• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Any tips for Merkabah? Dat Chariot. Concentrate sucks, too.
It was a pain for me too. I had one demon casting debilitate every turn (it likes to use luster candy to null it, wasting a turn), another with dekunda to deal with chariot, and a dedicated healer. I had concentrate and megidola on my character as my damage dealer and I was doing about 1.5k a turn. It took me several tries, just keep trying. My strategy was pretty effective for me though

thefil

I don't have any issues with directions that are "North of Ueno" or other major regions. But ones that name drop sub-regions that never surface save for the minimap when wandering around as the only locaton? Ridiculous.

I would have really appreciated the ability to pull back to a full map with a list of locations where you can point at a location by name and have it highlight on the map and vice versa or something.

There are sensible options they could have used that aren't just wayopints saying hey dummy go here.

Fair points. Yeah, something like that would only have been a good addition. I would prefer the second quoted solution, though.

I get a little pissy because games like Skyrim and Deus Ex: HR are way worse than their classic versions at explaining things because they expect you to follow glowing waypoints instead.

BlackJace

It was a pain for me too. I had one demon casting debilitate every turn (it likes to use luster candy to null it, wasting a turn), another with dekunda to deal with chariot, and a dedicated healer. I had concentrate and megidola on my character as my damage dealer and I was doing about 1.5k a turn. It took me several tries, just keep trying. My strategy was pretty effective for me though

Doesn't he (she?) vary as a boss fight depending on alignment? I saw that you were on the Chaos route, so I'm not sure how different it is for me versus you.

Pretty much boils down to focusing on either Magic or Dexterity as a main stat with Agility and Luck as secondary. Seems everyone agrees that Strength is useless.

You won't keep demons long enough for their level up stat gains to matter, don't bother.

Not sure about your third question, sorry.

Got it, thanks.

doesn't matter once you get Desperate Hit; almighty damage ignores everything.

Before that, though, so long as you keep both a physical and a gun skill in your loadout, you'll have no issues. I remember only one monster (Grimehlka) who negates both.

There's also bullets that do almighty damage.

Fat Goron

So, I just began the game hoping for some quality JRPG that would make me forget that we're not in the best years for fans of the genre, and then I hear
Lightning

For fuck's sake, she won't leave us alone......

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So, I just began the game hoping for some quality JRPG that would make me forget that we're not in the best years for fans of the genre, and then I hear
Lightning

More like Liara and totally awesome.

Any of the early game armors worthwhile? Should I buy one of the sets that is initially available when I get the money, or should I save my cash?

What should I generally be spending money on in the beginning of the game?

GeekyDad

See I considered those guys, but they are all STR demons. Well maybe Vishnu isn't. I haven't unlocked him.

How do I get Vishnu?

Yeah, they all have relatively low MP, but I use them to debuff mostly and repel/drain. I think Vishnu was Arahabaki and (my personal favorite demon) Kushinada-hime. But I found Mara very useful just now against the White Rider. He's not as much a push-over as some folks make him out to be, and this is after defeating the Red Rider.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
O~HOOOO.

I am not entirely sure, but I am 99% positive that I have locked on the Neutral path. I am at the
Forest of Nothingness
IIRC, that's the name.
The wheelchair dude
greeted me, saying that I rejected
God's Will, Demon's Temptation, and the White Despair
and that I forge my own path.

I *am* locked onto Neutral path right now, yes? O~HOOOOOOO.

There's also bullets that do almighty damage.

It's also bloody expensive and does low damage. 400.000 gold for a 20 power damage? Gah.

Atlantis

Lightning

Had to Google to find out who she was playing. No opinion on Lightning, but I like Burroughs' voice a lot.

KLonso

Going to start my first playthrough soon. I've heard that physical builds are much harder, is this generally true? Because I want to try using guns, but if it makes the game much harder, then I'll just stick to magic, at least for my first playthrough

ohlawd

Lightning

Great as Liara and super amazing as Palutena.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Going to start my first playthrough soon. I've heard that physical builds are much harder, is this generally true? Because I want to try using guns, but if it makes the game much harder, then I'll just stick to magic, at least for my first playthrough

Just stick to the guns man. Just stick to the guns.

I am around 70 hours in, and the guns are beautiful.

Although I do agree in that I *think* generally speaking magic user MC have it easier, but guns can kick lots and lots of assess too.

Just stay away from STRENGTH.

Any of the early game armors worthwhile? Should I buy one of the sets that is initially available when I get the money, or should I save my cash?

I personally don't buy armor at the early stages of the game. Do you do DLC? The White Samurai armor is very good for beginning and lasts me a while. But just keep on trucking and save the money for the occasion where a boss hammered you with something that you don't have any defense of, or worse, your weakness.

Because nothing is worse to spend 5000 gold when your money is only 6000 for a cool looking Fire Strong/Ice Weak armor only to find out that the next boss spamming bufudyne on you.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I have only like 60 points in dexterity(compared to 135 magic) and I think guns are great. I have a megido gun with bullets that can insta-kill.

hawk2025

I feel really bad about some of the decisions I'm making in this game :(

A lot of it on the back half is like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Atlantis

My MC is physical with a mix of support skills and he's been very useful so far. I'm not very far, but I've heard the beginning is the hardest part.

Blusby

Well, 30 hrs in and running with a Dex/Luck build with Agility and was wondering if I should make any changes to my skills setup.
I have:
Tathlum Shot (Single, Gun)
Oni-Kagura (Single, Phys)
Javelin Rain (All, Phys)
Charge
Mediarama
War Cry
Recarm
Marakarn
Should I replace War Cry with Myriad Arrows for a multi-hit gun skill and leave the debuffing to my demons?

slayn

needs to show more effort.

Chest armor doesn't do much honestly except swap your resistance/weakness around. So once the starting armors weren't pricey compared to my money, I bought one of each so I could change my resistance at will and then never bought chest armor ever again.

Pants get steadily slightly better though as you get further in the game.

Watashiwa

So after making a metric ton of Chaos aligned decisions(or so I think) at the Ginza point, the Cynical guy still says I'm a nice guy. Is it too late for me to hit the Chaos route or something? I don't want to wind up the Ashura-Kai's dog. :(

The Ashura-kai aren't at all an issue past the
spoiler____________
. Hell, one of the highlights of the Law path is getting to punch-out
Mastema

Shit, how do I know what choice is Neutral at the end?

I can't seem to get it... I am almost positive I am chaos.
But when I choose Preserve the Status Quo it lets me.
it lets me. I guess I'll reload my save and pick the other option, but then it seems I'll get chaos. Unless it tells me I'm too far into law, but I am like 100% sure I am not.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Shit, how do I know what choice is Neutral at the end?

I can't seem to get it... I am almost positive I am chaos.
But when I choose Preserve the Status Quo it lets me.
it lets me. I guess I'll reload my save and pick the other option, but then it seems I'll get chaos. Unless it tells me I'm too far into law, but I am like 100% sure I am not.
That choice doesn't cement your position, it just pushes you quite far in either direction. What matters is who you meet afterwards.

Dresden

Well, 30 hrs in and running with a Dex/Luck build with Agility and was wondering if I should make any changes to my skills setup.
I have:
Javelin Rain (All, Phys)
Charge
Mediarama
War Cry
Recarm
Marakarn
Should I replace War Cry with Myriad Arrows for a multi-hit gun skill and leave the debuffing to my demons?

Myriad Arrows is a great single-target damage skill, I'd swap out Tathlum Shot for that. And try to get Oni-Kagura out for a multi-target physical skill, too.

You usually want at least one buff or debuff on your MC, just in case your demons are not enough.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have:
Javelin Rain (All, Phys)
Charge
Mediarama
War Cry
Recarm
Marakarn

I would suggest you throw away Mediarama and Recarm. Mediarama wouldn't be as effective considering you purport a Dex/Luck build and not Magic--just give Mediarama to your high Magic demons--and Recarm for the MC is largely useless IMO since revival beads/leafs are aplenty (I don't ever buy items and I am always full with them from battle drops--especially since my build is increasing Luck too.)

I also personally prefer multi-hit skills, and now I stay away from low hit skills like Oni-Kagura since they are unreliable and missing a turn in a fight can cost you very dearly, especially against bosses.

Are you choosing to
press the remote right away? I think that also adds +5 law or something so mess around with that. You can choose not to press the remote, leave the room, and then when you re-enter you avoid the +law... I think?

Hrrm I'll try that. But that's a glitch right?

Anyway I have a save file right before going to chaos world, so I can redo at least a few choices including one worth +5 or so law points (saying a world of equality isn't weird).

And if that isn't enough I'll just rage and cry. :(

cj_iwakura

Oi, crucial question after the Gaian temple.

If I picked all the Right/Law choices, can I still swing back to Chaos?

I have an earlier save if I can't.

When do the mp regen apps start appearing? So far all I've really bought is one skill slot and one demon slot

And what allows me to talk to slimes? Because I can't talk to them regularly apparently? And are there multiple talk skills you need to buy apps for in order to continue getting new demons on your team?

cj_iwakura

When do the mp regen apps start appearing? So far all I've really bought is one skill slot and one demon slot

And what allows me to talk to slimes? Because I can't talk to them regularly apparently? And are there multiple talk skills you need to buy apps for in order to continue getting new demons on your team?

A little ways down. They are SO worth it, but skill slots take priority.

And just one: Demonlingual.

I'm gonna be sad when I have to get rid of my current team of Throne, Orochi, and Loki.

Perfect skills to complement each other and they cover each others weaknesses perfectly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

The app required for you to talk to all the GRAAAHH &S&&S### talking demons is called Demolingual, and it unlocks after you are failing to talk into one of those demons.

It cost 20 AP.

As for the MP regenerating app, it will appear naturally, I believe, as you level up. I would advise getting the Skill slots for demons first and foremost though, since it directly impact your Compendium and skill selection the most.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What's the skill name for Severe ice damage and from what demon I can get it? I already gotten the severe version for all the other elements, only missing this one.

Phew, good to know. I'd hate to fight Roppongi's boss again.

Is there a point of no return I should look out for?

Well, I guess the better question is WHEN is it.

There is, but... not sure how to tell you that without spoiler.

Well, let's just say don't be too hasty on returning to the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. I am somewhat pissed when I did only to find out I could not leave and then all of my sidequests are closed. Gah.

Busaiku

Phew, good to know. I'd hate to fight Roppongi's boss again.

Is there a point of no return I should look out for?

Well, I guess the better question is WHEN is it.

You still have a little bit in terms of time, cause the next few sections are the longest, but in terms of decisions, you don't have too many, besides quests.
However, the next few decisions are very crucial.
What's the skill name for Severe ice damage and from what demon I can get it? I already gotten the severe version for all the other elements, only missing this one.
Ice doesn/t have a Severe, Cold World is the "ultimate" move.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You still have a little bit in terms of time, cause the next few sections are the longest, but in terms of decisions, you don't have too money, besides quests.
However, the next few decisions are very crucial.

Ice doesn/t have a Severe, Cold World is the "ultimate" move.

Huh, well that sucks.

Considering Cold World cost 50 mp, or 45 if you buy all of the MP reducing apps... much, much higher than the other severe version.

Ahhhhh... not worth it then. I'll just stick to Bufudyne and Glacial Blast--unless there is a heavy multi-hit Ice skill out there.

Cold World from King Frost?

Nah, it's still "Heavy", at least that's the description given by the game. 50 MP? No thank you.

Meh lost an hour of progress and hopefully I have enough choices in the chaos world to get out of the dreaded "stuck in law or chaos but not neutral" point range. Fuck my life.

Busaiku

Meh lost an hour of progress and hopefully I have enough choices in the chaos world to get out of the dreaded "stuck in law or chaos but not neutral" point range. Fuck my life.

Depending on how far you are (in terms of alignment), you might be stuck.
You can still get some based on the big decision, that could swing you the other way, but if you're too far gone, you're out of luck.

BearChair

So two quick questions,

First, how are you guys checking your alignment. I've met the guys in the bar, but that's all I've seen. Is there an icon that I've missed that straight up tells you what alignment you are?

Second
I just made it to blasted Tokyo and have the choice to either kill the demon or take on pluto. So far I've just been doing what I would do, but this choice appears binary and I don't know what to do. Can I do both? If not do you have a recommendation. As per the first question I don't know my alignment, but the guy in the bar says I'm polite. I'd like to go law. I sided with Walter at the split.

Top Bottom