• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Finished the Law Ending and it was not that bad actually...

Kind of makes sense that they kill themselves because the "filth", not MIND CONTROL ending and Lucifer/Walter admits that he is in the same Paradox that Belial metioned that God is in...

I suppose that Isabeu was right that
Some sins can't be forgiven

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So my 8yr old was looking over my shoulder and asked what I was playing and I told him.

He said.. are you sure that's not Pokemon.. you keep collecting all those Pokemon.. but they are funny looking.

I said it wasn't Pokemon.. but then I realized.. I was kind of playing Pokemon in a way.

If he sees Mara, tell him he's an evolution of Digglet.

duckroll

Finished the Law Ending and it was not that bad actually...

Kind of makes sense that they kill themselves because the "filth", not MIND CONTROL ending and Lucifer/Walter admits that he is in the same Paradox that Belial metioned that God is in...

I suppose that Isabeu was right that
Some sins can't be forgiven

I don't need to be forgiven. :D

thefil

Wow, there are an insane number of demos. I've spent 400k macca so far just chain fusing with my compendium to try and fill in all the requirements for special fusions.

Wow, there are an insane number of demos. I've spent 400k macca so far just chain fusing with my compendium to try and fill in all the requirements for special fusions.

I'm wondering if this would be a better use of my time than trying to find certain optional bosses. I don't want this game to be over yet :(

KarmaCow

I was planning on going all completionist, trying to fill out the compendium while going for the other endings but then I heard about the fiends and their spawn rate. I'm almost done neutral and I think I'm going to put the game down to forget about it then do a hard mode run down the line.

I was about half a step away from getting the Macca DLC for the Ginza secret shop too but the fiend stuff snapped me out of it.

I realized what I was missing.

There was an area in Ginza that I went to for a split second but left because I wanted to continue with the main quest. :p I forgot to revisit it.

Derp.

-Horizon-

Finally started this after getting the game a while back and only playing a few minutes.

Now a couple hours later, got past the
Minotaur
boss which I had to get to level 15 and fuse to get Jack Frost to beat (after enduring multiple deaths before that).

Huh, I noticed that skills that cant be passed in the normal fusion, such as Yaso Magatsuhi's Shivering Taboo and Alice's Die For Me! can be passed in the in battle simple fusion...interesting.

daripad

Huh, I noticed that skills that cant be passed in the normal fusion, such as Yaso Magatsuhi's Shivering Taboo and Alice's Die For Me! can be passed in the in battle simple fusion...interesting.
Yeah, I just bought that app and it is really cool, is very esencial for the late and mid game.

Hylian7

A boss is kicking my ass again:
King Kenji: Defense buffs? Still can't survive. Sukajaja? Still hits anyway. Doping+1? Not enough HP. Using fire and wind? It doesn't matter, I can't kill him in one turn before he knocks out half of or all of my party in one turn. How do you beat the RNG factor here?

Hylian7

THIS. FUCKING. BOSS.

Oh, what's that? You found a working strategy, things were going well? WELL FUCK YOU THEN. Ancient Curse! Giving you every single status ailment at once!

"But Hylian, that is easy to deal with, just use a Me Patra and Dis Poisons or spells to take care of it all. Nope, that isn't happening, because you can't move due to bind while the Shodan from System Shock 2 crits your whole party down!

Seriously, the RNG in this game is bullshit when the boss gets crit after crit resulting in smirk after smirk in the same fucking turn!

esoterika

Neo Member
Watched the bad end (cool credits music!) and now I'm locked into Chaos. Level 70 with the app to let me have x+4 demons, I am unstoppable.

Also, lol (late-game chaos spoilers)
of course the school girl was Lucifer.

Hylian7

What's that? You are expecting a physical or magic attack? MAMUDOON! There goes 3/4 of your party, even with maxed out Sukaja!

Dresden

A boss is kicking my ass again:
King Kenji: Defense buffs? Still can't survive. Sukajaja? Still hits anyway. Doping+1? Not enough HP. Using fire and wind? It doesn't matter, I can't kill him in one turn before he knocks out half of or all of my party in one turn. How do you beat the RNG factor here?

Well, you cut down on RNG by getting a party that can break ailments and nulls instant death spells. Just equipping a silver necklace to resist binds will help. Alice is completely immune to ailments. Either one breaks his turns and lets you recover.

That + reflects makes this boss a joke.

woah

So my whole party had smirk, game said we regained our composure, remaining HP/MP healed back to full?!

Neutral route endgame spoiler question

edit:

I'm having issues with the Beelzebub any advice?

Also at the end game what's the best/better armor too find? I'm still rocking the green hero armor and it's getting old fast.

Hylian7

Well, you cut down on RNG by getting a party that can break ailments and nulls instant death spells. Just equipping a silver necklace to resist binds will help. Alice is completely immune to ailments. Either one breaks his turns and lets you recover.

That + reflects makes this boss a joke.
How does one get this Alice?

barrin87

I take back what I said yesterday since I just beat the Neutral ending! I want to see the Chaotic and Lawful paths but I think I might just Youtube those since I don't have the time to put that much time into the game again.

It was funny because when I dealt the killing blow to
Lucifer I dealt 666 damage to him.
Coincidence? I think it was fate.

smr00

Banned
Little OT but is the $30 deal still going? If you buy this and Fire Emblem? If so, does it matter what retailer? I assume you just need to redeem both club nintendo codes.

Just picked up a 3DS XL today and these 2 games are on the top of my must own list, if retailer doesn't matter i would prefer to get them via amazon.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Little OT but is the $30 deal still going? If you buy this and Fire Emblem? If so, does it matter what retailer? I assume you just need to redeem both club nintendo codes.

Just picked up a 3DS XL today and these 2 games are on the top of my must own list, if retailer doesn't matter i would prefer to get them via amazon.

Still going until the end if the month. Doesn't matter where you purchase the games; just enter the codes on CN.

TWILT

Banned

You still have until the 31st of this month. All you need to do is redeem both Club Nintendo codes.

smr00

Banned
Still going until the end if the month. Doesn't matter where you purchase the games; just enter the codes on CN.
I assume the Amazon one is still limited edition? Judging by the product page. Regardless, can't fucking wait to get my hands on this game.

Thanks!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I assume the Amazon one is still limited edition? Judging by the product page. Regardless, can't fucking wait to get my hands on this game.

Thanks!

Yeah, all the first print versions of the game should come with the limited packaging, so you should be ok.

Also, get ready man, amazing things are waiting for you....

Toth

For people having trouble with
Lilith
she is weak to guns and gun skills. Buy a good gun and have a few demons with strong gun skills and she is much more manageable.

Only a few hours in.

Cannot fine Navarre in the Naraku. I beat the hooded man and explored some more but can't go further because of the poison gas.

A hint would be nice. :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Only a few hours in.

Cannot fine Navarre in the Naraku. I beat the hooded man and explored some more but can't go further because of the poison gas.

Another tip is to try to fuse a demon that has the "Posomudi" skill (cures poison). It will be incredibly useful until the end of the game.

Only a few hours in.

Just breath in that hot pink gas (not too much though) and avoid demons when possible, there should be some dis-poisons or detox solutions nearby.

Alucrid

Banned
Another tip is to try to fuse a demon that has the "Posomudi" skill (cures poison). It will be incredibly useful until the end of the game.

I had one demon that I kept with me as my Posmudi slave. Pretty sure they got to level ~50 by the end of the game.

You have to go through the poison gas.
I'm sorry but you have to go through the poison
Just breath in that hot pink gas (not too much though) and avoid demons when possible, there should be some dis-poisons or detox solutions nearby.

Wow, thanks guys!

It's pretty interesting to read the posts of people that this is their first game of the series and the comparasions with Pokemon, I hope that is a sign that is selling well...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Urgh.

Just checked up on my alignment (shooting for neutral), and it appears several random fetch quests from Mikado favor law alignment just for completing them. Working my way back down from +20 or so is going to be a bit of a chore, lol.

On the other hand, fusing is addictive here as it is in Persona, shame it costs so much though.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Man, how I wish 3DS Miiverse was already out to see other people's experience with the game. I assume there would be tons of posts cursing at
Minotaur and Medusa
lol. I also want to see more Isabeau fan-art.

Tizzzzz

Neo Member
I had moments of frustration but I was largely putting up with them, enjoying the demon collecting aspect enough and not really minding the grind too much. However with the
minotaur boss
I was in a situation where whichever character was fighting with me decided to use a kind of attack that the boss was strong against, then they got Smirk status and used an all-crit attack wiping out my entire party on the next turn. When it's not only out of my control in terms of luck or whatever but also a character fighting with me actually screws me over, it doesn't get me very excited about the rest of the game.

I actually didn't realize the game had the option to lower difficulty but they hid it pretty obnoxiously. I'm fine with them unlocking the option as a result of dying but I was never going to discover it the way they hid it. The first time I died and had to watch that horrifically long lead-up to even speaking with Charon I vowed to immediately exit and restart the game when I died because it was way faster, and I also didn't want to waste money because [at least with the way I was playing] I didn't come across a whole lot of macca. I saved so frequently that it didn't seem smart to ever pay that toll, which is unfortunate.

If I had known I could unlock an easier difficulty I probably would have done it instead of sending the game back to GameFly, so maybe I'll get the game again later when my game choices die down a bit. Maybe the cutscene isn't even as long on subsequent deaths but the one time was certainly enough for me. :(

end game boss question

Beelzebub....I need to rock null sick, resist gun, & I'm guessing surviving megidolaon? Er...what? I don't think at 69 I could tackle that.

DSGamer

Neo Member
What's that? You are expecting a physical or magic attack? MAMUDOON! There goes 3/4 of your party, even with maxed out Sukaja!

I'm at a spot where that's happening to me right now. I'm frankly tempts to bail on the game. Especially with Mario and Luigi out next week in NA. Is the story alone worth hanging with the game, though? If I put it on easy would it cease to be fun?

I'm at a spot where that's happening to me right now. I'm frankly tempts to bail on the game. Especially with Mario and Luigi out next week in NA. Is the story alone worth hanging with the game, though? If I put it on easy would it cease to be fun?

Depends. It seems that, if you are not in neutral path, something or another will piss you off in the other paths.

In any case, fuse demons with resistences/nulls in Light/Dark or search for the Tarunda skill.

Caladrius

Minotaur
is the new Matador?

He is roughly analogous in the "Use status buffs or die!" position. I personally thought
Minotaur
was much easier, then again I beat Matador beforehand. Though on second thought
Minotaur
didn't have Red Capote and Taunt.

Top Bottom