• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Money isn't a problem if you just sell most of your items. The "this item is awesome I better hold onto it just in case I need it but then will proceed to go the entire game without ever using them because I might need them later" items are worth a lot of macca and if you just sell them you'll have tons.

coopolon

Looks like the one faq up on gamefaqs is near/ at completion. Just wanted to mention it (it's been very incompletely for awhile, he must have done some massive updates recently). Because he includes all the quest text it actually resembles in guide that comes with the game quite a bit.

Edit: just a heads up, there is no attempt at avoiding spoilers so be careful when using it.

Personally, from now on whenever I need to go somewhere I'm just going to look for it in the faq. I am so tired of getting lost in this game.

Hopefully someone makes a complete directions guide sometime. That thread on gamefaqs is a good start, but its missing a lot of stuff still.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I guess "Don Heeho" in Shinjuku must be a play on Don Quixote? (I would never have known this if not for the Yakuza series, haha.)

Yep! Almost everything was subtly (or not so subtly) changed for the game. Docomo became Docoka etc.

Money isn't a problem if you just sell most of your items. The "this item is awesome I better hold onto it just in case I need it but then will proceed to go the entire game without ever using them because I might need them later" items are worth a lot of macca and if you just sell them you'll have tons.

Summon Stones? Who needs 'em. *50k macca*

Dresden

Chakra pots and dis-poison are the only curatives I've used so far. And the latter, never, once I fused something with Posumudi. Everything else should just go towards funding Ginza armor purchases.

duckroll

Chakra pots and dis-poison are the only curatives I've used so far. And the latter, never, once I fused something with Posumudi. Everything else should just go towards funding Ginza armor purchases.

I actually ran out of Dis-Poisons several times. Eventually I got sick of it because it was so stupid of me, so I always have at least one demon in my stock with that fucking spell now.

CSX

I actually ran out of Dis-Poisons several times. Eventually I got sick of it because it was so stupid of me, so I always have at least one demon in my stock with that fucking spell now.

Dont enemies drop them like candy? I'm always at least near full stock and i havent bought any since the beginning of the game

Can someone tell me where the
Shinjuku of the anarchy Tokyo is? Akira said it was further west of Camp Ichigaya
but I have felt like I have combed the whole western portion of the map and have yet to locate it.

thefil

Noted. It's too bad macca is such a pain to come by... I guess the same goes for selling equipment? I tend to enjoy collecting and holding onto things, like my original armor. Should I just sell things like that and take the macca instead?

Also, is it just me, or does swapping to "Fellow" difficulty make scouting easier too? Or perhaps I'm just lucky sometimes...

I've been using Expert Fundraiser for money. I normally extort that last demon in any battle, and I'd say 50%+ of my money just comes in this way. I'm 22 hours in and have 40000+ macca and can comfortably compendium anything without breaking my bank or going relic grinding.

It does sound like I should start selling items though, as I have several at capacity.

coopolon

Dont enemies drop them like candy? I'm always at least near full stock and i havent bought any since the beginning of the game

They do, but you get poisoned/sick even more often. Whenever I have foolishly forgotten to carry over posmudi in a fusion I've started getting low on them.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Shinjuku of the anarchy Tokyo is? Akira said it was further west of Camp Ichigaya
but I have felt like I have combed the whole western portion of the map and have yet to locate it.

It's almost right next to
Camp Ichigaya. Go there and head slightly left. You have to walk over some poison to get to it. It'll pop on the map as you get really close

Go to the Kasumigaseki terminal and head North. It's the white building directly north of the guy who ferries you to Shinjuku.

Thanks. I found it myself last night after leaving the topic, but I still appreciate the answer. The areas/directions for a lot of these challenge quests are complete garbage.

NeonZ

It's behind an area covered by poison on the map.

twelver

My Principality just mentioned a premonition and evolution after leveling up. Is he going to evolve next level or two or something? Can you cancel an evolution??

It turns out that the coffee beans delivery was not enough to make me the #1 hunter in the land. Unfortunately, the blackboard is not feeding me any new quests, and neither are the demons I've engaged in conversation. Are there any obvious candidates for quests I've failed to find? I already did
the Amaterasu quest, Osiris, the devas quest, Nozomi's Black Maria quest, and Brigid's cauldron quest, among others
. I can give a complete list of the quests I've completed if that helps.

Did you do all the cameras quests and the one with maenad's wine? You need to access the last part of Ginza with the black card to be able to finish every single quest to get ranked first.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I'm done with Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion I'm going to dive into this. I've never really played any SMT game besides a bit of devil survivor. I'm not sure what to expect. Hoping I'll enjoy it, the last big JRPG I played was Tales of the Abyss so I'm looking forward to this.

Is it good about explaining everything to a player unfamiliar with the game and series? I have the guide book too from the limited edition but haven't gone through yet. Should I before playing? Thanks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Now that I'm done with Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion I'm going to dive into this. I've never really played any SMT game besides a bit of devil survivor. I'm not sure what to expect. Hoping I'll enjoy it, the last big JRPG I played was Tales of the Abyss so I'm looking forward to this.

Is it good about explaining everything to a player unfamiliar with the game and series? I have the guide book too from the limited edition but haven't gone through yet. Should I before playing? Thanks.

The game does a great job with its tutorial during the first few hours. Don't look into the guide since you'll get spoiled.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
They do, but you get poisoned/sick even more often. Whenever I have foolishly forgotten to carry over posmudi in a fusion I've started getting low on them.

Posumudi is one spell I kept throughout because of all those poison rivers/lakes. At least until my second playthrough when I had Vishnu, Salvation, and MP regen for the whole party and I just stopped caring.

I love the vagueness. I hate the waypoint-driven design of modern games.

I don't have any issues with directions that are "North of Ueno" or other major regions. But ones that name drop sub-regions that never surface save for the minimap when wandering around as the only locaton? Ridiculous.

slayn

I love the vagueness. I hate the waypoint-driven design of modern games.
I would have really appreciated the ability to pull back to a full map with a list of locations where you can point at a location by name and have it highlight on the map and vice versa or something.

There are sensible options they could have used that aren't just wayopints saying hey dummy go here.

Just finished the Chaos route. Didn't have to remake my whole team like I thought I would, I just fused a demon that nulled everything and had Dekunda and I was fine.

I don't really have much to say that hasn't been covered, I loved this game. It's easily one of my favorite JRPGs ever and it was amazing. I'm going to take a break from the game so I can finish some other games but this game was absolutely incredible.

Who else is pretty impressed by the visuals of this game? Next to Resident Evil Revelations, this might have some of the best 3D environments on the system. Really good stuff with a lot of attention to detail.

Hats off to Atlus.
I'm honestly more impressed with the sprites. Some of them are really well done.

Soulhouf

This.
Some consumable items give a lot of macca. I'm sure that I got more macca by selling useful items than artifacts. Also I'm constantly begging demons for money, which work pretty well.

I really like how the economy in this game works. It's pretty realistic.

Bogeypop

Thanks. I found it myself last night after leaving the topic, but I still appreciate the answer. The areas/directions for a lot of these challenge quests are complete garbage.

I had a hard time finding it too. I remembered where the Preliminaries were and on a whim checked some of the areas north from there and found it coincidentally.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What I love most about this game (and the SMT series, I guess) is how the moment you stop taking every single fight seriously, the enemies kick your ass and wipe you out.

Did you do all the cameras quests and the one with maenad's wine? You need to access the last part of Ginza with the black card to be able to finish every single quest to get ranked first.

Well, I did the quest with the Maenad's Wine, and I've been to the super-expensive stores in the black card-accessed area of Ginza. I suppose it's possible I've missed a photo quest, although I did the quest involving pictures of the underground shelter in Kasumigaseki, the for the old lady in Shinjuku, the guy who wanted advanced scouting of Ikebukuro, and the woman who wanted a photo of "Luis Witon" in Ginza.

Atlantis

I had to get rid of Posmudi off my healer due to lack of skill slots, but a fusion fodder demon in my stock leveled and asked to change a skill to it soon after.

My luck with Skill Changes has made me pretty happy.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Woo, got the neutral route \o/

Might reload an old save file to try the Chaos route later.

Since you get extras for playing new routes on NG+ I suggest doing that (you even get a little mark on your save file for every ending you see, if you're into that).

Alucrid

Banned
So what should my next app purchases be?

Got all skills for me and the demons
All MP recovery
Scout+
All summon discounts
Expand Stock +5

slayn

Well, I did the quest with the Maenad's Wine, and I've been to the super-expensive stores in the black card-accessed area of Ginza. I suppose it's possible I've missed a photo quest, although I did the quest involving pictures of the underground shelter in Kasumigaseki, the for the old lady in Shinjuku, the guy who wanted advanced scouting of Ikebukuro, and the woman who wanted a photo of "Luis Witon" in Ginza.
What about the egg quest or multi demon fusion? if you give me a completed quest list I will compare it to mine and see what I have that you don't.

slayn

All MP recovery
Scout+
All summon discounts
Expand Stock +5
I really liked the ones that let you fuse higher level demons that your current level. Late game I regularly had demons that were 10+ levels higher than me.

daripad

All MP recovery
Scout+
All summon discounts
Expand Stock +5
Fundraise +

People, I just reached
Tokyo
. I don't know where the hell am I supposed to go, but I'll take this chance to gather the.new demons and try new fusions

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Fundraise +

People, I just reached
Tokyo
. I don't know where the hell am I supposed to go, but I'll take this chance to gather the.new demons and try new fusions

I can't recommend Fundraise or Fundraise+. I hardly ever used it, since it was such a pain to use. Got much more money from getting macca gifts from scouted demons.

coopolon

I had to get rid of Posmudi off my healer due to lack of skill slots, but a fusion fodder demon in my stock leveled and asked to change a skill to it soon after.

My luck with Skill Changes has made me pretty happy.

I actually think letting you know what the skill will change into is one of the best changes they've made, along with picking demon inheritance.

In previous games I would almost never let a skill I use even occasionally mutate because so often it would change into something worst. But now that I know, I find myself using skill changes a lot, even when I'm losing a skill I use all the time, to gain a new skill.

Dresden

I usually have a utility demon stored with Estoma Sword, Posumudi, and Recarm in my stock.

All MP recovery
Scout+
All summon discounts
Expand Stock +5

Did you get the Skill Plugin from the Scout+ line of apps? If so, grab the Skill Augment app next. I get so many drain/null skills out of those apps.

Alucrid

Banned
I really liked the ones that let you fuse higher level demons that your current level. Late game I regularly had demons that were 10+ levels higher than me.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I usually have a utility demon stored with Estoma Sword, Posumudi, and Recarm in my stock.

Did you get the Skill Plugin from the Scout+ line of apps? If so, grab the Skill Augment app next. I get so many drain/null skills out of those apps.

The one that increases the chance for skills to mutate? Not yet, but if they usually mutate into good ones then I will.

What about the egg quest or multi demon fusion? if you give me a completed quest list I will compare it to mine and see what I have that you don't.

Here's my challenge quest list:

Collect Demon Claws - Closed
Gather Some Naraku Lichen - Done
The Lion's Roar... - Done
Chagrin Slaying... - Done
The Cursed Gauntlet - Done
Capture the Berserker - Done
I Want a Classy Down Quilt - Closed
Slaying the Dragon of the Lake - Done
Dance of the Dead - Done
A Drunkard's Best Friend - Closed
Missing Child Search - Done
Eggs for One Hundred - Done
I Want to Make the City Bright - Done
Competition for Blood - Done
Deliver the Film - Done
Isis' Search... - Done
Relic Recovery: Small Fridge - Closed
Relic Recovery: PC - Closed
Relic Recovery: Power Cable - Closed
Relic Recovery: Wind Turbine - Closed
The Secret to Durable Clothing - Done
Samurai and Hunters United - Done
Hunter Tournament Prelims - Done
Corpse Disposal - Done
Creating Fireproof Clothing - Closed
Quality Food - Done
Phantom of Madness - Done
Cu Chulainn's Training - Done
Shelter Inspection - Done
Her Memories - Done
Ikebukuro Free District - Done
Demon Guarding the Shrine - Done
Sunset for a Demonnapper - Done
The Malevolent Star Falls - Done
I'm No Good at Demon Fusion - Closed
Excavate Some Coffee Beans - Done
Protect the Tower - Done
I Require Ample Weaponry - Closed
Heavy Weapon Recovery - Done
Help Me Get Some Servers - Done
Banquet of Flames - Done
Hunter Tournament Finals - Done
RxW Smacktacular XIII - Done
Serial Kidnapping + Arson - Done
I Will Give You My Black Card - Done
The Great Drunkenness - Done
Take a Picture of Ginza For Me - Done
Overcome the Trial - Done
Osiris' Resurrection - Done
Samurai School in Nakano - Done
The Poisonous World - Closed
Food to Survive Tomorrow - Closed
Tokyo Bay Mixer - Closed
Rebirth of the Lady - Done
Multi-Demon Fusion - Done
Excavate Summoning Devices - Done
Find the Tears of the Messiah - Done
Wish of a Professional - Done
Tokyo Cosmos - Done
Recreating the Human Race - Done
The Cauldron - Done
Resurrection of the Kousoushin - Done
Training Battles 1-10 - Done

As far as the main quest goes, I'm still missing at least one terminal. Otherwise I'm just trying to complete "The Great Spirit of Hope."

Did you do the quest to resurrect Amaterasu

slayn

Here's my challenge quest list:

As far as the main quest goes, I'm still missing at least one terminal. Otherwise I'm just trying to complete "The Great Spirit of Hope."

Challenge quests you are missing that I completed before getting #1:
I'm afraid I don't know how I got them, but hopefully you can search the quest names.
Save the Old Man - takes place in shibuya, should have come from one of the challenge quest boards maybe try revisiting them all again?
Mysterious Story of Tennozu - Again, I think this came from a quest board. I'm almost positive you need this to get #1
Rebirt of the Great Overlord - pretty sure this becomes available after finishing Tennozu above.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

The terminal quest
can only be completed on Neutral (so you got lucky there!) and only after you've visited both dungeons.
So it isn't necessary to complete it right now.

Did you do the quest to resurrect Amaterasu

Yep!

Challenge quests you are missing that I completed before getting #1:
I'm afraid I don't know how I got them, but hopefully you can search the quest names.
Save the Old Man - takes place in shibuya, should have come from one of the challenge quest boards maybe try revisiting them all again?
Mysterious Story of Tennozu - Again, I think this came from a quest board. I'm almost positive you need this to get #1
Rebirt of the Great Overlord - pretty sure this becomes available after finishing Tennozu above.

Thanks! I'll make sure to check each of the quest boards again.

CSX

Warning to rich endgame players, if you're planning to hunt down the
Fiends
, beware of
Black Rider
cuz he will start his turn doing that "half your macca gone" move 5 times lol....

Question about side quests: other than the fetch quests, are there any that add to the overall storyline?

Also, which one gets you
the airship
?

Top Bottom