• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

coopolon

Odd question, I realize, but does SMTIV use the R button? Mine's not working and I just picked up the game on my lunch break.

You'll be fine without it, I often find myself just turning my character and hitting b to center camera behind him rather than using the shoulder buttons. It is like other 3d smt games in that regard.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Any specific details? Like where to encounter this demon, and which demon?
I don't think there are specific details (or if there are, I'm surprised I found as many of these quests as I did). I think just based on how far you are on the main quest any random demon can give you any of the quests. Just talk to every demon you come across for a while.

Yes, to rotate the camera to the right in the field and in dungeons, and to autobattle in battles.

You'll be fine without it, I often find myself just turning my character and hitting b to center camera behind him rather than using the shoulder buttons. It is like other 3d smt games in that regard.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like I can at least get started and then try to fix it later if it gets too annoying. It's been broken for a while, but the last few games I've played: FE, Icarus and AC haven't used it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I don't think there are specific details (or if there are, I'm surprised I found as many of these quests as I did). I think just based on how far you are on the main quest any random demon can give you any of the quests. Just talk to every demon you come across for a while.

I've had better luck with some than others, but I'm not sure what the relation is. I don't know who gave it to me on my first run, but on my second it was Pyro Jack.

magnetic

The soundtrack is easily my favourite part of this wonderful game.

It has such raw, powerful energy, reminds me a lot of those aggressive Namco sound team Ridge Racers hymns. Very japanese, very arcade-like, which perfectly fits with the Tokyo setting.

Even the biggest RPGs usually don´t last more than a couple of weeks for me, but I already know that this OST will be forever in my personal top 20 of game music.

Tabris

I wanted to get your guys opinion.

I don't have a 3DS and refuse to buy one until there is a good colour scheme for XL model (all black, all white, white/black, etc) but I want to be careful about not buying a game that may become a rare commodity.

Atlus used to be notorious for this. What's your recommendation? Wait until I buy 3DS / price drops or need to pick it up now?

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I don't have a 3DS and refuse to buy one until there is a good colour scheme for XL model (all black, all white, white/black, etc) but I want to be careful about not buying a game that may become a rare commodity.

Atlus used to be notorious for this. What's your recommendation? Wait until I buy 3DS / price drops or need to pick it up now?

Pick up the game now since the extra goodies/package are for the first print only and then buy a 3DS Black, which should probably come out in September/October.

Barakov

I'd say pick it up now. Unless you don't have a problem buying it digitally. The price for it is probably not going to change for the foreseeable future and this special edition is worth it for the strategy guide and soundtrack.

GeekyDad

So what are your end game teams guys? Like your 3-5 demons that can tackle any challenge in the entire game. The NG+ stuff.

I pretty much ended up with Metatron, Shiva, and Vishnu as my regular three, though certain battles I've called upon Mot, Mara, and Seth as well.

coopolon

Others have already answered, but most recent Atlus games are actually readily available at reasonable prices, even going back to the ps2 smt games. Of course, with Index problems, who knows what the future holds, but unless you really want the guide (the cd is nowhere near worth buying now for) I would say wait.

In addition, the game is on the eshop, so it will never be impossible to find (barring crazy things happening to index)

slayn

So what are your end game teams guys? Like your 3-5 demons that can tackle any challenge in the entire game. The NG+ stuff.
Don't plan to look at NG+ at all, but at the end my MC was my primary damage dealer. 319 magic with concentrate, megidola, antichthon, mediarama, floral gust, mabufudyne, thunder reign, and ragnarok. Antichthon is fantantasic, a megidola + debilitate in a single move.

My best demon is Vishnu, level 90, 698hp and 408mp
Antichthon, debilitate, salvation, victory cry, drain force, repel phys, mana surge, and enduring soul. I actually haven't learned all his abilities yet so I don't know what he learns last but as is he repels both physicals, drains force, and null light/dark. With victory cry he can freely use the 80mp Antichthon whenever and alternates between that and salvation as needed. His magic isn't the best, only 96, but 3 natural resistances, no weaknesses, and pretty good agility/luck make him a solid demon.

I also have a decent level 81 Kangiten. 427hp and 415 mana. 108 magic and casts mabufudyne with high ice pleroma. Also has null ice, drain fire, drain elec, and repel force to negate all elemental attacks and he naturally has null light/dark. That leaves only the physicals, which is why he also has Tetrakarn. And then finally Samarecarm. Since he lives through most anything he can then get people back up that went down.

From there the quality drops off rapidly. I have an ok level 87 Seth with 912hp and 182mp. He has Heaven's Bow plus bloody glee and high gun pleroma along with drain fire, null elec, and null force. He also naturally has null dark but he has a weakness to ice which can be painful. He hits pretty hard since strength and dex are both triple digits, but he needs better physical attacks than just heaven's bow. But I finished the game before that happened.

I pretty much ended up with Metatron, Shiva, and Vishnu as my regular three, though certain battles I've called upon Mot, Mara, and Seth as well.

See I considered those guys, but they are all STR demons. Well maybe Vishnu isn't. I haven't unlocked him.

How do I get Vishnu?

Bogeypop

Me 'n' mah homies Mara/Seth/Beelzebub be rollin' deep yo. I find it funny how I passed down Cold World and Salvation to Beelzebub. I'm sad most of the lvl 80+ demons are Special Fusions which require other Special Fusion'd demons. Ain't nobody got time for all dat fusion.

I use an all-drain Shiva, Vishnu, and use Mot as fiend bait. I'll probably replace Vishnu with one of the riders and Mot for Lucifuge or Trumpeter later.

I just started playing this (my first SMT, and first jrpg in a loooong time) and I'm really enjoying it so far! I have a couple of question though, that I was hoping someone could help me with:

1. I've heard it's recommended to put most of your level-up points into magic, and the rest in agility and luck. How far should I go in this? Should I ignore strength and dexterity entirely? Or should I still drop a point in them every other gained level or so?

2. When demons level up, it seems their stats increase randomly. Is it really random or is there a system behind it? Also, if my demons waste their level-up points (i.e. all in magic for a physical demon), should I just reload my previous save (if it's not too far back)?

3. Does playing on easy mode lock you out of any content?

Thanks in advance!

Atlantis

1. I've heard it's recommended to put most of your level-up points into magic, and the rest in agility and luck. How far should I go in this? Should I ignore strength and dexterity entirely? Or should I still drop a point in them every other gained level or so?

Pretty much boils down to focusing on either Magic or Dexterity as a main stat with Agility and Luck as secondary. Seems everyone agrees that Strength is useless.

2. When demons level up, it seems their stats increase randomly. Is it really random or is there a system behind it? Also, if my demons waste their level-up points (i.e. all in magic for a physical demon), should I just reload my previous save (if it's not too far back)?

You won't keep demons long enough for their level up stat gains to matter, don't bother.

Not sure about your third question, sorry.

slayn

Does a dex build have answers to Tetrakarn or natural physical immunity?I would imagine a dex build would work most of the time but could run into some nasty situations unlike magic + allmighty spells.

Dresden

Does a dex build have answers to Tetrakarn or natural physical immunity?I would imagine a dex build would work most of the time but could run into some nasty situations unlike magic + allmighty spells.

doesn't matter once you get Desperate Hit; almighty damage ignores everything.

Before that, though, so long as you keep both a physical and a gun skill in your loadout, you'll have no issues. I remember only one monster (Grimehlka) who negates both.

slayn

doesn't matter once you get Desperate Hit; almighty damage ignores everything.

Before that, though, so long as you keep both a physical and a gun skill in your loadout, you'll have no issues. I remember only one monster (Grimehlka) who negates both.
ah, I didn't realize there was an almighty physical skill (never came across it in game)

Shiva + Titania was my recipe. Vishnu has 94 for all stats, so isn't specialized in strength or magic.

Damn I'm like 8 levels away from being able to fuse Shiva. Should have invested in those fusion ceiling apps.

Me 'n' mah homies Mara/Seth/Beelzebub be rollin' deep yo. I find it funny how I passed down Cold World and Salvation to Beelzebub. I'm sad most of the lvl 80+ demons are Special Fusions which require other Special Fusion'd demons. Ain't nobody got time for all dat fusion.

I dunno how to even fuse any of those.

cj_iwakura

So after making a metric ton of Chaos aligned decisions(or so I think) at the Ginza point, the Cynical guy still says I'm a nice guy. Is it too late for me to hit the Chaos route or something? I don't want to wind up the Ashura-Kai's dog. :(

Will there be a solid point coming up where I can still shift to Chaos? I hope so.

Gaian Temple boss:
I actually really dig Lilith's new design, because damn it's creepy.

Atlantis

I'm still near the start of the game, but I've found going physical leaves a lot of empty skill slots for your MC. I'm filling them with support spells so he can always fall back onto those if he can't hit something.

Top Bottom