• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

KarmaCow

I never gave it too much thought but is summoning demons through a cellphone a common thing in the SMT universe (outside of the Devil Survivor spin off)?

daripad

Law spoiler:
Where is the gate to the Expanse? I can't find.it, I've had 30 minutes going around the map and nothing :/

NeonZ

I never gave it too much thought but is summoning demons through a cellphone a common thing in the SMT universe (outside of the Devil Survivor spin off)?

Not really. Devil Survivor 2 is the only one that really used cellphones as the main tool to summon demons, aside from them being used by Tokyo's hunters in SMT4. Even the original Devil Survivor actually used thinly disguised DS (or 3DS for Overclocked) rather than cellphones (well, they had better network abilities than actual DS though).

Traditionally, the demon summoning devices are "brace" computers like the gauntlets here. The series started before there were cellphones with computer-like capabilities, so the portable computers, Comps, were originally imagined as these large clock-like tools.

Later entries showed the Devil Summoning program being used in anything that can run them, like how there are a bunch of weirdly shaped Comps in Soul Hackers - from gun-like ones to musical instruments. And, from that, going to cellphones is a logical progression, although it hasn't actually happened very often.

Snakeyes

It starts fairly mediocre, but gets stronger afterwards, especially if you like exploring and talking with npcs, rather than just following the main story scenes, before having a problematic final segment - mostly because the story in the final part of the game is split between alignments, so no path really has a last segment of the game that feels fully complete.

Good to hear. I was worried the SMT vibe would get toned down a bit to make the game appear more accessible, glad this isn't the case.

I beat it at level 70, so yeah, you were probably over-leveled a fair bit. 90 is crazy for normal end of game.

*Nervously laughs* Ha-haha...eheh...heh.

I finished the final two dungeons in the game on neutral route and I'm level 92 currently.
I blame my obsession with side quests and spending about 6-7 hours being lost in Tokyo looking for X item(s) for X side quest (camera quests and finding the demon domains for Amaterasu wasted the most time for jerkish placement).

Soulhouf

Question regarding the end game:
Is the music played in Lucifer's Palace a remix from SMTII? It's been a while, so I don't remember very well but it really sounds familiar.

Also, it's a big nostalgia thing but I read somewhere that SMTI & II title screen music is in the game. Where can I listen to them IG?

Got the bad ending today. After thinking about it a little I've decided to do a New Game + and only bring over the mandatory things (Skill Apps, Compendium, etc.) Way I saw it (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that this way I can actually end up a little stronger the next go around, since now I'm starting over with free apps that save me 240 app points in the long run.

I think I'll do Chaos > Law > Neutral after this, and start carrying everything over from there.

Ridley327

Good lord, the Tournament Finals can be such bullshit, especially the final opponent, where there's only one enemy that has an appreciable weakness. The reward was so not worth that crap.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Good lord, the Tournament Finals can be such bullshit, especially the final opponent, where there's only one enemy that has an appreciable weakness. The reward was so not worth that crap.

I didn't have a problem with it...

...at level 77. <_<

Hopefully I can finish this game up tonight. I didn't realize you had to do a bunch of side quests to continue the story in Neutral path.

KarmaCow

Not really. Devil Survivor 2 is the only one that really used cellphones as the main tool to summon demons, aside from them being used by Tokyo's hunters in SMT4. Even the original Devil Survivor actually used thinly disguised DS (or 3DS for Overclocked) rather than cellphones (well, they had better network abilities than actual DS though).

Traditionally, the demon summoning devices are "brace" computers like the gauntlets here. The series started before there were cellphones with computer-like capabilities, so the portable computers, Comps, were originally imagined as these large clock-like tools.

Later entries showed the Devil Summoning program being used in anything that can run them, like how there are a bunch of weirdly shaped Comps in Soul Hackers - from gun-like ones to musical instruments. And, from that, going to cellphones is a logical progression, although it hasn't actually happened very often.

I totally forgot about the (3)DS things in DS1 heh. I thought the Hunters using smartphones to summon demons was a yet another nod to an entry in the series but I wasn't sure if it was a series staple.

It seems like the main benefit is that it lets you tweak your alignment.

Ridley327

It seems like the main benefit is that it lets you tweak your alignment.

I figured as much; I killed all four of the hunters, and I'm still neutral, but then I figured that the events in the (Ginza spoilers)
Gaea temple
were a much bigger deal, given how that ends. I was Law before that area, for example.

Never played an SMT game before. Is this game more of a dungeon-crawler or does it have a strong focus on story and visiting different towns like regular RPGs?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Never an SMT game before. Is this game more of a dungeon-crawler or does it have a strong focus on story and visiting different towns like regular RPGs?

SMTIV does feel like a dungeon crawler. You'll be exploring towns and dungeons, going deeper and deeper and always trying to find the next "safe" point where you can heal, accept new quests, talk to npcs, buy stuff, etc.

The story in SMTIV is handled in a different way compared to other RPGs. You"ll get some short cutscenes here and there, but everything you learn about this world is done through interacting with other npcs.

Watashiwa

HahahahahHAHAHAHA. Oh my god I can't believe it. Got Neutral last night, very satisfying after previous failure to. But that's not why I'm laughing. I went back to Club Milton on a whim during another quest, and to my complete shock the Nocturne normal battle theme was playing. Not the whole thing, just the lyric part right before the guitar riff.

Game of the next generation, 10/10. Other games might as well be canceled, SMT 4 won.

Duders, what path offers the most content (boss fights, sidequests) Neutral or Chaos?

Unsure on which to take for this playthrough.

Chaos has the most NG+ content, but Neutral is the longest path. Do Chaos first, save Neutral for you send-off.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Duders, what path offers the most content (boss fights, sidequests) Neutral or Chaos?

Unsure on which to take for this playthrough.

JUHb0h4.jpg

Why can't I fuse these two? Do I need to get Melchom to Level 9?

KarmaCow

Neutral Ending Spoilers

Well I'm not sure what I was expecting but Masakado turning into giant monster, looming over Tokyo wasn't it. Also, was Tokyo the only target for God's wrath? There were a few NPCs talking about other cities but the in the Neutral ending it looked like the area just outside Tokyo was fine.

KarmaCow

I broke my wrist last weekend and I'm looking to try a new game. Is this game playable with one hand? Thanks!

Outside of battles, not really. Navigating the dungeons requires using the B button or R/L shoulder buttons to orient the camera and getting preemptive strikes requires using the face buttons. I mean you could play with one hand but you would be severely gimped, running into walls and getting into bad battles.

NeonZ

Never played an SMT game before. Is this game more of a dungeon-crawler or does it have a strong focus on story and visiting different towns like regular RPGs?

There are multiple town-like areas, a world map, many story sequences tying everything together and none of the dungeons here are really big. I'd say it's definitely the mainline SMT most like a standard RPG, rather than a dungeon crawler. The initial part of the game is structured more like a dungeon crawler, but that soon changes when a certain event happens.

The story often leaves things out to be discovered by the player exploring and talking with npcs though, rather than just doing everything in main story scenes. It's not as cutscene driven as some other JRPGs.

Neutral Ending Spoilers

Well I'm not sure what I was expecting but Masakado turning into giant monster, looming over Tokyo wasn't it. Also, was Tokyo the only target for God's wrath? There were a few NPCs talking about other cities but the in the Neutral ending it looked like the area just outside Tokyo was fine.

Remember, that
1500 years have passed outside of Tokyo.

KarmaCow

Remember, that
1500 years have passed outside of Tokyo.

Wait WHAT? Did I miss something,
I thought it was closer to 25 years since Masakado put the bedrock shell to protect Tokyo. Are Skins and Fujiwara supposed to be immortal?

NeonZ

I thought it was closer to 25 years since Masakado put the bedrock shell to protect Tokyo. Are Skins and Fujiwara supposed to be immortal?

It's 25 years inside the barrier, and for everyone in Tokyo, but outside of the barrier, like in Mikado, it has been 1500 years.

duckroll

No,
25 years passed in Tokyo, but 1,500 years passed in Mikado. The timeflow on the firmament is accelerated, probably because Gabriel needed to create and build a whole new society untouched by the influence of Tokyo before planning to reclaim what was lost below.

It's 25 years inside the barrier, and for everyone in Tokyo, but outside of the barrier, like in Mikado, it has been 1500 years.

I don't think Tokyo is special, I'm pretty sure it's Mikado which is. In the alternate realities where there is no firmament or barrier at all, it's still just 25 years.

KarmaCow

Ah okay, that certainly makes
Mikado make more sense. It did seem odd that somehow a completely new society out of the select few taken by the angels was formed in such a short time. I guess I missed that somehow.

Also is there any special significance to the fact that you can name the Mikado terminal?

Is there any particular reason to get the special fusion demons? I unlocked two of them, but they don't seem to be remarkably more powerful than normal demons.

Also, does anyone else think the healing sound effect from using a life stealing move sounds a whole lot like the healing sound effect from Metal Gear Solid?

duckroll

Is there any particular reason to get the special fusion demons? I unlocked two of them, but they don't seem to be remarkably more powerful than normal demons.

Yes, even if you don't want to use specific demons, it's good to fuse stuff to build a foundation. Remember, each demon you fuse can be fused into other combinations, which means you're unlocking new demon options as you go along. Several special fusion demons are also parts of recipes for other special fusion demons, so it would also unlock more choices for you in future.

Don't go out of your way for it, but if you can afford to, always fuse what you can.

Ridley327

Well, some of the special fusion demons require special fusion demons to create, so there's one reason!

One truly tangible benefit to the special fusions is that many of them require three demons to fuse, so you can draw from a pool of three demons for ability inheritance, which can lead to some really powerful combinations. Special fusion demons also tend to have more exotic abilities right off the bat, so they can be valuable for normal fusions, as well.

Another good reason: some demon families are exclusive to special fusions, and since some normal fusion branches require them, you'll have to make them to get some of them available.

Yes, even if you don't want to use specific demons, it's good to fuse stuff to build a foundation. Remember, each demon you fuse can be fused into other combinations, which means you're unlocking new demon options as you go along. Several special fusion demons are also parts of recipes for other special fusion demons, so it would also unlock more choices for you in future.

Don't go out of your way for it, but if you can afford to, always fuse what you can.

Well, some of the special fusion demons require special fusion demons to create, so there's one reason!

One truly tangible benefit to the special fusions is that many of them require three demons to fuse, so you can draw from a pool of three demons for ability inheritance, which can lead to some really powerful combinations. Special fusion demons also tend to have more exotic abilities right off the bat, so they can be valuable for normal fusions, as well.

Another good reason: some demon families are exclusive to special fusions, and since some normal fusion branches require them, you'll have to make them to get some of them available.

Some of them may offer abilities you don't see in more common demons, may be required to complete a quest, may be used to fuse other, special demons, or could be of a race you very rarely get to see, like Enigma. The latter, in turn, opens up some fusion possibilities you normally don't see.

Also, since most of them consist of 3+ demons, you could potentially create a demon with a varied move pool.

EDIT: Beat so hard.

Gotcha, thanks.

Also, does anyone else think the healing sound effect from using a life stealing move sounds a whole lot like the healing sound effect from Metal Gear Solid?
Some of them may offer abilities you don't see in more common demons, may be required to complete a quest, may be used to fuse other, special demons, or could be of a race you very rarely get to see, like Enigma. The latter, in turn, opens up some fusion possibilities you normally don't see.

Also, since most of them consist of 3+ demons, you could potentially create a demon with a varied move pool.

EDIT: Beat so hard.

NeonZ

I don't think Tokyo is special, I'm pretty sure it's Mikado which is.
In the alternate realities where there is no firmament or barrier at all, it's still just 25 years.

But you go to those
alternate timelines from Tokyo, which would explain why they're following its timeline. Masakado/the Goddess might have slowed down Tokyo to allow it to survive for a long time, until someone from the exterior world could save it. According to the Achangel DLC, they had always planned to wipe out Tokyo, and only didn't do it earlier because Mastema got Aquila and later someone else to stand in their way and capture them, so they didn't really need Mikado's people to be able to face Tokyo's.

Besides, Mikado is open to the outside world, and, in the neutral ending, the non-Mikado outside of Tokyo seems to resemble more Mikado than an area hit by nukes recently.

Either way, it doesn't seem like the main game ever explains if it's one or the other. I guess there's a chance the second angel DLC will explain it, or maybe Masakado's, but the first one didn't mention anything about the timeflow.

thefil

Finished at 57 hours, level 89, law path.

Game felt like coming home to mom's cooking. The last (J)RPG I played so... thoroughly was Lost Odyssey. I let myself spend tons of time grinding, did every side quest I could pick up, and geared up enough so that the final battles were cakewalks. In the end, I'm not sure it was a good idea; the experience re-affirmed for me that JRPGs are most fun when sticking to the critical path. It forces you to use your items, make the best use of skill, whatever. I prefer letting go of the anxiety of missing things and just going with the flow, and I'll definitely be critical pathing New Game+.

But I digress. I really enjoyed SMT4. I'd rank it:

Devil Survivor > Persona 3 > Persona 4 > Nocturne (unfinished) > SMT4 > Digital Devil Saga (unfinished).

The list is deceiving because this series delivers so high game to game. It was really fun, but I felt the binary nature of the story really let me down when compared to Devil Survivor or Nocturne. The demon conversations felt better to me in this game than in any other. The moment-to-moment writing is just fantastic (it feels like they learned a lot from Persona). The sheer magnitude of content is what most impresses. I'd expect a game this streamlined and efficient to be over in 20 hours, but I feel like there's tons left to discover.

I started a new game plus, but kept a save file at the end of the law path. I'm also interested in what endgame stuff I missed. I played the game completely guide-less outside of finding locations for a few challenge quests. I defeated two
challenge quests from Sister Gabby
, and I'm interested in more bosses like those.

Side note:
I bought some of the pay-to-win DLC and I really don't regret it. It's my first time buying any pay-to-win DLC. At the end of the game, I probably would have spent an extra 5-10 hours grinding macca to find enough money to fill in the compendium so I could see the special summons, not to mention grinding levels to find Null effects to use in fusion. I didn't use any of the money or XP items for anything but compendium and finding abilities. I think that speaks to the possibility of using this kind of DLC to save time without completely compromising the experience, but your mileage may vary.

Final party:

MC lv89 (39/183/30/180/181)
Deady Wind +3
Grand Tack +7
Recarm +3
Ziodyne +4
Heaven's Blow +4
Luster Candy +2
Riot Gun

Shiva lv93
Antichthon
Drain Ice
Drain Force
Berserker God
High Phys Pleroma
Hades Blast
Resist Gun
Victory Cry

Huang Long lv81
Victory Cry
Drain Gun
Salvation
Drain Fire
Riot Gun
Invitation
Drain Phys
Null Mind

Alitat lv87
Trisagion
High Fire Pleroma
Victory Cry
Antichthon
Drain Ice
Drain Force
Repel Elec
Concentrate

Clipped Wings 2 spoilers below.

These are definitely tougher than the first pair, with Gabriel at level 80 and Michael at 85. Gabriel's Lamentation is a return of the much beloved all-status-ailments skill, and Michael has a particularly punishing single-target Almighty that'll nearly one shot the MC. I'm still working on taking him down, but these are definitely much more of a challenge than Uriel and Raphael.

Hylian7

Boss I'm still stuck on spoiler:
King Kenji

I thought he did it, then did that "HAHA JUST KIDDING" bullshit. Does it make a difference if you say no to grabbing the remote? I've only gotten that far in the fight once. I can'f fuse this Alice everyone is talking about, and I can't make any end-all be all demon. I just made one that's resistant to most of his stuff but not all of it. I don't have enough MP and stuff to spam reflection every single turn though, especially since it's essentially wasted if he doesn't proc it (like if he uses Hades Blast when I have Makarakarn up).

Top Bottom