills spoilers:
this reverse hills place, the button pushing on the first floor is driving me bonkers ;>> Which ones do I turn on to open the door? I can handle OP bosses, just not stupid crap like this XD The lack of proper repel and the fact that everything is bright blue doesn't help. Thanks in advance

None of those rooms with the buttons need to be pressed to progress. If you press a button and it works, you can enter it for an item. If it doesn't work, it doesn't do anything so leave it alone.

You need to enter the other buttonless rooms though to get card keys to access the elevators.

Yep, sidequests. Go to the area above and talk to the people near those exits to figure out where to go. It involves a lot of money so... be prepared lol.

I just unlocked it today and those armor prices are no joke!

Seriously. I had to blow my entire compendium allowance to buy some demonica chest armor. It's not fashionable (not with my white knight leggings and silver helm), but at least it's got no weaknesses. I found a town that gives up a good number of four and five-star relics. I don't know if that will be a reasonable way to earn enough for accessories.

Alright, hit Neutral, following this guide (contains mid/late spoilers):
1. 1st option in all dialogue choices, including boss fights where something "ethical" is involved
2. No challenge quests that are unnecessary to progress story. You will do most of them in the end.
3. Side with Jonathan at split
4. Go left 3 times on hallway of questions
5. After defeating the boss in Burning Tokyo at Camp Ichigya, choose not to press remote. Then save. Enter room again and press remote.
6. "Destroy the Status Quo" when that question is asked by 4 White Ones
7. Do not talk to the suicidal woman in Ikeburo. Save when you enter Ikeburo and if you talk to her, reload save.

However, I did do a couple Challenge Quests.
The Black Card quest and the 1st 3 quests in
Blasted Shibuya

I think this is the simplest way without having to worry about anything.

Oh man, thanks,
I love you

I'll just finish Luigi's Mansion and I'm back for this Neutral ending.

Hope it doesn't take a lot of hours. :p

And
first option including even the bosses in the alternate worlds ?

Velcro Fly

So I just finished the quest where you
have to rescue Navarre
in the beginning.
I didn't have anything with Poismudi so I just plowed through with dis-poisons and Media
. Really wish I had the app points for a 6th skill slot for my MC. Right now I have Bufu, Zio, Zan, Media, and Tarukaja.
Of course a lot of the tougher enemies around this part are weak to Agi which I don't have!
Pretty sure I have Bufu at +4 and the rest are +2 and Media is new so it is just normal.

I do have the needed Life Stones to get the white samurai armor though. Definitely loving the game right now even though I'm only about 4.5 hours in. Getting better at striking enemies. I find if they are in front of me it's easier to stand still and let them come at me. Much easier time with that.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I've been calculating my law/chaos points using a guide. I calculated out 10 or 11. According to Cynical Man I am neutral. Shit idk how many points I am at. But I know I was Polite before Ginza. Should I side with Walter or Jon given that? I did side with Jon last time so....

Jessicat

None of those rooms with the buttons need to be pressed to progress. If you press a button and it works, you can enter it for an item. If it doesn't work, it doesn't do anything so leave it alone.

You need to enter the other buttonless rooms though to get card keys to access the elevators.
I have the key, I've talked to everyone in every room there but can't progress through the door that "seems to be locked" ._.; Do I need to backtrack to the first building?o_O

ohlawd

I have the key, I've talked to everyone in every room there but can't progress through the door that "seems to be locked" ._.; Do I need to backtrack to the first building?o_O

woah that's weird. So you got the card key from the gas masked dude and still can't use the elevators on the west side?

Sorry then, iunno :(

So a bit of discussion about late game spoilerz:

When you hit the Yamato Reactor switch you go to a world of Law where there is absolute desolation in the form of sand. Pluto spreads poison to keep the unclean ones underground. The people underground try to fix this situation. As a result, killing Pluto is considered a Chaotic action. I guess it was supposed to show off the benefits of chaos. Interestingly enough, Jon never really voices any concern.

Meanwhile in Chaos world humans and demons coexist. I actually found it pretty interesting how the world was in contrast to Tayama's utopia. We have humans being fed on by demons, but the humans do so voluntarily and it doesn't seem as damaging a process. Or at least it takes longer for severe damage to show. Sure it seems a bum deal for the humans, but that sort of coexistence is better than an outright massacre. The hero of this world is Akira, a lawful demonoid who wants equality for everyone regardless of power level. What is interesting here is that Walter makes a remark over this, while Jon never really criticized the Akira of the lawful dystopia.

Overall the world of chaos seems way better than the world of law. Not that I am surprised given the SMT tradition of being ever so slightly biased towards chaos (well neutral really, but that wasn't a world visited by Yamato and whenever it is a chaos/law divide SMT tends to make chaos slightly more sensible.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Were there difficulty options in Strange Journey? 10 hours in I'm finding normal SMTIV much harder (and I played 40 hours of SJ). No soft reset really sucks too.

GeekyDad

Beat that mother fucker, finally! Used a relatively low-level Cerberus with Bufudyne in place of my high-level Vishnu who kept getting easily wasted. Dude wasn't foolin' around. Dem fiends mean bidness.

Was a close one, too, as I spent all my cash to get revived by Charon and couldn't afford much in the way of fusion.

Were their difficulties options in Strange Journey? 10 hours in I'm finding normal SMTIV much harder. No soft reset really sucks too.

SJ didn't as far as I remember. And SMTIV is way way easier than SJ after you get higher in level.

Strange Journey fucked up for me by stressing the importance of having matching alignment demons, and then going "lol actually just kidding, assemble a team where every demon is different alignment!" which fucked up my perfect team and forced me into a situation where I would have had to grind for hours and hours (decided not to finish the game).

Meanwhile in this game you can fuse demons that can handle most any threat, and then fuse them up slowly to up their power while retaining all the useful skills. And this will last you the entire game.

If you want some help, late game bosses in SMTIV are extremely EXTREMELY susceptible to the physical reflecting skill, and the magical reflecting skill. Get a demon with good HP with mediarahan or whatever that full team heal is (and eventually Salvation).

Oh and Luck seems to be the one stat to rule them all, since it is decent in just about every build. If you get high luck (like in the 100's and above) you can put Die for Me or Judgement Light on your main character and clear out any and every high level mob not resistant to insta death.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
SJ didn't as far as I remember. And SMTIV is way way easier than SJ after you get higher in level.

Strange Journey fucked up for me by stressing the importance of having matching alignment demons, and then going "lol actually just kidding, assemble a team where every demon is different alignment!" which fucked up my perfect team and forced me into a situation where I would have had to grind for hours and hours (decided not to finish the game).
When did that happen? Alignment wasn't much of a problem for me. I got 40 hours into SJ before stopping due to a boss that would have required lots of grinding and demon fusing to beat. Status ailment bosses are the worst.
CornBurrito said:
Meanwhile in this game you can fuse demons that can handle most any threat, and then fuse them up slowly to up their power while retaining all the useful skills. And this will last you the entire game.
That's what I've been doing, but they're still far more susceptible to damage than my demons in SJ. In one turn 2-3 can be KO'd by one or two moves. Maybe Luck is the cause, but boss battles vary on whether this happens or not. Fights in SJ were much more predictable than IV. Even recruiting demons is simpler and somewhat easier than IV.
CornBurrito said:
If you want some help, late game bosses in SMTIV are extremely EXTREMELY susceptible to the physical reflecting skill, and the magical reflecting skill. Get a demon with good HP with mediarahan or whatever that full team heal is (and eventually Salvation).

Oh and Luck seems to be the one stat to rule them all, since it is decent in just about every build. If you get high luck (like in the 100's and above) you can put Die for Me or Judgement Light on your main character and clear out any and every high level mob not resistant to insta death.
Thanks for the pro-tips. I'll be putting more points into Luck from now on.

When did that happen? Alignment wasn't much of a problem for me. I got 40 hours into SJ before stopping due to a boss that would have required lots of grinding and demon fusing to beat. Status ailment bosses are the worst.

Final boss of SJ has a skill that banishes and prevents you from resummoning for the duration of the battle, demons of X alignment. If your team is all of one alignment, you fight solo when it decides to use that skill :)

That's what I've been doing, but they're still far my susceptible to damage than my demons in SJ. In one turn 2-3 can be KO'd by one or two moves. Maybe Luck is the cause, but boss battles vary on whether this happens or not. Fights in SJ were much more predictable than IV. Even recruiting demons is simpler and somewhat easier than IV.

Thanks for the pro-tips. I'll be putting more points into Luck from now on.

Most boss fights early and mid game in SMT IV are essentially: go in, get fucked while trying to find out the bosses weakness, reload save and now fuck over boss by preying on its weakness.

I lost to a boss twice before finally figuring out how weak it was to the phys reflect spell. Then I bested it easily without a sweat. When bosses finally stop being weak to anything (because the end game bosses usually spam holy spells) you no longer really need to do that and have a team that can dish out good damage, debuffing/buffing, and healing. Luster Candy, Debilitate, and Medirarahan are indispensable.

Also yeah, sometimes an enemy gets a crit and smirks, and can wipe out your entire team on a single turn. It happens and it sucks, but they don't tend to repeat that every time you rechallenge. And they mostly tend to get crits and smirks with multi-hit phys or gun moves. Invest in that phys reflect skill. It is AMAZING.

And yeah recruiting in this game is shit. It gets somewhat better with apps.

Watashiwa

When did that happen? Alignment wasn't much of a problem for me. I got 40 hours into SJ before stopping due to a boss that would have required lots of grinding and demon fusing to beat. Status ailment bosses are the worst

You ARE aware that's why the password system exists? They made the game so punishingly tough because they knew that players would have the option of getting a full team of demons tailor made to shred any boss with a minimum of effort.

jwhit28

Medusa is such an eye opener. I was rolling right up until that fight. Now I'm not sure what to do besides level some more and get to fusing.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You ARE aware that's why the password system exists? They made the game so punishingly tough because they knew that players would have the option of getting a full team of demons tailor made to shred any boss with a minimum of effort.
Except you know, Macca costs to summon. >_<

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So!

I have an opportunity to fuse a Norn that can Null everything. Problem is, it only leaves two slots left for skills. Any recommendations as to with what skills I best fill them with? Maybe Mediarahan and...........?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Almighty attack? Can't go wrong with that

Energy/Spirit Drain is a must in my opinion for healers/casters, so that means only one skill left, so basically I need to decide whether my Norn is going to be a Mediarahan machine or an Almighty spamming machine.

Hmmm, any thoughts guys? Which do you think will benefit the more?

Top Bottom