• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

GeekyDad

Whelp...almost 150 hours later, I've completed all four endings. It's time to take a break, I think, so it's fitting I chose the last playthrough to
turn the world to nothingness.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Boss I'm still stuck on spoiler:
King Kenji

I thought he did it, then did that "HAHA JUST KIDDING" bullshit. Does it make a difference if you say no to grabbing the remote? I've only gotten that far in the fight once. I can'f fuse this Alice everyone is talking about, and I can't make any end-all be all demon. I just made one that's resistant to most of his stuff but not all of it. I don't have enough MP and stuff to spam reflection every single turn though, especially since it's essentially wasted if he doesn't proc it (like if he uses Hades Blast when I have Makarakarn up).

My dude, why are you having so many troubles with this guy? Find someone with Tetrakarn and it will be the easiest shit ever. lol

duckroll

Clipped Wings 1 & 2 non-spoiler impressions:

- It's "interesting" that they're doing PAY DLC to fill in gaps of the backstory in the game. *cough*

- It's disappointing that they couldn't even be bothered to voice the DLC content, especially since they're charging 5 bucks for 4 boss battles.

- The story content is extremely light, but it definitely fits with the plot in a way people who liked the story would care to know about. Feels like cut content to me though.

- The boss battles themselves are pretty good. Didn't have much issue with the first set of battles with my endgame party, but the second set kicked my ass because I wasn't fully prepared for the second fight.

- If you're buying this DLC with anything other than the 30 free Nintendo bucks, you're probably going to feel ripped off.

CSX

Clipped Wings 1 & 2 non-spoiler impressions:

- It's "interesting" that they're during PAY DLC to fill in gaps of the backstory in the game. *cough*

- It's disappointing that they couldn't even be bothered to voice the DLC content, especially since they're charging 5 bucks for 4 boss battles.

- The story content is extremely light, but it definitely fits with the plot in a way people who liked the story would care to know about. Feels like cut content to me though.

- The boss battles themselves are pretty good. Didn't have much issue with the first set of battles with my endgame party, but the second set kicked my ass because I wasn't fully prepared for the second fight.

- If you're buying this DLC with anything other than the 30 free Nintendo bucks, you're probably going to feel ripped off.

I agree completely especially with 2nd and 3rd point

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Finally finished this game.

72 Hours.

Neutral Ending.

The only part I wasn't crazy about was that 10-15 hour doing quests to advance the story. If I didn't enjoy the game that much, I probably would have reloaded a save and went Chaos.

esoterika

Neo Member
Finally finished this game.

72 Hours.

Neutral Ending.

The only part I wasn't crazy about was that 10-15 hour doing quests to advance the story. If I didn't enjoy the game that much, I probably would have reloaded a save and went Chaos.

Is there something about the Neutral path that requires doing a bunch of quests? o.o

Mupod

Fuck yeah somehow got locked into neutral (what I wanted) without following any guides and just going on my instincts. It's crazy how few Law choices I actually made throughout the game though, must have been all those damn sidequests.

Soriku

W4Vijmq.jpg

Screw Neutral/Chaos/Law, I'm going for the Crazy Killer Clown ending.

But seriously though I got locked into the Neutral path. I actually did the majority of quests I could get before then. Not that many have alignment choices but if there are they're only +1 or -1 usually so as long as you balance them you'll be fine. The two Hunter tournaments have four choices that can give you +1 or -1, but again balance is key.

I did talk to the suicidal lady and told her I'm human but all you do then is just
side with Walter at the split and say to preserve the status quo to the Whites
, and then just keep picking the first choice for all alignment questions and go three times left at Passage of Ethics. Pretty simple.

johnsmith

remember me
Ugh, the neutral path is so stupid. I had no idea what to do, and now that I figured it out I have to do about a dozen hours of filler garbage when I just want to beat the game and move on to Dragon's Crown.

Finished the game, with the Chaos Ending.

Fantastic game overall, but I was a bit letdown by how easy the endgame was on the Chaos Route. The final boss was a complete pushover.

I'll definitely be playing through again to go Neutral, and I probably won't have my final thoughts on the game until I do so.

Is SMT III like SMT IV when you walk around? As in you could see demons before you fight them and hit them/get an advantage? I want to buy Nocturne badly after playing IV (only $18 new) but I dunno if it'll eventually show up on PSN :(

Is SMT III like SMT IV when you walk around? As in you could see demons before you fight them and hit them/get an advantage? I want to buy Nocturne badly after playing IV (only $18 new) but I dunno if it'll eventually show up on PSN :(

No it's random invisible encounters. Annoying frequency at that.

End of Neutral route questions:

After clearing Lucifer's Palace do any sidequests get locked out? Or can I still go walk around and do things as usual until I decide to go start the credits?
Also noticed that I can head back to Infernal and Desert Tokyo, which is pretty neat. Probably should go do those sidequests too.

Oh, also this is on NG+, what bonus/special bosses are available?

totowhoa

Banned
Any way to check your alignment at a bar or wherever after pressing "the button" in Tokyo? Havent seen it yet and I was neutral leading up to the whole shibang. Just beat one of the first bosses in the new area,
Pluto

Watching the credits roll on the Neutral ending now.

What a fan-fucking-tastic game. It may not have Nocturne's console-level presentation, but Shin Megami Tensei IV otherwise lives up to its name and then some. What a great follow-up to Nocturne. Loved it even more than I even hoped I would. Bravo, Atlus. Bravo.

Probably right behind The Last of Us for my GOTY so far.

Watashiwa

Made top three in the Championship Rankings. Turns out that's the trigger for people's dialogue to change. I love how their dialogue reflects what the entire main quest is about; NPCs talk about hope and inspirations. It's actually really encouraging to hear them talk about my character where they used to talk about Yuriko or Tayama.

Going to do a bit more grinding to grab some anti-Fiend demons. Any suggestions for Red Rider?

Soriku

Woah the Bay area on the world map is pretty big. And I think it's all optional, though it might be required for the Neutral route. The entrance is past a tunnel near the red tower at Roppongi.

IV gets off to such a slow start compared to Nocturne. In Nocturne, and even Digital Devil Saga, the world changes dramatically within the opening sequence of the game. With IV it's been a bit of a slog to get to the
land of the Unclean Ones
, where it looks like the game finally starts to open up and look a bit more like a proper SMT.

Still not sure of what to think about the Etrian Odyssey/Monster Hunter quest structure. At times it's kind of distracting with it's progress changes and updates.

Also some of the sprite-work,
Meduse
, is kind of awful. Especially compared to the average monster sprites you encounter in regular battles.

Clipped Wings 2 spoilers below.

These are definitely tougher than the first pair, with Gabriel at level 80 and Michael at 85. Gabriel's Lamentation is a return of the much beloved all-status-ailments skill, and Michael has a particularly punishing single-target Almighty that'll nearly one shot the MC. I'm still working on taking him down, but these are definitely much more of a challenge than Uriel and Raphael.

Michael's single target Almighty is weird. Its Physical and fixed damage. Means it can crit but damage stays the same but causes half press turn use and chance for smirk.

Sakura

I finished the Neutral route the other day on my second play through, first play through I just chose the bad end so I could get the new game plus and do neutral route. Total play time was under 39 hours. This is the only SMT proper game I've played, and I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed.

I thought the game was alright in the start and at the first twist, but it goes downhill really fast. The characters have very little development and might as well not even exist other than for me to align to. There isn't much plot either. You are kind of just going around doing missions the whole game until you decide what you want to do at the split. The ending itself was really abrupt too and kind of just ends. I would have liked more exposition, after story, etc. The things I liked most were the music, and walking around talking to NPCs in rooms getting their views on the world. Hopefully if/when they do an SMTV, they put a bit more work and budget into it.

I have a few questions (again), can someone please help me with these?

1. Is it possible to find the requirements for each route without spoiling myself? If so, can someone tell/link me?

2. If my main character is focused on magic, I should just get a powerful attack from each element plus maybe a healing skill, while leaving the buffing/debuffing/healing to demons, right?

3. Is the Panic Caster skill ('increases effectiveness' of magic for a few turns and also self-inflicts panic) any good? I have the option to transfer it from a demon to my main character, but I don't know if I want to lose any of my current skills.

gxDkxNR.jpg

How...HOW. I read that he's weak to Bufu and I have my character and another demon using Bufu. Still can't kill him. I always get to the 4th dialogue line thinking I'm close to killing him, and then he uses an attack that destroys all of my HP ;_;

Ourobolus

Banned
Anybody have any tips for the Fiends? I know the spawn rate is ridiculous, but if you have a piece of DLC it makes it slightly less of a pain for some of them (speaking of which, I bought the XP DLC after beating the game for this purpose...holy hell that breaks the game). I'd really just like to understand their weaknesses since I don't want to enter the fight, lose but learn their weakness, and then spend hours upon hours trying to get them to respawn again. I really don't have THAT much time to spend

I keep reading they spam Almighty skills if meet some conditions, but they aren't clear. Is it:
- One demon nulls phys + the fiend's element
- All demons null phys + the fiend's element
- One/All demons null phys -OR- the fiend's element
or what?

gxDkxNR.jpg

How...HOW. I read that he's weak to Bufu and I have my character and another demon using Bufu. Still can't kill him. I always get to the 4th dialogue line thinking I'm close to killing him, and then he uses an attack that destroys all of my HP ;_;

Do you have Sukunda/Sukukaja? That'll help a ton.

The Hermit

Welp, I downloaded SMT IV even though I've never played any of the previous game just because of the SMT + FE promotion... but I did it on the wrong eShop (brazilian) that wasn`t linked to my club nintendo account.

Does anyone here have a US code, won`t register to club nintendo and it willing to donate? If you want I'll even show pics proving I bought it

Welp, I downloaded SMT IV even though I've never played any of the previous game just because of the SMT + FE promotion... but I did it on the wrong eShop (brazilian) that wasn`t linked to my club nintendo account.

Does anyone here have a US code, won`t register to club nintendo and it willing to donate? If you want I'll even show pics proving I bought it

Call Nintendo Support and say your system was set to the wrong region. They may be able to help you.

Soulhouf

I finally defeated the game. Took exactly 70:34 hours, neutral ending.

To be honest, this game was like a dream, That's what I always wished to see in SMTIV but seeing how the video game industry is going and the path the megaten series took, I couldn't believe this would ever happen. I'm an old gamer and I consider myself a big fan of the series since SMT1.
For some reason SMTIV was like a miracle for me. My impressions are perhaps skewed because of my low expectations and all the fan service the game contains, but at least I'm satisfied and came back from the game with a big smile on my face and tears in my eyes.

Of course the game isn't perfect but these flaws are easily fixable. What's more important is that the team who made this game fully understood SMT essence and that makes me confident on the series future.
Thank you based Atlus, thank you.

For those who are curious, here is my team:

IMG_1416.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1448.jpg

Kerrinck

I am at about level 12 and I keep investing all of my stat points in Magic with a bit on Agility.
Am I going to get screwed in the future if I keep this pattern?

Forkball

Wait a minute... POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Hikaru means light in Japanese... like a star... morning star... LUCIFER I CRACKED THE CODE

Ugh, this mandatory challenge quest stuff on the Neutral line just took all of the wind out of my sales. Killed the game's momentum as bad as the Triforce Hunt in Wind Waker. Kind of wishing I had picked a different route now.

duckroll

By how much does the Concentrate skill boost your damage? Is it worth taking?

If you're a high magic user, it's absolutely worth it. Instead of casting 2 heavy damage spells which cost say 40 MP each, you can cast Concentrate instead for 10 MP, and then cast the 40 MP spell once to do more than twice the damage.

GeekyDad

By how much does the Concentrate skill boost your damage? Is it worth taking?

Just a rough estimate (having used a magic build through four playthroughs), I'd say it's about two and half times the damage of a regular cast, not factoring in weaknesses. It was worth it to me. You lose a round, but that extra damage on your next turn makes a big difference, especially at the higher levels.

duckroll

It's not really losing a round, especially when you factor in the benefits. Let's say you have a 40 MP spell which does 500 damage normally. If you cast it twice, you'll do 1000 damage, but it costs you 80 MP and two turns. With Concentrate, you'll do about 1200 damage, at the cost of 50 MP and two turns.

rugioh

Banned
Need someone to clear something up for me.

Why exactly are the tournament matches necessary? I didn't end up doing them before Tsuji and the button has been pushed so I don't think I can backtrack to it now.

If you're a high magic user, it's absolutely worth it. Instead of casting 2 heavy damage spells which cost say 40 MP each, you can cast Concentrate instead for 10 MP, and then cast the 40 MP spell once to do more than twice the damage.

Just a rough estimate (having used a magic build through four playthroughs), I'd say it's about two and half times the damage of a regular cast, not factoring in weaknesses. It was worth it to me. You lose a round, but that extra damage on your next turn makes a big difference, especially at the higher levels.

Hadn't thought about the MP benefit. Thanks people.

Top Bottom