• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This game is the Last of Us of handheld games. After finishing it I couldn't resume or start any other game. I guess I'm starting my Chaos playthrough sooner than I thought.

Watashiwa

Just a heads up--turns out that Fundraise really is a great way to make money. There's a combo system in place where a specific status effect, when used with a talk skill, results in a "conversational crit", yielding the maximum possible benefits and only taking up half a turn (and providing a chance of smirk). Next time you pass the hat around try binding your target--if they can't move, they can't stop you from taking everything they have.

Shengar

Just got my account approved, I want to pop my cherry in this (un)holy thread
I've got a few question though regarding some challenge quest early-mid game
where did the coffin of Osiris located? I search through all Naraku floor and didn't found a thing. Also, how high is Seth level in this quest? I don't want to get my party ass-wiped

Seda

Finally got around to playing this and making some progress. I just beat Minotaur in Naraku and found the first Terminal.

Fusing demons is as addicting as ever, it's so fun and satisfying to build a balanced team of demons, and I can't wait until I am able to get some of the big name high level demons.

I also really like the tavern music, it's my favorite so far.

duckroll

Just a heads up--turns out that Fundraise really is a great way to make money. There's a combo system in place where a specific status effect, when used with a talk skill, results in a "conversational crit", yielding the maximum possible benefits and only taking up half a turn (and providing a chance of smirk). Next time you pass the hat around try binding your target--if they can't move, they can't stop you from taking everything they have.

It's not that great, since you only get like 1-2k each time this way. Even if you can make like 5k from a battle, it takes time when you're skipping all the text. It's much quicker to just farm relics in places which consistently have 4-star to 5-star stuff.

Watashiwa

Just got my account approved, I want to pop my cherry in this (un)holy thread
I've got a few question though regarding some challenge quest early-mid game
where did the coffin of Osiris located? I search through all Naraku floor and didn't found a thing. Also, how high is Seth level in this quest? I don't want to get my party ass-wiped

Fourth strata, path behind the waterfall that dead ends. White quest marker pops up if you've accepted the quest and talked to Isis, though you have to be right on top of it before it shows up.

It's not that great, since you only get like 1-2k each time this way. Even if you can make like 5k from a battle, it takes time when you're skipping all the text. It's much quicker to just farm relics in places which consistently have 4-star to 5-star stuff.

While 4 and 5 star relics DO have higher yields, they also have 2 hour respawn rates at Ginza, and the end-game areas where respawn rates are more reasonable can't be reached until, well, the endgame. And even then it's at least an hour between harvests. Fundraise+ is the most consistent when you have a demon with Bind Voice.

PK Gaming

Finally got around to playing this and making some progress. I just beat Minotaur in Naraku and found the first Terminal.

Fusing demons is as addicting as ever, it's so fun and satisfying to build a balanced team of demons, and I can't wait until I am able to get some of the big name high level demons.

Boy, do we have bad news for you...

Just kidding, glad you jumped on board the SMTIV train!

Soulhouf

The music will keep delivering till the end.
Enjoy the game, it's a rare gem.

Soriku

Fuck off Beelzebub. Finally got him down.

I had a Fafnir with null elec so that was good alongside with his reflect physical and resist gun innate, Ghiremkhala who has reflect physical and drain gun innate but no electric resistance (thankfully Beelzebub didn't use Maziodyne), and Quetzalcoatl who was there for support and had null elec and reflect physical innate.

My Fafnir also had Debilitate and my Quetz had Luster Candy which were both crucial to the fight as they let me survive his Megidolaons, and they both had healing skills as well (Mediarahan and Mediarama) but I was still forced to use a Summon Stone, Great Chakra, and Bead Chain.

My MC just used Concentrate + Trisagion when he could which did anywhere from 1600-2600+ damage because he has 254 magic.

Beelz's Death's Door + Megidolaon combo is pretty cheap if he uses it, I'm pretty sure there's no way to survive that unless it's possible for one of your guys to dodge Megidolaon, which I don't know if it's possible either and definitely not very likely if it is.

Edit: Sorry Fafnir not Fenrir.

Apparently Beelzebub is only a lvl 70 fusion according to the SMT IV tool. Kinda disappointing as the rest of my guys are already higher than that and he was lvl 90 boss. So I don't think I'll be using him.

I have null nerve on all my demons and nothing seems to phase me aside from sleep and panic.

mahamayuri is a special fusion and i believe is the earliest demon to have salvation.

duckroll

Didn't even bother with Salvation. I found a much easier way to beat the DLC battles. Pro-tip: If an attack causes multiple status ailments, as long as you have immunity against one of them, you block the entire attack. Lol! :D

Clott

Just got the game started, super excited as it is my first SMT game, if you don't count P4. But I was wondering what was the best way to distribute the stat point for my MC, I really don't want to bone myself this early in the game.

NeonZ

Just got the game started, super excited as it is my first SMT game, if you don't count P4. But I was wondering what was the best way to distribute the stat point for my MC, I really don't want to bone myself this early in the game.

Strength is the least useful physical attack stat, since it doesn't add much damage to physical skills. If you're going with a physical mc (dex focus) you'll also want some luck since it increases the chances of critical its and critical hits give press turns.

Also, not related to growth, but, finish off all other enemies before attempting to negotiate with demons, especially in the beginning when you'll likely fail quite often.

Shengar

Fourth strata, path behind the waterfall that dead ends. White quest marker pops up if you've accepted the quest and talked to Isis, though you have to be right on top of it before it shows up.

While 4 and 5 star relics DO have higher yields, they also have 2 hour respawn rates at Ginza, and the end-game areas where respawn rates are more reasonable can't be reached until, well, the endgame. And even then it's at least an hour between harvests. Fundraise+ is the most consistent when you have a demon with Bind Voice.

Thank you for your help! I managed to find even though I've searched that area before. It seems I searched not deep enough. Seth a cheapass though, I avoid him all the way through 3rd and 2nd floor. Can't touch me and my trigger finger at all. I don't know what ass wipe I'll received if he caught me though.

Soulhouf

Didn't even bother with Salvation. I found a much easier way to beat the DLC battles. Pro-tip: If an attack causes multiple status ailments, as long as you have immunity against one of them, you block the entire attack. Lol! :D

Yeah, that's why my MC was rocking the anti bind ring through the entire game. But you need salvation for him to cure the demons who get infected.

Andrew J.

Been doing quests around Shinjuku for a while. It seems like enemy encounters have started dropping much more experience (relative to my level) than before.

Alright....what the hell am I missing? Neutral Chalice Spoilers here
I've done EVERY challenge quest minus some of the training battles and killing Beelzebub. I've read that those are not required to fill the chalice. Thank god too because Beelzebub is kicking my ass. I've checked every bounty board, there are no other quests in my log except for ones I can't do in Mikado. What am I missing? Why am I stuck at rank 2?

Busaiku

Alright....what the hell am I missing? Neutral Chalice Spoilers here
I've done EVERY challenge quest minus some of the training battles and killing Beelzebub. I've read that those are not required to fill the chalice. Thank god too because Beelzebub is kicking my ass. I've checked every bounty board, there are no other quests in my log except for ones I can't do in Mikado. What am I missing? Why am I stuck at rank 2?

Probably missing the photo quests.
There's an old lady in Shinjuku (at the end of the hall in the underground, big door), a girl in the Shinjuku entrance area (left side of the map), a girl in the path to Ginza that's in Kasumigaseki (the right side), and a guy in the Shinjuku west entrance (like as soon as you get out of the underground).

Einbroch

Banned
My only major complaint with the game is the fusion system. You can special fuse with demons from the compendium, why can't you normal fuse with them as well? It's really annoying and tedious to remember which demons to save for which fusions, only to forget a day later because you took a short break, and then you don't even remember what demon you were going for at all.

Really, really annoying and unnecessary. Still loving it, that said.

My only major complaint with the game is the fusion system. You can special fuse with demons from the compendium, why can't you normal fuse with them as well? It's really annoying and tedious to remember which demons to save for which fusions, only to forget a day later because you took a short break, and then you don't even remember what demon you were going for.

Uh, you can normal fuse with compendium demons.

You check off include compendium in the search options.

Busaiku

My only major complaint with the game is the fusion system. You can special fuse with demons from the compendium, why can't you normal fuse with them as well? It's really annoying and tedious to remember which demons to save for which fusions, only to forget a day later because you took a short break, and then you don't even remember what demon you were going for at all.

You can, there's a box for that in the options.
But you'll probably get a "too many results", so you'll want to narrow down your search.

Cocaloch

One of the items in the search options is to include demons from the compendium.

Einbroch

Banned
Uh, you can normal fuse with compendium demons.

You check off include compendium in the search options.

God. Dammit. I seriously have a notebook next to me FILLED with the names of demons and their fusion partners.

Well, that'll help me for the last couple hours of the game, I suppose.

Probably missing the photo quests.
There's an old lady in Shinjuku (at the end of the hall in the underground, big door), a girl in the Shinjuku entrance area (left side of the map), a girl in the path to Ginza that's in Kasumigaseki (the right side), and a guy in the Shinjuku west entrance (like as soon as you get out of the underground).

I did the old lady one, did the girl in shinjuku, did the guy in west shinjuku. Hmmmmm. you might be right with the girl on the way to ginza. Don't remember that one. Thanks, I hope thats it!

Also WOW, count me with Einbroch. I've been leaving notes filled with what demons to combine for certain demons this whole game. I never realized you could see what youcan fuse with the compedium. Wow wow wow.

duckroll

Not only can you fuse demons from the compendium normally, but you can also narrow down the search by race/skill/whatever, and then sort the results by price. Lol!

Not only can you fuse demons from the compendium normally, but you can also narrow down the search by race/skill/whatever, and then sort the results by price. Lol!

Yeah, the fusion search features are incredible. My favorite addition to this game, and it makes fusion so much more enjoyable. Basically every improvement I ever could have asked for, plus several I would have never even thought of.

Ridley327

I was kind of blown away that you can select which demon to include and to not include. This is Rock Band 3 levels of filtering goodness.

Sendou

So I'm having some trouble figuring out what to do next (mild spoilers about 10-20 hours in): I just
destroyed the demon's domain in Kasumigaseki and activated the terminal there. Main quest says that I should continue searching for Black Samurai in Tokyo but nothing specific. I completed every side quest but some relic hunts and "Hunter Tournament Prelims". The latter seemed way too hard for my current level. Should I grind before I can pass that or is there something else to do?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm having some trouble figuring out what to do next (mild spoilers about 10-20 hours in): I just
destroyed the demon's domain in Kasumigaseki and activated the terminal there. Main quest says that I should continue searching for Black Samurai in Tokyo but nothing specific. I completed every side quest but some relic hunts and "Hunter Tournament Prelims". The latter seemed way too hard for my current level. Should I grind before I can pass that or is there something else to do?

You need to go to Shinjuku

Remember a guy in the map who gives you directions? Go north from there and there will be a dude who can take you to a new part of the map on boat

mjc

I feel stupid but I can't find the military base in Ueno. I've looked all around the map and it's not in the underground so far as I can tell...help!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I feel stupid but I can't find the military base in Ueno. I've looked all around the map and it's not in the underground so far as I can tell...help!

It's not at Ueno

At Ueno, go to the bar that's in the underground part. Talk to the guy to the right and he'll give you a mission. When you accept the mission, you have to go to a Pond Area where you have to fight a boss. After you beat the boss you can go to the lower left part of the map and talk to the bunch of ghostly looking horses who will create a bridge for you to cross to another part of the map. The military base is there.

Military base is not in Ueno. You need to do a quest then some kelpies will build a bridge to another area where the base is.

Watashiwa

#TeamNeutral ekes out a win against #TeamLaw.

Had to remake my entire party to do. Beat the Law head with Barong, Amaterasu and Kangiten--had to do a fusion chain to cover Amaterasu's electric weakness, wound up adding Null Physical while I was at it. I was surprised at how effective the team wound up being; I didn't get to have most of the conversations with the enemy because I was killing it too fast. Out of curiosity, what's the proper response to
For what reason do you fight and Merkabah judging you
?

Doing some quests now, then heading on to punch out an Overlord.

EDIT: Oh duckroll, you'll be interested to know that the amount you can get from enemies scales with their level. End game enemies like Barbatos and Murmur can yield between 4k and 5k per shakedown. Given that they appear in groups...

fek

Just beat the game today, neutral route. It really was an amazing experience from the start to end. Now I think I'll try chaos route.

I was thinking of playing this in a survivalist way in the future. No fusion or upgrading Burroughs. Can only negotiate and such. No items to revive demons, may only rely on demon spells. Maybe even if a demon is killed in battle, thats it for that demon. I am thinking of more ideas for this. Sounds like those hardcore pokemon runs lol.

Top Bottom